We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

FMF English Forum is moderated by John S. White and Peter Megaw

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
05 Dec-05:37:49 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
04 Dec-20:28:22 Re: asbestos name change (Woody Thompson)
04 Dec-18:09:03 Re: collection of sante celiberti - a mineralogical trip through italy (Sante Celiberti)
04 Dec-16:10:55 Re: new generation for picture - ploum (Ploum)
04 Dec-14:27:18 Re: "jaguar" agates from wy (Bob Harman)
04 Dec-13:31:57 Re: "jaguar" agates from wy (Jrh4)
04 Dec-11:39:46 Re: a mineralogical trip through the regions of the uk - england / county durham (Jesse Fisher)
04 Dec-11:00:27 Re: munich show (mineralientage) 2019 (John S. White)
04 Dec-09:22:45 Re: munich show (mineralientage) 2019 (Tony L. Potucek)
04 Dec-04:56:00 Re: asbestos town name change (James Catmur)
04 Dec-03:20:27 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / sachsen - saxony (Tobi)
04 Dec-03:19:33 Re: "jaguar" agates from wy (Jordi Fabre)
03 Dec-19:52:58 Re:"jaguar" agates from wy (Jrh4)
03 Dec-19:39:11 Re: a mineralogical trip through germany / sachsen - saxony (Jesse Fisher)
03 Dec-17:34:34 Re: asbestos name change (Pete Richards)
03 Dec-17:02:55 Re: asbestos name change (Jordi Fabre)
03 Dec-16:46:30 Re: some thoughts about the recents munich and expominer shows (Tobi)
03 Dec-16:41:14 Re: collection of sante celiberti - a mineralogical trip through italy (Sante Celiberti)
03 Dec-15:10:12 Re: asbestos name change (Rweaver)
03 Dec-14:34:15 Re: asbestos name change (Jordi Fabre)
03 Dec-14:32:50 Re: asbestos name change (Peter Lemkin)
03 Dec-14:31:15 Re: asbestos name change (Joseph Doliveira)
03 Dec-14:25:59 Re: collection of fiebre verde (Philippe Durand)
03 Dec-14:21:53 Re: asbestos name change (Lluis)
03 Dec-14:19:34 Asbestos name change (James Catmur)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Dec 05, 2019 15:40

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
Crystals of quartz coated with iron oxide and more

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

vikelas

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2019 04:27    Post subject: Crystals of quartz coated with iron oxide and more  

Hey all

Some new quartz findings !

I put them in Hydrochloric acid for one day to clean them up.
Must be quartz as calcite i m not sure will survive on the Hydrochloric acid !
Any recommendations will be welcome !

IMG_20191113_110002.jpg
 Description:
Crete
 Viewed:  479 Time(s)

IMG_20191113_110002.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

vikelas

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2019 04:30    Post subject: Re: Crystals of quartz coated with iron oxide and more  

some more !

IMG_20191113_110703.jpg
 Description:
Crete
 Viewed:  478 Time(s)

IMG_20191113_110703.jpg

Bob Harman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2019 06:46    Post subject: Re: Crystals of quartz coated with iron oxide and more  

You ask for recommendations regarding you new finds.

First let me say that the best and most interesting couple of pieces should be completely labeled as to the mineral(s), specific locality, and dates of collection.
These examples would be useful as part of a reference collection for the locality on Crete.

Thought should be given to donating the rest of the finds to a school or given to youngsters to promote interest in rock and mineral collecting on Crete and your part of Greece. BOB

vikelas

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2019 06:59    Post subject: Re: Crystals of quartz coated with iron oxide and more  

Hello Bob !

Yes, I will label them ! Thank you !
A question is the test with Hydrochloric acid. Is it a way to differentiate the quartz from the calcite ?
There is a mountain full of quartz !
How do you clean your quartz ?

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2019 09:06    Post subject: Re: Crystals of quartz coated with iron oxide and more  

HI, I have a large collection, most of which is Indiana minerals, both self-collected and otherwise acquired. It helps that I live close to the localities. Altho I am now slowing down, I actively field collected for 30+years and was rewarded by finding and acquiring a number of hi quality display examples. Some of these can be seen on this website by going to "A mineralogical trip thru the states of the USA" and then going to the state of Indiana.

I tell you these facts as a background for your questions. In my collection, I have 2 basic types. One type of specimen is hi quality photogenic cabinet size examples, a few of which I display at shows. The other type examples, somewhat like yours, are self-collected reference specimens for the state of Indiana. The reference examples are often of much lower quality, but are important as they show minerals, combinations, and other unusual features not often seen here in this state. Some minerals only occur as low and very low quality specimens, but are rarely found so you collect what can be found. These reference examples will eventually all go to the Indiana State Museum In Indianapolis. They are not so interested in quality, but are more interested in unusual and rare Indiana stuff.

As to your questions. Hydrochloric acid will remove all carbonates including calcite so your examples that were in it no longer have any carbonates as part of them. While I occasionally use this acid (actually muriatic acid - 28% HCl), I use household vinegar (5% acetic acid) much more often. It is much gentler on the specimens; it can be used to "spot clean" on the individual specimen and is much easier to handle. I often remove calcite with vinegar as it allows quality barite crystals to be better exposed in many Indiana specimens.
As to rust removal, I use oxalic acid or iron out rust remover. My philosophy is to only spend time cleaning those examples that can truly be improved.....not just change their color..... with less iron staining. Lower end specimens with or without iron staining are still lower end specimens so they are just given away or sold without my cleaning them. Experience and practice makes sense so use your lowest end examples to practice your cleaning skills. In general, I clean my display specimens sparingly: less is better

That is my philosophy. Hope it is of some help to you. Good Luck!. BOB

vikelas

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2019 09:41    Post subject: Re: Crystals of quartz coated with iron oxide and more  

Thanks for your reply Bob !

First I will follow your strategy, how to categorize the minerals in my collection.
Secondly I agree for the Hydrochloric acid ... is so toxic even if you wear a mask
Finally, I never thought to sell minerals, have you ever sold any of yours and in what price ?
For example if you had mine, how much you will asking for ?

Thanks again

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2019 10:33    Post subject: Re: Crystals of quartz coated with iron oxide and more  

If you need a mask when you‘re using hydrochloric acid, then your acid is much much too concentrated! The fumes will be bad for your lungs and for any metal objects in your house.
Diluting the acid down to 10% or even 5% will actually do a better job of removing calcite than using concentrated acid will, and with no unpleasant fumes.

vikelas

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2019 11:20    Post subject: Re: Crystals of quartz coated with iron oxide and more  

Hello Alfredo

After a couple of tries , i can understand what you meaN :)

Thank You !

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2019 11:38    Post subject: Re: Crystals of quartz coated with iron oxide and more  

What Alfredo says is important. When I mentioned that I clean sparingly and "less is better", that includes diluting the HCl or even the muriatic acid. Over cleaning or using concentrated acid makes many specimens look obviously tampered with which is exactly what you don't want. The best cleaned or altered specimens should still look completely natural.

On this forum we don't talk money or value so I will just say a few generalities. I only sell at our local show. A few local dealers who know me, know they can get nice
self-collected Indiana specimens at better than wholesale prices. Mine are self-collected without any overhead so my sale items sellout quickly.
Truly top quality Indiana specimens are not common in the market place so I now rarely see one that interests me.
A number of collectors and dealers have always been interested in my top quality examples, but, other than donating 5 top quality examples to the Indiana State Museum, I have never sold any.
P.S. I do have donors remorse!! These 5 examples can be seen in the 2015 MR supplement on Midwest mineral collections, Indiana State Museum pages and on the Indiana pages of this website.

Dealers and collectors nearer to where you have found the specimens might have a better appreciation of what you have and the interest in minerals from that locality. They would be the ones to ask if there is any value. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, you should consider donating your examples to a school or giving them to youngsters to tweak their interest in rocks and minerals. BOB

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: