We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 12:06

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Selecting minerals for an exhibition is a lot of work

Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Herman van Dennebroek

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2020 03:19    Post subject: Selecting minerals for an exhibition is a lot of work  

Selecting minerals for an exhibition is a lot of work (see The Joy of Tucson, 2020 Gail Spann Experience) The nice thing about it is that you once again hold pieces in your hands and can view and enjoy them from all sides.The administration and packing are indeed a much less fun job.
I speak from experience. For many years I have been providing the exhibition for our mineral fair, usually also with other collectors, but often with material from my own collection.
Sometimes also with specimen from museum collections. In 2018 I organized an exhibition about Cornwall minerals. Our National Museum “Naturalis” has two Cornwall collections, an ore collection and a general collection.
They are spread over two locations in storage. All together more than 2000 pieces. From the catalog I had made a pre-selection of specimens that could be interesting.
I worked through both collections in two sessions and made a final selection of around 120 pieces.
Then a location layout was made such that the specimen could be displayed in three groups (3 showcases).
During a third visit to the depot, I packed everything together with the curator and took it to the exhibition location.
All in all, it was a fascinating process and a great experience to let many historical pieces pass through your hands. Very educational. The exhibition was a success, although few people will realize how much work it has been.
The minerals were not top pieces as we like to see them today. They were brought together by geologists and mineralogists who did fieldwork research in the area and took examples for research with them.
On the photo one of the three showcases with Cornwall specimen
Success with the preparations.
Herman

IMG1423.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  16505 Time(s)

IMG1423.jpg

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2020 04:29    Post subject: Re: Selecting minerals for an exhibition is a lot of work  

Not just Cornish, but many are from further afield in the UK

Herman van Dennebroek wrote:
In 2018 I organized an exhibition about Cornwall minerals. Our National Museum “Naturalis” has two Cornwall collections, an ore collection and a general collection.
On the photo one of the three showcases with Cornwall specimen
Herman
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Herman van Dennebroek

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2020 05:40    Post subject: Re: Selecting minerals for an exhibition is a lot of work  

You are right James, not just Cornish. The layout of the exhibition uses the book Minerals of Cornwall and Devon. We have specifically followed the 5 mining areas that are discussed in the book.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Mar 23, 2020 09:37    Post subject: Re: Selecting minerals for an exhibition is a lot of work  

I have displayed at several show venues for about 15 years now.

The way I pick the show case display items depends primarily on 3 factors:
The theme of the show. Sometimes I follow the theme, sometimes I don't.
The overall quality and size of my pieces to be displayed, also somewhat dependent on my case theme and the show theme.
The show audience; is the show a specialized one or a general open show.

For most general shows with a range of dealers and a general customer base, I try to pick large colorful cabinet size specimens, at least a few of which are locally self-collected.

Most show goers connect with these large specimens, especially those that have been collected by me from nearby localities.
The parents are always remarking to their kids about how great some local self-collected finds can actually be.
Personally, I have found that in general shows, the display observers pass over cases with tiny specimens or rare examples from unknown far off places.
They tend to linger at the cases with showy and local or self-collected examples as they can "connect" with these type specimens.

The photo is of my 2019 Cincinnati Ohio case. "Colors Around The World".
Simple large cabinet size colorful examples with the 4 examples from Indiana all self-collected (top row right, middle row both ends, and front row middle).

fullsizeoutput_2cee.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  14661 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_2cee.jpeg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Index -> Mineral Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: