We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 08:11

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Presentation of new members - Reference Thread
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
  Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Le Snelling

PostPosted: Dec 08, 2018 22:54    Post subject: Presentation of new members - Le Snelling from Silverton, Oregon  

My name is Le Snelling and I live in Silverton OR. I was born ('51) and raised in Escondido California. My dad had a keen interest in minerals so we, as a family, joined the newly formed Palomar Gem and Mineral Club in 1954. It was a large family oriented club. Some of the club members were involved in mining the Pala District. Norman Dawson, a member along with his family, discovered beryl from the White Queen Mine. Thomas Schneider, a gem dealer in San Diego grew up in the club along with his parents who were Mineral Dealers. It was a great place to grow up to love minerals. When I returned from college I rejoined the club and became the program chair for several years. I later became the CFMS Juniors Chairman. Now all these years later, since I moved to Oregon in 92, I am a member of Friends of Mineralogy, Pacific Northwest Chapter. Now that I am retired, I am hoping to attend more symposia across the US and shows like St. Marie aux Mines. I will miss Tuscon 19 because my Father-in-law, who lives with us turns 100 on Feb 16!
One last thing. May dad loved minerals and had a small collection which he never displayed. As a result, I am passionate about displaying minerals and I encourage you to display yours so that you, your family, and your friends can enjoy them. It may also encourage some young person to pursue Mineralogy!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Don Lum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2018 01:26    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Le Snelling from Silverton  

Welcome to the FMF, Le.

Gary White

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2018 02:22    Post subject: Presentation of new members - Gary White from Texas  

Hello everyone.

My name is Gary and I am new to the forum as a registered member but I have been reading the forum for years. The level of mineralogical knowledge, enthusiasm, camaraderie, and mentoring that occurs on this site is inspiring to me.
I am a (somewhat unfocused) collector of minerals from worldwide localities. Although my wife and I share a love for mineral collecting (thank goodness), our taste in specimens can differ (which adds some spice to the process). I am fortunate to live in Texas where the taxes are low and the barbecue is great.
As a perpetual student of mineralogy, mining localities, existing collections and collecting history; I appreciate this forum and I appreciate all of you who have shared so many wonderful photos, discussions, and enlightening debates.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2018 03:11    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Le from Oregon and Gary from Texas  

A warm welcome from Germany, Le and Gary!
Thanks for the short information about your (collecting) biography, I hope you'll enjoy the community and show us some samples from your collections ... :-)

Regards
Tobi

Don Lum

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2018 17:34    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Gary White from Texas  

Welcome to both of you, Gary. Look forward to your posts.

Arash Ghafari

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2019 17:32    Post subject: Presentation of new members - Arash Ghafari from Arak, Iran  

Hi. I am not a new member but I have recently been active. I have studied Iran minerals for about 20 years and I have collected many fine specimens. In 2011 I founded a private mineral museum on my personal property in the city of Arak, Iran. It is named Jahanbin. In the museum, there is a very well equipped gemology laboratory and a studio to cut and polish gemstones and do my artworks. I received a UNESCO award of excellence in 2010 in handicrafts for gem cutting. In addition, there is a separate section to show and sell my artworks and the minerals in the museum.
Sometimes I take photos of the minerals and as far as I can I will share them with you.

Copy of Copy of IMG_6469-1.jpg
 Description:
part of Jahanbin Museum
 Viewed:  16467 Time(s)

Copy of Copy of IMG_6469-1.jpg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2019 02:12    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Arash Ghafari from Arak, Iran  

Well done Arash! Hopefully some day I can view your collection:-)

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Arash Ghafari

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2019 15:27    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Arash Ghafari from Arak, Iran  

Pierre Joubert wrote:
Well done Arash! Hopefully some day I can view your collection:-)

Thanks a lot Pierre. I am looking forward to seeing you here with pleasure whenever possible for you.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2019 02:07    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Arash Ghafari from Arak, Iran  

I have seen some of your specimens here and that photo of the museum display makes me want more. I would also like to see some more impressions of the museum displays ... :-)

Arash Ghafari

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2019 09:23    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Arash Ghafari from Arak, Iran  

Tobi wrote:
I have seen some of your specimens here and that photo of the museum display makes me want more. I would also like to see some more impressions of the museum displays ... :-)

Thanks a lot Tobi to be interested. Your comments always make me glad. I will upload more photos as soon as I have time.

Roy89

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2019 08:56    Post subject: Presentation of new members - Hello. Roy from a small town in Italy  

Hello everyone, I'm new in this forum and in rock collection too.
I started collecting a few rocks in the past days and I'm really enjoying it, even if I have a lot of questions. In particular I find difficult to recognize the rocks I'm collecting; I think they are "simple" and common, but with books and pictures I never feel secure.
I live in a small city in Italy and I think I will continue searching for new rocks here, trying to identify them and learning new things about minerals and rocks. I hope this forum will help me to understand more and to go on with my new hobby.

redw0lf

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2019 09:05    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Hello. Roy from a small town in Italy  

Welcome Roy, I'm new as well. So far it has been helpful here! Enjoy your stay and happy hunting.

Olivier Vandebroucke

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2019 09:25    Post subject: Presentation of new members - Olivier Vandebroucke from Belgium  

Hello to everyone on the forum!

I'm a long time amateur mineral collector from Belgium; it all started when my great-grandmother gave me some shiny/colored quartz specimens she gathered in the region when she was a kid, and when I grew up, I found that the best way to honor this collection would be to enlarge it!
So far, I've been doing it as a complete amateur, without talking to experts (not to mention that I've studied and now work in a radically different field, political science), but I've always brought some pieces of quartz, silex etc from holidays. One of my favourite pieces is a rock I brought back from a former silver mine in Germany, which shines like a disco ball under the light at night!
So, my main "mission" on this forum is to learn more about my collection than "this one is a shiny purple cristal thing, and this one is a jet black pointy rock".
Right now I am working abroad and will come back home (where my collection is) only this summer, but then I'll make sure to take pictures for you to enjoy!

Kevin Schofield

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2019 10:32    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Hello. Roy from a small town in Italy  

Roy89 wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm new in this forum and in rock collection too.
I started collecting a few rocks in the past days and I'm really enjoying it, even if I have a lot of questions. In particular I find difficult to recognize the rocks I'm collecting; I think they are "simple" and common, but with books and pictures I never feel secure.
I live in a small city in Italy and I think I will continue searching for new rocks here, trying to identify them and learning new things about minerals and rocks. I hope this forum will help me to understand more and to go on with my new hobby.

Hi Roy,

welcome to the FMF!

When you signed in, you will have received a reply with suggestions/instructions as to what a new enthusiast should do to help us to help you to identify rocks or minerals that you collect...various simple tests and so on that will provide information to you and to us.
It is best to do as much of that as you can before sending in a question, as it will greatly increase your chances of getting a helpful answer. It will also greatly reduce your chances of being scolded by some of the more short-tempered followers of this site :-)

Good luck with your collecting. Italy has lots of interesting rocks and minerals!

Kevin

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2019 11:19    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members  

Kevin Schofield wrote:

Hi Roy,

welcome to the FMF!

When you signed in, you will have received a reply with suggestions/instructions as to what a new enthusiast should do to help us to help you to identify rocks or minerals that you collect...various simple tests and so on that will provide information to you and to us.
It is best to do as much of that as you can before sending in a question, as it will greatly increase your chances of getting a helpful answer. It will also greatly reduce your chances of being scolded by some of the more short-tempered followers of this site :-)

Good luck with your collecting. Italy has lots of interesting rocks and minerals!

Kevin

Exemplary. Thanks Kevin!

bontix77

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2019 15:39    Post subject: Presentation of new members - Alexander in Boston (Hi, let introduce myself)  

Hi, my name is Alexander. I'm Italian moved for work in Boston one year ago. I'm Biologist big fan for everything about nature as minerals and fossils.
I'm a Japanese/chines calligraphy practitioner since long time, is my favorite hobby.

i have a humble collection composed by quite modest specimens but i'm proud of it.

I hope to learn more about minerals and collectors here in the States. I'm also interested to swap or acquire new specimens so if you have something to give feel free to contact me.

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2019 16:26    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Alexander in Boston (Hi, let introduce myself)  

Welcome to the forum! I have a modest collection myself. I have found the people here very knowledgable and willing to share their expertise. Looking forward to seeing some of your specimens. There is a collector's gallery section.

Best regards,
Richard

Don Lum

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2019 19:00    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Alexander in Boston (Hi, let introduce myself)  

bontix77 wrote:
Hi, my name is Alexander. I'm Italian moved for work in Boston one year ago. I'm Biologist big fan for everything about nature as minerals and fossils.
I'm a Japanese/chines calligraphy practitioner since long time, is my favorite hobby.

i have a humble collection composed by quite modest specimens but i'm proud of it.

I hope to learn more about minerals and collectors here in the states. I'm also interested to swap or acquire new specimens so if you have something to give feel free to contact me.

Welcome to The Forum, Alexander.

Don

SteveB

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2019 19:39    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Alexander in Boston (Hi, let introduce myself)  

Welcome, Read the rules etc is best advice I can give. Some people here with amazing knowledge and specimens.but not always time for people posting without following the rules etc. I’m Australian and interested in all kinds of rock, minerals, fossils and meteorites except anything “new age” or manufactured, Natures wonders are enough for me without humans messing about with them. :)

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2019 02:22    Post subject: Re: Presentation of new members - Reference Thread  

Welcome to the community, Alexander. What are your collecting focuses? I'm looking forward to see some impressions of your collection :-)

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 19 of 26
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next  

Jump to: