We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 08:30

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
To test or not to test

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bob Harman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2020 15:42    Post subject: To test or not to test  

This subject, on its face, seems straight forward, but looking closer there are some gray areas. Both on this website and MinDat, geologists and mineralogists tout testing to identify mineral species.......do this and do that.......hardness, specific gravity, reactions to acids, eds analysis etc etc. What is the specific mineral present??
Non-geologist collectors, especially those whose specimens are higher end aesthetic and fragile with real $$$ value, are not so anxious to test for fear of damaging or ruining the specimen. To those collectors, the precise mineral species present is not as important as preserving the quality, integrity, and $$$ value, of the specimen.

The pictured example, from my collection, self-collected about 15 years ago in Monroe county Indiana got me personally interested in this subject.
It is honessite(?) on quartz with minor dolomite. The example is a very fine display quality example of honessite(?); one of the finest display quality examples from Indiana with several acicular sprays up to 3.5 cm in size. Also with some $$$ value.
But is it truly honessite? Nickel sulfide oxidation products, I am told, include jamborite and pecorite. Some tested examples of honessite have been found to actually be millerite, jamborite, or pecorite or even a mixture in the acicular sprays. So what might my specimen really be?
The only way to tell would be to have several acicular strands from the several sprays tested. Only a non-collector mineralogist ever suggested testing my specimen. Not one collector ever suggested having my specimen submitted for testing.....damaging or ruining my display quality specimen. So there is where the testing stopped. My untested hi quality example is labeled "honessite (?)" and remains untested and intact. Test low end or stout examples, but think twice about testing delicate or higher end specimens. BOB

fullsizeoutput_34e0.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  2948 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_34e0.jpeg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2020 05:30    Post subject: Re: To test or not to test  

I love testing, it makes mineral collecting more fun. But I agree with you, Bob, about not doing destructive testing on aesthetic specimens (or even ugly ones) when there is only one sample available. I have no problem with having question marks on labels, and there are LOTS of "?" on labels in my collection.

Eventually better technology will be available, we'll all have high-tech idiot-proof pocket-size mineral ID instruments, and it will take all the fun out of it ;))
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2020 11:36    Post subject: Re: To test or not to test  

We should be doing MUCH more testing...only way to corral C 19!!!

Oops, automatic response to your title!!! Been inside too long with no access to mineral testing faclities.

I'm with Alfredo...always more fun knowing what you have and getting there (doing the testing) is at least half the fun.

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: