We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 10:21

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Night glowing stone (natural?)

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Andrew Hong

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2019 02:57    Post subject: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

Hello,

I would like to know what this mineral is.
As far as I know, it is a natural night luminous stone, and it is found in Brazil.
I really, really want to buy this (natural one). Please help me to identify this specimen and I would like to know where I can get this.

Thank you very much.

20191219_134424.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10365 Time(s)

20191219_134424.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Bob Harman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2019 03:34    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

Your first photo shows what may originally have been a natural rock, but has now been artificially shaped into a sphere. It is now a man created knick-knack.....a sphere.

There are no rocks or minerals that naturally glow in the dark. There are lots of fluorescent minerals, but that is far different from naturally glowing in the dark.

Recently there have been experiments with bioluminescent bacteria added to rocks helping to give off light under certain night time conditions such as lighting a walkway path.
Most of these experiments show the light created by the organisms to have a very limited time frame of only several days to several weeks.

Bottom line is that you are showing a non-natural knick-knack in both sphere shape and glowing in the dark.
No one on this website will be much interested in it to any further extent. Bob

lluis

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2019 04:19    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

Apart from agreeing with what Bob said, I remember that many years ago I read about some pieces that glow in dark and were found in Brazil... they were irradiated items and radioactive and very dangerous for health...

I would suggest checking the level of radiation, in case you decide to buy this.,....
Irradiated cat's eye cabochons of a gemstone (I think I remember that they were said to be scapolite), with a level of radiation dangerous for health, and were sold on the the market also many years ago.. Publicly adverted of danger, no idea if anyone bought them...

With best wishes,

Lluís

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2019 04:48    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

There are some minerals that are phosphorescent after exposure to longwave UV light, so you could expose one to the sun outdoors, then bring it into a dark room and see a glow. Or rather have someone else bring it to you in a dark room, because the human eye‘s dark adaptation probably takes longer than the phosphorescence would last.

But if someone showed me a stone that glowed all night, I‘d be suspicious that it had been soaked in phosphorescent dye, or had a phosphorescent fungus growing on it.

Mathias

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2019 08:03    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

There's one mineral that glows green in the night.
It's Kryptonite.
It makes superman sick.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2019 08:59    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

Andrew, I think there are several misreadings of your email, perhaps stemming from a language/translation mislatch? Correct me if I'm wrong but...

1. You found these pictures on-line somewhere and like what you see enough to want one....but not only are not sure where to get one, but whether it is natural.

2. You are taking the word of whoever posted the piece about it having "natural luminescence"

3. You are not that experienced with rocks and minerals.

Assuming that is correct...and in the hope that you would like to become more expert on rocks and minerals...

A. We are a collector/hobbyist group sharing information primarily about minerals and crystal specimens, we are not a commercial referral service, so we can't really help with where to find one...

B. As Bob notes, this is a man-made sphere carved from a rock that has minerals in it that are fluorescent under ultraviolet light. It is pretty clear that someone was shining an ultraviolet light on this when they took the picture...it is not luminescing by itself. There are very few materials that are naturally luminescent and those that are only show luminescence or phosphorescence for a very short time.

C. Put another way, the fluorescence that you see is natural in the sense that nothing has been done to make this fluoresce (like irradiation or soaking in a biologically active solution)...they simply shone a UV light on the rock and the minerals responded with green fluorescence.

D. This is actually very common...this does not look like the kind of thing a fluorescent mineral collector would pay to have carved into a sphere. My guess is that someone found a rock carving shop where some of the rocks used incidentally contain fluorescent minerals and they noticed the fluorescent effect.

Finally, there is a large group of folks out there who collect fluorescent minerals because of their beauty when subjected to shortwave or longwave ultraviolet light. First of all, this requires investment in ultraviolet lights (there are many on the market at a range of prices) and then you have to wander around in the dark and shine the light on rocks to see if they respond...there are some pretty stunning colors and patterns that show up this way. You may have accidentally discovered that you're interested in this and there are online hobby groups devoted to fluorescent minerals who can probably be much more helpful finding out more than FMF.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2019 13:54    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

For Alfredo, I am not aware of such things as "phosphorescent fungi". There are about 80 known species of bioluminescent fungi, where complex enzymatic interactions of luciferin and luciferase work to emit a continuous greenish light.
This has nothing directly to do with fluorescence, phosphorescence or with ultraviolet light. Bob

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2019 17:03    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

Cambridge Dictionary definition: phosphorescent: giving off or shining with light and giving off little or no heat.

Birdbrain59

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2019 11:10    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

I’m certainly not even close to being an expert. I’m only a collector. I wanted to throw my two cents in on this conversation. I have quite a bit of mica during a full moon the mica I have pops really pops. The “sparkle” the display only full moon phase is amazing. They of course don’t glow under a full moon or any other moon—-v

Sante Celiberti

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2019 18:23    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

Hello.

I don't doubt your words, but how do you explain it? And what kind of mica?
In the next full moon I want to inspect all my specimens, looking for this new and unheard of (at least for me) acoustic-kinetic property in mineralogy.

My best regards and wishes for coming holidays.
Sante

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2019 20:46    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

Sante Celiberti wrote:
Hello.

I don't doubt your words, but how do you explain it? And what kind of mica?
In the next full moon I want to inspect all my specimens, looking for this new and unheard of (at least for me) acoustic-kinetic property in mineralogy.

My best regards and wishes for coming holidays.
Sante

Perhaps Birdbrain59 would like to clarify his/her post, but my reading is that the mention of mica "popping" is not to be taken in the literal sense of making a noise, but rather that it really sparkles and stands out dramatically in the light of the full moon.

I have not examined my micas or any other specimens in the light of the full moon, but somehow things in general seem sharper, more dramatic, if less colorful, at 2:00 in the morning by moonlight than they do in the middle of a normal day.

So it's worth checking (and fun). Let us know what you see (or hear!).

Sante Celiberti

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2019 08:10    Post subject: Re: Night glowing stone (natural?)  

Hello, Mr. Richards.

Thank-you for your kind explanations that I fully agree with.
I was just amicably joking wih Birdbrain59 to give the thread a bit of brio... :-)
The only noices I've heard in 50 years of collecting are those of specimens fallen from their bases on the showcase shelves and the crack of a cold sulphur crystal in my warm hand...
Anyway - and now seriously-, being a romantic collector, I'll chek some of my specimens in the light of next full moon. Who knows?

Receive my warmest regards.
Sante
(As soon as possible I'll send you a pm)

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: