We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 00:11

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (r) 2021

Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2020 20:16    Post subject: Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (r) 2021  

October 26, 2020

Dear Worldwide Mineral Community Members;

In 1955, the Tucson Gem and Mineral Society (TGMS) put on the first Tucson Gem and Mineral Show® in a grade-school cafeteria. From such humble beginnings sprang what is now collectively called the Tucson Gem, Mineral & Fossil Showcase, which occupies over 50 venues around town from mid-January through mid-February. [In case you’ve missed it in all the hoopla surrounding the commercial shows, our Show, the Main Show, takes place in the Tucson Convention Center.] The Tucson Showcase is by far the world’s largest gathering of gem, mineral, fossil, meteorite and related earth science collectors, dealers and museum scientists. The Arizona Department of Tourism estimates it annually brings about $130 million dollars to the Tucson economy making it our biggest tourism-related event. TGMS takes parental pride in the economic/commercial juggernaut the Showcase has become, but we remain a local, volunteer-based, non-profit, Earth-Science education-focused group open to all comers. [Please visit www.tgms.org for more info.]

Our Show is TGMS’s annual gift to Tucson...it is the only show by and for Tucsonans and we are extremely grateful for the support we have always received from our community. We hoped and planned for the best during these difficult days of COVID-19 but find events have conspired to force us to the painful decision to take 2021 off and focus on bringing things back at a higher level in 2022! As members of the Tucson community, we feel we should explain the reasoning behind this decision while emphasizing our full support for the remainder of the 2021 Tucson Showcase in whatever form it takes.

Most importantly, TGMS does not want to be responsible for a single COVID-19 fatality or serious illness. Our Show is run by volunteers and many of us are in high-risk demographics...as are many of our participants and attendees. Consulting closely with the Pima County Health Department, the Mayor and City Manager’s offices and the good folks who run the TCC, it is clear that applying the mandated COVID-19 protocols to reduce risk would mean drastically restricted attendance and curtailment of many of our programs.

Second, our Show is much different from the rest of the Showcase. We are the public show with a unique combination of exhibits, school children visits, educational programs, scientific networking and family outreach. We annually create a world-class museum that magically disappears forever after just four days. Our equally enthralling “gift shop” includes a cadre of superb retail gem, mineral, fossil, meteorite, book and jewelry dealers, who complement the exhibits. This unique combination sets the TGMS Show apart from all the other shows in town.

Third, we expect that our Show dazzles everyone with displays of exquisite minerals, gems, jewelry and fossils brought by the worldwide Mineral and Gem Community. Restrictive COVID-19 travel policies mean many of our major domestic, and most of our international museum exhibitors and friends either won't or can't travel here. This effectively eliminates both our exhibits and educational programs.

COVID-19 related risks clearly make it impossible for TGMS to put on anything more than a shadow of our accustomed vibrant event. So, we’ve decided that it makes more sense to conserve our resources and apply them towards a Blockbuster 2022 Tucson Gem and Mineral Show®. We promise to pull out all the stops to bring you an unparalleled group of eye-popping fluorescent mineral exhibits, colorful minerals and gems from around the world, and some special surprises to shake everyone out of their post-Covid lethargy!!! See you in 2022!

Les Presmyk: TGMS President
Peter Megaw: TGMS Show Co-Chair
Richard Gottfried: TGMS Show Co-Chair
Patricia McClain: Executive Manager

Joseph DOliveira

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2020 20:24    Post subject: Re: Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (r) 2021  

Very understandable decision, I will miss being in Tucson in 2021. Looking forward to renewing acquaintances in 2022.

Joseph

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Brent Lockhart

PostPosted: Oct 26, 2020 21:11    Post subject: Re: Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (r) 2021  

Prudent decision Peter, I'm sure most will understand and see the logic. Looking forward to 2022.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2020 04:49    Post subject: Re: Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (r) 2021  

Sensible move although I doubt a 2022 show will be possible, either.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2020 05:55    Post subject: Re: Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (r) 2021  

James Catmur wrote:

I was going to say this before...then thought not to 'rain on anyone's parade or mineral show'. I trained in Epidemiology for my Masters, and follow this pandemic in detail. It may be possible to have a scalled-down version in 2022*, but likely not a full [normal] version until 2023. I hope I'm wrong, but the way things are going in the USA now and the time it will take EVEN IF we get a vaccine in a few months [optimistic before late Spring], it will take about a year to vaccinate everyone and get it fully under control. It didn't have to be this way. In Korea, Taiwan and some other countries they can have mineral shows now.

*longer time, fewer persons let in at any time; not allowed to roam very freely, but more likely following roped-in lines from table to table; all wearing masks and gloves; in an outdoor or semi-outdoor [only roofed] setting. /Again, hope I'm wrong, but think not. This is a bad one and not the last one. If the American people [and others around the World] don't take this seriously, the death toll will be enourmous. There are simply NO mineral shows I know of here in Europe. In summer, some outdoor ones might be possible with limited numbers allowed through at any time. The minerals aren't suffering, but those of us who love minerals are.

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2020 08:56    Post subject: Re: Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (r) 2021  

Peter, Les, Richard and Patricia,

I would like to commend you for showing such leadership in making this difficult decision. It is a huge decision but the times call for huge decisions. We all need to adapt to this new reality and make the required sacrifices.

Thank you for your decision, it will help limit the propagation of the virus and keep people from getting sick.

Cheers

J

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2020 10:03    Post subject: Re: Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (r) 2021  

Peter

I am a risk manager and practice what I preach about realistic planning. So I would start by assuming a scaled-down show might be possible in 2022 and I would plan for how I would run that, much as you suggest. I would have back up plans for a larger event and for no event and plan to switch plans once I have better evidence. I would say the chances at the moment are: full event 5%; partial event 35%; no event 60%. I would then plan on that basis.

Sad, I know

James

Peter Lemkin wrote:
James Catmur wrote:

I was going to say this before...then thought not to 'rain on anyone's parade or mineral show'. I trained in Epidemiology for my Masters, and follow this pandemic in detail. It may be possible to have a scalled-down version in 2022*, but likely not a full [normal] version until 2023. I hope I'm wrong, but the way things are going in the USA now and the time it will take EVEN IF we get a vaccine in a few months [optimistic before late Spring], it will take about a year to vaccinate everyone and get it fully under control. It didn't have to be this way. In Korea, Taiwan and some other countries they can have mineral shows now.

*longer time, fewer persons let in at any time; not allowed to roam very freely, but more likely following roped-in lines from table to table; all wearing masks and gloves; in an outdoor or semi-outdoor [only roofed] setting. /Again, hope I'm wrong, but think not. This is a bad one and not the last one. If the American people [and others around the World] don't take this seriously, the death toll will be enourmous. There are simply NO mineral shows I know of here in Europe. In summer, some outdoor ones might be possible with limited numbers allowed through at any time. The minerals aren't suffering, but those of us who love minerals are.

rweaver

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2020 12:01    Post subject: Re: Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (r) 2021  

Having worked for many many years in an environment where the use of the word “NO” was expected and used and at all levels in the work force, I can understand why they made this choice. People and Property safety should always take the priority over anything else. They made the right choice in this case and let’s hope the rest of the folks involved in the venues at Tucson make the same choice.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2020 15:06    Post subject: Re: Tucson Gem and Mineral Show (r) 2021  

Thanks for all these suggestions and cautions, blessedly we have not yet heard anyone say we SHOULD have a show regardless.

Minerals are wonderful things but none are worth dying or killing for!

As to the future, we are a science-based organization and will most definitely listen to the science as we see what unfolds and when.

Meanwhile, remember to support those who feed your habit...we want them around for after...whenever that comes!!

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: