We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 18:04

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
  Index -> National Library of Spain / Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE) and FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2020 13:03    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - One more affected: Ste. Marie in June  

Thirty-second day, Tuesday April 14, 2020 in Barcelona

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2020 is not going to be held in June although they will try to do it later.

Someone said that his motto for these shaking times is: 'We will adapt' 😏

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2020.jpg
 Description:
From the Ste. Marie Facebook
 Viewed:  19196 Time(s)

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2020.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2020 23:35    Post subject: Re: Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2020?  

My Masters training was in Pubic Health and Epidemiology. I hate to be the bearer of bad news....but ALL politicians have been afraid to tell the general public what the experts know - this is not going to end in a few weeks or even a few months. This will likely not end until there is a vaccine and that is most likely 18 months away +/- a few months.

While some countries or areas may try having a mineral show, I personally would be afraid to attend one. My experience of them is they are about as crowded as one can get with people literally pushing past others to move to the next table. At some point this will be over - but politicians are not being honest for 'political' reasons and to keep up [false] hope. We are into this about 3-4 months depending on where one lives and have about another 18-20 months to go.

Again, I'm very sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

For dealers, I strongly suggest concentrating on on-line sales or some new kind of hybrid in-person sales in which potential buyers come one by one with face masks and keeping social distance - although I can't even think of how to arrange that safely or fairly. I think we will be lucky to have mineral shows as we know them starting up next year this time. One caveat, with any country that can arrange near total testing of the population and keeping those who test positive [with or without symptoms] at home or in hospital, as needed - then and only then will it be safe for those who test negative [and one would have to test virtually EVERYONE!] to go about 'normal' activities.

This is theoretically possible, but no country has yet developed the testing capacity and structure to do this without violation of human rights. China is perhaps closest to this, but with horrible intrusive violation of human rights - in the democracies this will prove much more of a challenge. I'm sure I have depressed many if not all with this post. I hope I am wrong. I think time will show I am not. Of course there will be places [Sweden now for example] where one might be able to mount a show - but the consequences of infections and some deaths one will have to assess if it is worth it for yourself and people generally. This virus is BAD, unusual, dangerous - and will NOT easily be defeated. If magically someone gets lucky and comes up with a vaccine or other medical strategy such as an effective anti-viral that already exists we will be very lucky and shorten the timeline I have mentioned. The chances of that, while not zero, are low.

This will be a difficult time for everyone and most every country [and the individuals in it who are not wealthy already] will be in financial ruin when this is over. I personally do not see how I will survive this period financially........nor can one plan, as one doesn't know when or how things will change. Tough times. Humanity is stupid and the political leaders even more so. I can point to books and technical papers warning of something like this coming for sure [only not sure exactly when and what] for MANY years....and now here it is!! Such zoonotic pandemics have been becoming more common in the last few decades and will show NO slowdown [will happen again]...and if we do not learn from this one, humanity and what passes for civilization will wither and die - much as happened in the Middle Ages during the Plague [Black Death] despite all of the advances in science and medicine. We as a global humanity must not only solve this pandemic, but learn and stop future ones [too complex to go into here], and prepare for them [as they WILL happen again - and soon], so we can stop them almost as quickly as they begin. It is possible, but will take an ENORMOUS effort and % of resources [I suggest taken from military budgets]. Depressing rant over...and sorry. I hope I'm wrong...my training tells me I'm not.

There will be partial returns to normalcy locally for short periods of time if and only if there is complete testing, tracing of positive cases and removing positive persons temporarily out of circulation in the public sphere.

No country now is even close to being able to do that.....and many have not even started planning for it and preparing for it. However, it is possible with enough will and money dedicated to the problem...and it is a HUGE problem. This is the greatest crisis, in my opinion, humanity has faced in the past 100 years [since the so called Spanish Flu which started in the USA] in 1918-19. That flu killed many more than 50 million worldwide. We have better science and medicine now, but we also have more humans and much greater travel of persons and things between cities and nations.
End rant.

R Saunders

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 03:54    Post subject: Re: Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2020?  

Mr. Peter lemkin you write a powerful message. Do you know if the virus can been seen under a regular microscope or only an EMC. electron scope? If so what eye piece and objective or nose piece? It seems that the pictures on TV news look more like an artistic version. I do own several microscopes from antique to medical and scientific. I realize I would never have a sample to look at. I agree that they only tells us what they feel the masses could understand.
Thanks, Bob

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 07:02    Post subject: Re: Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2020?  

R Saunders wrote:
Mr. Peter lemkin you write a powerful message. Do you know if the virus can been seen under a regular microscope or only an EMC. electron scope? If so what eye piece and objective or nose piece? It seems that the pictures on TV news look more like an artistic version. I do own several microscopes from antique to medical and scientific. I realize I would never have a sample to look at. I agree that they only tells us what they feel the masses could understand.
Thanks, Bob

The average size is 125 nm in diameter. I would think unless you have some pretty fancy and expensive optical microscopes, it may not be easy to find, let alone see.....I also don't know if some staining or contrast media would be necessary. Most of the images I see on news programs were taken with electron microscopes, I believe. There are some new types that don't need coating of the organic object with a metal or it being in a vacuum.....although those photos [mostly a strange purple-pink color] might have been coated virus done in a normal electron microscope. Scanning electron microscopes would likely do the best job.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2020 13:46    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Let's be glad  

Thirty-third day, Wednesday April 15, 2020 in Barcelona

Jordi Fabre wrote:

and Dr. Clotet responds (approximately): 'distance, masks and clean hands'

Let's be glad with Leyla McCalla and her energetic and happy 'Rose Marie'

Leyla McCalla - Rose Marie.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  19022 Time(s)

Leyla McCalla - Rose Marie.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2020 16:16    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Thirty-fifth day, Friday April 17, 2020 in Barcelona

With this post I end the kind-of-daily comments in agenda mode that I have been doing during these 35 days of confinement by the Coronavirus.

Due to my personal circumstances my confinement is being easy, but I can't stop thinking about everyone who is having a bad or very bad time. That, along with the fact that I could not move much, used to how I was always going up and down, and the unbearable feeling that political leaders around the world are a bunch of useless makes me prefer to continue with other topics ( minerals basically! 😉)

Pyromorphite - El Horcajo_Ciudad Real_Spain.jpg
 Mineral: Pyromorphite
 Locality:
El Horcajo Mines, El Horcajo, Almodóvar del Campo, Comarca Campo de Calatrava, Ciudad Real, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
 Dimensions: 9.5 x 6.9 x 5.4 cm.
 Description:
 Viewed:  18833 Time(s)

Pyromorphite - El Horcajo_Ciudad Real_Spain.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2020 04:12    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Incredibly beautiful pyromorphite, Jordi, wow!
Here's another beautiful nature photo from a friend, she found these little fellows having fun in her garden yesterday :-)

IMG-20200417-WA0037.jpg
 Mineral: Eucera longicornis
 Description:
Wetter, near Marburg, Germany
cute :-)
Photo © Nadine Häntzschel
 Viewed:  18715 Time(s)

IMG-20200417-WA0037.jpg

Dany Mabillard

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2020 04:23    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

I wasn't very active this week because after 6 weeks of recovery, I began to work from home. With this photo I'd like to pay tribute to all the parents that have to work from home and to take care of the children. Congratulations.

Have a nice weekend, take care and stay at home.

@Jordi, thank you for your daily comments.

DSCN7436.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  18713 Time(s)

DSCN7436.JPG

fena kuiperi

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2020 05:38    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Thank you all for the positive distraction in these severe days, your posts help me a lot to keep on. I made this photo as a contribution for strength and hope: one day this will flower!

IMG_8268br.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  18760 Time(s)

IMG_8268br.jpg

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2020 10:23    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

A photo taken early in the morning during a trek in the French Alps.

moon rock.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  18648 Time(s)

moon rock.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2020 12:25    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Azalea  

Urban gardens

Azalea (Rhododendron) under the rain that is falling today in Barcelona. A gray day like (I'm afraid) the next days & times will be...

Azalea ( Rhododendron).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  18408 Time(s)

Azalea ( Rhododendron).jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2020 14:25    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Always faithful  

Always faithful, elegant companions…

Fluorite on Quartz - Le Beix Mine_Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes_France.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite on Quartz
 Locality:
Le Beix Mine, Saint-Germain-près-Herment, Herment, Clermont-Ferrand District, Puy-de-Dôme Department, Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France
 Dimensions: Specimen size: 7.4 × 4.9 × 3.5 cm / main crystal 2.2 × 1.9 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  18191 Time(s)

Fluorite on Quartz - Le Beix Mine_Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes_France.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2020 13:56    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Symmetry and Color  

The symmetry and the color...

Fluorite - Tounfit_Boumia_Midelt_Drâa-Tafilalet_Morocco.jpg
 Mineral: Fluorite and Calcite
 Locality:
Tounfit, Boumia, Midelt Province, Drâa-Tafilalet Region, Morocco
 Description:
Main crystal: 2.1 × 2 cm
 Viewed:  17886 Time(s)

Fluorite - Tounfit_Boumia_Midelt_Drâa-Tafilalet_Morocco.jpg

bob kerr

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2020 14:55    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Symmetry and Color  

Jordi Fabre wrote:

Jordi - now THAT is a really nice fluorite - just love the crystal form also - all around excellent.

Well, I'm still here in Tucson waiting for some restrictions to be removed back east - we're expecting the first triple digit Fahrenheit temperature this weekend so it is definitely time to "get out of Dodge". With the heat, we've seen 5 snakes around the house - 2 rattlesnakes and 3 king snakes - little lizards are everywhere and the cactus are starting to bloom.

Some photos attached - with mineral references - for your viewing pleasure while in restriction.

bob

4lilies.jpg
 Mineral: Mariposa Lilly - Fujian Spessartine
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
in Catalina State Park
 Viewed:  17869 Time(s)

4lilies.jpg

IMG_0009.JPG
 Mineral: Hedgehog Cactus - Cobaltoan Dolomite
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
also in Catalina State Park
 Viewed:  17855 Time(s)

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG
 Mineral: Prickly Pear cactus - Sweet Home Rhodochrosite
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
Most prickly pear cactus are yellowish - these are vivid red
 Viewed:  17821 Time(s)

IMG_3462.JPG

saguro bloom.jpg
 Mineral: White wing dove on Saguaro Cactus blooms aragonite
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
in our backyard
 Viewed:  17841 Time(s)

saguro bloom.jpg

IMG_3445.JPG
 Mineral: Desert King snake
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
right out of the back door - about a meter long
 Viewed:  17840 Time(s)

IMG_3445.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG
 Mineral: Western Diamondback Rattlesnake
 Locality:
Arizona, USA
 Description:
also right outside our back door - was still a bit cold for it so it didn't rattle
 Viewed:  17835 Time(s)

IMG_3403.JPG

rweaver

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2020 19:59    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Symmetry and Color  

bob kerr wrote:
Jordi Fabre wrote:

Jordi - now THAT is a really nice fluorite - just love the crystal form also - all around excellent.

Well, I'm still here in Tucson waiting for some restrictions to be removed back east - we're expecting the first triple digit Fahrenheit temperature this weekend so it is definitely time to "get out of Dodge". With the heat, we've seen 5 snakes around the house - 2 rattlesnakes and 3 king snakes - little lizards are everywhere and the cactus are starting to bloom.

Some photos attached - with mineral references - for your viewing pleasure while in restriction.

bob

At least the rattlesnake is not green in color.

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2020 11:14    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

For those who prefer friendlier creatures, a couple of ibexes.

ibexes.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17612 Time(s)

ibexes.jpg

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2020 11:24    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

The above photo was taken not very far from the Mont Aiguille (Needle like mountain) in the Vercors range near Grenoble. For the story this mountain was climbed for the first time in 1492 by Antoine de Ville at Charles VIII's request making it the first or one of the first recorded climb.

Mont Aiguille North Face.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  17559 Time(s)

Mont Aiguille North Face.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2020 13:43    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

There is a crack a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in

Night but the light that will come.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17515 Time(s)

Night but the light that will come.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2020 11:31    Post subject: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19 - Ste. Marie in August?  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Thirty-second day, Tuesday April 14, 2020 in Barcelona

Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines 2020 is not going to be held in June although they will try to do it later.

More info from the local newspaper DNA (Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace)

Ste. Marie 2020 - More info from the DNA newspaper (1).jpg.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17223 Time(s)

Ste. Marie 2020 - More info from the DNA newspaper (1).jpg.jpg

Ste. Marie 2020 - More info from the DNA newspaper (2).jpg.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  17236 Time(s)

Ste. Marie 2020 - More info from the DNA newspaper (2).jpg.jpg

Bruce Friedman

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2020 13:14    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

No hablo French. Help, por favor, en English.

Bruce Friedman

Index -> National Library of Spain / Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE) and FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 13 of 19
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  

Jump to: