We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 02:24

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
  Index -> National Library of Spain / Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE) and FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Don Lum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2021 14:31    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Here is an interesting article:

https://centerforfoodsafety.org/blog/6201/know-the-health-risks-before-investing-in-an-antimicrobial-nano-silver-mask-and-what-to-buy-instead
(link normalized by FMF)

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2021 00:58    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

It looks as if Jordi or some Administrator has moved this to the old 'Covid-19 thread'. I was wondering if someone in Administration was going to point out 'what does this have to do with minerals or the topic of the Forum?'. So, while one could argue ALL have to deal with the virus of the year [and next; and last year], by chance yesterday I came across the interesting fact that many viruses form crystals that look just like the crystals we know and love. Just put 'crystals' and 'virus' into a search engine and I'm sure you will find some. They tend to be small and have to be in liquid [the ones I saw - andI have never heard of one that can be dry and 'freestanding', but perhaps they exist too]. No word yet if anyone had made a crystal of Covid-19. If they do, I don't want one in my collection, thank you. The most beautiful and famous is perhaps the TMV (tobacco mozaic virus) crystals. Another reminder that they are very strange and basically non-living things which INSIDE of living things can act as directors of living cells and systems. They are more akin to just coded RNA (a few are DNA) with some protective proteins. No cells and no organelles. The 'undead' for sure......and perhaps the first visitors from space, but that has not been proven yet.

I did look into the matter of charged particle generators and the matter seems NOT to have been researched by serious researchers very much. What research does exist seems to be very mixed as to whether they [and the problem is there are MANY different types, that charge the particles in different ways and with different charges] help viruses tend to quickly settle on inanimate objects [walls, flooring, furniture, etc.] or allow it to stay in the air. A slight trend toward the former from what I read of the more standard types sold on the big internet sites.

A Czech spin-off of the company that went belly-up with the nano-Ag masks is now making a sheet of fiber to sell to mask makers and other health product producers that is both impermeable to viruses of the size of Covid and contains nano-Ag....in case you want to sew your own or start your own mask company. I don't think it will generally be available unless some Chinese company takes it on. It is certainly a GREAT idea and the only downside is that nano-Ag is harmful to the environment and must be disposed of as one does electronics [for exclusion from the waste chain and to be recycled].

I do think this general matter will affect mineral shows in the coming years. I think more and more shows will go ahead, but with Covid precautions of distancing, masking and some kind of proof of vaccination or recent negative test, etc. With a mask on I'd go to any show I know doesn't get to shoulder-to-shoulder situations [which means most Czech shows sadly will not be possible, unless they put them in larger spaces - unlikely]. They tend to be very well attended in small spaces with very poor ventilation for the attendance numbers, and in years past one would sometimes literally have to push past many others to move along the displays [i.e., social distance = 0!; sheep herd factor = 100%]

We in the developed nations are better off, but with 30-50% vaccination hesitancy even in developed nations and most nations at 0-5% vaccination now, we ALL are in bad shape, even if vaccinated when the varients worse than 'Delta' come - and they will!. The only answer is to get everyone on the Planet vaccinated as soon as possible! It is already very late in the day to do this now and I see no such effort ongoing...only moving lips. The usual from politicians everywhere. The recent trend to anti-science and the 'financial ends justify the means' attitude for the short-term on everything is frightening, even if I 'understand it', in part. It along with the virus and ones to follow soon are the enemy.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2021 10:20    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Hello,

"What does virus have to do with minerals or the topic of the Forum?" Maybe…'
Since this virus is presented to us as spherulites, it is not forbidden to believe that it is possible to crystallize (or to organize) such a virus.
But it wouldn't be a real crystal, but a semi-crystalline object.
This would perhaps be possible if this assembly is in the form of a semi-crystalline polymer.

A semi-crystalline polymer has crystalline areas (usually in the form of spherulites) and amorphous areas.
Thus there is a local folding of the linear chains, which allows the appearance of lamellae made up of cubic, orthorhombic or hexagonal unit cells.
I do not have experience in this area.

However, I observed in a thin section of luxullianite some Maltese crosses typical of the extinction of semi-crystalline polymers.
LUXULLIANITE THIN SECTIONS:
The granite rock of Luxulyan (UK) could only produce superb pics, surprising in more ways than one. This granite, which has undergone deep metasomatism, shows orthose phenocrysts and fibroradiated tourmaline spherulites. The birefringence of tourmaline (~ 0.03) gives second order hues under cross-polarized light. The aesthetic effect is surprising.
But it also appears, an optical phenomenon rarely observed in petrology, the presence of extinction crosses correlated with the existence of these spherulites. The position of these crosses is independent of the rotation of the microscope stage, which clearly proves their exceptional character.
But this is only my opinion.

If you want I can present a separate post on luxullianite (UK). It is the granite from the tomb of the Duke of Wellington at St Paul's Cathedral (London).
Roger.

Luxullianite#1-02_R.jpg
 Mineral: Tourmaline
 Locality:
Luxulyan (Luxullian), St Austell District, Cornwall, England / United Kingdom
 Description:
in granite
 Viewed:  9982 Time(s)

Luxullianite#1-02_R.jpg

Luxullianite#1-03_R.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
in granite
 Viewed:  10052 Time(s)

Luxullianite#1-03_R.jpg

Luxullianite#1-06_R.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
 Viewed:  10077 Time(s)

Luxullianite#1-06_R.jpg

Luxullianite#1-12_R.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
granite part
 Viewed:  10022 Time(s)

Luxullianite#1-12_R.jpg

Luxullianite#1-15_R.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
mixing
 Viewed:  10053 Time(s)

Luxullianite#1-15_R.jpg

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2021 07:01    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

They SELF-ORGANIZE as do mineral crystals! Here is an image of the TMV (tobacco mosaic virus) crystal - made up of MANY viri. The form of most viruses are crystal-like to begin with.

viral crystal1.jpeg
 Description:
 Viewed:  9916 Time(s)

viral crystal1.jpeg

Dany Mabillard

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2021 06:49    Post subject: Re: Stay at home - Coronavirus / Covid-19  

Hello everybody !

Nature must be protected and sometimes needs a little help with a touch of fantasy. The last project we realized with my wife, The "Desesperados Hotel" for the insects, our important friends.

Have a nice and safe day.

20210912_132559.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  9596 Time(s)

20210912_132559.jpg

Index -> National Library of Spain / Biblioteca Nacional de España (BNE) and FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 19 of 19
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  

Jump to: