We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)
11 Apr-22:02:20 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
10 Apr-14:59:55 Re: the mizunaka collection - elbaite (Am Mizunaka)
10 Apr-09:05:31 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-08:08:58 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
10 Apr-07:54:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Carles Millan)
10 Apr-07:44:49 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
10 Apr-05:49:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
10 Apr-05:46:01 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Tobi)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 16, 2024 16:59

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Scott A. Miller

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2019 16:52    Post subject: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

In 1986, or somewhere there abouts, a number of small glassy spherules fell out of a Keokuk Geode I broke. At first I thought them to be evidence of glass impact ejecta from an event I theorized was responsible for the unconformity found immediately above the Warsaw formation separating Mississippian from Pennsylvanian formation's locally, in which the major units missing are Permian. Because of this, and a series of peculiar anticlinal structures locally, that come in multiple wave sets, with each successive wave, traveling through the set, from largest to smallest, decreases in amplitude and increases in frequency, towards the suspected center of impact. I believe this impact feature to be grossly misdated, and is the much sought after Permian Impact Crater, which is several thousand miles across!
A geologist earned their PhD, in describing these anticlinal features, in SE Iowa, NE MO., and WC ILL, as a series of disjointed, primarily linear features that have a slight change of angle from one set to the next. What I saw immediately upon viewing their work, were lines tangent to the arc if a GREAT circle! I immediately broke out a Rand McNally road Atlas with a map of N. America, translated the structures on to it and located the center of the circle. At the risk of a TREMENDOUS amount of ridicule, which I fully expect, coming from folks who have a tremendous amount of time and effort, plus their reputation's on the line, I here by stick my neck out on the chopping block, a quite tempting target.
The center of the circles is the Sudbury Ontario Canada Impact Crater!
I see evidence of the structures throughout vast stretches of the Stable Mid-continental Interior and via the Law of Superposition , I declare that it is incorrectly dated at 1.8by and is more like 250my. There you go, start chopping! You haven't even began to hear the rest of my theories and postulations, which I'm sure to give my contemporaries plenty of ammunition to hasten my demise!
The Oscillating Earth Theory, what happens when a planetary mass is heated and then through a very long period of re-radiational cooling, a very rapid expansion, followed by a very slow contraction. Is this not an oscillation? Could this not be the current primary driver of the current epoch of Plate Tectonics, yes, I just indicated that there have been previous engines and epochs! As long as I am sticking my neck out, I may as well stretch it out good! This would explain why, if every drop of glacial ice and snow is melted and returned to the sea, it would not cover these stable mid-continental interior's to a degree where these endless carbonate sedimentary profiles could accumulate and become the rocks we walk on today. I don't believe that the continents rose as much as the entire planet expanded and is in the very slow process of a contraction until the next catastrophic event occurred.
Yep, there you go, I mentioned Catastrophism, the apparent counter to Uniformitarianism! These should not be viewed as opposite theories, but inclusive of each other. These impacts
have happened, are continuing to happen and will happen into the future as far as I , The Village Idiot can see with my cloudy crystal ball! There you go, have fun.
If you thought that was total lunacy, you will love the next one!
Fossil hunting in extra-orbital space, and an explanation for a phenomenon that Arthur C. Clark found quite captivating and could never find an adequate explanation for. As a result of these almost unimaginable catastrophic events, a portion of ocean which is not vaporized nor atomized, is hurled into sub-orbital, orbital and extra-orbital space. For a period of time, the Earth probably had accreation rings much like Saturn, some of this flung into orbit around the sun matching the Earth's orbital velocity very nearly and kind of backing it's way, at very low velocities into the atmosphere, and gently melting on the way, depositing it's contents of marine life, falling out of the sky. Clark was extremely interested in this phenomenon and never felt he could adequately address it! I just did! So, perfectly preserved Permian critters, floating around out there, who would have thunk! The Village Idiot! Have fun!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Scott A. Miller

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2019 16:56    Post subject: Re: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

How in the name of the ONE, do I post a blinking photo on this blasted forum, I've failed 3 times and I getting a bit bent!!!

Kevin Schofield

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2019 17:40    Post subject: Re: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

Hi Scott,

you seem very keen to belittle yourself, which seems a tad harsh as you have apparently solved the problem of time travel, and come to the early 21st century enthused to share many of the geological theories of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Quite splendid.

The one thing I would take issue with is your assertion in the second sentence that the unconformity separating the Mississippian from the Pennsylvanian in Iowa is characterized by missing units of Permian age. This would, if correct, be another time travel issue, as in the rest of the world, the Permian is younger than the Pennsylvanian and therefore cannot be missing from beneath it.

Other than that, keep up the good work!

Bob Harman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2019 17:59    Post subject: Re: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

I hate to get on this thread once again, but I must.

The original poster ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=5842 ) asked a simple question regarding ID of his calcite specimen. The several early responses simply said that the example probably was not from the Elmwood Tennessee mines.

All of a sudden these past few responses have gotten completely off topic. Not good!!!

I suggest either locking the thread or moving these last responses to another thread.

And bye the way, spherules or not, that calcite would not occur in any Midwest USA geode, Keokuk area or anywhere else in the Midwest. For a starter, it is much too large for all Midwest geodes. BOB

Scott A. Miller

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2019 23:53    Post subject: Re: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

Sorry Bob, you are correct, this is not the proper thread for the previous pontificating I committed. However, 6" calcites do exist in Keokuk Geode's, very rarely, but they do! I'll search around a bit and send a photo, if I can figure out how

Scott A. Miller

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2019 00:15    Post subject: Re: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

The question I asked, which was not answered, was, does anybody else see the spherule in the middle of the photo? It appears to be a 2mm, perfect sphere, partially etched out of the base of the calcite.
I came, I saw, I what? My Latin is a bit rusty, so shoot me. I actually am curious, emi? As to time travel, each one of us who looks upon the Geologic record, are just that, time travelers to the distant past!
An explanation for the misapplied time periods is available, but as Bob pointed out, this is not the proper thread for that. If you are actually interested, perhaps you can direct the Village Idiot to the proper thread, perhaps you will find it interesting, perhaps not.

Scott A. Miller

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2019 01:14    Post subject: Re: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

Bob, I just got done measuring a couple of 4" calcites in KEOKUK geodes. I had a 6", but it was highly weathered and relegated to my rock garden, behind a home I sold a couple of years ago and I didn't snag it before the new owners took possession. Even though it was highly weathered, I wanted it for it's significant size. The woman will not let me have it back. However I think if I scrounge around a bit more, I can find something approaching this size. If not, Norm Woods sold one to John Haslem in Galesburg approaching this size. Oh yes, back to the thread. I can say nothing of its origin, but it is quite striking and I wish I had it in my collection, my kudos sir!

Scott A. Miller

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2019 01:20    Post subject: Re: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

Know body has addressed my question about the spherule in the lower left corner, of the upper right quadrant of, IMG_3124.JPG (in https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=5842 ) Does anybody else see this?

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2019 02:39    Post subject: Re: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

Scott A. Miller wrote:
Know body has addressed my question about the spherule in the lower left corner, of the upper right quadrant of, IMG_3124.JPG. Does anybody else see this?
I think what looks like a spherule is just one of the many black inclusions in that crystal, I guess it could be a sulfide mineral (pyrite, chalcopyrite, sphalerite etc.).

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2019 06:39    Post subject: Re: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

Thread moved

Scott A. Miller wrote:
How in the name of the ONE, do I post a blinking photo on this blasted forum, I've failed 3 times and I getting a bit bent!!!

Scott,

When you signed up for this "blasted forum" you received the message that I copied below. Probably if you had read it carefully you would know what kind of files are valid in FMF and how to publish them. Also, at the top of every page, very visible, you have this:
A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips

The message you got when you signed up was:

Welcome to FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board

Please keep this email for your records. Your account information is as follows:

----------------------------
Username: xxxxx
Password: xxxxx
----------------------------

Your account is currently inactive. You cannot use it until you visit the following link:

http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/fm_usuari.php?mode=activate&u=7093&act_key=6ce63d

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database and we cannot retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password you can request a new one which will be activated in the same way as this account.

Thank you for registering and welcome to FMF, your mineral forum.

We would like to offer you a short description of FMF so that you can get the most from it.

In the center of the screen you will see a magnifying glass that you can use to search for information that has been published on the forum.

Just below that you will see a link to 'A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips': http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1941 It includes some basic rules which help keep things in order and make the work of the moderators easier.

On the left of the page you will see an 'Index' button that you can use at any time to get back to the main page of the Forum. On it you can see the various categories of subjects relating to minerals, which you can enter and then tell people about your experience or ask any questions you may have about the locality of a specimen, scientific aspects, how to photograph a mineral, etc. Each Section has a brief description that tells you about the types of things it contains which will help you select the right section for a new Topic. That way we can keep them in order and more members are likely to reply. To see more about how to start a new Topic please read this message http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1940

The aim of the forum is non-commercial, so the sending of personal messages ('pm') is blocked for the first 10 days for new members to avoid spamers using 'pm' to send personal mailings to each Forum member. That said, new members can receive a 'pm' and reply to it.

We ask that new members make an effort to present themselves to the other members with a short message. This is not required, but we find that it does help improve the way we all get along with each other on the forum. You can do it on this: http://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewforum.php?f=23

We look forward to your participation and help in making FMF a great place.

Yours
FMF Forum
A meeting place for sharing mineralogical experiences

Scott A. Miller

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2019 15:25    Post subject: Re: Small glassy spherules from a Keokuk Geode  

I started a reply, lost it again. I don't know and at this point, don't care, wether it is lost in electronic oblivion or posted by accident, as I have previously done. This forum is not well formatted for stupid-phone's, that's my problem, not entirely yours. Please accept my apologies, none for mr. schofield! He is the one stuck in the 19th Century and woefully uneducated! As to Mr. Harmon, I'm going to leave the site and crawl back under my rock. It happens to be a Midwest geode and contains a 5,5/8" slightly pink Scalenohedron, "dogtooth", making him technically correct, just barely. I was just starting to photograph some of my several thousand geodes collected over 55 years. Not all are museum specimens, but a very great many are. I rather like the view from within my abode, it is a small microcosm of perfect beauty and harmony few humans can experience, and I do believe for the time being I've decided not to share it with any of you . Hasta la vista folks. C'est la vie!
S.A.M.

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: