We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)
12 Apr-14:46:24 Re: collection of carles millan (Dany Mabillard)
12 Apr-14:44:22 Re: don lum collection (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 18, 2024 15:10

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Baby Blue Plumbogummite a/f Pyromorphite Pseudomorphism!

Index -> Micros & Macros - Images of Minerals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Conor Quinlan

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2020 15:03    Post subject: Baby Blue Plumbogummite a/f Pyromorphite Pseudomorphism!  

Hello Everyone!

As a relatively new serious collector I want to start sharing my showcase specimens on a more regular basis as well as get acquainted with the world of fine-mineral discovery! So I am going to begin doing a weekly post on my favorite mineral discovery(s).

Overview: For my first post I want to discuss one of my all time personal favorite finds which is a Truly Amazingly Formed "Plumbogummite a/f Pyromorphite Pseudomorph" Specimen in very near Perfect Condition! There are just a few broken crystals around the bottom of the specimen from extraction but from the top it looks absolutely pristine w/ All Crystals made Completely of Plumbogummite.

Color: Almost as ideal as it gets! The Plumbogummite is a classic Baby Blue & toward the smaller of the crystals you can see where some of the Yellow-Green Pyromorphite is showing through! The combo of colors really points out the Pseudomorphism that's occurring.

Structure: Probably one of the most unique aspects of this specimen are the perfectly formed "Dipyramidal Prismatic" crystalline structures (Resembles common Quartz Structure), which were formed by the Pyromorphite before being perfectly coated in a light layer of the Plumbogummite. The difference b/t the more common structure & this rarer one is the addition of a Dipyramidal Top which usually isn't included.

Pseudomprphism: One of the more unique pseudomorphs in my opinion given the awesome structural presence as well as the blend of colors from both mineral species! Would love to know what others think of it!

Curiosities: There one interesting aspect that I believe makes this specimen more interesting & that's the wonderful orange tinted crystalline matrix plus a curious bright orange mineral beneath the pseudomorphs that seems to be apart of the matrix.
Any help with this mystery would be great!

Please feel free to share your thoughts!

IMG_0584.jpg
 Mineral: Plumbogummite after Pyromorphite
 Locality:
Yangshuo / Laohu area, Haiyang Mountains, Guilin Prefecture, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China
 Dimensions: (7.75 x 5.75 x 4.5 cm)
 Description:
Top view of specimen showing Perfect Plumbogummite a/f Pyromorphite Pseudomorphism
 Viewed:  9266 Time(s)

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg
 Locality:
Yangshuo / Laohu area, Haiyang Mountains, Guilin Prefecture, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, China
 Description:
Side view of specimen which really shows off the length of the larger pseudomorph crystals!
 Viewed:  9261 Time(s)

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Top view of specimen showing Perfect Plumbogummite a/f Pyromorphite Pseudomorphism
 Viewed:  9264 Time(s)

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Plumbogummite Pseudomorph Mysterious Matrix
Images showing the back of the specimen & the interesting yet mysterious Orange Tinged Matrix of the Pseudomorph specimen
 Viewed:  9257 Time(s)

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0587.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Plumbogummite Pseudomorph Mysterious Orange Mineral
Close up of the mysterious bright orange mineral beneath several pseudomorphs. Maybe apart of matrix itself
 Viewed:  9275 Time(s)

IMG_0587.jpg

Tucson Mineral Show Fanatic Since (1999)
Reply to topic Reply with quote

LeadMineGal

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2020 09:03    Post subject: Re: Baby Blue Plumbogummite a/f Pyromorphite Pseudomorphism!  

What a beautiful piece! I love the colorful display. Once again nature takes my breath away. Thank you for posting.

bob kerr

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2020 11:35    Post subject: Re: Baby Blue Plumbogummite a/f Pyromorphite Pseudomorphism!  

Connor - a nice specimen indeed and welcome to the FMF site. it's great that you have joined us.

sometimes its good to look around the internet and look for postings of the top level specimens of a given species. For the plumbo after pyro from China that you present, a few years ago some specimens were produced that shook the world for this species - HUGE pyro xls mostly pseudoed to plumbo gummite and rich blue color.

the high end dealers like Collector's Edge and Arkenstone grabbed most of these but there were lots available elsewhere. take a look at the two photos I've attached - incredible.

concerning the orange tint to the matrix on your piece, it's a good bet that it's pyromorphite either an incomplete pseudo or micro-xls.

keep posting!
bob

plumbo after pyro.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: about 12cm across
 Description:
 Viewed:  9155 Time(s)

plumbo after pyro.jpg

plumbo after pyro 2.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  9126 Time(s)

plumbo after pyro 2.jpg

Conor Quinlan

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2020 15:17    Post subject: Re: Baby Blue Plumbogummite a/f Pyromorphite Pseudomorphism!  

Thank you for your comment, much appreciated!
Those are some gorgeous pieces indeed & I can see that the first specimen also portrays similar dipyramidal caps on top of the long columns. The blue color exhibited by the Plumbo is out of this world! If that's the true color its definitely among the best I've seen.
Very Interesting, that is actually along the lines of what I was thinking & hoping for the mineral to be, orange colored pyromorphite definitely seems to makes the most sense!
Even so though, the matrix still fascinates me because of the very clear & perplexing symmetry that exists as well as the fact that there appears to be multiple minerals & crystalline structures involved. I believe the surface of these crystalline matrices is either covered or partial pseudomorphed with a dark layer of Plumbo w/ a botyridal structure. As to what's beneath the layer I cannot begin to properly imagine myself. As pointed-out there is likely some orange Pyromorphite mixed in with the Plumbo throughout the surface of the matrices but I wouldn't be surprised if beneath they are composed of another mineral.
I have attached a couple close-ups of the matrix for anyone who wishes to comment!

IMG_0609.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Image showing a close-up of the Specimen Matrix which may be covered in Botryidal Plumbo
 Viewed:  8911 Time(s)

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0612.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
Image showing details of the Specimen Matrix which is probably covered in Botryidal Plumbo & may exhibit Orange Pyromorphite. The Matrix Crystalline Structure is peculiar but also very interesting & beautiful!
 Viewed:  8929 Time(s)

IMG_0612.jpg

Tucson Mineral Show Fanatic Since (1999)

Index -> Micros & Macros - Images of Minerals   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: