We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 05:24

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Torbernite from Musonoi DR Congo?

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Byron Anderson

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2020 18:12    Post subject: Torbernite from Musonoi DR Congo?  

Hello Mineral Experts

From my box of mystery minerals I present to you all what I think is a typical Torbernite from the Musonoi Mine in DR Congo. Are there other possible locations I need to consider for this specimen? Also, should I label this as Meta-Torbernite or is Torbernite ok? At what point does the parent mineral change enough to be classified with the prefix (specific to this mineral - I know it can differ for individual mineral species)?

I have photographed at various distances and lighting conditions. Let me know if additional photographs and / or close ups would be useful.

Funny note - I didn't realize how dirty this specimen had become until I viewed the photos! Needless to say the specimen got a bath. What a difference a little clean up makes....

P1080659_Resize.jpg
 Mineral: Torbernite
 Locality:
Musonoi Mine, Kolwezi, Kolwezi District, Lualaba, Katanga Copper Crescent, Katanga (Shaba), Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire)
 Dimensions: 4.5x4.4x0.6cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  9637 Time(s)

P1080659_Resize.jpg

P1080495 (2)_Resize.JPG
 Locality:
Musonoi Mine, Kolwezi, Kolwezi District, Lualaba, Katanga Copper Crescent, Katanga (Shaba), Democratic Republic of the Congo (Zaire)
 Description:
 Viewed:  9642 Time(s)

P1080495 (2)_Resize.JPG

P1080517 (2)_Resize.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  9658 Time(s)

P1080517 (2)_Resize.JPG

P1080503 (2)_Resize Better.JPG
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  9630 Time(s)

P1080503 (2)_Resize Better.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2020 05:38    Post subject: Re: Torbernite from Musonoi DR Congo?  

Byron Anderson wrote:
Are there other possible locations I need to consider for this specimen?
Hi Byron, I think this looks like a typical torbernite from Musonoi Mine, even the matrix should fit. Don't know if torbernite or metatorbernite (maybe only an analysis could confirm), but Musonoi should be correct anyway.

Regards
Tobi

wendellwilson

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2020 12:50    Post subject: Re: Torbernite from Musonoi DR Congo?  

If it's bright green and transparent then it's metatorbernite that crystallized originally as metatorbernite. Had it formed as torbernite it would have dehydrated years ago to become metatorbernite, and in the process would have turned milky green and opaque.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2020 14:15    Post subject: Re: Torbernite from Musonoi DR Congo?  

Take care with that specimen. It is radioactive, and likely fairly to highly so..... There are threads on how to handle radioactive minerals if you are not aware of how.

Byron Anderson

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2020 20:01    Post subject: Re: Torbernite from Musonoi DR Congo?  

Tobi - Thank you for the location confirmation.

Wendell - Thank you for the meta-explanation.

Peter - Thank you for the reminder on how to handle Torbernite. I carried the specimen from its storage to the photo-shoot in a separate container and only handled it during set up for the pictures. Washed my hands immediately afterward.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2020 00:04    Post subject: Re: Torbernite from Musonoi DR Congo?  

Byron Anderson wrote:
Tobi - Thank you for the location confirmation.

Wendell - Thank you for the meta-explanation.

Peter - Thank you for the reminder on how to handle Torbernite. I carried the specimen from its storage to the photo-shoot in a separate container and only handled it during set up for the pictures. Washed my hands immediately afterward.

Handling is not usually the problem...the problem with radioactives comes in with longterm display and storage, as they evolve radioactive Radon, which effects the lungs and increases the chances of lung cancer. While the risks are not great, the more radioactives you have, the more radioactive they are, the air flow and even what floor they are on [Radon is heavier than air], etc. et al.......will change the relative risks. Air exchange to the outdoors is the best way to handle it. If you have just the one radioactive, I'd seal it in a sealed container and only open it outdoors to let out the Radon. It is all a mater of relative risk, and everyone has a different take and sensibility on that..... I studied the well-known [in the scientific community, and unknown to the public] synergistic effect of different carcinogens. One example: smokers have a risk of Y times normal for lung cancer; and those exposed to lots of Radon have a Z times higher risk of lung cancer - but someone who smokes and is exposed to Radon has not an additive, but a multiplicative [I believe it is in the region of 10-20x] increased chance of lung cancer. Our 'modern' environment is SO full of carcinogens, we all have many synergistic effects [or one big one] occuring. Modern furniture, cabinets and carpets evolve carcinogenic gasses, for example. I could go on, but wil not. Someone will not post how I'm overstating the risks. My message: treat radioactives with respect, not fear.

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: