We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 02:00

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Mineral spirituality?
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tracy

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2006 21:10    Post subject: Mineral spirituality?  

Does anyone have any thoughts to share about the spiritual/metaphysical properties of minerals? As a collector and a scientist there are many tangible things that attract me to minerals, such as structure (geometry/symmetry, crystal habits), color, uniqueness etc. At the same time, I have always been intrigued by the less-than-tangible "healing" properties and other magical "powers" associated with certain minerals (even though I have sometimes wondered why there is no such thing - to my knowledge - as an "un-healing" mineral; they all seem to have the power to fix one ailment or another). My position is somewhat conflicted: the logical part of my mind refuses to believe in such abstract concepts as metaphysics or healing power, while another side of me finds it comforting to think about the special "personality" of crystals/minerals as described on websites that cater to spiritually-motivated buyers. Also, it is rare for me to leave home without carrying at least one crystal or small specimen in my pocket or briefcase, both for the sake of being able to study them and because they seem to soothe me when I have heavy thoughts on my mind.

Is collecting minerals/crystals for their healing and metaphysical properties as "legitimate" as collecting minerals for the more "mainstream" reasons (or perhaps metaphysics is the mainstream and I have it backwards...)? I have mixed feelings about this as well. I think it depends on how one defines a collector: does the "true" mineral collector purchase specimens because they they are interested in the science of mineralogy, or because each new specimen brings them happiness, or both (or something else I have not considered)? If collector = mineralogist, then there is no place for metaphysics in collecting. On the other hand, if collecting = enjoyment, then it is equally valid to appreciate and acquire pieces because they enrich one's life or bring pleasure, as it is to value a specimen because of the tanglible parameters I mentioned.

Last, do you believe that minerals really do possess the healing properties attributed to them? Once again my logical mind rejects this notion. And yet, I have special fondness for amethyst and blue topaz because of what I was taught about their "mystical powers" many years ago. I believe that for a time these 2 stones served as emotional supports for me, though this statement is not based on anything rational. Did these stones "heal" me when I was younger? I can't say.

Though I have collected many different things throughout my life, I have delved into nothing else as closely tied to spirituality, magic powers, higher awareness, and (at the far end of the spectrum) windows to alien universes and knowledge, as are minerals. And without question, metaphysics and healing energies have influenced and increased the perceived value of minerals/crystals, all thoughout history. Which makes me wonder: should we look upon those who buy crystals because they find sustenance and healing - even religion - in them, in the same way that we regard someone who appreciates specimens for their shapes and colors and textures and compositions along with other, more "scientifically-based" attributes? Do minerals really have hidden energies and/or special powers, and should these be considered when appraising them along with more universally recognized parameters? Overall the scientist in me dominates my opinions, and I remain skeptical; but a little piece of me wonders about these things, and I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Deusedes
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2006 11:14    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality?  

I don't believe in healing properties of minerals, but I'm sure that the psychological effects of some physical properties of the minerals like their color, might provide some kind of help with physical and emotional healing. I have read something about this theme and about spirituality and I think that most of the spiritual properties attributed to minerals are related to their color. Maybe the colors can affect the way we are feeling, for example the purple color of Amethyst or the light blue color of Topaz could bring calmness, focus, and mental clarity.

I like the symbolism related to minerals too.

Jordi Deusedas (Parés)

jewelheart

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2006 09:45    Post subject: Spiritual and cosmic mission of minerals  

It is easy to pass the healing properties of minerals off with little regard especially in light the plethera of mis-information out there in the "metaphysical crystal craze". But let me shed some light on a few thoughts and see if my friends out there agree or are interested in looking deeper.

As quoted by Rudolph Steiner, father of anthroposophy "Vibrational resonance begins in the mineral kingdowm and ascends to mankind." In the rudimentary sense it can be describes as such. The minerals and metals in the earth marry and over time create beautiful crystals that due to their specific composition will grow up or down through the earth. theses minerals and metals then feed the plant world and the cow who eats the plant. Then man comes along and will eat the cow who ate the plant who ate the minerals and metals from the earth. It is through the process of transference that theses same minerals and metals that where found in the earth no create the bio-molecular structure of our physical house, "the body".

These same minerals and metals that create the very specific lattice structures found in the mineral kingdom create the same structure within our physical framework. The are specific for healing as well. In the embryonic state if some of these vital components are missing then the physical body will be missing what it needs to build the various organs and structure...everything is mineral dependant.

The exact same 30 degree lattice structure of silicon dioxide is identical in structure to the exact 30 degree lattice turn of our very own structural DNA. How is this possible? Is it not the same? When you think about the technical properities of silicon dioxide...how it is used in timing devices because of its ability to measure as constant as we know...and it's piezzoelectric abilities...it begs the question "Why are we so quick to recognize the abilities of these minerals in advancing technology but so slow to recognize their roles in the physical exixtence of our own bodies.? it is like putting more credence into the upkeep of ones car before their body.

Anyways our bones, our tendon, denton, nucleic acids, aorta, entire blood and brain all function on a piezoeletric ability. The aforementioned have the ability to tranfer and emit energy...sound is directed through our physical body via the bones...just to name one thing. The ability for the heart of individuals n the same room to beat in unison is caused by the pulses of the electrical fields to match up. and women in the same room for a lenghth of time will begin to menstruate together. because the blood is a crystal. I believe our ability to read others minds is due to the crystalline properties of the brain (the pineal gland is medically referred to as the crystal cavern because of its gritty sand particles...it is the gland of light consciousness) transmitting our thoughts. See how important it becomes to watch our thoughts?

Anyways I have much to say on this topic but am pressed for time...just found this sight. All minerals and metals have their own basic cosmic mission; what they are able to physically do based on their own inherent capabilites. Alluminum creates a bridge connecting the inner and outer. Silica is for communications and is no wonder it is the predominate mineral of the earths outer covering (our skin as well) in the form of igneus rock..Silica creates the outer covering ans psiritually is about consciouness..our planet is known as the bluestar able to communicate with other existences as well as the technological advances we have made with computers and timing devices through silica. Magnesuim thrusts light into dense fibers physically and nutritionally through every cell of our body. No wonder the magnesuim blow-torchers have such a white blinding light. Lithium lifts a heavy heart and it is no coincidence it is the thrid lightest element on the periodic table of elements. It has a low specific gravity and is meant to lift not ground. Lepidolite is the mineral composition that pharmicuitical lithium is goround from.

I could go on and on and that is part of the work I am doing these days. If anyone has info to add it would be greatly appreciated. I think the key here is to realize we are all "cut from the same cloth". Our difference is the soul which enters this physical format with its collective mission in tact. The body aids our mission.

Are these minerals and metals unique to our mission here only on earth? That is a good question. In some ways many of the minerals we know have are seeded on this planet. But the wonder is...through astral dust...the big bang...and other galatic events...what is the true origin of our planetary make-up and the minerals that perhaps create Emerald....whcih get its color from Berrylium which vibrates yellow on the chromatographic scale and oxygen which vibrates blue....these minerals and metals coalesce when the conditions present are just right and create these frozen flames. It is coincidentally (or co-existening instances) that most often the color of the mineral does have an important effect upon the healing of our physical body through light nutrition as the optic nerve absorbs and registers the color frequency. How interesting to note that the color of iolite...which has a high magnesuim content related to sleep derication and balancing the menstrual cycle of the female species...magnesuim is at the low ebb of the physcial body during mentsrtation,...is the same color...in color healing that is used to treat sleep deprivation. Ah the wonders of the world in balance and order. There are no mistakes but just the wonderous journey we are discovering, I believe, as science aims to connect the dots to the metaphyical harmony and happenings of many worlds.
Enjoy the journey,
Dawn Silver

Tracy

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2006 15:53    Post subject: Mineral spirituality part 2  

When I first submitted this piece for the Forum, I was concerned that I might be reaching out to the wrong audience by trying to merge "traditional" mineral collecting with metaphysics. But reading a review of the recent Munich show, it was quite surprising to find that the exhibition included a large Feng Shui garden that visitors could walk through and relax, and at least one session on the use of crystals and minerals as healing tools. If both disciplines (minerals and metaphysics/sprituslity/healing) can be featured together in such a major venue, then there is more commonality than I realized. Is it routine these days to include such sessions at the large mineral shows?

The central question I put forth in my posting was whether it is equally valid to be a collector of minerals because of their healing/spiritual proerties, or whether mineral collecting as a hobby is generally limited to tangible parameters such as esthetics, locailty, crystal habit, color etc. From responses to my other posting on what makes a collection "good," the answer appears to be that, at least to some degree, each person creates his/her own individual definition of "good" when building a collection. Therefore I conclude that It is just as valid to collect minerals for metaphysical reasons as it is for any other.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2006 05:34    Post subject: Re: Mineral spirituality part 2  

Mineral's collection hobby is (as its own name say) a hobby, so as a a hobby each one can built his own collection as him/her prefer following just its preferred reasons.
It is true anyway, that the mineral hobby implicate a scientific part and this part it increase the reasons to built a mineral's collection. You can give importance to this scientific part or no that's your choice. I prefer to keep together with each specimen that I collect its scientific and historic value and I'm no interested for its (theoretically) healing properties but as this hobby should give pleasure to each collector I feel that the best to do is to feel free and collect minerals just enjoying them and giving them the value that you wish: scientific, esthetic or something else. The final result: your own happiness is the most important thing.

About main shows it is true that them supply a lot of features related with the (theoretically) healing mineral's properties, but honestly I think that the main reason to do it is that this kind of shows needs a lot of public to pay the enormous charges that them cost, so one good help to attract a lot of people is to use this kind of "popular" features.

Jordi

Volkmar Stingl

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2021 00:23    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

Hard to say from this picture. Try another one with the "beryl" in front.

Did you do a hardness test? Streak test?

At the moment, it looks more like quartz to me.

Volkmar

Jim Wilkinson

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2021 09:24    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

Volkmar Stingl wrote:
Hard to say from this picture. Try another one with the "beryl" in front.

Did you do a hardness test? Streak test?

At the moment, it looks more like quartz to me.

Volkmar

grn beryl 2 - Crop.jpg
 Mineral: beryl
 Locality:
Maryland, USA
 Description:
here is a close up of the material in first photo
 Viewed:  14853 Time(s)

grn beryl 2 - Crop.jpg

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2021 09:44    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

What is the hardness, please?

Test 8 on this page

https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=19487#19487

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2021 11:16    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

This still looks like quartz to me. Quartz and ordinary beryl (not highly colored) are very difficult to tell apart in the field - and also by eye.

A hardness test will help, but the hardness of quartz and beryl are not that different, so it may be hard to get a definitive result. Try to scratch this with known beryl and known quartz, and try to scratch each of them with this.

Jim Wilkinson

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2021 21:29    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

Green mineral on specimen:

Streak is colorless
Not scratched by quartz
Scratches quartz

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2021 06:23    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

How about with corundum or diamond? It is harder than quartz (7), that helps, and makes beryl a bit more likely

Jim Wilkinson

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2021 10:26    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

James Catmur wrote:
How about with corundum or diamond? It is harder than quartz (7), that helps, and makes beryl a bit more likely

Green material on specimen is scratched by corundum

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2021 10:40    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

Now if you go to Webmineral.com you can do a search and find all minerals with a hardness of 8. (There are 28). Probably you will be able to rule out most of them based on scarcity, locality, etc.

Jim Wilkinson

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2021 17:18    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

Pete Richards wrote:
Now if you go to Webmineral.com you can do a search and find all minerals with a hardness of 8. (There are 28). Probably you will be able to rule out most of them based on scarcity, locality, etc.

They show beryl as hardness of 7.5 rather than 8. Base on color and occurrence I think it's beryl. Topaz has one record in MD and chrysoberyl has not been found in MD.

http://www.webmineral.com/cgi-bin/search/search.pl?Realm=All&Match=0&Terms=hardness-7.5&maxhits=10&Rank=31

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2021 17:57    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

I think you've done a great job of sleuthing this out! Enjoy your beryl!

Jim Wilkinson

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2021 18:32    Post subject: Re: Is this beryl?  

Thank you!

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2021 17:35    Post subject: Does anyone know more about the 'Baixão claim'?  

After a long search, I cannot prove this location:
Terra Corrida claim (Baixão claim), Coronel Murta, Minas Gerais, Brazil

The reference in Mindat: https://www.mindat.org/loc-69571.html is brief and as it is another claim called 'Baixao', well known for its Tourmalines, in Itinga, Brazil, I have doubts about whether there are two 'Baixão' localities or just one.
The 'Baixão' of Itinga has several scientific references, like this one, for example:
https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/20/007/20007425.pdf
and yet I have not been able to find any scientific reference to the 'Baixão' of the Coronel Murta.

Does anyone know more about these two locations?

mmauthner

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2021 03:04    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know more about the 'Baixão claim'?  

Hi Jordi,

I was looking up the locality for the Itinga Baixão mine for photos I had taken. In Mindat, the changes history shows that the Coronel Murta locality was once the same as the Itinga locality then changed back to its own. Mindat user, Reynaldo Contreira, provided some data but this was overwritten by others, assumedly not from Brazil. The only reference given for the locality is: Morteani, G., Preinfalk, C., and Horn, A.H. (2000): Classification and mineralization potential of the pegmatites of the Eastern Brazilian Pegmatite Province. Mineralium Deposita 35, 638-655. This reference was later removed. I do not have access to this reference, so I cannot tell you what it has to say, but perhaps you have access.

Best,
Mark

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2021 17:11    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know more about the 'Baixão claim'?  

mmauthner wrote:
Hi Jordi,

I was looking up the locality for the Itinga Baixão mine for photos I had taken. In Mindat, the changes history shows that the Coronel Murta locality was once the same as the Itinga locality then changed back to its own. Mindat user, Reynaldo Contreira, provided some data but this was overwritten by others, assumedly not from Brazil. The only reference given for the locality is: Morteani, G., Preinfalk, C., and Horn, A.H. (2000): Classification and mineralization potential of the pegmatites of the Eastern Brazilian Pegmatite Province. Mineralium Deposita 35, 638-655. This reference was later removed. I do not have access to this reference, so I cannot tell you what it has to say, but perhaps you have access.

Best,
Mark

Thanks Mark, I already saw it, and Reynaldo Contreras was the latest person to fix both localities in Mindat. I have total confidence with Reynaldo, so, I assume that in fact there are two 'Baixão' locations in Brazil, both with Tourmalines. Solved issue.

mmauthner

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2021 02:56    Post subject: Re: Does anyone know more about the 'Baixão claim'?  

Ah, OK.
Good to know.
Mark

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: