We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
15 Oct-04:03:23 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
15 Oct-03:52:38 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / sachsen - saxony (Tobi)
14 Oct-23:00:11 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Oct-16:07:06 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / sachsen - saxony (Bob Harman)
14 Oct-14:12:27 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / sachsen - saxony (Jesse Fisher)
14 Oct-11:56:42 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / bayern - bavaria (Tobi)
14 Oct-08:45:23 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / bayern - bavaria (Jesse Fisher)
14 Oct-08:22:49 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Oct-03:13:18 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / bayern - bavaria (Tobi)
13 Oct-20:43:17 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Oct-15:44:52 Re: possible belowda-law twin of quartz (Bob Morgan)
13 Oct-13:32:57 Possible belowda-law twin of quartz (Eric8he)
13 Oct-13:26:23 Re: collection of michael shaw (Sante Celiberti)
13 Oct-12:15:15 Hyalite glass opal from czech republic (Stoner)
13 Oct-11:52:14 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / bayern - bavaria (Jesse Fisher)
13 Oct-09:42:48 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
13 Oct-02:26:42 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
12 Oct-21:02:37 The mizunaka collection - quartz with chlorite (Am Mizunaka)
12 Oct-18:49:36 Re: a mineralogical trip through the states of usa - illinois (Bob Harman)
12 Oct-16:38:55 Re: collection of sante celiberti - a mineralogical trip through italy (Sante Celiberti)
12 Oct-10:56:41 Re: help identification (Indigo08)
12 Oct-10:28:30 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Oct-10:26:07 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Oct-05:41:40 Re: collection of sante celiberti - a mineralogical trip through italy (Dany Mabillard)
12 Oct-04:19:39 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Oct 15, 2019 12:56

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
50+ lbs. Octahedral Pyrite - Is it from Huanzala Mine?

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Adam

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2019 09:36    Post subject: 50+ lbs. Octahedral Pyrite - Is it from Huanzala Mine?  

I recently bought a collection from someone and this monster was apart of it. It reminds of the material that comes out of Huanzala, but I’m not certain. Also, unfortunately, the person I bought this from decided to leave it outside for the last year. The overall specimen has good luster to it, but it has oxidized, leaving some iron stains on many of the crystals. Also, looking for advice on cleaning it. I thought about using a super iron out solution, but wanted to get the groups advice first. Any information is much appreciated. Please let me know if you need additional photos. Thanks

342DE0D6-3F5D-4C91-956B-4DD77DCDC879.jpeg
 Mineral: Pyrite
 Dimensions: 15 x 12.5 x 6 inches
 Description:
 Viewed:  1846 Time(s)

342DE0D6-3F5D-4C91-956B-4DD77DCDC879.jpeg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

kushmeja

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2019 09:57    Post subject: Re: 50+ lbs. Octahedral Pyrite - Is it from Huanzala Mine?  

I have a very similar piece. The one I have is much smaller than that, but has large individual crystals that are nearly identical to your specimen. They both even have similar surface features where the faces have a line of smaller crystals. Mine is labeled as coming from the Quiruvilca Mine. Here's some pics of the one I have.

227156.jpg
 Locality:
Quiruvilca Mine (La Libertad Mine), Quiruvilca District, Santiago de Chuco Province, La Libertad Department, Peru
 Dimensions: 7.1 x 6.2 x 5.0 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  1809 Time(s)

227156.jpg

227157.jpg
 Locality:
Quiruvilca Mine (La Libertad Mine), Quiruvilca District, Santiago de Chuco Province, La Libertad Department, Peru
 Dimensions: 7.1 x 6.2 x 5.0 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  1810 Time(s)

227157.jpg

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2019 10:25    Post subject: Re: 50+ lbs. Octahedral Pyrite - Is it from Huanzala Mine?  

Quite a piece! You should be able to get the crud and oxides off with microabrasion

Tobi

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2019 10:51    Post subject: Re: 50+ lbs. Octahedral Pyrite - Is it from Huanzala Mine?  

kushmeja wrote:
I have a very similar piece. The one I have is much smaller than that, but has large individual crystals that are nearly identical to your specimen. They both even have similar surface features where the faces have a line of smaller crystals. Mine is labeled as coming from the Quiruvilca Mine. Here's some pics of the one I have.
There are several mines in Peru that produce good pyrites like that, from Huanzala also came pieces with this kind of crystal form. I think such a giant specimen is most likely from Huanzala.
BTW: An outstanding piece, very impressive!

R Saunders

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2019 13:32    Post subject: Re: 50+ lbs. Octahedral Pyrite - Is it from Huanzala Mine?  

I only have limited experience with the Iron Out, and not on pyrite. I bought it at Menards. Most will say one cup per gallon dissolved in warm water. You may try a small test area, like blocked off with clay or something? and watch closely for unwanted reactions. To bad that won't fit in my 5 gallon ultrasonic cleaner. Another thing may be Sofscrub cleaner and a soft brush.

nova2000

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2019 14:40    Post subject: Re: 50+ lbs. Octahedral Pyrite - Is it from Huanzala Mine?  

Oxalic acid,not microabrasion

Chris Rayburn

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2019 06:47    Post subject: Re: 50+ lbs. Octahedral Pyrite - Is it from Huanzala Mine?  

I have had good luck cleaning pyrite with both hydrochloric and phosphoric acids, and I know HCl is used to clean Huanzala specimens. That said, it doesn't sound like you have any lesser specimens on which to experiment, so I would start with iron out and/or microabrasion, and move on to acid only if needed.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2019 10:56    Post subject: Re: 50+ lbs. Octahedral Pyrite - Is it from Huanzala Mine?  

very simple - simple green - works wonders on these pyrites

bob

Adam

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2019 23:18    Post subject: Re: 50+ lbs. Octahedral Pyrite - Is it from Huanzala Mine?  

Thanks to everyone for their input. I ended up soaking a smaller tarnished pyrite piece in the simple green cleaner. It really brought out the luster in the piece. I plan on soaking the big specimen tomorrow night. I’ll try and take some good before and after photos to share with the group.

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: