We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 17:12

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Heat changes some minerals - how?

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2021 10:32    Post subject: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

How does heat change a mineral? It should not change the chemical composition (unless the stuff burns). If it is temperature that does it you would expect the change to revert when it cools.
What happens when heat alters a mineral?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

lluis

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2021 10:39    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

Dear Tom,

In case composition should not be altered, then it is simply a change among different forms stable at different temperatures....

If you raise the temperature, you would get the form that is stable at that temperature..
Change could be quick or slow, depending on species (for tin, it is slow,.,.. and is called tin cancer.... That, as far as I know, is not reversible (caused by low temperatures....)

With best wishes

Lluís

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2021 11:28    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

Tom...depends a lot on the mineral...in some cases changes in structure may be reversible when it cools off...although in some minerals the changes might be metastable and the reversion might take a long enough time that they appear permanent.

But for virtually any hydrous mineral, and there are lots, heating will drive off some or all of the H2O or OH and you will wind up with a new mineral....or a decrepitate. Some of these reactions are reversible, but not many.

A great example is all around us. Gypsum CaSO4 2H2O is mined and then heated to drive off most of the water....the product is Plaster of Paris. Adding water creates a paste we can mold into whatever shape we want and when it sets it is close to being gypsum again. Sandwich it between two sheets of paper and they call it sheetrock or wallboard.

Portland cement is another everyday example of what happens when you heat a mineral...in that case calcite CaCO3.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2021 11:29    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

Heating minerals below their melting point can induce any of a number of changes, depending on the structure and composition of the mineral. With minerals with structural water (zeolites for example), heating to a certain point will drive off the water causing the structure of the mineral to alter or break down. For minerals who's color is dependent on structural defects rather than chemical chromophores, heating can anneal these defects and bleach the color out of the mineral. Examples would be amethyst, kunzite, sherry-colored topaz, and many fluorites, to name a few. If the mineral contains any fluid inclusions, heat will cause the inclusions to expand, fracturing the crystal. This is quite common with fluorite and quartz from low temperature deposits. There are likely many more examples that others will think of.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2021 11:49    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

Hi to everybody!
Some years ago in Idar-Oberstein my work group and myself made an experiment with three gemstones: a brownish topaz, a gray zoisite and an amethyst quartz. After heat treatment they turned respectively to a rose pink topaz, a vivid blue tanzanite and a citrine quartz. Heat treatment is a very common one, as the biggest majority of us should know.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

lluis

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2021 13:28    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

Dear Peter

If mineral lose water, well, maybe pickish chemist, but changed also composition,
Which is one of the things Tom said that should not be..
Loosing water, reduction, oxidation are things that may happen on heating. But all them, well, changes composition. Changing from quartz to cristobalite, same composition, is only done heating (same as with achantite and argentite....)

With best wishes

Lluís

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2021 15:37    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

Not only water can be lost on heating. When Bolivian sodalite was first heated for analysis, the weight loss was attributed to an "anomalous water content" - until they noticed that it was NaCl that was being lost - They were losing common salt as vapor. Heating sulphates like alunite strongly can result in sulphur oxides or sulphuric acid vapor being lost. Pyrite can lose sulphur and turn into pyrrhotite. So when you say "heating" it's important to state how much heating is being applied. Heating a mineral red hot can certainly induce chemical changes other than just mere water loss.

lluis

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2021 15:52    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

Dear Alfredo

Losing salt, NaCl, common salt, kitchen salt, by heating, well, it is very hard....
Boiling point for it is 1465ºC. And if in a compound, probably higher....

On the other hand, as far as I understood, question was about changes without changing composition. Losing water, or sulphur, or sulphur dioxide, or whatever, well, is changing composition.

with best wishes

Lluís

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2021 16:53    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

Lluis, The water in the mud puddles outside my house has all evaporated, despite the temperature being much less than 100 C. ;))

lluis

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2021 09:24    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

Dear Alfredo,

Good point!
But, that is simply vapour pressure... Water evaporates because it tries to get the equilibrium with humidity in air. Done that air moves, it continues evaporating trying to find the equilibrium. If water was placed inside a closed room, it would simply evaporate till equilibrium is reached (that would probably mean, depending on size of room and quantity of water, that a quantity of water would not evaporate.
But talking about vapour pressure of salt, if you take a look at this graph, you will see that it is negligible until around 1200ºC, and then, still very low unless near its boiling point....
https://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?ID=C7647145&Mask=4&Type=ANTOINE&Plot=on
(Link normalized by FMF)

Then, to “evaporate” salt, say that it sounds odd to my eyes (just for physical reasons...)
Anyway, may you be so kind to send me a link where I may read the work and conditions?
On the other hand, as I said before, as far as I understood, the question was about changes in minerals through heat without changing composition. Losing anything changes composition, if my comprehension is not that bad...
With best wishes

Lluís

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2021 13:11    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

lluis wrote:
Dear Peter

If mineral lose water, well, maybe pickish chemist, but changed also composition,
Which is one of the things Tom said that should not be..
Loosing water, reduction, oxidation are things that may happen on heating. But all them, well, changes composition. Changing from quartz to cristobalite, same composition, is only done heating (same as with achantite and argentite....)

With best wishes

Lluís

Hi to everybody!
Lluis, you are right! A common example is chalks for blackboards, which are made by heating gypsum at a 120°C temperature.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2021 21:26    Post subject: Re: Heat changes some minerals - how?  

And let's not forget all the carbonates that lose CO2 when heated! Siderite changes into wûstite, magnesite into periclase, aragonite into lime, etc. (Peter Megaw already mentioned previously about calcite turning into lime.)

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: