We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
14 Dec-14:27:04 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Philippe Durand)
14 Dec-04:11:46 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Tobi)
14 Dec-00:39:36 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
13 Dec-14:23:20 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Jordi Fabre)
13 Dec-11:03:26 Re: merry christmas 2018! (Pete Richards)
13 Dec-09:31:02 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Peter Lemkin)
13 Dec-05:10:07 Re: franjungle collection (Franjungle)
13 Dec-04:56:12 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (James)
13 Dec-01:13:46 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
12 Dec-17:35:45 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Wendellwilson)
12 Dec-15:27:27 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Herman Van Dennebroek)
12 Dec-14:13:45 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
12 Dec-13:21:13 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)
12 Dec-12:45:07 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Philippe Durand)
12 Dec-09:43:21 Re: collection of michael shaw (Crosstimber)
12 Dec-09:00:41 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Peter Lemkin)
12 Dec-08:45:38 Re: collection of heimo hellwig (Heimo Hellwig)
12 Dec-07:31:11 Re: baryte collection of niels brouwer (Niels Brouwer)
12 Dec-07:00:24 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Peter)
12 Dec-06:41:06 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Herman Van Dennebroek)
12 Dec-05:39:42 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Stefan Koch)
12 Dec-05:18:42 Re: best labeling material for collection numbers on specimens (Peter Lemkin)
12 Dec-02:50:42 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)
12 Dec-02:35:40 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Heimo Hellwig)
12 Dec-02:11:01 Re: the collection of pierre and riana joubert (Pierre Joubert)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Dec 14, 2018 16:50

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tobi

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2018 02:38    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Wonderful specimens and really good photos, Niels, please more! :-)
Reply to topic Reply with quote

franjungle
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2018 06:49    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Very nice specimens from San Giovanni Mine, Sardinia / Sardegna, Italy.

Congratulations Niels.

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2018 15:21    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Tobi wrote:
Wonderful specimens and really good photos, Niels, please more! :-)

franjungle wrote:
Very nice specimens from San Giovanni Mine, Sardinia / Sardegna, Italy.

Congratulations Niels.

Thanks for your comments guys! I'm glad you enjoy them.

Time for a new update, once more from the famous Grube Clara in the Black Forest in Germany. I find it fascinating how many different colours, forms, habits and sizes of baryte crystals have been found there over the years, due to the many successive phases of geological activity at this locality.

NCB-701-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg
 Mineral: Baryte
 Locality:
Clara Mine, Rankach Valley, Oberwolfach, Wolfach, Black Forest, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
 Dimensions: 6,5 x 5,5 x 4,0 cm
 Description:
Translucent baryte crystals with a subtle shade of pink, many of which are double terminated.
 Viewed:  2067 Time(s)

NCB-701-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg

NCB-914-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-1.jpg
 Locality:
Clara Mine, Rankach Valley, Oberwolfach, Wolfach, Black Forest, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
 Dimensions: 8,1 x 5,6 x 4,5 cm
 Description:
Rather unusual radiating formation of slender pink 'Meißelspat' baryte crystals, partly covered by a white outer layer. Amongst the radial baryte crystals are some double ended ones that formed in a different orientation.

NCB-914-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-1.jpg

NCB-914-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-2.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 8,1 x 5,6 x 4,5 cm
 Description:
Close-up of previous image.
 Viewed:  2064 Time(s)

NCB-914-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-2.jpg

NCB-919-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-1.jpg
 Mineral: Baryte, Goethite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 5,7 x 4 x 3,8 cm
 Description:
Stack of clear parallel blocky baryte crystals, included with intricate 'clouds' of goethite.
 Viewed:  2069 Time(s)

NCB-919-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-1.jpg

NCB-919-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-2.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 5,7 x 4 x 3,8 cm
 Description:
Close-up.
 Viewed:  2069 Time(s)

NCB-919-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-2.jpg

NCB-161-Baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 8 x 6 x 3 cm
 Description:
Freestanding baryte crystals up to 6 cm with interesting parallel growth patterns with a nice contrast between the greyish blue centre and orange ends.
 Viewed:  2068 Time(s)

NCB-161-Baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg

NCB-163-Baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 7,5 x 4,6 x 4,2 cm
 Description:
Lustrous, transparent baryte grown on a coarse white baryte matrix. Quite a challenge to photograph.

NCB-163-Baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg

NCB-722-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 4 x 2 x 1 cm
 Description:
Some baryte crystals, heavily included with black and brown goethite. One of the crystals has an interesting tan-coloured termination, somewhat reminiscent of a clenched fist with the index finger pointing upwards.
 Viewed:  2076 Time(s)

NCB-722-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg

NCB-800-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-1.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 9,3 x 8 x 2,5 cm
 Description:
Thin plate consisting of honey-coloured baryte crystals. The second photo shows the interesting phantoms and crystal habit in more detail.

NCB-800-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-1.jpg

NCB-800-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-2.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 9,3 x 8 x 2,5 cm
 Description:
Close-up of the phantoms within the crystals.
 Viewed:  2065 Time(s)

NCB-800-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany-2.jpg

NCB-920-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 6,7 x 4,2 x 2,8 cm
 Description:
Upstanding baryte crystal var. 'Meißelspat' (chisel spar). The front face of the main crystal is covered by a second generation of smaller crystals.

NCB-920-baryte-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg

NCB-802-baryte-fluorite-quartz-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg
 Mineral: Baryte, Fluorite, Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 7,3 x 6,6 x 4,9 cm
 Description:
Clear quartz and cubic fluorite on a base of tabular white baryte.
 Viewed:  2065 Time(s)

NCB-802-baryte-fluorite-quartz-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg

NCB-818-baryte-fluorite-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg
 Mineral: Baryte, Fluorite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 11,3 x 6,6 x 5,8 cm
 Description:
Clear cubic fluorite on white tabular baryte, which in turn is covered in a dark layer of goethite.
 Viewed:  2068 Time(s)

NCB-818-baryte-fluorite-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-Germany.jpg

Tobi

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2018 01:54    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Great samples from one of Germany's most famous mines, Niels!

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2018 16:35    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Picking up where I left off last time, I have two more baryte specimens from Grube Clara I wanted to share.

819-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 14,4 x 12,3 x 10,2 cm
 Description:
Grube Clara is not only famous for the remarkable number of different mineral species that have been found over the years, it has also produced an astonishing variety of baryte specimens. This diversity, both in species and baryte habits, can be attributed to three main consecutive phases of hydrothermal activity. The baryte from this first period is known as 'Messerspat', or 'knife spar', and is easily distinguished by the thin white tabular habit. In later hydrothermal phases, this primary baryte partially dissolved and was redeposited as 'Honigspat' and 'Meißelspat' respectively. The former, 'honey spar', is characterised by the yellow colour reminiscent of honey. The latter, 'chisel spar', is usually clear, although it very often displays brown, orange and yellow phantoms and appears in a multitude of different habits.

This specimen shows a relatively rare example in which all three types are present. The white matrix consists of the first phase, showing the tabular habit in the cross section (although no complete crystals are present). This is covered by more blocky yellow baryte from the second phase, that partially shows parallel growth to the first generation. The second baryte layer has been covered by black manganese oxides, before the third generation of baryte grew on top of it all. The third generation features the largest crystals, ranging from clear to orange due to inclusions. This very distinctive habit is sometimes referred to as 'Walmdach'-habit, as they resemble the shape of the roofs of the vernacular Black Forest farm houses. Some empty space can be observed in places between the second and third generations, indicating that some other mineral or pocket clay has been dissolved away. Finally, some of the third generation crystals also show marks where their growth was impeded by a now disappeared mineral.
 Viewed:  949 Time(s)

819-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald.jpeg

819-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-close-up.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 14,4 x 12,3 x 10,2 cm
 Description:
Cloase-up of the third generation baryte crystals.
 Viewed:  948 Time(s)

819-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Schwarzwald-close-up.jpeg

169-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Oberwolfach-Schwarzwald-Duitsland.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 14 x 7 x 6 cm
 Description:
Pointed chisel-shaped crystals showing some interesting phantoms. Part of these phantoms is formed by the usual yellow zoning that you see more often in baryte from Grube Clara. However, in this case the crystals partially have inclusions of coarser brown grains, similar to the matrix on which the crystals have grown.
 Viewed:  950 Time(s)

169-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Oberwolfach-Schwarzwald-Duitsland.jpeg

169-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Oberwolfach-Schwarzwald-Duitsland-close-up.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 14 x 7 x 6 cm
 Description:
Cloase-up.
 Viewed:  949 Time(s)

169-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Oberwolfach-Schwarzwald-Duitsland-close-up.jpeg

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2018 17:33    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Personally, I find that I can appreciate mineral specimens even more when I'm familiar with the surroundings in which they have been found. As I live quite close to the German border here in the Netherlands, I've spent quite a few holidays and business trips all across Germany, and visited a fair number of the famous baryte mines. For me, the often stunning beauty of the surrounding landscapes this country has to offer, combined with the wealth of mining history adds a lot of context and character to a any specimen. I guess that's why German baryte always is always a favourite of mine.

770-Bariet-Elizabeth-Gideon-Krummenhennersdorf-Erzgebirge-medium.jpeg
 Locality:
Elisabeth Spat vein, Tiefer Gideon adit, Großolbersdorf, Marienberg, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 5,2 x 3,4 x 1,7 cm
 Description:
Doubly terminated baryte crystals to 29 mm, with the colour ranging from a subtle clear blue to a orange-red.
 Viewed:  936 Time(s)

770-Bariet-Elizabeth-Gideon-Krummenhennersdorf-Erzgebirge-medium.jpeg

166-Bariet-chalcopyriet-Dreislar-Sauerland.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte, Chalcopyrite
 Locality:
Dreislar Mine, Dreislar, Winterberg, Sauerland, North Rhine-Westphalia/Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
 Dimensions: 7,5 x 4 x 2 cm
 Description:
Relatively large, wafer-thin freestanding blade of baryte. Small golden chalcopyrite crystals are scattered across its surface, with a few smaller baryte blades along the edges. Quite an unusual specimen compared with the instantly recognisable specimens that are normally seen from this classic locality.
 Viewed:  936 Time(s)

166-Bariet-chalcopyriet-Dreislar-Sauerland.jpeg

707-Bariet-fluoriet-Finstergrund-Schwarzwald-medium.jpeg
 Locality:
Finstergrund Mine, Wieden (Schwarzwald), Lörrach, Freiburg, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
 Dimensions: 17,1 x 12,4 x 7,4 cm
 Description:
Large plate of baryte matrix consisting of fine beige blades, hosting a number of yellow cubic fluorite crystals.
 Viewed:  937 Time(s)

707-Bariet-fluoriet-Finstergrund-Schwarzwald-medium.jpeg

813-Zilver-bariet-Stolln-7-Lauter-bei-Aue-Erzgebirge-medium.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte, Native silver
 Locality:
Adit no. 7, Oberpfannenstiel, Lauter-Bernsbach, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 2,8 x 2,3 x 1,8 cm
 Description:
This time the baryte itself isn't necessarily the main attraction, but instead hosts wonderfully intricate dendrites of native silver.
 Viewed:  939 Time(s)

813-Zilver-bariet-Stolln-7-Lauter-bei-Aue-Erzgebirge-medium.jpeg

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2018 17:49    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Continuing the German series with more baryte from a very prolific mining area. The Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains in English), the name says it all. In the context of what I wrote in my previous post, I've never been to this eastern region, so it is still very high on my wish list of places to visit.

887-Bariet-fluoriet-Grube-Uranus-Annaberg-Erzgebirge.jpeg
 Locality:
Uranus Mine, Letzte Hoffnung Stehender vein, Kleinrückerswalde, Annaberg-Buchholz, Annaberg District, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 6,9 x 4,0 x 2,8 cm
 Description:
Two golden yellow baryte crystals on heavily etched fluorite. The sides of the fluorite reveal nice yellow and purple zoning. Green specks of what appears to be weathered chalcopyrite are distributed across the surface of the fluorite, would need analysis to determine the exact species.
 Viewed:  934 Time(s)

887-Bariet-fluoriet-Grube-Uranus-Annaberg-Erzgebirge.jpeg

906-Bariet-Bergmannisch-Gluck-Frohnau-Erzgebirge.jpeg
 Locality:
Frisch Glück adit (Adit 134), Bergmännisch Glück Flacher vein, Frohnau, Annaberg-Buchholz, Annaberg District, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 2,8 x 2,3 x 1,8 cm
 Description:
Clear golden prismatic baryte entirely covering the fluorite matrix. The baryte shows beautiful yellow fluorescence under long wave UV light.
 Viewed:  935 Time(s)

906-Bariet-Bergmannisch-Gluck-Frohnau-Erzgebirge.jpeg

907-Bariet-fluoriet-Bergmannisch-Gluck-Frohnau.jpeg
 Locality:
Frisch Glück adit (Adit 134), Bergmännisch Glück Flacher vein, Frohnau, Annaberg-Buchholz, Annaberg District, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 5.7 cm x 4.8 cm x 2.3 cm
 Description:
Wonderful combination of yellow prismatic baryte on yellow cubic fluorite with beautiful purple zoning. Small purple fluorite and golden chalcopyrite are scattered across the surface of the fluorite. The baryte shows a nice yellow fluorescence under long wave UV light.
 Viewed:  933 Time(s)

907-Bariet-fluoriet-Bergmannisch-Gluck-Frohnau.jpeg

927-Bariet-kwarts-Pöhla-Erzgebirge.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte, Quartz
 Locality:
Pöhla-Tellerhäuser Mine, Pöhla, Schwarzenberg District, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 8,2 x 5,9 x 1,9 cm
 Description:
Remarkably clear golden yellow baryte crystals to 10 mm on a quartz matrix. I find the thin plate of matrix fascinating too, as the epimorphic underside shows the very distinct shape of cubic fluorite. The baryte has grown on both sides of the quartz plate, which must have taken place after the fluorite had been dissolved away. Dark specs of chalcopyrite and a touch of red from a hematite layer adds further contrast to the specimen.

927-Bariet-kwarts-Pöhla-Erzgebirge.jpeg

927-Bariet-kwarts-Pöhla-Erzgebirge-back.jpeg
 Locality:
Pöhla-Tellerhäuser Mine, Pöhla, Schwarzenberg District, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Description:
Reverse side, showing the clear fluorite epimorphs.

927-Bariet-kwarts-Pöhla-Erzgebirge-back.jpeg

927-Bariet-kwarts-Pöhla-Erzgebirge-close-up-1.jpeg
 Locality:
 Description:
Close-up of the clear golden baryte right on the side of the quartz.

927-Bariet-kwarts-Pöhla-Erzgebirge-close-up-1.jpeg

Tobi

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2018 04:07    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

A wonderful collection of German barite classics. As a German collector, minerals from Germany are among my favourites, also, barite is becoming more and more a mineral that I like. So I really enjoy your gallery, the more because your photo quality is superb!

Sehr schön, weiter so :-)

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2018 09:04    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Tobi wrote:
A wonderful collection of German barite classics. As a German collector, minerals from Germany are among my favourites, also, barite is becoming more and more a mineral that I like. So I really enjoy your gallery, the more because your photo quality is superb!

Sehr schön, weiter so :-)

Thanks again for your comments, Tobi. I hope you won't be too disappointed if I switch to posting different countries every now and then. ;)

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2018 10:08    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

A couple of Italian barytes from the wide range of variations that Sardinia has produced over the years.

767-Bariet-Monte-Onixeddu-Gonnesa-Sardinië-medium.jpeg
 Locality:
Monte Onixeddu Mine, Gonnesa, Carbonia-Iglesias Province, Sardinia / Sardegna, Italy
 Dimensions: 9,6 x 8,9 x 6,0 cm
 Description:
Large cluster of lustrous, clear to honey-coloured baryte crystals.
 Viewed:  509 Time(s)

767-Bariet-Monte-Onixeddu-Gonnesa-Sardinië-medium.jpeg

766-Bariet-Grotta-di-Santa-Barbara-San-Giovanni-medium.jpeg
 Locality:
San Giovanni Mine, Punta della Torre, Iglesias, Carbonia-Iglesias Province, Sardinia / Sardegna, Italy
 Dimensions: 10,9 x 9,0 x 5,2 cm
 Description:
During mining works in the San Giovanni Mine, they came across a vast cave system with walls covered in pointy brown baryte crystals. Only a few specimens ever came out due to protection of the cave soon after discovery.
 Viewed:  510 Time(s)

766-Bariet-Grotta-di-Santa-Barbara-San-Giovanni-medium.jpeg

766-Bariet-Grotta-di-Santa-Barbara-San-Giovanni-closeup-2-medium.jpeg
 Locality:
San Giovanni Mine, Punta della Torre, Iglesias, Carbonia-Iglesias Province, Sardinia / Sardegna, Italy
 Description:
Close-up of the same specimen, showing the layer of minute baryte blades that grew as a second generation on the sides of the larger crystals.
 Viewed:  506 Time(s)

766-Bariet-Grotta-di-Santa-Barbara-San-Giovanni-closeup-2-medium.jpeg

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2018 06:53    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

A couple of specimens from Romania, the country which got me started with collecting baryte in the first place.

964-Bariet-orpiment-Baia-Sprie-Romania.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte, Orpiment
 Locality:
Baia Sprie, Maramures, Romania
 Dimensions: 8,5 x 6,6 x 5,3 cm
 Description:
Intergrown, steely blue to slightly purple, tabular baryte with distinct yellow zoning due to inclusions of orpiment.
 Viewed:  414 Time(s)

964-Bariet-orpiment-Baia-Sprie-Romania.jpeg

964-Bariet-orpiment-Baia-Sprie-Romania-close-up.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte, Orpiment
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 8,5 x 6,6 x 5,3 cm
 Description:
Close-up of the largest crystal.
 Viewed:  415 Time(s)

964-Bariet-orpiment-Baia-Sprie-Romania-close-up.jpeg

850-Bariet-Cavnic-Roemenië-medium.jpeg
 Locality:
Cavnic mining area, Cavnic, Maramures, Romania
 Dimensions: 9,7 x 8,0 x 3,3 cm
 Description:
Sharp tabular baryte crystals up to 2 cm with a transparent yellow colour. The thin plate consists completely of baryte, with a higher ridge making it a more three-dimensional specimen.

850-Bariet-Cavnic-Roemenië-medium.jpeg

34-Bariet-Baia-Sprie-Roemenië-medium.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 10,8 x 7,8 x 3,7 cm
 Description:
Rosettes of very thin lustrous orange baryte, grown along the edges of the darker matrix.

34-Bariet-Baia-Sprie-Roemenië-medium.jpeg

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2018 07:19    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Next up, a few from the classic mining regions of the UK.

888-Bariet-Mowbray-Mine-Frizington-medium.jpeg
 Locality:
Mowbray Mine, Frizington, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 13,4 x 8,1 x 5,5 cm
 Description:
Large chocolate brown intergrown baryte crystals with slightly lighter coloured, complex terminations.
 Viewed:  405 Time(s)

888-Bariet-Mowbray-Mine-Frizington-medium.jpeg

900-Dufton-Fell-Mine-Dufton-Cumbria-UK.jpeg
 Locality:
Dufton Fell Mine, Dufton, Eden District, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 11,9 x 8,5 x 8,3 cm
 Description:
Large clear tabular baryte crystals to 55 mm lining the inside of a cavity. The mine originally operated as a lead mine, as so many others in the region, but it was one of the first to switch to mining baryte instead. Specimen dates back to before the first world war.

900-Dufton-Fell-Mine-Dufton-Cumbria-UK.jpeg

900-Dufton-Fell-Mine-Dufton-Cumbria-UK-close-up.jpeg
 Locality:
Dufton Fell Mine, Dufton, Eden District, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 11,9 x 8,5 x 8,3 cm
 Description:
Close-up of the clear baryte crystals.

900-Dufton-Fell-Mine-Dufton-Cumbria-UK-close-up.jpeg

690-Bariet-Cleator-Moor-medium.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte, Hematite
 Locality:
Gutterby Pit, Cleator Moor, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 7 x 3,5 x 2,5 cm
 Description:
Parallel white tabular baryte crystals with contrasting pink colours due to inclusions and surface coating of hematite.

690-Bariet-Cleator-Moor-medium.jpeg

129-Bariet-Admiralty-Quarry-Isle-of-Portland-UK.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte, Calcite
 Locality:
Admiralty Quarry, Isle of Portland, Portland, Weymouth and Portland District, Dorset, South West Region, England, United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 5 x 3,5 x 2 cm
 Description:
In visible light, the chocolate brown baryte contrasts nicely with the white calcite matrix...

129-Bariet-Admiralty-Quarry-Isle-of-Portland-UK.jpeg

129-UV-Bariet-Admiralty-Quarry-Isle-of-Portland-UK.jpeg
 Locality:
Admiralty Quarry, Isle of Portland, Portland, Weymouth and Portland District, Dorset, South West Region, England, United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 5 x 3,5 x 2 cm
 Description:
... whereas under UV light, the baryte sheaves display a beautiful dark yellow fluorescence and phosphorescence.

129-UV-Bariet-Admiralty-Quarry-Isle-of-Portland-UK.jpeg

703-Bariet-Frizington-Cumbria-UK-medium.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte, Dolomite
 Locality:
Frizington, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 7,9 x 4,1 x 1,7 cm
 Description:
Classic light blue, lustrous, complex cockscomb crystal of baryte with minor beige dolomite where the crystal was attached to the matrix. A band of slightly more yellow zoning runs along the middle of the crystal.
 Viewed:  404 Time(s)

703-Bariet-Frizington-Cumbria-UK-medium.jpeg

723-Bariet-calciet-Machen-Quarry-Caerphilly-Wales.jpg
 Locality:
Machen Quarry, Machen, Caerphilly, Wales, United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 8,2 x 5,5 x 4,0 cm
 Description:
Bright white baryte with orange coating, dusted from one side with bright, nicely contrasting white calcite.
 Viewed:  404 Time(s)

723-Bariet-calciet-Machen-Quarry-Caerphilly-Wales.jpg

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2018 07:38    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Another couple of German barytes. The vast amount of variation between the different localities in Germany, or even within a single mine, never ceases to amaze me.

996-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Oberwolfach-Schwarzwald.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 11,4 x 9,9 x 6,2 cm
 Description:
Cluster of large clear blocky baryte crystals. These crystals formed parallel over an earlier generation of baryte. In the matrix, several clear blue cubic fluorite crystals are enclosed by baryte.
 Viewed:  397 Time(s)

996-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Oberwolfach-Schwarzwald.jpeg

961-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Oberwolfach-Schwarzwald.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 10,4 x 8,3 x 6,6 cm
 Description:
Cluster of freestanding golden yellow pointed baryte to 5 cm. The colour gives rise to the nickname 'Honigspat' or 'honeyspar', whereas the crystal shape to 'Meißelspat' or 'chisel spar'. On a matrix of an earlier generation of baryte.
 Viewed:  397 Time(s)

961-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Oberwolfach-Schwarzwald.jpeg

961-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Oberwolfach-Schwarzwald-close-up.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 10,4 x 8,3 x 6,6 cm
 Description:
Close-up of the freestanding crystals.
 Viewed:  398 Time(s)

961-Bariet-Grube-Clara-Oberwolfach-Schwarzwald-close-up.jpeg

1058-Bariet-Steinbruch-Winterberg-Bad-Grund-Harz.jpeg
 Locality:
Winterberg Quarry, Iberg, Bad Grund, Göttingen District, Harz, Lower Saxony/Niedersachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 6,8 cm x 6,5 cm x 6,4 cm
 Description:
Rounded groups of lustrous elongated tabular baryte crystals. The outer layer of the baryte is clear, whereas the core is opaque. Brown goethite gives a nice contrast.
 Viewed:  398 Time(s)

1058-Bariet-Steinbruch-Winterberg-Bad-Grund-Harz.jpeg

947-Bariet-Pöhla-Erzgebirge.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 18,3 x 11,3 x 8,3 cm
 Description:
Large example of golden baryte on green fluorite matrix from this classic German locality. When these barytes were found in the mine, a specialist team would extract them. At the time, most of these were sold in West-Germany in order to bring back western currency to the DDR, although a fair number found their way into the personal collections of the miners.
 Viewed:  403 Time(s)

947-Bariet-Pöhla-Erzgebirge.jpeg

Tobi

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2018 13:50    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Thank you for those impressions, Niels, your specimens are simply great and your photos are of the finest quality! And that 18 cm Pöhla specimen ... incredibly beautiful, a true museum piece!

Please more :-)

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Dec 07, 2018 18:31    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

Tobi wrote:
Thank you for those impressions, Niels, your specimens are simply great and your photos are of the finest quality! And that 18 cm Pöhla specimen ... incredibly beautiful, a true museum piece!

Please more :-)

Thanks again Tobi, the one from Pöhla certainly takes pride of place right in the centre.

Niels Brouwer

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2018 07:31    Post subject: Re: Baryte collection of Niels Brouwer  

I finally got around to photographing some of the new additions of the past year, so here's a selection of them.

891-Bariet-Teplice-Usti-Bohemen-Tsjechië.jpeg
 Locality:
Teplice, Ústí Region, Czech Republic
 Dimensions: 4,0 x 3,4 x 2,7 cm
 Description:
Several transparent golden yellow baryte crystals with darker phantoms. Accompanied by an old Dr. A. Krantz label, dated between 1850 when the company moved to Bonn, and 1888 when Friedrich Krantz took over the business from his uncle August Krantz. One of the crystals also has a small handwritten label glued to the back. Dimensions given for the largest crystal.
 Viewed:  78 Time(s)

891-Bariet-Teplice-Usti-Bohemen-Tsjechië.jpeg

977-Bariet-dolomiet-Frizington-Cumbria-UK.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte, Dolomite, Hematite
 Locality:
Frizington, West Cumberland Iron Field, former Cumberland, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
 Dimensions: 7,7 x 5,9 x 4,3 cm
 Description:
Classic light blue baryte crystals, partially red due to inclusions of hematite, on tan dolomite matrix. Accompanied by an old German label from the 'Bayerisches Petrefacten und Mineralien Comptoir' by Friedrich Kohl, dated to the 1890s.
 Viewed:  78 Time(s)

977-Bariet-dolomiet-Frizington-Cumbria-UK.jpeg

977-Bariet-dolomiet-Frizington-Cumbria-UK-2.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 7,7 x 5,9 x 4,3 cm
 Description:
Closer view.
 Viewed:  77 Time(s)

977-Bariet-dolomiet-Frizington-Cumbria-UK-2.jpeg

977-Bariet-dolomiet-Frizington-Cumbria-UK-label.jpeg
 Locality:
 Description:
The label from Friedrich Kohl's 'Bayerisches Petrefacten und Mineralien Comptoir' (“Bavarian Fossil and Mineral Company”).
More info: https://mineralogicalrecord.com/labels.asp?colid=432

977-Bariet-dolomiet-Frizington-Cumbria-UK-label.jpeg

1126-Bariet-fluoriet-Grube-Clara-Overwolfach-Schwarzwald.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 6,0 x 5,2 x 4,4 cm
 Description:
Cluster of pink tabular baryte surrounding a matrix with crystal clear, slightly blue cubic fluorite.

1126-Bariet-fluoriet-Grube-Clara-Overwolfach-Schwarzwald.jpeg

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: