We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 05:03

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Who can help me
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Volkmar Stingl

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2020 09:41    Post subject: Re: Who can help me  

Does it fizz with hydrochloric acid? If yes, then calcite.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote

James Tate

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2020 11:16    Post subject: Re: Who can help me  

Al,

Your new discoveries are very interesting, and once again share some similarities to samples recovered from the W.I.S. impact-related ejecta deposits. Man, I wish I could go exploring with you...it's not fair. That's where all the fun is.

I saw your samples yesterday but was stuck writing and sending emails with the academics, in regards to high-pressure phase diagrams of Iron-Oxides, such as Fe4O5.

No fun at all.

I believe one of your first inclinations are correct. These are likely marine organic fossil deposits of some type. And, likely involved within the suspected impact-event that took place near the location.

The upper levels of the W.I.S. Ejecta Deposits exhibit similar material that I could not initially explain. The material samples appeared to be a type of heat-related melt glass with pockets of sparkling crystals.

Knowing that larger impact events can produce a highly-ionized cloud of vapor and melt products, I assumed these specific samples might possibly be the result of that process. Very similar to a "fulgurite" caused by a lightning strike.

However, more study and investigation showed that W.I.S. marine fossils connected with the event-deposits shared a similar composition feature. Thus, likely explaining that these specific material samples must have been organic-material in nature at the time of impact and deposition.

*Always remember to grab some material samples for future reference and study. Especially the gray rock matrix that houses these interesting crystallized samples. You never know what micro-particles and fossil evidence may be hiding from the naked eye.

As always, I'll let you compare some of the W.I.S. material samples, and hope that it might help your investigation and research.

*I'm also curious regarding any Iron (Fe) related samples that you may find in the area. I've been studying some ancient Egyptian (Fe) beads found in a 5,000-year-old tomb, with academics being confident these (Gerzeh Beads) were created by a meteor impact event. This also suggests they could be connected with the mysterious Libyan Desert Glass that exhibit (Fe) particles in many samples.

Strange (Fe) material is also being located around the Farafra Oasis area of Egypt. These (Fe) samples were first classified as hematite but recently changed to marcasite. They have a strange snowflake-like crystallized appearance and could very possibly have been formed from the pressures and heat of an impact-event-process. An origin that a regular geologist would rarely or never consider.

Again...I wish I could be out there exploring this material with you. Let's get more into these "burning rocks" that you mention, and discuss more examples of impact melt glass characteristics, such as high-levels of pure silicon dioxide (Sio2), referred to as Lechatelierite.

Your Friend,

James Tate

WISmaterials1.jpg
 Mineral: Upper Level Melt-Fossil Products
 Description:
Locality: U.S. Western Interior Seaway

Impact-related material found within a sandstone-like deposit of catastrophic deposition. The composition appears as a type of pitted-fused-glass with pockets of sparking crystals. Note: Pockets of the original non-melted rock matrix exhibit a transitional melt-phase with outer edges fusing with the object sample.
 Viewed:  8939 Time(s)

WISmaterials1.jpg

WISmaterials2.jpg
 Mineral: WIS Horned Coral Fossil Samples
 Description:

Horned Coral Fossil samples recovered from the upper-levels of the WIS Ejecta Deposits. These fossil samples exhibit the same composition features as the material (pictured above). This would suggest that all material exhibiting this specific pitted-melt-fused structure was once a type of organic living organism during the time of the impact event. Note: Horned Coral Fossils were a common marine organism located within the ancient U.S. Western Interior Seaway, and went extinct during the KT Extinction Event (66mya).
 Viewed:  8985 Time(s)

WISmaterials2.jpg

WISmaterials3.jpg
 Mineral: WIS Material Sample
 Description:

Displays a closer view of WIS sample (pictured above) showing glass-like crystal growth. This sample is very similar to the possible marine-organic-materials you recently located in the western-desert area. The crystal growth obviously and likely occurred after the impact process, but still displays strange features of possible toasted-melt and deformation. These material samples have always presented problems with absolutes and solid explanations.
 Viewed:  8934 Time(s)

WISmaterials3.jpg

WISmaterials4.jpg
 Mineral: Upper-Level WIS Material
 Description:

Displays a 60x view of clear glass-like crystals. These crystals exhibit obvious planar fractures, and what I believe to be "deformation twinning." Note: Existing crystals that are "shocked" by high-pressures during an impact event would be considered as "planar deformation features," or PDF's. However, the sample shown here would be considered as :deformation twinning," A crystal product formed "after" the extreme high-pressure-temperature energy event.
 Viewed:  8937 Time(s)

WISmaterials4.jpg

WISmaterials5.jpg
 Mineral: Upper Level WIS Deformation Twins
 Description:

Another 60x view of suspected Deformation Twins. Note: The actual mineral composition of this material has not yet been identified, but shows a hardness factor around 7 on the scale.
 Viewed:  8934 Time(s)

WISmaterials5.jpg

ALshawani

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2020 15:50    Post subject: Re: Who can help me  

James Tate wrote:
Al,

Your new discoveries are very interesting, and once again share some similarities to samples recovered from the W.I.S. impact-related ejecta deposits. Man, I wish I could go exploring with you...it's not fair. That's where all the fun is.

I saw your samples yesterday but was stuck writing and sending emails with the academics, in regards to high-pressure phase diagrams of Iron-Oxides, such as Fe4O5.

No fun at all.

I believe one of your first inclinations are correct. These are likely marine organic fossil deposits of some type. And, likely involved within the suspected impact-event that took place near the location.

The upper levels of the W.I.S. Ejecta Deposits exhibit similar material that I could not initially explain. The material samples appeared to be a type of heat-related melt glass with pockets of sparkling crystals.

Knowing that larger impact events can produce a highly-ionized cloud of vapor and melt products, I assumed these specific samples might possibly be the result of that process. Very similar to a "fulgurite" caused by a lightning strike.

However, more study and investigation showed that W.I.S. marine fossils connected with the event-deposits shared a similar composition feature. Thus, likely explaining that these specific material samples must have been organic-material in nature at the time of impact and deposition.

*Always remember to grab some material samples for future reference and study. Especially the gray rock matrix that houses these interesting crystallized samples. You never know what micro-particles and fossil evidence may be hiding from the naked eye.

As always, I'll let you compare some of the W.I.S. material samples, and hope that it might help your investigation and research.

*I'm also curious regarding any Iron (Fe) related samples that you may find in the area. I've been studying some ancient Egyptian (Fe) beads found in a 5,000-year-old tomb, with academics being confident these (Gerzeh Beads) were created by a meteor impact event. This also suggests they could be connected with the mysterious Libyan Desert Glass that exhibit (Fe) particles in many samples.

Strange (Fe) material is also being located around the Farafra Oasis area of Egypt. These (Fe) samples were first classified as hematite but recently changed to marcasite. They have a strange snowflake-like crystallized appearance and could very possibly have been formed from the pressures and heat of an impact-event-process. An origin that a regular geologist would rarely or never consider.

Again...I wish I could be out there exploring this material with you. Let's get more into these "burning rocks" that you mention, and discuss more examples of impact melt glass characteristics, such as high-levels of pure silicon dioxide (Sio2), referred to as Lechatelierite.

Your Friend,

James Tate

Okay Professor James
I'll show you some pictures that are close to the pictures I thought

٢٠١٩١١٢٦_١٧٢٦٣٨.jpg
 Description:
West of Libya
 Viewed:  8897 Time(s)

٢٠١٩١١٢٦_١٧٢٦٣٨.jpg

٢٠٢٠٠٢١٣_١٥١٠١٥.jpg
 Description:
Libya
 Viewed:  8897 Time(s)

٢٠٢٠٠٢١٣_١٥١٠١٥.jpg

٢٠٢٠٠٢١٣_١٦٠٨٣١.jpg
 Description:
Libya
 Viewed:  8900 Time(s)

٢٠٢٠٠٢١٣_١٦٠٨٣١.jpg

٢٠٢٠٠٢١٣_١٥١٠٤٠.jpg
 Description:
Libya
 Viewed:  8925 Time(s)

٢٠٢٠٠٢١٣_١٥١٠٤٠.jpg

Volkmar Stingl

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2020 01:14    Post subject: Re: Who can help me  

Sorry, but I cannot see ANY impact-related feature up to now in your Libyan rocks. I see only chert (flint) concretions with some quartz crystals in hollows, and on the other hand calcite ...

Vinoterapia

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2020 11:10    Post subject: Re: Who can help me  

As I mentioned earlier in the post, and concurring with Mr. Stingl opinion, I believe that your samples are mostly chert concretions and some calcite crystals.

Making identifications by photographs are always tricky. I will suggest that you take some of your samples to a Geology school in your region. I am sure that you will find somebody to help you out with a proper identification.

To Mr.Tate:

I do not want to be impolite, but I am somewhat skeptic of your depiction of the "W.I.S." meteorite. I have been unable to find any information of such an event by searching the Internet, so my questions are:

Is this impact event recognized by some other name, when and where it occurred?

Is there a peer reviewed paper where we can find descriptions and analysis of the samples that you mention?

James Tate

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2020 14:11    Post subject: Re: Who can help me  

To Mr. Stingl and Vinoterapia,

Let me first say, that I completely understand your skepticism and personal perspectives involved within the scope of issues you are currently reading about. No need to “apologize,” or seem “impolite.”

I warned Al about the “academic community” and folks like yourself a few posts ago. Meaning, that to establish “sufficient proof” of asteroid impact-related materials is quite difficult and very unlikely for professionals and enthusiasts, as the both of you to accept. That is the nature of scientific recognition/acceptance and we can all trace that concept back to hundreds of years and thousands of debates within the different fields of scientific exploration.

That is likely the “one” thing we can all agree upon. Well, I am also guessing that both of you do not believe in a flat-earth theory? So, that makes two things at least.

Mr. Stingl offered his opinions/observations pertaining to the Libyan-Desert “suspected” impact-related evidence on hand and declared he was not convinced. Of which, I again warned Al that this would most likely be the case until more specific diagnostic-evidence-features of impact were recovered, properly studied, and interpreted correctly. As for proper scientific investigative principles and the concept of proving “extraordinary” discoveries, no clear and evident fault can be brought upon Mr. Stingl. He made no mention and offered not one observational-opinion based on the material evidence characteristics of the W.I.S. impact-related discovery I conveyed during my posts. This marks the specific individual as a hard-core “show me the evidence” scientific enthusiast. And you are to be commended for such rationalization. Meaning, the world in which you observe, is most likely the way it truly is.

Now, let us get into the conceptual understanding of what Mr. Vinoterapia had to say.

This individual also agrees the evidence of impact-related materials in the Libyan-Desert area are lacking sufficient proof and remains sincerely unconvinced. Again, I have already stated that more evidence is needed to fully establish that principle. However, I feel these two individuals do not quite grasp the “concept” of theory and exploration.

Meaning, the communication between Al and myself is embarking on the “attempt” and “possibility” to find impact-related materials to eventually “establish” something rare and truly valuable/important. This exchange is not meant to “prove” anything at the current moment. This exchange of information is meant to “explore” theories, possibilities, and both learn new information/data from the process.

Can everyone understand that?

It requires a myriad of data exchange and research to present and offer what both you, and many others demand. We are currently in the “process” of that exchange pertaining to the Libyan-Desert material. Maybe it is something. Maybe it is nothing. That is really the true question at hand, regarding Al’s Libyan-Area material.

Now, regarding what you had to say about the W.I.S. impact-related material.
You exclaimed that you are “skeptical,” which is fine. But why?

Because you searched the internet and found nothing supporting the impact-related nature of the discovery?

Because no “accredited” academic peer review process has been performed?

This is true. There is nothing. You will not find one single thing about it.

The W.I.S. impact-related discovery site is my own personal/private scientific research project.

Did the multiple-evidence-features and data I conveyed regarding the W.I.S. impact-related site not convince or sway your judgment about it?

These are profoundly important questions.

Meaning, I am curious what it would require to fully convince you (and many others I’m sure) of an impact-related discovery.

And please know...I do not wish to be “impolite.” However...

Are you capable of observing the specific diagnostic evidence features of impact-related materials and crater-morphology/locations, based on your own knowledge and conclusions?

Or...

Does it require a Ph.D. and peer review process by a collective audience to suggest and inform you of such?

These are legitimate questions, and I would be very curious regarding your answer.

Sincerely,

James Tate

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2020 14:18    Post subject: Re: Who can help me  

Topic locked according the point 7 of the General guide for using the Forum FMF with some rules and tips

Index -> FOR BEGINNERS: What is it? Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: