We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
23 Apr-19:01:49 Re: collection of christopher wentzell (Chris Wentzell)
23 Apr-16:04:55 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Peter)
23 Apr-12:52:55 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Jose Luis Jara Jara)
23 Apr-11:36:05 Re: galena, kommern (Andreas Gerstenberg)
23 Apr-07:20:45 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
22 Apr-15:19:55 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Jose Luis Jara Jara)
22 Apr-15:06:16 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
22 Apr-12:46:46 Re: galena, kommern (Gerhard Brandstetter)
22 Apr-12:15:26 Re: presentation of new members - alexander in boston (hi, let introduce myself) (Riccardo Modanesi)
22 Apr-11:10:02 Re: galena, kommern (Kevin Conroy)
22 Apr-10:45:37 Re: galena, kommern (Gagat Minerals)
22 Apr-10:28:42 Re: galena, kommern (Gerhard Brandstetter)
22 Apr-09:19:14 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
22 Apr-09:03:24 Re: galena, kommern (Bob Harman)
22 Apr-08:04:01 Re: galena, kommern (Jordi Fabre)
22 Apr-02:33:31 Re: galena, kommern (Mathias)
22 Apr-02:27:10 Re: galena, kommern (Mathias)
22 Apr-02:22:18 Re: presentation of new members - reference thread (Tobi)
22 Apr-02:20:11 Re: two small mines in western emerald belt of colombia (Tobi)
22 Apr-02:17:54 Re: don lum collection (Tobi)
22 Apr-02:04:33 Re: galena, kommern (Tobi)
22 Apr-01:45:34 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Tobi)
21 Apr-15:56:15 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
21 Apr-09:28:25 Contact with istvan & mary j. Toth - alaskan garnet mines (Gagat Minerals)
21 Apr-09:18:17 Re: death of heimo hellwig (Jamison Brizendine)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 23, 2019 23:20

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Catahoula

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2019 21:18    Post subject: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

This is from a southern California site. Important features are limestone, quartz monzonite and schist with chalcopyrite and sphalerite in abundance. There is also a small sulphur hot spring 100 yards off. To me, it looks like petrified willow branches but I have not seen the chlorophyl preserved before. Curious about the surrounding material as well.

I brought some smaller pieces in to cab and identify. They polish beautifully, but I still can not identify. The raw samples on tailgate are fist-sized. I am removing a 100 lb. boulder of same now.

Thank you for responding!

JD

IMG_1168.jpg
 Mineral: unknown
 Locality:
California, USA
 Dimensions: 15-1500mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  932 Time(s)

IMG_1168.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pierre Joubert

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 06:07    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

Catahoula wrote:
This is a southern California site. Important features are limestone, quartz monzonite and schist with chalcopyrite and sphalerite in abundance. There is also a small sulphur hot spring 100 yards off. To me, it looks like petrified willow branches but I have not seen the chlorophyl preserved before. Curious about the surrounding material as well.

I brought some smaller pieces in to cab and identify. They polish beautifully, but I still can not identify. The raw samples on tailgate are fist-sized. I am removing a 100lb boulder of same now.

Thank you for responding!

JD

I cannot help you, just want to say that it is very interesting material!

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

Tobi

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 07:15    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

I think it could help to tell us where exactly the "southern California site" is that these rocks come from ... :-)

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 07:34    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

Possibly areas of opalized wood as a part of a piece of petrified wood. Just Posibly, Not For Sure.

But for sure this has absolutely nothing to do with chlorophyll. The green coloring in plants is never part of the finalized petrified wood color. Petrified wood is mostly in branches, limbs and trunks. Do willow branches (maybe with a bit of chlorophyll) ever even occur, I don't know. Fossilized leaves do occur but are different than what you show and the fossil leaf impressions never retain the green color from chlorophyll. BOB

Kevin Conroy

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 08:34    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

I would agree with opal. As opposed to precious opal (which has the colorful "fire" flashes), this would be common opal.

Laura Overstreet

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 08:59    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

I am on a short work break and will add pictures with testing later today. But I wanted to ask if anyone knew what the yellow and tan material in this rock is? I have a large piece of only yellow/tan that I thought was slag glass. But it doesn't break like glass and is the same tone and color depth as the yellow/tan in this photo. It is also heavier than I thought slag should be. Now I wish I hadn't broken it too.

Thanks,Laura.

Scot Krueger

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 10:24    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

This would appear to be a breccia (like a conglomerate, but with angular clasts). The lighter colored bits are likely some form of fine grained silica (chert, common opal) or flow-banded rhyolite. Judging from the color of the matrix material, this could be volcaniclastic breccia. I see nothing definitive of fossils in the photo. The green is most likely recent algae that formed in the cracks and pore spaces, but it could also be traces of chlorite and/or epidote discoloring the rock. Chlorophyll does not survive burial of organic material.

Catahoula

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 11:11    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

Brilliant! Thank you all for your responses. I looked up brecchiated opals and it has many similarities. I have harvested many brown and white opals from a site an hour to the east in the Mojave desert, but had not seen anything like this in the mountains of the Sierra (Southern tip East of Bakersfield).

Here is an image of a few slices I cut out. I like the opal theory as it has the same soft feel of opal and it looks like a silica replacement for limbs. Assuming Mr. Krugers hypothesis, what should I do with boulders of this? Cut them up? Keep them whole as specimens? The larger pieces have large portions of the exterior in this green color and may be more like the trunk or roots than branches. This may mean larger opal masses(?). I will post when I get them power-washed off!

IMG_1178.jpg
 Locality:
California, USA
 Description:
 Viewed:  683 Time(s)

IMG_1178.jpg

Laura Overstreet

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 11:36    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

Hi Catahoula,

Your pieces are very neat and very pretty. But I think you should do tests on them to be sure they are what you think they are. They are more than likely natural but it is terrible to be excited about a piece only to find that it isn't what you thought it was. Or you thought it was not too special and it might be very special! Laura

Catahoula

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 11:46    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

Great advice Laura. Cautiously optimistic. I do not have visions of treasure, just having fun with a new find. I love getting caught up in the moment, dont you? :-) I pity the person who finds beauty and does not get excited and fascinated. I think that is the theme of this site. People who are in the hunt for the pleasure of the hunt.

On the recommendation of a friend at Arkenstone, I am sending off samples to Attards in San Diego for assessment. More to satisfy my curiosity that to valuate....

Laura Overstreet

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2019 11:54    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

It is great you can send it to someone. I like the hunt just to find what I like too! I'm excited to get pics/testing on my piece later today.

I hope you keep sharing your pictures as you work with this. We all learn better together! Laura

Kevin Conroy

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2019 10:02    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

Laura, next weekend in St Louis the Rock Hobby Club show is at the Machinist's Hall on St Charles Rock Road. If you don't get your specimens identified before then I suggest taking them there and show them to Stan Perry and Roy Hurlbert (both are dealers).

I will only be there early Friday and late Sunday to put in and then extract a display case of Southern Illinois specimens, but if you see me there please show me your specimens too!

Laura Overstreet

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2019 11:13    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

Hi Kevin, thanks so much! I am making a plan to come out Sunday afternoon. We attended several years ago and had a great time.

I haven't shared my pictures or images yet because, I just had this piece in my hand five days ago and put it somewhere 'special' after I broke a piece off. Now I'm not sure where that special place is. I am going to hunt it down this afternoon.

Laura Overstreet

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2019 17:58    Post subject: Re: Hello! New to forum. I have an interesting find..  

Hi Catahoula,

I found my 'rock' last night. I used a black light on it and it glows. I thought you might try it too. I don't know what it means when it fluoresces under black light but it is very neat. Thank you so much for sharing your find!

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: