We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 03:36

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
I want to photograph my collection

Index -> Micros & Macros - Images of Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Malcolm Uffelman Jr

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2017 05:37    Post subject: I want to photograph my collection  

I want to photograph some of my collection too. But I am just now starting to learn about it. I just purchased an affordable light box, Nikon D3400 Macro enabled camera (again, the lower-end model) and plan to learn Focus Stacking by using Helicon Focus software. I noticed that Fran has some nice close-ups ( Franjungle Collection ). Do you mind sharing any tips? Nothing long and time consuming, just any short tips you might have. Thank you for sharing your pictures, enjoyed looking at them.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Firmo Espinar

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2017 12:40    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

Hi Malcolm.

Thank you for your message. Very glad you like some aspect or angle of my little collection.
I look forward to seeing your minerals and pictures.

I usually photograph with a Canon EOS 50-D mounting a Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens with Image Stabilizer.

For the macro details, I only use a reversing ring connected in a 28-80mm lens of my ancient Canon 50-E.

One way to try out true macro photography is to buy a lens. However, there is an alternative that is much easier on the pocket: reverse lens macro.

One way to approach reverse lens macro photography is to attach the lens directly to the camera using an adapter ring built specifically for this purpose.

You must acquire a macro reversing ring that lets you transform any lens into a micro lens, so you can shoot close ups of even the tiniest things.

When using a lens reversing ring may be recommend screwing it into the filter thread of the lens first, then attaching the ring to the camera.

I shoot several times under different conditions of light. Always without tripod, in different angles and then I choose what I like more.
I never use software for the macro. I have no time to modify the photographs, neither have macro rail to use software as the Helicon Focus.

I like the original picture. I just cutting some of them away to centre the aim of the photograph.

Best regards.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2017 06:55    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

Malcolm Uffelman Jr wrote:
I want to photograph my some of my collection too. But I am just now starting to learn about it. I just purchased an affordable light box, Nikon D3400 Macro enabled camera (again, the lower-end model) and plan to learn Focus Stacking by using Helicon Focus software. I notice you have some nice close-ups. Do you mind sharing any tips? Nothing long and time consuming, just any short tips you might have. Thank you for sharing your pictures, enjoyed looking at them.
Hi Malcolm,

just as an additional information: we have a special subsection about mineral photos and photography in our forum:
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewforum.php?f=19
Here you can look for similar questions to yours or you can share the question with the whole community :-)

Regards
Tobi

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2017 09:05    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

Tobi wrote:
I want to photograph my some of my collection too. But I am just now starting to learn about it. I just purchased an affordable light box, Nikon D3400 Macro enabled camera (again, the lower-end model) and plan to learn Focus Stacking by using Helicon Focus software. I notice you have some nice close-ups. Do you mind sharing any tips? Nothing long and time consuming, just any short tips you might have. Thank you for sharing your pictures, enjoyed looking at them.
Hi Malcolm,

just as an additional information: we have a special subsection about mineral photos and photography in our forum:
Here you can look for similar questions to yours or you can share the question with the whole community :-)

And even a tutorial: Tutorial to do better photos of minerals by Xiao-dong

Malcolm Uffelman Jr

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2017 20:54    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

Fantastic! Thank you so much, very kind and helpful.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2017 12:17    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

Tobi wrote:
...just as an additional information: we have a special subsection about mineral photos and photography in our forum:
Here you can look for similar questions to yours or you can share the question with the whole community :-)...

I have moved all posts related to Malcolm's request to this section of "Micros & Macros - Images of Minerals"

Malcolm Uffelman Jr

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2017 06:20    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

Thank you Jordi for your help with the login problem I was having. As usual, I think it was mostly "user error".

Malcolm Uffelman Jr

PostPosted: Dec 04, 2017 06:27    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

Fantastic - investigating the "macro reversing ring" now. I had not heard of that before you shared it. You're right, I want to stay economical. Grateful for your advice and time. Malcolm

Firmo Espinar

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2017 10:38    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

Hi Malcoml.

I am glad to have been useful.

The ring is not perfect, since the pictures lose field depth, but it is a simple and cheap way of beginning in the world of the macro photography.
Then, if you see that you like it, always you can improve and extend your material.

Regards.

Malcolm Uffelman Jr

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2017 11:16    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

For $20 I ordered a ring, so you gave me great place to start. I found some good Youtube vids explaining how to use the ring. As I said, I'd not yet heard of the "macro reversing ring", so I appreciate the path you suggested I follow. Hope to have a few beginning photos ready in a few weeks. I'll share them with you. Look forward to seeing more of yours. Malcolm

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2017 11:28    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

For $20 I ordered a ring, so you gave me great place to start. I found some good Youtube vids explaining how to use the ring. As I said, I'd not yet heard of the "macro reversing ring", so I appreciate the path you suggested I follow. Hope to have a few beginning photos ready in a few weeks. I'll share them with you. Look forward to seeing more of yours. Malcolm

I have both the Raynox DCR 250 and 150 and even though I use them quite often, I find that they have a very limited focal point. You actually need a focus rail and stacking software to do justice to them. Anyway, they are far better than nothing.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

basti

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2018 14:08    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

There are numerous way how to photograph minerals and they are basically split on the size of specimens.

There are two simple ways for the Nikon DX:
1) Buy Tamron 90/2,8 Macro (from $400 for used) - superb lens almost equal to pro Micro Nikkor 105/2,8 and easy to handle.
2) Buy vintage Nikkor 60/2,8 macro ($250-350 for used) - again superb lens, little less user-friendly, only MF available.

If you buy some bellows or diopters, you can easily go for FOV about 1 cm or smaller.

I did play a lot with reverse rings, bellows, various vintage lenses and various setups. Its cheap, it works, results are good. But it is time consuming, difficult to handle, sometimes very annoying, and it requires extensive knowledge and testing to get good results. Im not sure if sacrificing at least tenths of hours is worth saving $300 compared to buying used Tamron...

Fiebre Verde

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2018 14:53    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

Using the right equipment is indeed important.
But some might find that patience and perseverance are the best allies when it comes to mineral photography.
Gérard

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2018 18:33    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

I'm not sure what quality level you want to achieve, but for my purpose I use an Olympus Tough 5. It can take close-ups - up to 1cm. The biggest problem at that range is the camera blocks light. It comes with a setting that automatically stacks several frames giving a good depth of field with one click, For $300 it works in my rather limited budget.
I take many shots from a range of angles and light conditions to find something I like - electrons are free!

R Saunders

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2018 05:36    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

here is my latest and best easy set up. LG phone, 2 clamp lights by LIFE GEAR. OTT Lite

059.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  23954 Time(s)

059.JPG

060.JPG
 Mineral: more
 Description:
 Viewed:  23936 Time(s)

060.JPG

jamesmilner

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2019 12:18    Post subject: Re: I want to photograph my collection  

Good afternoon
Very informative topic. Thanks a lot.
I'd like also share with you photo cam which can do everything instead of you. If you have free time please check the link. I guess you will enjoy.
fixthephoto com

Good luck
James

Index -> Micros & Macros - Images of Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: