We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 07:23

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A blue obelisk that I'm not sure what it's made from

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

stoned

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2020 15:52    Post subject: A blue obelisk that I'm not sure what it's made from  

I'm a newbie to the gem/crystal hobby. I ordered this from China on eBay.

The seller says its Tanzanite? The actual ad read:
"114g Rare Tanzanite Fire Elestial Monatomic andara Crystal Arcturian point" HUH?

I only spent around $12 (including shipping) I think for it, so I'm not out much. But I would like to know what it's made of. I've looked around the Internet, and see similar images of what I have, but some are calling them "Siberian quartz" others call it "Blue Aura Quartz" and yet other calls it "smelt quartz". It's about 4" tall by 1" wide.

Any ideas what I have here? I have a few other crystals I was hoping someone could tell me if there genuine or a fake, but wanted to start with this one. Thanks.

blue (3).JPG
 Mineral: Quartz?
 Description:
China
10cm by 2.5cm
 Viewed:  6740 Time(s)

blue (3).JPG

blue (4).JPG
 Mineral: Quartz?
 Description:
China
10cm by 2.5cm
 Viewed:  6721 Time(s)

blue (4).JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

alfredo
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2020 16:17    Post subject: Re: A blue obilisk that I'm not sure what it's made from  

Artificial glass. Quartz sand may well have been melted as one of the ingredients in the glass mix, but that‘s as close as it comes to "quartz" of any kind. Probably worth $12 as a pretty decoration, but it won‘t make too many mineral collectors excited.

General advice to gem and mineral "newbies": Before shelling out real money for rubbish(?) on e-bay, join your nearest mineral club and take advantage of the knowledge of more experienced members. And visit mineral shows, where you can handle the offerings before purchase, talk face-to-face with the sellers and other enthusiasts, comparison shop. Most people will be happy to share their knowledge, and it‘s a whole lot better experience that shopping anonymously on line.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2020 17:50    Post subject: Re: A blue obilisk that I'm not sure what it's made from  

I fully and completely agree with Alfredo. Colored glass.......

I guess my wish for this new year, on this website, would be that mineral enthusiast, newbies and novices, do some due diligence with self-education before buying anything.

For the purchase of mineral specimens, ebay can be a potentially dangerous site for novices to start out on without knowing exactly (!) what they are spending their money on.

Happy New Year To All, Bob

SteveB

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2020 21:08    Post subject: Re: A blue obilisk that I'm not sure what it's made from  

Genuine or fake? More a genuine fake. There is a lot of such specimens coming out of Chinese labs but never out of the ground. They are not naturally formed by nature. The silly names are a huge hint these are made for the new age market where size and colour really sells trash. If its cheap and too perfect its 99.99% certainly man made. Some are lab grown quartz crystals which are then surface coated to get metallic, rainbow and other colour effects. Its annoying for many as they are rarely labelled honestly. Anything coming from China unfortunately these days comes with the doubt of authenticity.

So buy with that knowledge. As a trinket you got a nice curio I guess; it would look nice on a window sill. But it does not contain mystic energies or will not be an investment piece. Do everyone a favour and put a label on the underside that it's artificial, so whoever ends up with it has an honest label to start with. Would probably look great in the garden too.

Steve

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2020 05:04    Post subject: Re: A blue obelisk that I'm not sure what it's made from  

Hi to everybody!
Either coloured artificial glass or synthetic quartz! Synthetic quartzes are also coloured in every colour you wish, including intensive blue which is never found in nature!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2020 05:19    Post subject: Re: A blue obelisk that I'm not sure what it's made from  

"114g Rare Tanzanite Fire Elestial Monatomic andara Crystal Arcturian point"
Let‘s study this description:

114g = a factual statement of the weight, probably true.
Rare = a matter of opinion
Tanzanite = gemstone with the composition and crystal structure of zoisite, which this is not.
Fire = huh? Oh well, fire was perhaps involved in making it.
Elestial = meaningless word used for marketing purposes
Monatomic = meaningless word used for marketing purposes
andara = https://www.mindat.org/min-39945.html - marketing name for glass
Crystal = perhaps, but more likely glass, which is not crystalline
Arcturian = the alien race from Star Trek? or from the star Arcturus? credibility stretched thin
point = indeed true; it has a point.

stoned

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2020 16:39    Post subject: Re: A blue obelisk that I'm not sure what it's made from  

Oh well, guess it'll make a good paper weight or yes, on the window sill. Thanks for the ID on it everyone.

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: