We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 18, 2024 21:34

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
  Index -> National Library of Spain / Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE) and FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Roger Warin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2021 18:00    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Hi Don,
Thank you for your answer, because my language as a chemist is not always well understood.
No, your mind is not at all simple. Quite the contrary.
You describe the same reality as me.
What I wanted to describe, like you but with other words, is how the virus travels through the air, because I am afraid of the virus. I am an old man. For that I had to imagine how these organic corpuscles managed to stay suspended in the air like tobacco smoke. For this, these virus corpuscles must be enclosed in a fog, even invisible.
When there is a humidity of 70%, we do not see the water vapor. However, these tiny droplets (nano) can carry the virus.
This is what worries me the most. The virus is almost in a gaseous state. This is the worst possible situation. It is really pernicious, the worst of all. We see it in London today.
Currently, I am almost under house arrest by the state, with little ability to travel. Of course I can buy food and possibly buy other items. But I can't go to a hairdresser for my hair (I barely have more hair).
It is absolutely necessary to wear the mask like the soldiers gassed in the Yser plain in 1914-1918. The air inlet must be closed off as much as possible from above the nose.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2021 19:38    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Roger Warin wrote:
Hi Don,
Thank you for your answer, because my language as a chemist is not always well understood. I have to imagine how these organic corpuscles managed to stay suspended in the air like tobacco smoke. For this, these virus corpuscles must be enclosed in a fog, even invisible.

Roger,
The corona virus particles are 70–90 nm in diameter, so they can remain suspended in the air for quite some time.

Don Lum

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2021 23:11    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Hello Professor Warin,

Perhaps this study may be useful to you.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/25/uk-scientists-begin-study-of-how-long-covid-can-survive-in-the-air
(link normalized by FMF)

Don Lum

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2021 12:43    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

I have been watching the college football national championship playoffs on television the last couple of weeks and have noticed something interesting in the segments between the action. It appears that there are mineral crystals similar to beryl and quartz crystals in the graphics. Don't know why but this is the first time I have seen this and I have been watching football on television for probably 60+ years.

Don

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2021 14:56    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

I saw that too, and there were some that looked like ferberite and blue cap tourmaline. The graphic artist deserves some recognition. These were good!

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2021 15:33    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Hi to everybody!
Here in Italy it's strictly compulsory to wear a mask covering mouth and nose, and it's compulsory to respect an interpersonal distance of at least 1 metre. Nevertheless we have at least 300 to 700 deaths per day...
Greetings by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 27, 2021 10:09    Post subject: I hope that this photo brings a smile  

And, finally, I hope that this photo brings a smile to some faces during these hard times.

My grandson, 18 months old, is really into rocks.....these are his formative years!

My daughter and her husband live in Italy, North of Genoa. Both have dual US/Italian citizenship, with both being fluent in Italian and English. The little one speaks 3 languages, English, Italian and mostly gibberish.

The photo is on a recent trip to the beaches of the Ligurian Sea, near Genoa. :). BOB

fullsizeoutput_3989.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  11398 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3989.jpeg

Sante Celiberti

PostPosted: May 27, 2021 14:46    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Nice.
A great promise for mineral collecting, since that area is very rich in garnets, epidotes, diopsides, vesuvianites etc.
Let's hope he follows in his grandfather's footsteps. That's what I'm hoping about my grandchildren.
And let's not lose the illusion that the new generations are willing to listen to our "gibberish".

Best regards.
Sante

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 30, 2021 02:34    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Great, Bob!!!

I also hope that this cute little fellow will follow your footsteps. I know the proud feeling when the very young get involved in our hobby and when they seem to like it. My sons are 5 and 3 y/o and they're already interested in rocks, I hope this will endure! Good to to see that there are more little fellows who might be the FMF community of the future ;-)

Regards
Tobi

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: May 30, 2021 05:50    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

get vaccine :) and enjoy life

20210508_155210.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  11162 Time(s)

20210508_155210.jpg

20210508_154916.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  11186 Time(s)

20210508_154916.jpg

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: May 30, 2021 14:57    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Hi to everybody!
Here in Italy the situation is slowly improving, TOO slowly in my opinion. I got the first inoculation (AstraZeneca) on March 14 and I should get the second one next Sunday. Then... let's hope!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2021 14:15    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Yet life goes on...

Cycas revoluta.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10529 Time(s)

Cycas revoluta.jpg

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2021 14:35    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Hi to everybody!
Here in Italy the situation has significantly improved from the point of view of victims and hospitalized people, but cases are increasing again, due to the Delta variant. Ok, let's hope it's not so aggressive like the other ones, however I got my second inoculation on last June 6 and printed my Green Pass. My second inoculation was AstraZeneca once again and I had no problem at all. I succeeded in doing my bicycle tour through Europe the last three weeks too, I visited Jachymov, Annaberg, Ehrenfriedensdorf, Freiberg, Lwowek Slaski (despite the mineral show was cancelled) and Lubin. Keep healthy everybody!

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2021 01:49    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Hi to everybody! Here in Italy the situation has significantly improved from the point of view of victims and hospitalized people, but cases are increasing again, due to the Delta variant [...]
Same here in Germany. I got my 2nd vaccination with Biontech some weeks ago and I hope everyone here who wants to get vaccinated will get it as soon as possible. Stay healthy and let's hope that the situation doesn't get too bad again!

Best regards
Tobi

Dany Mabillard

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2021 07:45    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Finally after 2 weeks of rain, the summer is back .

20210720_210256.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10391 Time(s)

20210720_210256.jpg

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2021 22:40    Post subject: Corona COVID-19 virus - What is it ? Where is it from ?  

Hello,
As luck would have it, I was reminded of an interrupted discussion about the transport of the Corona virus in the atmosphere.
Here is what I wrote in March 2020, when I thought my life was in danger.
Aside from the few approvals of my ideas, I felt like I lived on a planet other than Earth, surrounded by an atmosphere composed in part of oxygen.
It is obvious, but it is because of this oxygen gas in the atmosphere that viruses are transported from one lung to another.
Oxygen is even the vector of clouds which can reach 800,000 tonnes during heavy storms.
And these clouds float in the atmosphere until a certain point ...
Here are my 16 month old thoughts!

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (1).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10360 Time(s)

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (1).jpg

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10359 Time(s)

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (2).jpg

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (3).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10397 Time(s)

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (3).jpg

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (4).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10358 Time(s)

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (4).jpg

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (5).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10364 Time(s)

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (5).jpg

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (6).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  10385 Time(s)

Coronavirus-19-en JD4 (6).jpg

R Saunders

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2021 04:45    Post subject: Re: Corona COVID-19 virus - What is it ? Where is it from ?  

While most of the article went over my head, I do feel that the virus must be blowing in the trade winds or the jet stream. Our face masks as we are told will only help catch the droplets we put out to help curb the spread.
Now a few days ago they say that 50% of all Deer in Michigan, USA may have the Corona Virus but don't know that they can spread it to Humans? So how is this possible and is it true?

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2021 06:48    Post subject: Re: Corona COVID-19 virus - What is it ? Where is it from ?  

I have a graduate degree in Epidemiology and Public and Environmental Science - and what you wrote did not go above my head. I get your points, but I'm not sure what you are trying to propose. An active mask rather than a passive one? I can easily construct one, but it will be very expensive. I think some companies make them for the well-off. They have nano-Ag particles and other similar, so not only trap the virus, but kill it. However, once the virus dries after some unknown number of hours or days [depending on many factors] the already dead virus becomes one that can not become semi-living again. You are likely correct about the polar H2O molecules being essential for gas-like spread, and the spike protein there may serve a second function more physical than microbiological - but to my knowledge this has not been studied. UV irradiation of empty rooms or homes or work areas at night are a good idea, and not too expensive...but one MUST get the correct wavelength lights and NOT look at them or shine them on your skin! They are being sold - but so few if amazes me. Everyone thinks Covid is going away. About 1.75 years ago on this forum I'm sure I depressed everyone on another thread that Jordi started that I felt Covid would be around for years in the active pandemic form and decades after that in the form we now experience the seasonal flu.
Stupidity, racism and classism will sadly give an end worldwide death toll of between 50-250 millions or perhaps much more!...it depends on when humanity starts acting as one and not everyone for themselves. Another product sold now are room air filtration units that have the proper wavelength UV light inside, but they are usually small and can't cover a great volume of air in the time needed. Dry indoor air is uncomfortable, but not a bad half-way measure. Social distancing and masking [with an active nano-Ag etc. mask] is always going to be a GREAT idea for the next year or two or three when around others - vaccinated or not! Hopefully, a better vaccine will be produced, but distribution of this one is so problematic for all the wrong reasons, that will be a repeat...and then there are the increasingly deadly and dangerous varients here and coming!!! I warned about that too. It is what evolution has 'taught' that tiny lump of non-living RNA.

As for the statement that the virus is blowing in the Jet Stream, relax. First of all, all of the Covid-19 ever were placed together they would fill half of a small water cooler cup! Dilution and thus a lower viral load means one will NOT get the disease unless one has a totally defunct immune system. And again, this undead particles of genetic material have a 'lifetime', that according to environmental conditions and surfaces last only from some mintues to the more likely hours to the occassional few days to the very rare few weeks. After that they can not rise up like zombies ever again.

A company here in the Czech Republic tried to make an active face mask and went belly up. I have NO idea why they did...but most persons wanted a half dollar/Euro mask [or less] with MFF3 standard and not one that would cost about $5-10/Euro each. It is possible however to construct such a mask that could be cleaned and re-used many times and just alternate with a few masks and make sure the seal is good.

One of the stupidest things I regularly see are those who cover their mouths and NOT their nose. People are so ill informed about science, medicine, history and ethics. The Great Plagues killed about HALF of all living people in the areas the Plague infected. Covid could even get that bad....but I do NOT think it will for many reasons...but it WILL be MUCH worse worldwide than 99% think in their worst nightmares - and especially deadly in developing and poor nations and even in rich ones among the poor and unfortunate to not have the usuals of a home, car, etc. Ditto those who have eaten badly over their lives and have comorbidities care of Coke, McDonalds, Snickers, potato chips etc. et al. and no health care - ah, America!...where I am from.

I will look online and see if anyone is currently making active masks at a reasonable price and post what I find. I'm fully vaccinated, but still wear a NH-95 mask when indoors or close to others outdoors! [I see few in the USA using them!] that has pores smaller than the virus!....if it had nano-Ag, then the trapped viruses would also be killed in less than a minute!....cost is a problem and disposal of nano-Ag products is as well.

People yes need to deal with the virus now, but had best also realize that it, like Ebola and the growing threat of novel viruses are part and parcel of both the Climate Emergency [anthropogenic] and too many humans invading too many Natural spaces and destroyting them. I think the reason we don't hear other 'intelligent' lifeforms out in space is that many, just as short sighted as us destroyed their civilizations shortly after developing technology due to wars, resource exhaustion and destruction of their environment........

Addendum: OK, just looked for a while on internet and yes, not popular, but nano-Ag masks are available from a price range of about 4-50 dollars/Euro each. [the high end are NO better, but appeal the the snob in some, as they have a famous name on them and are designed by famous clothes manufacturers. The low end look like the others all have seen and have no logo. All seem to be hand washable. I'm going to order some for myself.

Another thought....if you are correct about the almost 'clathrate' structure the H20 around the virus forms, then those who work in biological warfare would best know how to charge the particles and thus make them not act like a 'gas', but get stuck on things - most anything. I was wondering if those air ionizing devices might do that?.... I'll see if anyone has researched this.

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2021 09:27    Post subject: Re: Corona COVID-19 virus - What is it ? Where is it from ?  

Hello,
Thank you for the long nuanced answer you give me. I share your ideas. This is the first time I have received such feedback. In my message, I specified my usual caution at the beginning and at the end.
My article is not based on a bibliography. This is an advantage for me, I only looked at virions as a chemist, as I explain the origin of the color differences of copper sulphate or copper chloride.
I do not offer a solution for masks, because I do not have the skills. Although much criticized in Belgium (to the point of being seriously threatened with death - he had to live in hiding), the virologist Van Ranst saved us from a tragedy. But it's easier to stay confined behind a microscope admiring minerals and living in the countryside, one of the benefit of old age.
I think in the Namib Desert the virus will not survive. This is arguably the reason why part of Africa is escaping the virus as areas like Indonesia are hit hard. The temperature does not intervene much, I believe, except the extreme cold which dry the air.
I think we could be more wary in wet weather, which is common today.
However, Belgium is in a better position than France, a land of vacancy and mixing of peoples.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2021 14:24    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Hi to everybody!
Here in Italy the European Greenpass will be compulsory starting from August 6 for travelling by train, bus, ferry etc, and for having meal in a restaurant (if you eat inside the restaurant) or a break in a pub (but not for having coffee on the pub desk). However I downloaded it last month, so I'm ok, even if the Munich Show requires it!

Index -> National Library of Spain / Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE) and FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 18 of 19
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next  

Jump to: