We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 02:59

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
  Index -> A mineralogical trip through the states of USA

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Bob Harman

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2020 06:48    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

For the past several years, over these 6 pages of this mineral trip thru Indiana thread, I have posted some of my self-collected finds near to where I live. Many of the finds have been geodes containing rather common minerals.
Two of the previous photo examples of quartz, var chalcedony, were part of my Indiana quartz display case at the 2017 Cincinnati Ohio show. This case (also previously pictured) is again pictured below with some comments.

While "only geodes", as can be seen, most of my self-collected finds are cabinet size to very large cabinet size and are of my higher end finds.
Individually, ordinary geodes are, well......just ordinary....., but being large, colorful, photogenic, high end, and self-collected (!) these make for very nice display cases at the shows.

The Cincinnati Ohio show, a large regional show (known for its many display cases), like other local and regional shows, are attended largely by folks interested in seeing displays that they can connect with.
My display cases of local self-collected examples of large colorful Midwest geodes have always been positively commented on as being relevant to the viewers, many of whom are parents with youngsters.

Geode hunting in the US Midwest has always been a popular family pastime. Actually seeing display cases of locally found high end self-collected examples is a treat for many of the show goers.
They have routinely let me know of their approval.

The real importance of geodes is that, for many youngsters here in the US Midwest, collecting and seeing displays of them is an entrance into serious mineral collecting or careers in the geological sciences. Bob

fullsizeoutput_3009.jpeg
 Description:
_Indiana geodes
 Viewed:  16751 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3009.jpeg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

R Saunders

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2020 09:19    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Very nice and I always encourage our junior members. I found this one in the stream by Bloomington, Ind. Looks like a 2 1/2 in. cream pie.

20181001_081529.jpg
 Mineral: Geode
 Description:
 Viewed:  16690 Time(s)

20181001_081529.jpg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2020 09:24    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

For those collectors that find more traditional mineral specimens more appealing than geodes, I might remind them that the Elk Creek South Dakota barytes on calcite and the blue celestine examples from Madagascar have been culled from concretions and geodes.

So it is with this large cabinet size segment culled from a very large Indiana geode found some years ago at the Harrodsburg road cuts locality in Monroe County. Bob

fullsizeoutput_3203.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte and Calcite and Dolomite on Quartz
 Locality:
State Route 37 road cuts, Harrodsburg, Clear Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: Example is 22 cm. The baryte is 3.8 cm. The surrounding calcites are over 5 cm.
 Description:
 Viewed:  16035 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3203.jpeg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 10, 2020 17:46    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Strontianite (SrCO3) is only found sparingly in Indiana.

In Monroe County, it occurs in geodes at the Harrodsburg road cuts. In Harrison County it occurs in vugs at the Corydon Crushed Stone Quarry.

It always occurs as small, 3mm - 7mm white feathery hemispherical masses associated with larger, more collectible calcites, barytes and dolomite; thus it is often overlooked.
Strontianite has to be differentiated from similar appearing hemispherical calcites and aragonite. The strontianite is more "feathery" in appearance.

To my knowledge there is no really display quality Indiana examples of this mineral, the examples that I have are in my Indiana reference collection.

fullsizeoutput_3252.jpeg
 Mineral: Strontianite, Baryte, and Quartz
 Locality:
State Route 37 road cuts, Harrodsburg, Clear Creek Township, Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: The specimen is 13 cm. The strontianite hemispheres are 3 mm - 7 mm
 Description:
Self-collected about 2000
 Viewed:  14164 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3252.jpeg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: May 27, 2021 09:01    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Bob Harman wrote:
In 2013, while field collecting at the Indiana rte 56 road cuts in Washington County, a fellow pulled off the road near my collecting. When this happens, I get a little anxious as to what the stranger's motives might be. This fellow though, was a friendly local who was interested in what I was doing and proceeded to tell me that he lived nearby with considerable surrounding land. He had a stream in a ravine and had seen geodes in it and said, if I wanted, I could explore the area. In general going onto private property is not so easy here in the U.S. Midwest, so I thanked him.
The next time I was down there, I made it a point to seek out his ravine with not much real hope as these situations rarely lead to anything substantial. The site was a steep heavily wooded rocky ravine with a sharp bend and a shallow stream coursing through the ravine. The rocky walls of the ravine actually hosted a few large and very large promising geodes so I became rather enthused. The whole site is not very big and over these past 2 years I have found about a dozen very collectible and hi end examples. These 2 pictured are probably the 2 best examples. The very large example has been shown to several dealers at the larger shows and they suggest culling out the area with the calcites to make a specimen rather than a geode, but so far, I have resisted.

fullsizeoutput_3a17.jpeg
 Mineral: Calcite on Quartz (variety milky)
 Locality:
Washington County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: 15 cm x 15 cm
 Description:
Recently curated the "cap"
See the larger portion of this specimen posted on June 11, 2016.
Near the top of page 3 of Indiana minerals
 Viewed:  13017 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3a17.jpeg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2021 08:56    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Nice quality or interesting very large Indiana geodes are surprising uncommon, most, for some reason, having a relatively small/dingy central cavity. This example shows a relatively small cavity, but otherwise is quite interesting.

This self-collected example from about 20 years ago is 11" x 9" or about 28 cm x 23 cm and weighs 37 lbs or about 16.8 kg. It was whole when collected, but I left the "cap" for other collectors, as adding nothing to this bigger portion.

Today I can barely lift the specimen, much less carry from where it was found back to my vehicle! This is the one example from my collection that "escaped" my display room as it is used as a conversation piece in our house's family room.

fullsizeoutput_39d2.jpeg
 Mineral: Quartz with Aragonite, Calcite and Dolomite (variety ferroan dolomite)
 Locality:
Monroe County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: 11 cm
 Description:
Druzy quartz, aesthetically iron stained quartz, aragonite , ferroan dolomite and calcite
 Viewed:  12847 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_39d2.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_39d5.jpeg
 Mineral: Quartz with Aragonite, Calcite and Dolomite (variety ferroan dolomite)
 Locality:
 Dimensions: the cavity is 14 cm x 9 cm
 Description:
druzy quartz, aesthetically iron stained quartz, aragonite, ferroan dolomite and calcite
 Viewed:  12831 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_39d5.jpeg

R Saunders

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2021 08:31    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

PYRITE : FeS2 from the Rensselear Quarry
Pleasant Ridge, Jasper Co., Indiana
Marcasite on pyrite on a couple.

#1 96 grams #2 268 grams

20210919_160705.jpg
 Mineral: Pyrite
 Locality:
Rensselaer Quarry, Rensselaer, Marion Township, Jasper County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: 47 mm X 40 mm X 40 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  12345 Time(s)

20210919_160705.jpg

20210919_160451.jpg
 Mineral: Marcasite on Pyrite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 105 mm X 45 mm X 48 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  12329 Time(s)

20210919_160451.jpg

R Saunders

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2021 09:12    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Marcasite on pyrite on a couple.

Item # 3

DSCN5168.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 11.5 cm x 7.6 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  12273 Time(s)

DSCN5168.jpg

DSCN5169.jpg
 Mineral: Pyrite and Marcasite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 12.7 cm x 11.5 cm x 7.6 cm
 Description:
bottom side
 Viewed:  12291 Time(s)

DSCN5169.jpg

R Saunders

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2021 12:56    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Item #3 marcasite / pyrite. after cleaning. Known for the oil shale and oil residue.

20210922_133624.jpg
 Mineral: marcasite / pyrite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 100 MM X 90 MM X 73 MM
 Description:
 Viewed:  12270 Time(s)

20210922_133624.jpg

20210922_133539.jpg
 Mineral: bottom side
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 100 MM X 90 MM X 73 MM
 Description:
 Viewed:  12256 Time(s)

20210922_133539.jpg

R Saunders

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2021 08:25    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Now closed and flooded.

Pyrite tubes and bitumen from the Devonian of Indiana,
Black = bitumen (petroleum residue)

20210925_130438.jpg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 128 mm x 115 mm x 57 mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  12111 Time(s)

20210925_130438.jpg

20210925_130526.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
bottom side
 Viewed:  12111 Time(s)

20210925_130526.jpg

20210925_130622.jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
pyrite tubes inside
 Viewed:  12109 Time(s)

20210925_130622.jpg

20210919_151823 (1).jpg
 Locality:
 Description:
pyrite tubes
 Viewed:  12094 Time(s)

20210919_151823 (1).jpg

Sante Celiberti

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2021 16:16    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Hello.

I guess this is the specimen you were referring to.

Although pyritized shells have been found in that quarry, after having seen your photos I exclude that your "tubes" may be baculites, as I had hypothesized at first.
The only mineral I have seen to have a resemblance to your "sticks", other than Cylindrite, is Melnikovite (a mixture of Pyrite and Marcasite).
The latter fits with your specimen and with the mineralogy of the quarry.

Congratulations on this nice specimen.
Sante

R Saunders

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2021 04:34    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Thank you for the information. It weighs 3 lb 1.5 oz = 1403.301395 grams and is still oily V's the above pieces that fit in my ultrasonic cleaner which removed much dirt and oil.

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Oct 04, 2021 08:47    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

I purchased a similar specimen from there with about inch long tubes. A dealer steered me to it at the Syracuse Show in the mid 1990's. After displaying it as a pyrite oddity, I donated it the the Indiana State Museum so people from Indiana could see something really interesting from their state. It's nice to know that this is not unique.
I always suspected it to be of a biological origin. They aren't stalactites.
Two possibilities come to mind. These are either pyrite overgrowths of something round that dissolved out. Whatever it was it would have to be rounder than anything inorganic found at that locality. Or they would be replacements of a round tube, again something organic.
The closest thing to these in pyrite are the tubes from Naica, Mexico. They are hexagonal in cross section, having formed around calcite overgrowths of filamental pyrite that then dissolved out. Being of inorganic origin they aren't round.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2022 14:51    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Hi All and a Happy New Year 2022 to everyone!

After a 6 month hiatus I am returning to the wonderful forum.

During the past 6 months my personal computer and those many others associated with our corporation have had their security enhanced . That now seems complete, so Jordi has assisted me in returning to his great forum. Thank you very much!

I will start 2022 with a simple overview of Baryte from Indiana.
If anyone out there is offered an Indiana Baryte specimen here are 2 helpful tips.

Indiana Baryte only originates in the 2 Indiana counties of Monroe and Washington.
And Indiana Baryte is only found in geodes.

Over the past 100+ years sooooo many geodes were collected and then discarded, that an infrequent Baryte example turns up where it did not truly originate from.
In addition, occasional geodes containing Baryte are found in stream beds of counties near to Monroe County (usually western Brown County), but these geodes did not originate there. They long ago weathered out of their host rock only to wind up in the stream bed.

When offered, Baryte examples might still be in recognizable geodes or might have been culled out from the geodes to become more of a traditional mineral specimen, much like the Elk Creek South Dakota Baryte examples have been culled out of concretions where they occur.

Pictured here are several further examples from my extensive Indiana Baryte collection.

fullsizeoutput_3f42.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte Dolomite Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Baryte crystal is 3.5 cm The geode is 12 cm
 Description:
Note that this geode is still in the host limestone. Also note the complex Baryte crystal termination with several apparent growth stages
 Viewed:  10587 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3f42.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3a48.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Baryte is 5.5 cm the whole example is 11 cm
 Description:
A very superior example of terminated Baryte partially culled to make a more traditional mineral specimen
 Viewed:  10581 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3a48.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3ab0.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 14 cm
 Description:
Several stout intergrown terminated crystals in this example. This geode is still in the host rock.
 Viewed:  10574 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3ab0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2c85.jpeg
 Mineral: Baryte Calcite Dolomite Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Baryte is 4 cm, Calcite is 1.6 cm. The 11 cm area has been culled from a larger geode
 Description:
Barytes at this, the only Washington County locality, are uncommon and of a peculiar greenish yellow color. They are cloudy and rarely lustrous.
This example is not from Monroe County, It is from the Indiana rte 56 road cuts in Washington County.
 Viewed:  10587 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_2c85.jpeg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2022 18:43    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

This posting will be some info on the Calcite found in the Berry Materials Quarry vs. the Calcite found in the Meshberger Stone Quarry.

Indiana has numerous Calcite locations, both contained within geodes and in simple cavities/vugs.

Two of the premier non-geode Calcite localities are the Berry Materials Quarry in North Vernon, Jennings County and the rather close Meshberger Stone Quarry near Elizabethtown in Bartholomew County. The 2 quarries are 11 miles (17.70 km) apart. The host rock for both is Dolostone (also called Dolomite, especially by the mineralogists).

From the early 1960s thru the 1980s collectors found many high quality Calcites of all sizes in the Berry Materials Quarry. These examples (especially smaller, mid quality examples) are still quite plentiful in the collector marketplace today. For some reason, although collecting was allowed in the Meshberger Stone Quarry in the 1960s thru the very early 1970s relatively few high quality examples were recovered. Mid quality examples from this quarry can occasionally be found in dealer stocks, but high quality cabinet size examples are very few and far between, only being very rarely seen today. After the early 1970s, quarry management cracked down on collecting with nothing coming onto the mineral collector market in the last 45 years or so. Prices for cabinet size better quality examples reflect this disparity.

Two examples from my collection are shown.

One interesting side note is that in 2008 and 2009 the late dealer/collector Joseph Freilich posted to MinDat a number of Berry Materials Quarry Calcite examples in which he also said Quartz was present. These can still be viewed as such in the MinDat photos of "Quartz from Indiana" or "Calcite from Indiana". In fact, no quartz, either of collector quality or otherwise, is found as part of the Dolostone host rock in the Berry Materials Quarry.

If you ever have the opportunity to acquire a nice quality cabinet size Calcite from the Meshberger Stone Quarry snap it up!

Enjoy, Bob

fullsizeoutput_3f45.jpeg
 Mineral: Calcite
 Locality:
Berry Materials Corp. Quarry, North Vernon, Jennings County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: Calcite is 7 cm on a 10.5 cm specimen
 Description:
Calcite on Dolostone host rock
 Viewed:  10556 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3f45.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3964.jpeg
 Mineral: Calcite
 Locality:
Meshberger Stone Company Quarry, Columbus, Bartholomew County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: Largest Calcite is about 10.0 cm on a 11.5 cm example
 Description:
Calcite on Dolostone host rock
This calcite is largely doubly terminated. It spanned the cavity so there is a small contact area on the "top" of the crystal.
 Viewed:  10559 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3964.jpeg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2022 03:49    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

As most field collectors know, iron oxides are so pervasive and common that many many collected mineral specimens have some degree of rusty iron staining. Trying to clean and improve the mineral specimens with various rust removing solutions meets with varying success. Some mineral specimens can be meaningfully improved, while most examples cannot.

Over the years, I tried to deal with this and came up with the idea of developing a reference collection of Indiana specimens that show the wide range of staining shades and colors. By themselves many of my examples are of low quality, but combining those, of the many shades, with more or less aesthetic stains gave me a nice reference collection. Most of these will eventually go to the Indiana State Museum to be added to their collections of Indiana specimens.

Here are some photos. Enjoy, Bob

fullsizeoutput_2b8d.jpeg
 Mineral: Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 11 cm
 Description:
Quartz geode, delicately iron oxide stained
More or less "peachy" colored
 Viewed:  10501 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_2b8d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_378e.jpeg
 Mineral: Quartz (variety chalcedony)
 Locality:
 Dimensions: full cabinet size, 16 cm
 Description:
Quartz var botryoidal Chalcedony
This example is well displayed for a show case with very aesthetic iron stain colors.
 Viewed:  10498 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_378e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_37ba.jpeg
 Mineral: Hematite on Quartz
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 9 cm x 6.5 cm
 Description:
Hematite on a druzy Quartz geode
A nice addition to the collection.
 Viewed:  10500 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_37ba.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_37c0.jpeg
 Locality:
Lawrence County, Indiana, USA
 Dimensions: 13 cm
 Description:
Quartz geode with "peachy color"Virtually all these examples in this thread were found opened and in creek beds. This goes along with basic process of becoming iron stained.
 Viewed:  10501 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_37c0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3f48.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 25 cm
 Description:
Complex, multichambered Quartz geode
And, finally, there is this "decor" display example. A very unusual multichambered geode with patchy staining alternating with fresh druzy Quartz
 Viewed:  10482 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3f48.jpeg

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2022 14:39    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

A question:
On any of your quartz lined geodes are there any that have three major rhomb faces for terminations of the quartz crystals and smaller minor rhombohedral 'gables' toward the base of the major rhomb faces?
Some like that are found in Keokuk geodes. I'm curious how common that habit might be. in other localities, like maybe in Indiana.

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2022 17:44    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

HI Bob and Happy New Year to you!

If your question is referring to the so called pseudocubic variant of the druzy quartz crystal tips discussed in a February 2018 article in Rock & Gem periodical, yes, they are quite common over here in Indiana.
They are often overlooked as most of the examples are found in lower end ordinary quartz geode examples.

I have several, including one previousy pictured on pg. 2 of this thread. I have reposted the example here. Look in the lower left of the cavity to see the best area. The small Malchite is very rare here and the reason I kept that geode.
I'll take a photo of another better example and post it within a day or so.

If you are referring to something else let me know and we will go from there. BOB

fullsizeoutput_2b2a.jpeg
 Mineral: Malachite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: Malachite is 2.5 mm in a 6 cm geode
 Description:
The unusual pseudocubic Quartz crystal tip terminations are best seen in the lower left of the cavity.
 Viewed:  10417 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_2b2a.jpeg

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2022 19:14    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

Bob, Here is another of my pseudocubic Quartz specimens.

Aragonite or Kaolinite coats the Quartz crystal tips. In this rather small cavity, there also is Smoky Quartz crystal groupings, making for a diamond dewdrop variant of this geode.

fullsizeoutput_3f49.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode is 7 cm
 Description:
Aragonite or Kaolinite coats Quartz var pseuocubic variant crystal tips
As well as the pseudocubic Quartz variant, this is a Smoky Quartz dewdrop variety.
 Viewed:  10370 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3f49.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3f4a.jpeg
 Locality:
 Dimensions: geode is 7 cm
 Description:
Aragonite or Kaolinite coats pseudocubic Quartz crystal tips
Smoky Quartz dewdrop variant of the geode in addition to its being the pseudocubic Quartz variant.
 Viewed:  10390 Time(s)

fullsizeoutput_3f4a.jpeg

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2022 23:15    Post subject: Re: A mineralogical trip through the states of USA - Indiana  

I think I see some of the Dauphiné twinning. In the attached photo the red arrows point to small minor rhombohedral ridges in a Dauphiné relationship to the major rhombohedral pseudocubes. The yellow arrows point to two side by side crystals in the Dauphiné 180 degree rotation from each other.
There are a few on mindat from Keokuk and others have been reported from Germany. Perhaps this is fairly common.
Thanks for your effort to get such good photos.

Bob

Keokuk.jpg
 Mineral: Quartz (Dauphiné twin)
 Locality:
Keokuk, Lee County, Iowa, USA
 Dimensions: 3 by 4 cm field of view
 Description:
 Viewed:  10190 Time(s)

Keokuk.jpg

Index -> A mineralogical trip through the states of USA   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 7 of 7
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  

Jump to: