We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 14:45

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Aragonite "drill bit" twin

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bob Carnein

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2020 12:56    Post subject: Aragonite "drill bit" twin  

One of my special enthusiasms is twinned crystals. Despite the fact that it's a bit on the homely side, I recently purchased this aragonite twin that had been in the Kay Robertson collection. The label says it's from Molina de Aragon, Spain. When I received it, I was surprised to find that it has "drill bit" terminations (it's doubly terminated), unlike other Spanish aragonite twins I've seen. I have not found photos of any similar aragonite from this locality on mindat, but Kay Robertson's catalog number is on both the label and the specimen, so I'm sure the label goes with the crystal. Does any Forum member know whether the locality is plausible? How common are such twinned aragonites?

IMG_9163 (2).JPG
 Mineral: Aragonite
 Locality:
Molina de Aragón, Comarca Molina-Alto Tajo, Guadalajara, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
 Dimensions: 3.5 cm long
 Description:
Aragonite "drill-bit" twin
 Viewed:  19540 Time(s)

IMG_9163 (2).JPG

IMG_9160 (2).JPG
 Locality:
Molina de Aragón, Comarca Molina-Alto Tajo, Guadalajara, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
 Dimensions: 3.5 cm long
 Description:
"Drill-bit" termination.
 Viewed:  19547 Time(s)

IMG_9160 (2).JPG

IMG_9154 (2).JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 1 cm across
 Description:
"Drill-bit" termination on Spanish aragonite.
 Viewed:  19561 Time(s)

IMG_9154 (2).JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2020 13:28    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

That's a strange one! Most aragonite twins (trillings, really) do a pretty credible job of mimicking six-fold symmetry, but this one does not. It's not really clear how many lobes there are, and the overall appearance is more triangular than hexagonal.

I wonder if there are ever aragonite contact (vs. penetration) trillings?

I hope someone who knows the Spanish aragonites better than I do can help sort this out!

rweaver

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2020 13:48    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

One thing to keep in mind with the Kay Robertson collection is the fact she was collecting long before most of us were born.This would have led her to be able to collect from locations no longer around today. I knew Kay from spending time at the MSSC shows over the years and she always (from what I can remember) put in some very interesting cases at the shows.

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2020 17:00    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Interesting!
In Crystal Habits of MInerals, Kostov states both contact and penetration twinning (p 324).
He also has crystal drawings of both along with a molecular drawing of the contact twin boundary (p 37).
In Goldschmidt's Atlas check out drawings #22, #276, and #279.
So there should be more.
As a fellow collector of twins I'll be looking for another.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2020 17:17    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

The Aragonite was named in 1797 by Abrahan Gottlob Werner for the type locality, the village of Molina de Aragón, Spain. That is the main place for these unusual twins. That's not so well known, that's why Kay Robertson had a wrong label, labeling it as from the most popular place of them. So, your Aragonite most probably is from Molina de Aragón and probably from a place named "Morro Gorrino."

Aragonito - Molina de Aragón.jpg
 Locality:
Morro Gorrino, Molina de Aragón, Comarca Molina-Alto Tajo, Guadalajara, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
 Dimensions: 3,0 x 2,9 x 2,5 cm
 Description:
A good example

Piece and photo: Martí Rafel
 Viewed:  19437 Time(s)

Aragonito - Molina de Aragón.jpg

Johan Kjellman

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2020 06:22    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Actually, your twin resembles very much figures 234 and 235 on plate 86, the last one in Haüy's atlas from 1801.

cheers

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2020 12:38    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Thanks. Can you possibly scan that figure? Or is it available on-line (I did a search but was unable to find it).

Johan Kjellman

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2020 15:46    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Bob Carnein wrote:
Thanks. Can you possibly scan that figure? Or is it available on-line (I did a search but was unable to find it).

Bob,
I just pm'd you the link as it couldn't be posted here. PM me your email if it doesn't arrive

cheers

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2020 15:56    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Johan Kjellman wrote:
Bob Carnein wrote:

Bob,
I just pm'd you the link as it couldn't be posted here. PM me your email if it doesn't arrive

cheers

Yes you can, please check: Links within the message forum

Johan Kjellman wrote:
Bob Carnein wrote:

try this link:
https://archive.org/stream/traitdeminra05ha#page/180/mode/2up
(link normalized by FMF)

cheers

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2020 17:31    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Thanks, Johan and Jordi. What I'm seeing in the figure appears to have 2-fold symmetry (2 crystals intergrown). My specimen definitely has 3-fold symmetry around the twin axis. The forms present appear to be similar to those in the figure (essentially 2 sets of 4 prism faces), but my specimen is more like the "normal" aragonite cyclic twins with 3 crystals intergrown at 60/120 degrees..

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2020 18:44    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Fig. 36 in Goldschmidt is one of Huay's drawings - his fig. 234. I'm attaching a poor quality photo of the drawing.

Huay.jpg
 Mineral: aragonite
 Description:
 Viewed:  19192 Time(s)

Huay.jpg

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2020 19:21    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

That looks like a match! Thanks.

Johan Kjellman

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2020 06:26    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Bob Carnein wrote:
Thanks, Johan and Jordi. What I'm seeing in the figure appears to have 2-fold symmetry (2 crystals intergrown). My specimen definitely has 3-fold symmetry around the twin axis. The forms present appear to be similar to those in the figure (essentially 2 sets of 4 prism faces), but my specimen is more like the "normal" aragonite cyclic twins with 3 crystals intergrown at 60/120 degrees..

Hi Bob, what you see inHaüy's Atlas are four crystals intergrown "almost" as three. This has to do that three crystals do not suffice to close the full 360 circuit. Hence, two of the crystals, the two front ones on image 234, have a little extra groove (re-entrant angle). But the "quasi-symmetry" is three-fold, which is expressed in figure 235.
I looked in the text as well and Haüy mentions having one such crystal in his collection. I go and work sometimes in Paris with Haüy models. If there will be a next time, I will try and check out Haüy's own piece and hopefully post an image here.

cheers

Johan Kjellman

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2020 06:29    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Also, note that Haüy always publish individual images of the separate contributing crystals for the twin formations - each one in its actual orientation. In this case, figures 236-239.

cheers

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2020 09:18    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Aha! Now I see why both Fig. 237 and 238 are present in the plate. Unfortunately, I can't see the "groove" clearly on my crystal (there's a sort of "messed up" area where Kay Robertson's (and I) put our catalog numbers.

IMG_9164 (3).JPG
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 3.5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  19087 Time(s)

IMG_9164 (3).JPG

Peter Seroka

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2020 12:19    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Hi Bob

If you let me have your.address by PM, I'll send you a few more of those aragonite crystals with "drill bit terminations" (with visible grooves) from Molina de Aragon. As I am collecting at this classic site almost once per year, there are always a few extra specimens, which I give away to friends and institutions..

The locality, amongst the local people known as Cerro Pelado (bald mountain) at the Rio de Gallo (chicken creek), is about 2 km close to the beautiful city of Molina de Aragon, just next to a poultry-pig farm.

Having been known since more than 200 years, since its first description by the Spaniard Joseph Tuorrubia in 1754 (Aparato para la Historia Natural Espania), the Rio de Gallo-locality near Molina de Aragon has been productive in delivering uncountable specimens of fine, sometimes incredibly lustrous aragonite crystals. Most, however, are the well known "Trillings" from 3-7 cm.
Crystals with "drill bit" terminations are quite scarce; among 100+ "ordinary" twins there is one with "drill bit".
Overall, the locality is still rich and productive, especially after summer, when the grass had been cut by the farmers.

I have a collection of approx. 120 aragonites from the 65 most important occurrences in Spain. If you are looking for other crystals or oddities, please let me know.
Best regards,
Peter Seroka

Aragonite locality Rio de Gallo, Cerro Pelado, background City of Molina de Arago, Guadalajara, Spain.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  18863 Time(s)

Aragonite locality Rio de Gallo, Cerro Pelado, background City of Molina de Arago, Guadalajara, Spain.jpg

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2020 13:57    Post subject: Re: aragonite "drill bit" twin  

Peter, what a nice offer! Yes, I'd like one to go with a couple of penetrant ones I've obtained over the years from there.
I'll be seeking an answer as to why the two different habits, and what makes one favored over the other.
Are these rarer ones all 'drillbit' or do some have flattened c faces?
What a beautiful locality only to have a pig operation next door.
My address is:
2711 Mechanics Avenue
Savannah, Georgia 31404 USA

If you ever come this way, We'd love to have you visit.

Bob Morgan

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: