We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 25, 2024 07:13

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Microsoft Access Mineral Database

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

TheBrickPrinter

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2009 14:34    Post subject: Microsoft Access Mineral Database  

I just downloaded the freeware database--nice program--and probably very, very, adequate for almost everyone. But if you are not a Microsoft Hater and have MS Office 2007 Professional, I have one that is perhaps more indepth. Originally designed for Mineral Curator at a museum, and it has lots of fields that are perhaps irrlelevent to most,but could be of use to a few serious collectors.

It integrates with Office and allows you to hook Word Documents and correspondance to a specimen. Can create and link Excel spreadsheets to a specimen as well as any other type of document such as a pdf, etc. Comes with a mini contact mangager so can keep all your mineral mail stored in one place.

You can also create library documents and library pictures of things of interest and then link them to a specific specimen.

You can also have up to 27 pictures of each specimen and also if you include the lat/long of the the mine or location, you can click and go to various mapping programs such as Mapquest, National Geographic, Virtual Earth, etc.

Many more features but probably more than really necessary unless you were really trying to save all things a professional curator would want to know.

I have been developing this for quite a few years now, but have come to the conclusion that the market is just not there to be able to actually make any money off of it so have decided to open it up. Even comes with complete vba source code. Of course a specimen in return would not be rejected--lol.

It is large and a bit complicated and needs some explanation so if anyone is really serious about it, I could invite them to my computer for a demo. Might even try the gotomymeeting so could invite multiples.

It is in use by a mineral museum at present and seems to provide them some value.

It also comes with the MasMils database built in with a very efficient way of filtering that database. That is one of reasons such a large file--as that database contains over a quarter of a million records.

Drop me a line if really interested and have the required software--i.e. MS Office 2007 Professional with Access.

One nice feature it does is that when you save a picture, it automatically creates a filename based on the mineral name and locality so that they are very easy to find using Explorer. All the pictures are stored into one subfolder of the main application program with names that can be easily identified.

The search is what anyone would undertake if he were not sunk in the everydayness of his own life. To be aware of the possibility of the search is to be onto something. Not to be onto something is to be in despair.
Walker Percy
Reply to topic Reply with quote

mmauthner

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2009 16:42    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Access Mineral Database  

TheBrickPrinter,

First, very cool about sharing!

I started working on databases, specifically mineral museum databases, using a Superbase platform in 1990 when my mentor, Joe Nagel, did. Since that time he and I, (and only I since his passing in 2001) have developed some fairly complex and sophisticated mineral collection information management applications. Joe did in fact embark on a successful consulting career developing applications for museums, but he also recognized then, before 9-11, before the dot-com crash, before the latest economic meltdown, etc, that museums and mineral collectors are a very limited and shrinking market. Still, a number of institutions and private collectors still use what is largely Joe's system...

Well, what prompted me to respond was your comments regarding the market. Over the last decade or so, I have built databases, simple to complex versions of my own database, for friends for free because one could not charge what it really costs to build one in terms of the time. It is just somehow validating to hear that someone else has come up with that conclusion. We have a group that has a real need for such systems, but somehow that need is not manifested or priorized in terms of money to spend on solutions.

I have only had one client who valued the system enough to pay for it well enough for me to have considered the option of consulting along those lines; all others have expected/received pro bono or at best covered minimal expenses, but not time/labor. Not griping here, just reflecting reality...

Another comment I wanted to make was that about "needs some explanation". Joe's (and my) system, especially the ones we personally use(d) are huge and complex, performing many a task, and, if one became quite proficient, could save so much time and eliminate many other time-consuming tasks. Joe used to rant about clients who did not want to "invest" the time and effort to learn about the software to be able to use it and even manipulate it for customization. Most of the time I agreed, but a few years ago, I ended up with a neighbor who wrote a book called "Designing the Obvious". While it discussed web-based applications, the real message applies to the development of ANY computer application. It completely changed my outlook.

I do not want to become a mechanic to be able to drive my vehicle (required by anyone owning an MG or other sports car with Lucas electrics, but I digress), I just want to get in and drive so I can get where I need/want to be. Well, the same is true for the products that computer programmers create (yes, the same programmers who roll their eyes when a client says "What's a UI?" when that programmer has just delightfully proclaimed how full of features the one he/she created is). I realized from my neighbor and from closer listening to some of my "users" that what seemed like a cakewalk, a no-brainer, a "what-do-you-mean-it-is-too-complicated?" application to me, was in fact bewildering to others. Computers are here to make life easier, supposedly, and the job of programmers is to make things that follow that logic...make life easier so that people can get on with their lives/jobs. They are already taxed and do not need to add more work to their loads, EVEN THOUGH that short term learning curve may assist them in the future (How much smoother would the world work if everyone picked up the appropriate Chilton's and could immediately fix any problem with their vehicles by themselves?).

Anyway, I would love to see your system sometime; especially the file-naming function you mentioned for adding images. Not a nut I made a real effort to crack but thought about.
I have little idea why I suddenly waxed philosophical about this topic. It is certainly the longest posting I have ever written on any forum, etc. Hope the community will forgive my indulgence.

Thank you also for your generous offer to make your application available to the community. I hope for your efforts that it finds useful homes.

Cheers,
Mark

GneissWare

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2009 17:33    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Access Mineral Database  

In 1994, I launched my first mineral catalog software in the marketplace, primarily because after writing it for my own use, I realized that there were few computer cataloging options available for collectors. Although I recognize that the marketplace is very narrow, I continue to sell my software at a loss because I think it is important to keep the message in front of collectors of the importance of cataloging their collections.

I have taken as a mission to try to get people to catalog their collections. It is such a shame when I run across collections where the localities are missing. Yes, sometimes you can figure out where the mineral comes from, but not always. I have several collector friends who I have offered to give copies of my software because they have unusual self-collected locality pieces, only to have them refuse -- the excuse is typically that they can write their own catalog software. Unfortunately, few find the time to write the software, and the unique specimens are still unlabeled. When something happens to them, as it does to us all, their special and unique specimens will be considered "kid rocks" and be lost to the hobby forever.

There are several cataloging packages specifically for minerals available, including a free one from Carles, and it looks like another from TheBrickPrinter. Tony Kampf, in Rocks and Minerals, also reviewed several cataloging programs, including mine. So, if you aren't cataloging you collection, you have lots of options. Don't be one of the collectors whose collection is not well curated and cataloged!

mmauthner

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2009 17:40    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Access Mineral Database  

Too right, GneissWare!

TheBrickPrinter

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Access Mineral Database  

When I first started writing this thing a while back, the web was really limited and it was my intention to capture data that might be gone in the future. I wanted to be for exmple download an article say on a mine, and then be able to go back and search that article and attach that article to a specimen in my collection.

I learned a good deal about programming and also got afew nice rocks along the line.

The number of hours put into it could never be compensated for by selling it I have found. Although every now and again I get a hankering to do something new to it. Heck, a couple of hundred hours of error coding--boring stuff. I am sure there are some bugs even now-none that I know of. But I really like Access and the way you can integrate the rest of office applications into an application.

Some of the code used, I did get to use in another app I wrote that pretty much tracks all process varialbes at a water plant or a wastewater plant (my real job). So instead of minerals, I have incorporatd into that program pictures of many of the microorganisms that treat the waste.
And I got to use some of my code from other apps in this one--especially the use of hyperlinks to files instead of saving them withing the application. That was really pretty cutting edge stuff when I originally started the project.

The thing I like about it is that all the info is contained in a few tables and external links all under one main folder. All pictures and related documents are saved in their own subfolders and named so you canfind them easily and even get some info about them simply from the file name. If you simply back up that folder and all the subfolders, everything is reconstructable--even if MS decides to drop Access.

Support was always the problem but now with gotomypc I can now just fix the problems remotely. So think I had better get working and sell some wastewater database apps so can buy some rocks. lol Or sell some of my LEGO modified thumbnail boxes.

The search is what anyone would undertake if he were not sunk in the everydayness of his own life. To be aware of the possibility of the search is to be onto something. Not to be onto something is to be in despair.
Walker Percy

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2009 10:26    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Access Mineral Database  

Hi,

Did you try your MS Access application on the MS Access rutime. If it works it might allow people who don't have a registered version of Access Pro to use ?

Christophe

TheBrickPrinter

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2009 11:48    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Access Mineral Database  

Actually I did, and if I saw a market for it, that was the path I was going to take. But then, expecially for the museum that is actually using it, I figured that if needed a tweak of the code I could simply do it. Back when first started it, the runtime version did not support filter by form whiich is a really powerful tool built right into Access. I decided that I did not want to reinvent something that was already better than what I could do on my own.

Filter by form has not gotten to be much more user friendly.

I am not sure whether that function is supported in the newer runtime versions or not. And if I remember correctly there were some other issues. There was something about error handling also if I remember correctly.

With 2007, the report generator with all its wizards is pretty darn good for an end user to create his own reports, labels, etc with just a little bit of effort.

And creating your own queries is now pretty darn easy so not sure the runtime version supports that.

And then you have to make sure you include all the files, active x controls, etc.

I kind of view this app as one that is very robust but can be modified by an end user familiar with Access. Maybe he does not like the font I used, maybe he wants to add something to it. And if an Access person, might be interested in the code itself.

I understand the limitations the requirement of having Office to run it puts on it and probably limits it to just a fraction of the audience. But there are now other adequate ones out there-at the time I started it there were not. I was also worried that Access might not be robust enough to handle a really larger file--but like I said, it handles 1/4 million records in the MAS Mils db almost instantly.

The other thing I like about mine is that the pictures can be saved at full resolution but previewed int the app.

I confess I wrote it to do what I wanted it to do and also the museum--but mainly for me. I like the library feature a lot and use it quite often to store info I might want to use in the future. Say doing research on a mineral or mine. Have all the maps, articles, pictures, etc. and even websites like mindat and webmineral there.

Sorry to be so longwinded.

Walker Percy

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2009 10:55    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Access Mineral Database  

Hi TheBrickPrinter,

I undertsand your concerns about Access' runtime. Deployment of Microsoft's applications are often trouble making because of the related files. This is why I almost never use Microsoft's products myself. However I still think it would be interesting to know if the last runtime's version works with your app or not (if you are interested I can make a try as I don't have Office at home).

So, a potential user would know immediately which configuration is required. If you have time, you can always try to have a look at the OpenOffice counterpart which has the advantage of running on Windows, Mac OS & Linux, opening your software to a much larger market.

Christophe

TheBrickPrinter

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2009 13:03    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Access Mineral Database  

I know it is heresy to some, but I am a MS fan. I actually like their products with all their quirks. I have two Apple Computers--one running OSX and bought the other one to run Windows on. I love their hardware, and their OS is very good--but back when I first got into progamming --mainly for fun and to help me create the myriad state environmental reports required for a water and wastewater plant--Visual Basic 3.0 came out. For $99. With it I found I could actually get my computer to do some neat things that I wanted it to do without having to learn C or Pascal or Fortran and all those other languages that "real progammers" used. I could use Excel as a reporting mechanism, Word to create documents and hook them all together with Access and VB. And exposing Office's object model brought graphically oriented programming to the masses and to me. And those programs that I wrote way back them that crept along at carriage speed, now are quick and respnsive thanks to the advances in hardware.

One good thing is that eventhough might have been written 15 years ago, they will still run. MS has been excellent in insuring backwards compatibility. But no use for this discussion to degenerate into a MS vs Linux vs Apple vs ...
This is a mineral message board.

But as I said I would be glad to preview it and send to anyone interested. And if someone wants to tackle the job of making a runtime version, would be fine with me. Or if they wanted to look at what I have done and incorportate some of the functionalities into their program, that is fine by me. A rock is of course always appreciated--lol And any good programmer could make changes to it. as the code is completely exposed. And it would be relaitively easy for a VBA programmer to extend its funcitonalities and cusotomize its interface. My LEGO printing and engraving business takes up most of my free time now. I am actually excited about new labeling system based on LEGO for mineral collectors.

I forgot I had actually done some screenshots of it--they have been a bit updated with more hints buttons and a few other features.

For some reason I can not include a url to this post as gets rejected but it you go to www hockyjocky .com (no spaces) and click the minereal database button, it will take you to some screenshots.

Walker Percy

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: