We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 05:55

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tobi
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 12:39    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

Richard Arseneau wrote:
Tobi wrote:
A really nice specimen, I love those dark blue fluorites from Huanggang, the contrast with the white quartz is striking! I also have a minor specimen from that locality ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=47926#47926 ) but this one here is larger and better than mine, really nice :-)
Thanks Tobi, I remember seeing that specimen when I was going through your gallery. It is interesting to think about people around the world with similar specimens from the same locality. I also really enjoy the contrast between the bright white and dark blue. Also, I find some of the crystals in the second photo I posted rather interesting. Many show small pits. Richard
Yes, the small pits in the crystal surfaces are part of the typical appearance of these fluorites. As a passionate fluorite collector, I must confess that It's not the unusual shape that I like on these fluorites, I prefer sharp defined forms like cubes, octahedrons or cuboctahedrons. It's the dark blue colour and the striking contrast that I like, and your specimens shows perfectly why :-)
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2019 16:18    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

Chalcopyrite intertwined with blades of Siderite.

18Chalcopyrite.jpg
 Mineral: Chalcopyrite, Siderite
 Locality:
Kaiwu Mine, Hezhang, Bijie Prefecture, Guizhou Province, China
 Dimensions: 5 X 3.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20456 Time(s)

18Chalcopyrite.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2019 16:41    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

One of Jensa's picks from a shop in Nova Scotia. The photo doesn't do it justice. It is very fibrous, with a nice silky luster.

21Malachite.jpg
 Mineral: Malachite
 Locality:
Kamiaba, Katanga (Shaba), Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire)
 Dimensions: 4.5 X 6 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20406 Time(s)

21Malachite.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2019 19:56    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

A new Fluorite that just arrived. We have a similar specimen on the way from the same locality that includes the matrix. What would the habit of these crystals be called? They are cubic but form rounded mounds of crystals. Cubic globular, just globular, something else?

35Fluorite.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Chongyi, Ganzhou Prefecture, Jiangxi Province, China
 Dimensions: 3.5 X 4.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20330 Time(s)

35Fluorite.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2019 16:24    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

Our first Beryl. As small as it is, the colour is so vibrant, it stands out from across the room.

36Beryl.jpg
 Mineral: Beryl (variety emerald)
 Locality:
Kamar Safed outcrop (Kamar Saphed), Khenj emerald area,, Khenj District, Panjshir Province, Afghanistan
 Dimensions: 5.5 X 3.5 cm
 Description:
Crystal size: 4 X 16 mm
 Viewed:  20261 Time(s)

36Beryl.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2019 00:53    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

A beautiful choice of international minerals, Richard and Jensa!

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2019 15:48    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

Thank you Tobi.

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2019 19:13    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

My wife picked this specimen. It wouldn't have caught my eye at the time, but it has really grown on me. The way the crystals refract the light makes them appear hollow.

29Aragonite.jpg
 Mineral: Aragonite
 Locality:
Tazouta, Sefrou, Sefrou Province, Fès-Boulemane, Morocco
 Dimensions: 5 X 5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20054 Time(s)

29Aragonite.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 06, 2019 16:55    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

Razor thin blades of Hematite on Quartz crystals that range from clear to slightly smokey in colour. The Hematite is so thin I am afraid to touch it.

37QuartzHematiteA.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz, Hematite
 Locality:
Guangdong Province, China
 Dimensions: 7 X 5.2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  20101 Time(s)

37QuartzHematiteA.jpg

37QuartzHematiteB.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz, Hematite
 Locality:
Guangdong Province, China
 Dimensions: 7 X 5.2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  19911 Time(s)

37QuartzHematiteB.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2019 09:16    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

One of the specimens my wife and I came home with after a trip to Parrsboro, Nova Scotia. It is a six to seven hour round trip, but well worth it.

This Fluorite is almost peach coloured with darker purple edges. Small Quartz crystals are spread across the surface.

I am still using my smartphone as a camera and have gone so far as to use my loupe in an attempt to get a close up of the Quartz. I think it is time to stop buying minerals and invest in a new camera. :\

38FluoriteA.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite, Quartz
 Locality:
Highway #17 roadcut, Rossport, Thunder Bay District, Ontario, Canada
 Dimensions: 7.5 X 5.5 cm
 Description:
Collected by Rod Tyson, 2001
 Viewed:  19748 Time(s)

38FluoriteA.jpg

38FluoriteB.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz, Fluorite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: FOV 1 cm
 Description:
Collected by Rod Tyson, 2001
 Viewed:  19750 Time(s)

38FluoriteB.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2019 20:32    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

Pyrite with a thin covering of Quartz in some areas. The luster is metallic and very shiny, but overall it has a darker, slightly more tarnished look than the specimens I have from Spain.

39Pyrite.jpg
 Mineral: Pyrite, Quartz
 Locality:
Nanisivik Mine, Nanisivik, Baffin Island, Nunavut Territory, Canada
 Dimensions: 6.5 X 4.5 cm
 Description:
Collected by Rod Tyson, 1986 - 1988
 Viewed:  19599 Time(s)

39Pyrite.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2019 15:42    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau - Crocoite  

My wife, Jensa, recently bought this specimen. I am slowly trying to narrow our focus as collectors and she continually finds new minerals that appeal to her. What can I say, it works. I love the colour of this specimen. It isn't quite red, but it is a very vibrant reddish orange. I have learned the colour is where the name of the mineral originates from. From the Greek κρόκος (krokos), meaning Saffron.

40Crocoite.jpg
 Mineral: Crocoite
 Locality:
Dundas, Zeehan District, West Coast Council, Tasmania, Australia
 Dimensions: 4.5 X 4.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  19488 Time(s)

40Crocoite.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2019 01:39    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau - Crocoite  

Richard Arseneau wrote:
My wife, Jensa, recently bought this specimen. I am slowly trying to narrow our focus as collectors and she continually finds new minerals that appeal to her. What can I say, it works. I love the colour of this specimen. It isn't quite red, but it is a very vibrant reddish orange. I have learned the colour is where the name of the mineral originates from. From the Greek κρόκος (krokos), meaning Saffron.
Hi Richard, it's really cool to see the enthusiasm of both your wife and yourself, people like you are a pleasure in the mineral collecting community :-)

It's not easy to find a good crocoite specimen, the mineral is rather rare for an aesthetic collector mineral, and there are only 3 larger localities where it is (or was) found in larger quantities and well-crystallized: Callenberg in Saxony/Germany, Berezovsk in Russia (both historical) - and several mines in Tasmania, especially the Adelaide Mine which produced the most spectacular specimens of that mineral. There were some incredible finds during the last years, here's a video of an outstanding specimen that is mined: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0noXIhIGg

Keep up your enthusiasm!
Tobi :-)

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2019 16:50    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau - Crocoite  

Tobi wrote:
Richard Arseneau wrote:
Hi Richard, it's really cool to see the enthusiasm of both your wife and yourself, people like you are a pleasure in the mineral collecting community :-)

It's not easy to find a good crocoite specimen, the mineral is rather rare for an aesthetic collector mineral, and there are only 3 larger localities where it is (or was) found in larger quantities and well-crystallized: Callenberg in Saxony/Germany, Berezovsk in Russia (both historical) - and several mines in Tasmania, especially the Adelaide Mine which produced the most spectacular specimens of that mineral. There were some incredible finds during the last years, here's a video of an outstanding specimen that is mined: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_0noXIhIGg

Keep up your enthusiasm!
Tobi :-)

Thank you Tobi, I have no doubt the enthusiasm will continue! I was going to post an interesting Fluorite that arrived today, but I realized I have absolutely no idea where it is from. The price and form of the specimen overrode my aversion to buying something from a site that emphasized the "healing" properties of the mineral. I am waiting to hear back from them in the hope I can get some info.

I can see our collection starting to split into three different subcategories. Fluorite, Barite, and Beryl from anywhere in the world, Canadian minerals, and specimens that catch my wife's eye. She ordered a beautiful aquamarine Beryl that we saw on our last trip. It was supposed to be a surprise, but she couldn't keep herself from telling me. :)

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2019 12:16    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

Dark purple octahedral Fluorite on a matrix of Quartz. One broken crystal reveals a green center. The Quartz shows iron staining on one side. The small quartz crystals are all well terminated, but many of the faces are partially covered with a thin coating. The coating makes the Quartz appear strange without magnification. It is difficult to photograph with my setup, but I have included a photo of the area that has the iron staining which makes seeing the coating easier. I thought the coating may have been Calcite or another mineral, but there is no reaction to vinegar, so now I am thinking it is just microcrystalline Quartz.

42Fluorite.jpg
 Locality:
Yiwu, Jinhua Prefecture, Zhejiang Province, China
 Dimensions: 7 X 4.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  19309 Time(s)

42Fluorite.jpg

42FluoriteB.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz, Fluorite
 Locality:
Yiwu, Jinhua Prefecture, Zhejiang Province, China
 Dimensions: FOV 1 cm
 Description:
Poor photo taken with my phone and a loupe.
 Viewed:  19311 Time(s)

42FluoriteB.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2019 18:15    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau - Beryl  

My wife bought this as a surprise, but she couldn't keep the secret before it arrived :)
I was unable to find the locality on Mindat, but I have entered what is on the specimen card. This was another tough one to photograph.

44BerylA.jpg
 Mineral: Beryl (variety aquamarine), Schorl
 Locality:
Dara-I-Pech District (Pech District), Kunar Province (Konar), Afghanistan
 Dimensions: 2 X 5 cm
 Description:
I was unable to find the locality on Mindat, but I have entered what is on the specimen card:Qilla, Paetch Valley, Kunar Province, AfghanistanMain crystal size: 1.5 X 5 cm
 Viewed:  19186 Time(s)

44BerylA.jpg

44BerylB.jpg
 Mineral: Beryl (variety aquamarine), Schorl
 Locality:
Dara-I-Pech District (Pech District), Kunar Province (Konar), Afghanistan
 Dimensions: 2 X 5 cm
 Description:
I was unable to find the locality on Mindat, but I have entered what is on the specimen card:Qilla, Paetch Valley, Kunar Province, AfghanistanMain crystal size: 1.5 X 5 cm
 Viewed:  19187 Time(s)

44BerylB.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2019 20:22    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

A recently acquired "Grape Amethyst" The ends of the tiny crystals sparkle in circular patterns relative to the source of light.

45qagA.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz (variety botryoidal amethyst)
 Locality:
Mamuju area, Sulawesi Barat Province, Indonesia
 Dimensions: 6.5 x 6 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  18654 Time(s)

45qagA.jpg

45qagB.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz (variety botryoidal amethyst)
 Locality:
Mamuju area, Sulawesi Barat Province, Indonesia
 Dimensions: 6.5 x 6 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  18641 Time(s)

45qagB.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2019 20:52    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

Another Canadian Fluorite from an Ontario road cut. When I first saw this piece I thought it was black. A closer inspection showed it to be a dark "wine" colour. The matrix is very thin, but I really enjoy the multitude of small cubes.

46fluorite.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 4 x 4.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  18472 Time(s)

46fluorite.jpg

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Jul 06, 2019 21:53    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

Light green glass clear Fluorite from China. Too beautiful not to add to our Fluorite collection.

47fluorite.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite
 Locality:
Chashan Mine, Xianghualing Sn-polymetallic ore field, Linwu, Chenzhou Prefecture, Hunan Province, China
 Dimensions: 12 x 7 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  18441 Time(s)

47fluorite.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2019 01:59    Post subject: Re: Collection of Richard & Jensa Arseneau  

The photo may not be the best. but the fluorite looks water-clear, wow!

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 3
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: