We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
29 Mar-08:09:52 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
29 Mar-07:25:48 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
29 Mar-06:20:21 Re: identification question (James Catmur)
29 Mar-00:03:53 Identification question (Jim Wilkinson)
28 Mar-23:16:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 29, 2024 09:22

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Please help id this olive green rock

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

CornelDumitru

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2021 16:03    Post subject: Please help id this olive green rock  

Hi, this is my first post here. Please help me identify this rock.
I have the specimen from a person who found it in the general area of south-west Romania.
The area is known for beauties like andradite garnet (Dognecea).
So I will see how many pics I can post, but here are the specifics:
Largest dimension is 13 cm.
Mass 883 grams, volume ~ 300 cubic cm, SG 2.95
Hardness ~6.
Full opaque, no translucent part.
Streak (see photo).
The "crust" ( I call that the contact area that looks weathered, or melted as I suspected at one moment) leaves a dark streak.
The main material (I call it "inside", the olive green luscious material) leaves no streak (that I can see). Or may be white.
Reaction to magnet. The "crust" will attract the magnet ( I have a video). The general material will not.
Reaction to LWUV. None.
Reaction to table vinegar. None on the interior (no effervescence, no bubbles). It dissolves and wash out some small dark particles from the crust.
The crust may have been in contact with pyrite, I can see particles with the loupe.
The main material has many inclusions like short black wires. And spherules of something. Manganese ?
The general appearance as uniform colour (olive green) is intriguing. It may not be a showcase specimen but the overall intensity and uniformity of the colour are special, IMO.
It does not look like sedimentary rock to me.
But crystal habit is not clear either. There are thin lamellae and some repeating angles, I hope the pics will show it.
Now on to the pics.

20210219_150548.jpg
 Mineral: unknown
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 1 "Interior"
 Viewed:  4755 Time(s)

20210219_150548.jpg

20210219_150602.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 2 "Crust"
 Viewed:  4767 Time(s)

20210219_150602.jpg

20210219_150638.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 3 Side with fresh cleavage
 Viewed:  4779 Time(s)

20210219_150638.jpg

20210219_150649.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 4 Side with crust
 Viewed:  4756 Time(s)

20210219_150649.jpg

20210219_150702.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 5 Side with interior
 Viewed:  4775 Time(s)

20210219_150702.jpg

20210219_150736.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 6 Interior close-up
 Viewed:  4755 Time(s)

20210219_150736.jpg

20210219_150809.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 7 Interior with band under crust
 Viewed:  4762 Time(s)

20210219_150809.jpg

20210219_150821.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 8 Crust close-up
 Viewed:  4748 Time(s)

20210219_150821.jpg

20210220_145438.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 13 Streak
 Viewed:  4760 Time(s)

20210220_145438.jpg

WIN_20210220_15_47_16_Pro.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 14 Microscope
 Viewed:  4754 Time(s)

WIN_20210220_15_47_16_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210220_15_51_24_Pro.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 15 Micoscope
 Viewed:  4750 Time(s)

WIN_20210220_15_51_24_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210220_15_53_57_Pro.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 16 Microscope
 Viewed:  4747 Time(s)

WIN_20210220_15_53_57_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210220_16_09_18_Pro.jpg
 Description:
Banat
13 cm
Pic 17 Microscope
 Viewed:  4757 Time(s)

WIN_20210220_16_09_18_Pro.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Kevin Schofield

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2021 16:17    Post subject: Re: Please help id this olive green rock  

CornelDumitru wrote:
Hi, this is my first post here. Please help me identify this rock.
I have the specimen from a person who found it in the general area of south-west Romania.
The area is known for beauties like andradite garnet (Dognecea).
So I will see how many pics I can post, but here are the specifics:
Largest dimension is 13 cm.
Mass 883 grams, volume ~ 300 cubic cm, SG 2.95
Hardness ~6.
Full opaque, no translucent part.
Streak (see photo).
The "crust" ( I call that the contact area that looks weathered, or melted as I suspected at one moment) leaves a dark streak.
The main material (I call it "inside", the olive green luscious material) leaves no streak (that I can see). Or may be white.
Reaction to magnet. The "crust" will attract the magnet ( I have a video). The general material will not.
Reaction to LWUV. None.
Reaction to table vinegar. None on the interior (no effervescence, no bubbles). It dissolves and wash out some small dark particles from the crust.
The crust may have been in contact with pyrite, I can see particles with the loupe.
The main material has many inclusions like short black wires. And spherules of something. Manganese ?
The general appearance as uniform colour (olive green) is intriguing. It may not be a showcase specimen but the overall intensity and uniformity of the colour are special, IMO.
It does not look like sedimentary rock to me.
But crystal habit is not clear either. There are thin lamellae and some repeating angles, I hope the pics will show it.
Now on to the pics.

Dumitru, firstly, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on doing all of the testing to help us on our way to helping you, and for taking good pictures.

After all that, you may be slightly disappointed to hear that what I believe you have is a piece of furnace slag. The glassy texture is one clue, but the real give-away is the "bubbly" pitted crust which in combination with the glass is pretty diagnostic.

Is the area from which the piece came an old (or even modern) industrial site?

CornelDumitru

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2021 17:10    Post subject: Re: Please help id this olive green rock  

Kevin Schofield wrote:

Dumitru, firstly, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on doing all of the testing to help us on our way to helping you, and for taking good pictures.

Hi Kevin ! My first name is Cornel. You are so flattering, thanks!

Kevin Schofield wrote:

After all that, you may be slightly disappointed to hear that what I believe you have is a piece of furnace slag. The glassy texture is one clue, but the real give-away is the "bubbly" pitted crust which in combination with the glass is pretty diagnostic.

Well, it cried "glass" to me from the first look. I remembered a piece of scoria, looking at that crust. But the colour was new to me and the person who owned the piece previously is frequently traveling in the mountains and he was not sure what this is, etc. I was also thinking "meteorite" for a while.

Kevin Schofield wrote:

Is the area from which the piece came an old (or even modern) industrial site?

Oh yes! The Romans came here in the first decade of the second century AD, they crossed the Danube river in that general area and they started right away mining and smelting iron and gold and what not. I would say, the furnaces never cooled since then.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2021 18:17    Post subject: Re: Please help id this olive green rock  

Cornel, I quite agree with Kevin, about this being most likely a piece of some kind of furnace slag; for all the reasons that he states. But my compliments, too, for your doing such a good job of describing the properties of the specimen--the hardness, etc.

To add one extra comment, as Kevin asked, this shows how it really is very useful--to those to whom you might be showing a specimen, to help identify what it is--to describe more specifically, where it is from. And not just "where", even the exact geographic location, but what sort of site it was found at; whether at a rock quarry, an old mine dump or mining prospect pit, an industrial site, a roadcut (through X kind of rock), a stream bed, a beach, a mountain top, etc. The more that one is informed about what sort of place the specimen was found at, the more one can be guided to give better suggestions of what it is!

Pete Richards
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2021 19:08    Post subject: Re: Please help id this olive green rock  

The second and third photos from the end show black spheroids which probably are droplets of the metal being smelted. It might be interesting to test these with a small, powerful magnet. You can hang one from a fine thread and bring the specimen close to it and watch for the magnet to deflect towards the specimen - that's much more sensitive than trying to tell by how it feels when you bring a magnet to the specimen.

SteveB

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2021 23:43    Post subject: Re: Please help id this olive green rock  

+100 to the posts on you providing exactly the sort of "what is this" post information that is requested. Too many people don't put any effort into letting us help them.

My gut is also glassy slag of some form. Many garbage dumps/land fills used to be burnt in order to reduce it down to allow for more dumping on the same site. Its possible this was a result of such. It could possibly be Roman in origin as they built smelters all over Europe as they expanded their empire. Or it could just be plain modern industrial furnace waste. If you had an accurate location point that would provide the extra research aspect to follow (many people think they have found something rare and valuable and so don't disclose the location so you're on your own really). As its not a natural mineral this forum can't help much further. A spectroscopic analysis of a piece may give you a clue as to what its waste from. It may be from glass maker or smelting a specific metal. If its roman it could indicate a location where a buried hoarde may be as furnaces take time to build and during the encampment treasures were often buried in deity offerings for success when they disembarked. All of those option require further testing and research of the source site precisely (country, town, region not good enough) and then find groups researching that subject in that region. If its roman it could have historical value but only if its found location is known (to the meter preferably) so it can become a data point on a map helping archeologists with their efforts.

cheers Steve

Index -> What is it? - Where is it from?   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: