We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 03:38

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled

Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fiebre Verde

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2020 03:10    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Bad news for the mineral lovers.
The 2020 edition of the Munich show is officially cancelled since this morning.
Gerard
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2020 10:57    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Fiebre Verde wrote:
Bad news for the mineral lovers.
The 2020 edition of the Munich show is officially cancelled since this morning.
Gerard

I feel sorry for everyone who had travel and lodging plans in place, but given the current situation this is the smart thing to do.
Michael

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2020 11:12    Post subject: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled - Press release  

Too bad...

Munich Show_Event cancellation.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  11930 Time(s)

Munich Show_Event cancellation.jpg

Munich Show_Event cancellation (2).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  11882 Time(s)

Munich Show_Event cancellation (2).jpg

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2020 12:12    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Sadly the question becomes when will there be another mineral show - big or small, most anywhere?!?!?! I miss going to them and coming home having met interesting people who share my passion with minerals and a few [or more than a few] new mineral specimens.......sigh.....

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2020 08:41    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Hi to everybody!
I don't want to be a too bad predicter, but I think a mineral bourse will never ever take place again. We are in the middle of a hopeless war and we don't know whether and when it breaks up. We all miss the mineral expositions, but now there is another problem: our health. In Italy there are over 12,000 new cases per day and yesterday 89 people died. Our sector was already suffering before this pandemia, now it got the coup de grace. I hope I am wrong. Greetings from the second most suffering country in Europe.
Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2020 14:29    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Hi to everybody!
I don't want to be a too bad predicter, but I think a mineral bourse will never ever take place again. We are in the middle of a hopeless war and we don't know whether and when it breaks up. We all miss the mineral expositions, but now there is another problem: our health. In Italy there are over 12,000 new cases per day and yesterday 89 people died. Our sector was already suffering before this pandemia, now it got the coup de grace. I hope I am wrong. Greetings from the second most suffering country in Europe.
Riccardo.

I understand the sentiment, but I think [no, I'm sure] you are being too pessimistic. While there will be very very few [if any] in the near future, even Covid-19 will end as did the 1918 'Spanish' flu [which started in the US] and the various bouts of the Plague or Black Death in Europe and Asia in the Middle Ages. My masters degree is in Epidemiology and Public Health and while I can confirm this is a terrible virus, it will not last forever. Sadly, mineral shows by their very nature would be 'super-spreader' events, as people often crowd close to interesting tables/displays. I know the smaller shows here in the Czech Republic are so 'close' one has to sometimes fight one's way past others to move on to the next table. While bigger shows have more room and if everyone would wear a NH-95 mask it would help, now the number of persons allowed at an indoor event are very limited and changing all the time. Strangely, Czech Republic in March/April was just about the best re: Covid-19 in Europe and now it is the absolute worst. People are stupid. When almost all regulations were lifted in the summer, people felt the virus had gone away [after all you don't see any do you?!]....and now that things are being tightened again, people are NOT reacting as they did the first time. A vaccine or several and some theraputics will be developed in the next year. It is not a very happy time in my life nor for most others. But end it will......I hope I live long enough....

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2020 17:45    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Yes, I understand Riccardo's current depression, and I often feel similarly, especially since the Munich show was cancelled, but he is being far too pessimistic. Even in the midst of the pandemic, some shows were/are still being held, with stringent precautions, like Millau in France, two of the Denver venues last month, Kyoto show in Japan earlier this month... It is not the end of the world. With common sense behavior we will get through this. Meanwhile, the internet side of the mineral business seems to be booming, but I do look forward to going back to shows as soon as possible to fondle minerals with my fingers in person.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2020 00:54    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

I'm sure there are some creative ways some shows might be allowed to happen until we are all vaccinated and there are theraputics against Covid-19. One could limit the number of persons allowed in at any time and extend the number of days for example. In places where it is possible, outdoor [under a tent-like structure without walls unless it rains, is another possibility, although some might worry about night security - but that could be dealt with. Everyone wearing masks and wearing electronic distancing monitors would not be fun, but it is another option. Using UV-C lamps periodically is yet another option, but somewhat complex. Whatever the scarcity of normal shows now, they will return and Covid-19 will be over. My best guess is it will last a bit longer than most politicians want to admit, but not more than 1-2 more years [it will vary by country and even region - access to vaccine, etc.]. It seems like an eternity I know..... meanwhile I'm trying to go to the homes of some persons I know who have lots of minerals to sell and going through their for sale flats. It is not the same as a show for sure. As mentioned, buying online is still possible, but it was never to my taste except for rare and exceptional pieces. These minerals are from thousands to billions of years old and will be around long after this. I hope most of us will be, as well......hold on.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2020 07:33    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Hi to everybody! From what I can see, it's getting worse and worse, Yesterday over 16,000 cases and 136 deaths. Numbers are clear...
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Oct 23, 2020 08:34    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Hi to everybody! For what I can see, it's getting worse and worse, Yesterday over 16,000 cases and 136 deaths. Numbers are clear...
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo

Yes. It is not just your perception. It is reality. And it will get much worse in the next weeks and months. How long and how far it goes in the direction of BAD depends on many factors - but mostly for everyone to obey social distancing, viral hygiene, mask wearing and maybe NH-95 masks and not just surgical and cloth masks, and generally not meeting with strangers in groups or indoors. It will be a long and hard and deadly winter! But it CAN be turned around, as it was before. Too many people took advantage of the lessening of restrictions and many of them even thought the pandemic was over....when the truth is it has a minimum of 1 more year and perhaps 2 before it is over.....and it will end slowly, not all of a sudden. Even a good vaccine will not immediately end it, and even in smaller developed countries there will not be enough vaccine for everyone and it will be distributed to those most in danger first, then to the others in groups according to risk. Some will refuse to take the vaccine and in fact one usually only need about 60-70% to get the vaccine to end a pandemic [for the most part]. This dichotomy of health of the public or health of the economy is a false one. You can't have any economy with everyone sick and/or dead and you can't have a society without some economy - but for now, the governments are going to have to redistribute wealth among persons [i.e. take money from the rich] and from the governmental ability to extend loans, create money and run up debts [i.e. pay people to not work]. Anything else will create a situation of chaos, megadeath, and civil unrest. Sorry for the bad prediction...I think most governments will protect the economy and not the lives until it is too late and a very large number have died and the economy [they are trying to save] is gone that will take a decade or more to recover........welcome to 2020! Enjoy your minerals, nature, art and literature, and those things and persons you love.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2020 02:29    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Hi to everybody!
Peter, you are right by saying there could be no good economy without people wellness. I think it's all right for a very long term. In this moment there's just a choice to do: either economy or health! And health is much more convenient for enterprisers too, otherwise... whom could you sell your minerals? To a world population belowed TO 10%? (not BY 10%!)? Enterprises often look just to their wallet in THIS moment, right now, and don't think they can't sell a pin to a sick population! Ok, I hope (as well as you) we can see all in 2021 in Ste.Marie or in Munich...but I think it's still too early.
Greetings from a country where there were almost 20'000 new cases yesterday.
Riccardo.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2020 07:09    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Where there's a will there's a way. A number of dealers in Tucson around the Lester Road area are getting together for an unplanned "show" in early November. These venues are well spread out and spacious so it can be done safely.

bob

Another national show canceled....No worries! Come to Tucson before the Holidays! Many got together to open a 'by invitation' show in November. Wholesale suppliers will be open on November 5,6,7,8. All social distancing and safety precautions will be taken to make sure that we all remain healthy. Some will require an appointment.

We look forward to seeing you at the show on the 5th of November! Remember all boxes are in stock now.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2020 09:38    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Bob

Do remember that we keep this forum non-commercial, so should not promote any businesses. I will edit your post to remove names and numbers

James

bob kerr wrote:
Where there's a will there's a way. A number of dealers in Tucson around Lester Road area are getting together for an unplanned "show" in early November. These venues are well spread out and spacious so it can be done safely.

bob

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2020 09:47    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Hi to everybody!
Peter, you are right by saying there could be no good economy without people wellness. I think it's all right for a very long term. In this moment there's just a choice to do: either economy or health! And health is much more convenient for enterprisers too, otherwise... whom could you sell your minerals? To a world population belowed TO 10%? (not BY 10%!)? Enterprises often look just to their wallet in THIS moment, right now, and don't think they can't sell a pin to a sick population! Ok, I hope (as well as you) we can see all in 2021 in Ste.Marie or in Munich...but I think it's still too early.
Greetings from a country where there were almost 20,000 new cases yesterday.
Riccardo.

Riccardo, I can almost feel your sadness and fear from here. There is an expression in English that 'misery loves comfort'....so to comfort your misery, be glad you are NOT here in Czech Republic! We on Friday had over 15,500 new cases and our population is only 0.1667 of yours - meaning we are nearly having 5x more cases per 100M persons here than there..... Stupid Czechs and stupid humans......just ignoring the rules for public health. And our very good Minister of Public Health is about to be fired from his job. I fear in Italia the new cases may rise to 30-40,000/day before coming down again when people get frightened enough to do what they are told to. Here, for different reasons than there people ignore the 'rules' and it is out of control here. Czechs seem to want to win some kind of 'prize' for worst Covid-19 behavior and statistics....and are going to [sadly] soon be #1 in all Europe!

Good luck with the mineral shows mentioned above! If one were to really happen here, I'd not go unless I could rent a space suit complete with O2 tanks on my back......at this time!

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2020 15:43    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Peter Lemkin wrote:
Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Hi to everybody!
Greetings from a country where there were almost 20,000 new cases yesterday.
Riccardo.

Riccardo, I can almost feel your sadness and fear from here. There is an expression in English that 'misery loves comfort'....so to comfort your misery, be glad you are NOT here in Czech Republic! We on Friday had over 15,500 new cases and our population is only 0.1667 of yours - meaning we are nearly having 5x more cases per 100M persons here than there..... Stupid Czechs and stupid humans......just ignoring the rules for public health. And our very good Minister of Public Health is about to be fired from his job. I fear in Italia the new cases may rise to 30-40,000/day before coming down again when people get frightened enough to do what they are told to. Here, for different reasons than there people ignore the 'rules' and it is out of control here. Czechs seem to want to win some kind of 'prize' for worst Covid-19 behavior and statistics....and are going to [sadly] soon be #1 in all Europe!

Good luck with the mineral shows mentioned above! If one were to really happen here, I'd not go unless I could rent a space suit complete with O2 tanks on my back......at this time!

I can give you an update for today: over 19,000 cases and 151 deaths, over 2000 people in intensive therapy hospitals and almost 5,000 people hospitalized. Greetings by Riccardo.

Sante Celiberti

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2020 16:36    Post subject: Re: Munich Show (Mineralientage) 2020 - Cancelled  

Although off topic...

Personally, as an Italian, I would not be proud of these numbers.
Of all the records that Italy deserves this is the last one I want.
How much better it would have been if, during the summer, the Italians (but not only them) had shown greater intelligence and civic sense to contain the effects of the expected second wave!

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: