We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 05:48

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Volan

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2020 05:18    Post subject: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

Hello everyone!
My name is Andrei and this is my first topic started on this forum, and will definitely won't be the last one :)
I recently went for the first time to Whitby, trying to find some fossils..
I got more rocks than fossils and possible a chunk of fossil wood.

However, I am baffled about one specific BLUE colored rock and I need a second opinion as my knowledge is far from even an amateur level.

So.. here are the details:
It looks like a soft rock but I tried to cut a small piece with a Dremel tool and it looks quite strong. I tried to polish the surface with a wire wheel (gold color) and the rock is polishing very easy looking like a gold/chrome color.
I tried to split the rock with a chisel and a hammer as it had a crack all the way around. First attempts ended in this rock leaving a groove in the concrete pavement.
And now comes the fun part : after I managed to split the rock a VERY strong smell of sulfur came out (I actually had to leave the rock outside).
I mention that the rock had no smell when hit by the hammer or when I tried to cut and polish. The smell diminished over night but it still stinks.

After all my research I ended up thinking it's some sort of industrial slag. And I hope it is not radioactive :)) or toxic. What do you think ?

Edit : i have some household chemicals based on acid's. One contains Formic Acid (Kilrock - gel) , one Hydrochloric Acid (Harpic x10) , and one Phosphoric Acid (Kilrock descaler) which one should I use for the acid test ?

20200108_095934~2.jpg
 Description:
Top (cut and polished corner)
 Viewed:  14962 Time(s)

20200108_095934~2.jpg

20200108_100009~2.jpg
 Description:
Side
 Viewed:  14947 Time(s)

20200108_100009~2.jpg

20200108_095944~2.jpg
 Description:
Bottom - polish try
 Viewed:  14970 Time(s)

20200108_095944~2.jpg

20200108_100121~2.jpg
 Description:
Polished corner and tool
 Viewed:  14957 Time(s)

20200108_100121~2.jpg

20200108_100031~3.jpg
 Description:
Split along the crack
 Viewed:  14951 Time(s)

20200108_100031~3.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Scot Krueger

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2020 07:21    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

This looks like a small cobble of slightly altered vesicular basalt. It started life as a black lava flow with lots of bubbles. Over time, groundwater allowed the bubbles to become lined with some secondary minerals. The rock was buried enough to be slightly metamorphosed, and the blue color is likely from microscopic clays and/or chlorite. As for the smell, that is impossible to assess from a photo. But I can think of 3 likely possibilities. The first, the white mineral in the holes has sulfur in it, causing the smell when exposed. Second, some of the crud which is on the surface, and obviously invaded deep into the cracks, is some fetid organic matter which you exposed by cracking it open. And third, this might have been exposed to hydrocarbons at some point (petrol from an auto, lighter fluid from a beach fire, natural or manmade oil spill) which seeped into the cracks and was finally exposed to the air when you broke it. Once you have let it air out long enough that it does not smell, it should no longer pose a health hazard.

Tracy

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2020 09:22    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

Scot Krueger wrote:
Once you have let it air out long enough that it does not smell, it should no longer pose a health hazard.

...what type of health hazard currently exists?

stoned

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2020 11:43    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

I wouldn't handle it without a HazMat suit...

Tracy

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2020 12:36    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

stoned wrote:
I wouldn't handle it without a HazMat suit...

I can't tell whether you are serious or joking. I sincerely hope the latter. Again, where's the health hazard? It's a cobble that stinks like sulfur.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2020 14:01    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

He was joking about the hazmat suit, Tracy.

Andrei, though the rocks looks just like a vesicular basalt, it might also be some type of industrial slag, containing sulfur, or iron sulfides that have oxidized to produce the sulfur smell. Such slag often contains gas bubbles, and can contain sulfur compounds.

Pete

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2020 14:02    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

I fully agree with Tracy. Sulphur (or more accurately sulphur oxides or hydrogen sulphide rather than elemental sulphur itself) has a very strong smell, so it takes only a tiny amount in a rock to notice it. No danger to you, your pets, your kids... But don‘t store it next to your silverware because sulfur makes silver tarnish.

Tracy

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2020 15:21    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

Thank you Pete and thank you Alfredo, and apologies to Stoned for sounding snitty. Text is often emotionless and I missed the joke.

I think for the new year/decade it's time for me to climb down off my soapbox and leave the focus of this forum on minerals (where it belongs), not health and safety. I would rather people were overly cautious than the opposite, even if I don't always understand the (in my opinion) misperception that there is any meaningful health hazard potential associated with handling specimens (radioactivity and dust-generating activities like extracting and trimming or cutting excepted). Don't eat, snort, or rub on skin - to each their own after that.

A happy 2020 to everyone!
Tracy

Volan

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2020 16:17    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

Thank you for your answers ! Great help ! I will keep it aside for the moment and try to "explore" it more.
I also have couple of rocks from the same place and some resemble like coprolite fossil, plus other unknown (to me) rocks.
I will post a photo when i can make some clear ones.

Cheers!

colin robinson

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2020 17:16    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

Industrial slag. Millions of tons of it ended up in the north sea after being dumped from the iron and steel works on Teesside. Longshore drifting has carried it south and it can be found all along the Yorkshire coast and probably much further afield.

stoned

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2020 16:41    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

"and apologies to Stoned for sounding snitty. Text is often emotionless and I missed the joke. "

No apologizes needed Tracy, I don't think you were snitty at all. I was in a hurry when I left that, I should have put a smiley face at the end... :-)

Speaking of health and safety...

since I know I may have a stone or two that has been irradiated by man (thinking of my smoky quartz), I wonder if I had a Geiger counter, how much residual is left over? Anything for me to worry about?

It wouldn't be allowed to be sold here I would think if it was radio active.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2020 17:53    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

stoned wrote:
..It wouldn't be allowed to be sold here I would think if it was radio active.

In no case it would be allowed, this is a non-commercial Forum.

stoned

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2020 18:49    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

What I meant was by saying "here".... as in the USA.

Tracy

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2020 08:45    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

"Irradiation" means receipt of energy from radioactive emissions/decay. The radioactivity is inherent to the material emitting the energy, it doesn't transfer to the irradiated object. If it did, you would become radioactive after getting an x-ray. :)

Your smoky quartz (which might have been naturally irradiated by the sun) is nothing to worry about.

Cheers
Tracy

stoned

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2020 17:43    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

Good to know Tracy, was worried I would start to glow if I kept it too close for too long. Thanks for putting my mind at ease. I learn a lot here, that's for sure!

cascaillou

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2020 19:48    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

Tracy wrote:
"Irradiation" means receipt of energy from radioactive emissions/decay. The radioactivity is inherent to the material emitting the energy, it doesn't transfer to the irradiated object.

Actually, irradiation treatment can make a stone radioactive, but that is a matter of the type of particle used for irradiation, and of the duration of irradiation (in which case a cooling period is required after the treatment before the stone is put on the market). Treatment by gamma irradiation (such as cobalt treatment, which is the most commonly used method nowadays), doesn't make stones radioactive.

stoned

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2020 22:34    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

Oh great..... :-(

Lets hope it was gamma irradiation (if it was irradiated), and it's already "cooled down"...
Wonder if there is a test I can run without a Geiger counter?

cascaillou

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2020 04:50    Post subject: Re: Weird rock. Smells STRONG - need help to ID  

My answer was rather addressing Tracy's statement.

You don't need to worry about your smoky quartz.

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: