We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 06:43

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Carles Millan
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

GneissWare

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2009 12:03    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Carles,

I asked an American who travels extensively in China procuring minerals and his Chinese buyer who also travels all over China buying and mining minerals. Both have seen these Stibnite/Baryte combos from Xikuangshan but not from the Dahegou Mine. This is not definitive proof, but between the two of them, they have handled many thousands of Chinese specimens.

You might want to ask the dealer you bought from if he can confirm the locality given, and maybe help research it back to his source.

Chinese minerals are notorious for their improper localities because many are collected illegally or without approval, so they hide the true locations to protect themselves. Unless you know the person who actually got them in China, or they are so obvious as to their location, it may be impossible for you to be 100 percent certain.

Bob
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2009 12:46    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Hi Bob!

Indeed I don't care much if the Baryte comes from Dahegou Mine or, as you suggest, from Xikuangshan Antimony Mine, since it is a specimen that I keep aside among the pieces I'd like to get rid of.

But, please, think about this: I posted a couple of photos of that Baryte at the Mindat site. If I edit the locality, the Mindat team will, as usual, ask me for a reference to justify the change. What do you think I'm going to tell them?

( For those who don't know what we are speaking about, that Baryte can be seen at https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=7206#7206 )

GneissWare

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2009 12:57    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Carles,

I don't disagree with you. I am always reluctant to revise a locality until I have done enough research to satisfy myself that the change is warranted. The problem is that in some cases you can never be 100% certain, because very similar specimens come from different localities. Unless you can trace back the specimen through the supply chain, you may always be uncertain.

In my catalog, if I change a locality for a specimen, I always document what the original label states, in case I made an error, so that a future collector could correct the error.

Bob

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2009 16:27    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan  

Fluorite, quartz

Group of deep purple cubic {100} fluorite crystals showing some phantoms, partly covered by very small quartz crystals. Overall size: 72 mm x 55 mm x 55 mm. Main crystal edge: 23 mm. Weight: 252 g.

Purchased in 1975 from Ernesto, a Berbes villager, for €1.20 (about €14 adjusted for today's inflation). Not a great deal of money!

Berbes Mining area, Ribadesella, Asturias, Spain.

This specimen is no longer in my collection.

Photos copyright © Carles Millan. Reproduction allowed as long as the author's name is cited. Creative Commons Attribution License - Some Rights Reserved.

3169M-fluorite.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite, quartz
Berbes Mining area, Ribadesella, Asturias, Spain
72 mm x 55 mm x 55 mm. Main crystal edge: 23 mm
 Viewed:  44571 Time(s)

3169M-fluorite.jpg

3169M-fluorite2.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite, quartz

Close up view
 Viewed:  44503 Time(s)

3169M-fluorite2.jpg

3169M-fluorite1.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite, quartz
 Viewed:  44502 Time(s)

3169M-fluorite1.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2009 14:15    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan  

(Old specimen, better photos)

Tetrahedrite, hübnerite, quartz

Miniature specimen with a single tetrahedral tetrahedrite crystal and some dark red to black hübnerite crystals set on a bed of crystallized colorless quartz. Overall size: 61 mm x 57 mm. Tetrahedrite crystal edge: 25 mm long. Weight: 110 g. I can't see any damage except in the periphery (the chip on the tetrahedrite edge seems to be a rehealing).

Actually a member of the series tennantite-tetrahedrite. So it might be from a Sb-rich tennantite to an As-rich tetrahedrite, somewhere between.

Mundo Nuevo Mine, Huamachuco, Sánchez Carrión, La Libertad, Peru.

Photos copyright © Carles Millan. Reproduction allowed as long as the author's name is cited and the image not modified. Creative Commons Attribution Licence - Some Rights Reserved.

My Personal Site

2271M-tetrahedrite.jpg
 Description:
Mundo Nuevo Mine, Huamachuco, Sánchez Carrión, La Libertad, Peru
61 mm x 57 mm. Tetrahedrite crystal edge: 25 mm long

Front view
 Viewed:  44633 Time(s)

2271M-tetrahedrite.jpg

2271M-tetrahedrite1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  44569 Time(s)

2271M-tetrahedrite1.jpg

2271M-tetrahedrite2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  44544 Time(s)

2271M-tetrahedrite2.jpg

2271M-tetrahedrite3.jpg
 Description:

Side view
 Viewed:  44551 Time(s)

2271M-tetrahedrite3.jpg

jimB

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2009 00:19    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

I think your pictures are very good. And, any one who takes 25 different views and settings to choose one deserves considerable credit. But isn't that always the way.... hard work gets the best results!

I also enjoyed the quartz on feldspar, elegant says it well.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2009 03:16    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

To jimB

Hi!

I do often have to take 25 pictures of one single specimen. However, the biggest load of work is not in the shooting itself (any 10 y/o might do it as well) but in choosing the best photos. You can easily shoot up to fifty times in a mere couple of minutes. But you are going to spend more than one hour in selecting and making some retouch if you want to get the best of your work.

Many thanks for your comments,

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 11:11    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan  

Fluorite, calcite

This is a huge (almost 2 kg and near 18 cm wide) and very aesthetic specimen purchased in 1974 from Joan Montal. Unfortunately there is some damage as can be seen in the main photo.

Group of deep purple fluorite in a {100} and stepped {110} combination set on a matrix of calcite. A scalenohedral calcite crystal is visible at the bottom right. Overall size: 176 mm x 142 mm. Longest fluorite crystal edge: 36 mm. Weight: 1922 g.

La Collada, Siero, Asturias, Spain. After a call to Jordi Fabre, who is a great connoisseur of the Asturian fluorite mines, I can add that this specimen comes from the 'Filón Josefa-Veneros' in La Collada mining area. And according to José Ramón García, it was extracted from the level 75.

Photos copyright © Carles Millan. Reproduction allowed as long as the author's name is cited and the image not modified. Creative Commons Attribution Licence - Some Rights Reserved.

3158M-fluorite.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite, calcite
La Collada, Siero, Asturias, Spain
176 mm x 142 mm. Longest fluorite crystal edge: 36 mm
 Viewed:  44401 Time(s)

3158M-fluorite.jpg

3158M-fluorite1.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite, calcite
La Collada, Siero, Asturias, Spain
176 mm x 142 mm. Longest fluorite crystal edge: 36 mm

Close up view
 Viewed:  44474 Time(s)

3158M-fluorite1.jpg

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 13:16    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Wow Carles! About your Asturias fluorite with calcite: I really like the preferential etching of the 011 faces. Nice specimen, and a thing of beauty to show people.

Good get!

Ed

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 13:26    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Ed Huskinson wrote:
Wow Carles! About your Asturias fluorite with calcite: I really like the preferential etching of the 011 faces. Nice specimen, and a thing of beauty to show people.

Hi Ed!

I'm glad you like it. But if you were Dave Wilbur you would have rejected it right away, wouldn't you?

Thanks,

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 14:50    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Reject it? Of course he would. But if it were flawless, then only the seekers of the holy grail of ICON status minerals would be able to afford it, que no?

What a great teaching tool the specimen is. For those who care and want to learn about such things, you can point out the etched faces, explain how they are parallel to (and thus do not cut a1), but that they do cut a2 and a3. Makes it easier to grasp the concept. But now we're revisiting the whole kinesthetic reinforcement thing.

For me, a good rock, wish I had it.

Keep 'em coming.

Ed

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2009 15:50    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Ed Huskinson wrote:
...if it were flawless, then only the seekers of the holy grail of ICON status minerals would be able to afford it, que no?

Right, Ed, I know who are you speaking of. A dozen or so of very wealthy people that are the 'elite' of the mineral collectors. And I guess none of them is involved in this forum.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2009 13:42    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan  

Fluorite

Ashtray shaped geode with numerous purple cubic {100} fluorite crystals and a bit of Baryte set on a porous muddy matrix. Overall size: 157 mm x 146 mm. Main crystal edge: 8.5 mm. Weight: 790 g. I can't see any damage except in the periphery. Purchased in 1975 from 'Manolo el Grello', a Berbes villager, for €3 (about €35 adjusted for today's inflation).

Berbes Mining area, Ribadesella, Asturias, Spain.

Photos copyright © Carles Millan. Reproduction allowed as long as the author's name is cited. Creative Commons Attribution License - Some Rights Reserved.

3159M-fluorite.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite
157 mm x 146 mm
 Viewed:  45045 Time(s)

3159M-fluorite.jpg

3159M-fluorite-a.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite
157 mm x 146 mm

Close up view
 Viewed:  45014 Time(s)

3159M-fluorite-a.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2009 15:10    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Carles,

i always enjoy your posts, you really have a wonderful collection! And because many beautiful mineral specimens look even more beautiful in combination with others, i would like to see some overall pictures from your collection. I would like to see how you arrange all these fine specimens and how they look together on display! So if you like - do me a favor and show me/us some pictures of your presented collection.

To me mineral collecting (and presenting) has much to do with culture and even with philosophy. And when i'm interested in a fellow's specimens, the more i'm interested in the way he arranges and presents them. We had some of such display impressions from Gail and from Ed, and i would be glad to see something like that from you. Thanks :-)

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2009 16:05    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Tobias Martin wrote:
So if you like - do me a favor and show me/us some pictures of your presented collection.

Tobias,

I like to, no problem. But I'm very unhappy with my minerals display. For many years now I've been looking for a reasonable solution (better showcases) but I couldn't find it yet. I'll try to get several shots in the next few days and post them here for you to see. However, I must confess in advance that my current showcases are not as nice as yours.

With the advent of the internet I think it's not that important to have a good presentation. How many collectors (per year) go to your home to see your collection? How many people look at your minerals posted, for instance, at FMF? I guess many, many more, right? (3,863 views so far). I have my photos published here, but also at Mindat with a very different layout. The combined number of views is about 30,000 times the number of collectors that physically come to my home. So, why bother to improve the presentation?

Thanks once more for your comments,

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2009 05:17    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

Ed Huskinson wrote:
Wow Carles! About your Asturias fluorite with calcite: I really like the preferential etching of the 011 faces. Nice specimen, and a thing of beauty to show people..

I am surprised that this comment of Ed's has gone this long unchallenged. I am not at all sure that the 011 faces are the product of etching. This feature has long been a characteristic of fluorites from this locality and I prefer to believe that it is a primary feature, not the result of etching. I suspect that if you examine these "dodecahedral" modifications of the cubes under magnification you will find that they are composites of two different forms fighting for dominance. One often sees similar features on pyrites as well as crystals of other minerals.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2009 05:59    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

John S. White wrote:
Ed Huskinson wrote:
Wow Carles! About your Asturias fluorite with calcite: I really like the preferential etching of the 011 faces. Nice specimen, and a thing of beauty to show people..

I am surprised that this comment of Ed's has gone this long unchallenged.

Hi John!

You are right. They are not etched. The {110} faces are stepped, as noted in my specimen description. The steps show 90º angles, as if they were cubes, but the the face as a whole has no doubt a rhombododecahedral symmetry. A typical feature of the fluorites from La Collada.

(The specimen we are talking about can be seen at https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=7405#7405 )

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2009 15:37    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan  

Aragonite

Gray to purple orthorhombic aragonite crystals, twinned cyclically on {110} and showing a hexagonal prismatic habit. Overall size: 61 mm x 52 mm. Prism size: 55 mm diameter, 31 mm high. Weight: 186 g. Purchased from Francesc Coma i Molist in 1966 for €0.30, who had recently collected it.

Minglanilla, Cuenca, Castile-La Mancha, Spain.

5509M-aragonite.jpg
 Description:
Aragonite
Minglanilla, Cuenca, Castile-La Mancha, Spain
61 mm x 52 mm
 Viewed:  46298 Time(s)

5509M-aragonite.jpg

5509M-aragonite1.jpg
 Description:
Aragonite
61 mm x 52 mm
 Viewed:  46226 Time(s)

5509M-aragonite1.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2009 15:41    Post subject: Collection of Carles Millan  

Aragonite

Brown to purple orthorhombic aragonite crystals, twinned cyclically on {110} and showing a hexagonal prismatic habit. Overall size: 57 mm x 39 mm. Prism size: 48 mm diameter, 25 mm high. Weight: 126 g. Purchased from Francesc Coma i Molist in 1966 for €0.24, who had recently collected it.

Minglanilla, Cuenca, Castile-La Mancha, Spain.

My Personal Site

5508M-aragonite.jpg
 Description:
Aragonite
57 mm x 39 mm
 Viewed:  47292 Time(s)

5508M-aragonite.jpg

5508M-aragonite1.jpg
 Description:
Aragonite
57 mm x 39 mm
 Viewed:  47200 Time(s)

5508M-aragonite1.jpg

Ed Huskinson

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2009 13:07    Post subject: Re: Collection of Carles Millan  

John S. White wrote:
...I suspect that if you examine these "dodecahedral" modifications of the cubes under magnification you will find that they are composites of two different forms fighting for dominance. One often sees similar features on pyrites as well as crystals of other minerals.

Thanks John. You are right. The modifications must be primary, and not due to secondary etching. As for "composites of two different forms fighting for dominance.", all I can say is "Well said". So it's actually due to preferential or differential crystal growth along the dodecahedral face. This must be governed by slight differences, perhaps electomagnetic, along that face. Differences that affect crystal growth in that area. Cool. And Carles noted it as well. Good on you, gentlemen.

So now, for lack of a Roman short sword, I must go fall on my Swiss Army Knife.

Keep 'em coming Carles, and you too John.

Thanks again,

Ed

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 15 of 49
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next  

Jump to: