We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 06:47

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Mines active for mineral specimens only

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities

View previous topic :: View next topic  

David

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2020 09:53    Post subject: Mines active for mineral specimens only  

I really like the idea that there are mines around the world kept active by the mineral collecting hobby, especially considering that they usually exist because of the passion put into them by those who operate them and those collecting the minerals. Plus, I do believe that extra care is being invested in extracting and preparing the minerals. However, it is obvious that this is a risky business, as you never know what you get out of hard work. Therefore it makes sense there are not so many such mines.
So I wonder how many such mines are operational out there and what they produce? And what do you think about them? I wish there were more.
So I only know about a few mines active for mineral specimens only or mostly, please add to those.
1. Adelaide Mine, Dundas, Tasmania, Australia
2. Ampliación a Victoria Mine, Navajún, La Rioja, Spain
3. Sweet Home Mine, Colorado, USA (not sure, is it still active at this time?)
4. Maybe some mines in the Bou Azzer mining district in Morrocco (really not sure about this).

And another question, do you think are there other closed mines that might be brought up to life for mineral specimens extraction?
Thank you!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Josele

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2020 11:07    Post subject: Re: Mines active for mineral specimens only  

David, with very few exceptions you can add all the hundreds of single locations in Afghanistan and Pakistan listed in Mindat, most of them working on pegmatite minerals but also for metamorphic and alpine species.

And don't forget specimen mines from Brazil (as Pederneira Mine), US (as Tourmaline Queen Mine) and many, many more all around the world. I think this will be a long list...

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2020 13:08    Post subject: Re: Mines active for mineral specimens only  

David wrote:

4. Maybe some mines in the Bou Azzer mining district in Morrocco (really not sure about this).

Not at all

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2020 13:13    Post subject: Re: Mines active for mineral specimens only  

Roy Starkey wrote:

Have a look at:
http://www.ukminingventures.com
(link normalized by FMF)

and search for Greenlaws Mine - both in the UK

Roy

Roy,

The URL names (ukminingventures.com) are not allowed here. Please read Links within the message forum to know the way to publish links and URL names here.

Roy Starkey

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2020 13:30    Post subject: Re: Mines active for mineral specimens only  

Apologies Jordi - I thought that by not putting the full URL it would be OK, but provide sufficient information for others to follow-up.

I have made a note now of the correct formatting procedure.

Best wishes to all in these difficult times.

Roy

Dehne

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2020 16:52    Post subject: Re: Mines activee names for mineral specimens only  

In Australia in addition to The Adelaide Mine, there is Red Lead mine, and the Malbunka Copper Mine (source of azurite suns) in Central Australia. There are numerous other tenements that do not have specific mine names but are mined specifically for mineral specimens.
Australia

Matt_Zukowski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2020 16:59    Post subject: Re: Mines active for mineral specimens only  

Hasn't Ian Bruce been involved in some recent specimen-only mining at Tsumeb?

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2020 17:17    Post subject: Re: Mines active for mineral specimens only  

In the US, the Detroit Portal portion of the Sweet Home Mine has recently produced some specimens. These were seen at the recent Denver and Tucson shows.

The Southern Illinois Fluorite District is not completely extinct. The Hastie Quarry, at the South end of the Harris Creek District intersects old mine adits. Specimen collectors with a mining contract occasionally find a few specimens. These could be found at the recent Tucson show.

The Viburnum Trend mining district in Missouri continues to produce very collectible specimens as does the Linwood Mine in Iowa.

The list goes on and on. Many US mines and quarries continue to produce mineral specimens after their quarrying and ore mining days are past. Mineral specimen miners have contracts with the mines and quarries so specimens continue to trickle out.
Bob

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2020 17:36    Post subject: Re: Mines active for mineral specimens only  

Ian Bruce was involved in an attempt to reopen Tsumeb for specimens a number of years ago. From what I understand, a lot of money was spent and very little found.

A couple years ago he took over the Rogerley project from us (18 years of a very expensive hobby was enough for yours truly), and is having some luck on the Rogerley cross vein, which he has named the "Diana Marie Mine." Given the recently "enhanced" regulatory issues that he has to now deal with, I am sure this is costing a small fortune to do this. The same could be said for Joe Dorris with his amazonite recovery project in Colorado. When you see an extra "0" on the specimen prices, this is likely why.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2020 04:56    Post subject: Re: Mines active for mineral specimens only  

In Bolivia there are several small mines worked exclusively for specimens, like the Tomokoni vivianite mine, the El Desierto sulphur mine, etc.

Index -> Mines and Mineral Localities   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: