We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
19 Jul-23:41:20 Re: questions regarding collections' photos (Tar4ntula)
19 Jul-11:59:43 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
19 Jul-05:52:50 Re: mineral collages 5.0 (Tobi)
19 Jul-04:33:30 Re: collection of enrique llorens (Enrique Llorens)
19 Jul-04:29:06 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
18 Jul-16:39:54 Re: mineral collages 5.0 (Tobi)
18 Jul-15:28:28 Re: favourite barytes? (Dany Mabillard)
18 Jul-15:00:36 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
18 Jul-14:07:04 Re: favourite barytes? (Jose Luis Jara Jara)
18 Jul-13:52:51 Re: favourite barytes? (Niels Brouwer)
18 Jul-13:20:39 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
18 Jul-10:30:28 Re: what's up with minfind? (Bob Kerr)
18 Jul-09:12:36 Re: what's up with minfind? (R Saunders)
18 Jul-08:14:56 Re: collection of tobi (Jose Luis Jara Jara)
18 Jul-07:09:41 Re: mineral collages 5.0 (Chris Rayburn)
18 Jul-04:23:28 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
18 Jul-01:44:27 The mizunaka collection - zoisite (Am Mizunaka)
17 Jul-19:54:58 Re: what's up with minfind? (Kushmeja)
17 Jul-19:31:02 Re: what's up with minfind? (Monicairocks)
17 Jul-19:21:53 Re: what's up with minfind? (Kevin Conroy)
17 Jul-19:13:24 Re: what's up with minfind? (Turbo)
17 Jul-19:10:14 What's up with minfind? (Bob Kerr)
17 Jul-19:07:38 What's up with minfind? (Bob Kerr)
17 Jul-15:12:01 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
17 Jul-14:53:31 Re: mineral collages 5.0 (Bob Harman)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Jul 20, 2019 04:33

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Locality question regarding Moroccan calcite

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tar4ntula

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2019 22:25    Post subject: Locality question regarding Moroccan calcite  

Hi,

Along with a locality question, I thought I would introduce myself since this is my first post on the forum. My name is Tiffanie and I'm a 21-year-old PhD student studying chemical engineering at Cornell, originally from WA. I've been collecting for approximately a year and a half, but only recently began taking the hobby more seriously. Once I summon up the courage to, I hope to start a thread here for my collection.

Anyway, I purchased this calcite specimen (specifically, calcite included with chalcopyrite) and was told only that it's from Morocco. I've practically driven myself crazy studying Moroccan calcite specimens to see if I can pinpoint a more specific locale, but no luck. What throws me off is the color - I've only come across cobaltoan calcite with this particular habit, and golden calcites seem to primarily be in geodes.

I even reached out to Spirifer Minerals due to their familiarity with Moroccan minerals, and was told that IF my specimen is Moroccan, it could be from Bou Azzer, El Hammam, or Ighoud. However, they also suggested that I look into other countries like Mexico.

If you have any information to contribute that might help me in my quest, I would greatly appreciate it. Apologies if photo quality is not up to par - I only have an iPhone SE.

(P.S. I'm also curious as to what that thin white coating partially covering some crystals is - my guess is talc.)

IMG_7354.JPG
 Mineral: Calcite, Chalcopyrite
 Dimensions: 10 cm x 4.5 xm
 Description:
 Viewed:  689 Time(s)

IMG_7354.JPG

IMG_7355.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  686 Time(s)

IMG_7355.JPG

IMG_7356.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  686 Time(s)

IMG_7356.JPG

IMG_7359.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  689 Time(s)

IMG_7359.JPG

IMG_7360.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  692 Time(s)

IMG_7360.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

bob kerr

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2019 06:46    Post subject: Re: Locality question regarding Moroccan calcite  

Tiffanie - welcome to the FMF site - a great source if you're looking for info like you are requesting.

there's a couple of issues here:
- getting exact localities is frequently problematic - not just within morocco but many other places also. in morocco for example, miners are frequently just digging on their own - legally or legally - and do not want to give anyone their location of a find.
- even if you get a detailed location, how accurate do you think it is? this is also problematic as localities are sometimes given to possibly enhance their value.
- your specimen looks much like calcite with hematite inclusions
- the white covering looks like a secondary calcite growth - talc is actually pretty rare
- the calcite xl form/and or color frequently can be used to assist in locality identification but the form of your specimen is pretty common - especially in mexico which is probably why Tomak suggested mexico.

sorry not to be of much help but others may chime in with better details.

again, welcome to the FMF site.

bob kerr

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2019 10:44    Post subject: Re: Locality question regarding Moroccan calcite  

Interesting specimen. In glancing thru many calcites with inclusions, I find no close matches and those matches that are +/- are from widely varying localities. Not much help there.

The inclusions tho, are probably neither hematite nor chalcopyrite. Hematite inclusions in calcite are almost always much smaller and in virtually all examples there is a pinkish to reddish hue imparted to the calcites and whole specimen. This example is yellowish with no pinkish coloration to my eye.
The inclusions are much more likely to be other iron minerals such as micro pyrites or micro marcasites even smythites, which are larger, more discrete, and very common in calcite. They also might impart a yellowish iron stain to the example which these calcites seem to have.

The coating might be any of several clay minerals or aragonite, all very common, but not talc. BOB

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2019 11:42    Post subject: Re: Locality question regarding Moroccan calcite  

I agree with what Bob Kerr and Bob Harman said. The inclusions look like Hematite (in fact the small black crystals outside seems to be Hematite after Pyrite) and the coat could be anything else, a second generation of Calcite, Aragonite, clay, but most probably no Talc...

About the locality is not easy to say. Why Morocco? who told that? why? It could also be from hundred other localities...

Tar4ntula

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2019 18:28    Post subject: Re: Locality question regarding Moroccan calcite  

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your input. The specimen was originally sold to me as calcite with marcasite inclusions - that's my mistake - and the individual from Spirifer Minerals agreed that the inclusions are most likely marcasite. Thanks as well for correcting my talc assumption; I had no idea of its rarity!

I bought this specimen from a relatively well-known Instagram seller, and although she does not primarily deal in fine minerals, I have purchased many specimens from her and I trust her. She was the one who told me that Morocco was the only locality information she was able to glean from the original seller, which I would normally take as truth, but my hours spent on Mindat and fine mineral dealers' websites inspecting Moroccan calcites has led me to believe that Morocco may be wrong.

I look forward to becoming more of an active member on this forum! The small percentage of female mineral collectors is truly unfortunate, and something I'm rather passionate about changing.

Richard Arseneau

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2019 17:33    Post subject: Re: Locality question regarding Moroccan calcite  

Tiffanie, I am a relatively new collector myself and can offer no insight into the composition or origin of your specimen. However, my wife is just as passionate about mineral collecting as I am and we would both like to welcome you to the forum. We have found the people in this community to be an invaluable resource, of both information and inspiration. Welcome, and don't be shy about starting a thread to show your collection. In my opinion, the quality of the photograph or the particular specimen is secondary to the information that accompanies it.

Richard and Jensa

Don Lum

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2019 20:34    Post subject: Re: Locality question regarding Moroccan calcite  

Tiffanie,

Welcome to the FMF.

Don

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: