We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 17:45

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
  Index -> News about Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2023 02:10    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

Thank you Bob.

Interesting to hear how the Internet might be affecting things. Back in 1995 I had a hard time convincing Jordi that photos would be a show changer from printed lists (which he did not do). I never foresaw its effects on shows, but that makes sense. We have gone from one single small photo to multiple photos and a video - I wonder what we do next?
Reply to topic Reply with quote

bob kerr

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2023 09:34    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

And finally, here's one that really caught my eye in Anton Watzl's booth - a triple gemmy gwindel from India.

bob

IMG_6820 (1).JPG
 Mineral: Quartz Gwindel
 Description:
 Viewed:  8845 Time(s)

IMG_6820 (1).JPG

John Hodgson

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2023 09:58    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

Thank you for all of your posts on the shows. Regarding your final comments, as an older hobbyist, I see a huge lack of interest in younger people collecting anything. Based solely on my experience, whether it is cars, figurines, stamps, etc., it is mainly older people with the interest.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2023 13:48    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

John Hodgson wrote:
Regarding your final comments, as an older hobbyist, I see a huge lack of interest in younger people collecting anything. Based solely on my experience, whether it is cars, figurines, stamps, etc., it is mainly older people with the interest.

Unfortunately you are right. Nowadays teenagers don't like/don't want to collect anything. Not only in America, but also in Europe. They have other interests. I don't know what will happen in ten years, but I am quite pessimistic.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2023 16:42    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

Carles Millan wrote:
John Hodgson wrote:
Regarding your final comments, as an older hobbyist, I see a huge lack of interest in younger people collecting anything. Based solely on my experience, whether it is cars, figurines, stamps, etc., it is mainly older people with the interest.

Unfortunately you are right. Nowadays teenagers don't like/don't want to collect anything. Not only in America, but also in Europe. They have other interests. I don't know what will happen in ten years, but I am quite pessimistic.

Sorry to disagree. Probably they do not feel comfortable with the 'old style' of the mineral Shows, but I believe that it is not the same with minerals online.
Take https://www.youngmineralcollectors.org/ as an example...

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2023 18:39    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

The open spaces at the TGMS main show were due to the absence of the big name dealers and their large, luxurious stalls. The rest of the show went on well with a lot of not so spectacular displays that got a lot of attention from the general public. The theme of silica worked well - something nearly everyone could relate to. The crowd was up from last year.
Some dealers at the various commercial shows said they did ok. Others said sales were off and thought the layoffs in the tech industry was partly to blame.
Not many dealers had anything for the beginning collector. There were some out in a lot along I-10 near Ina, but outside of that one had to go around many dealers with higher priced specimens to find something interesting at a reachable price, particularly for new, young collectors.
For that I recommend Chris Lehman, Collectors Stope, Shannon and Dave Bunk's wholesale booth in Mineral City. There are other things sprinkled about, but only to be found with much looking.
While I appreciate the wondrous, spectacularly beautiful pieces that would make any museum proud, they are not of much interest to me. From crystallographic standpoint 'lesser' pieces are much more interesting and reachable for those who have their interest pricked. Aesthetics cannot carry this hobby without leaving many behind. And the inflation of prices is a serious drawback for expanding the hobby.
As a docent in the main show, I encountered many people interested in the scientific side of minerals. Building that component is vital for our future. The 140 show case displays are as important to the show's future as the flash dealer specimens with the many zero's on their price tags.
It's too bad they don't get reported in the reports and Tucson highlight videos.
All this is to say the lopsided interest in the spectacular is partly responsible for the decline in interest among those without deep pockets.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2023 10:08    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

Bob Morgan wrote:
The open spaces at the TGMS main show were due to the absence of the big name dealers and their large, luxurious stalls.

These big name dealers were missing last year and resulted in large open spaces in the center of the TCC - just like this year. This year though there were many open areas outside of this center spot due to:
1 - the jewelry dealers in place there last year are now in the upstairs annex
and
2 - more mineral dealers went missing - such as mainstays like Dave Bunk, Dan Weinrich, Horst Burkhard, Collector's Stope, Graeber/Himes, Rockaholics and Miner's Lunchbox just to name a few. Will these dealers as well as the bigger name dealers return next year? I personally don't think so and further increases in the price per booth could add to this dealer MIA list.

As I mentioned previously, I think The TGMS has to do some soul searching about the future given the challenges presented by the internet and the new business models of mineral dealers. The TGMS Gem and Mineral Show could well become the TGMS Gem and Jewelry Show.

Thanks for the comments,
bob

Don Lum

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2023 11:52    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

Bob,

Thank you for another excellent report and fine pictures. I enjoyed your commentary.

Regards,

Don

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2023 15:47    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

As usual, enjoyed the reports of what was to be seen as I couldn't attend myself.. .thanks!

On the end subject, as has come up in the past years, about missing dealers and lower sales....
...many being vocal in this forum are "blaming" it on online sales versus the high cost of attending.
While I can't really comment on the cost of participating, as I don't know how high it is, I do suspect it certainly is an issue.
Other frequently named cause is the combination of online sales and just the complexity of bringing material. (and in part a lack of interest by younger generations and rising prices)

I've only attended Tucson once, in 2018... so pre-pandemic... and found it to be an incredible experience, that I could not be matched by visiting any museum or anything
....and obviously the pandemic had serious effects, and ones I hoped would go away now that we are in more relaxed times.

That said... even if I can understand that it's easier to offer minerals online than bringing stock to a show, I can't really understand a serious collector buying online... nothing matches seeing things in real life.

...another thing... even pre-pandemic, there was talk about how prices were going up.. and I also heard good insights about better quality being offered... and that is where for me the Tucson event was great... I saw that even though there were very high end dealers that had more zeros on their offerings than I could afford ever, there were so many other venues, in addition to the main show, that I could spend on making my collection better without bankrupting myself and still get very good pieces, though not the absolute top end.

If the main show is now seemingly in trouble in filling the venue... rather than leaving open spots, and even raising price per booth to make sure ends meet... let's face the obvious... inflation... and I'm not referring to within the mineral sales... and so... instead a better way to make sure the main halls are full is to actually lower participation costs... making participation a selective thing, perhaps prioritized by previous participation, and then letting a "committee" of the association select the rest... as we are hopefully seeing more crowds coming to shows, at least compared to the difficult time in pandemic, a very slight increase in admission cost for adults at least, would offset very fast the need to overcharge participants offering their wares... especially if they don't feel the need to increase prices or have enormous sales to justify being there.
I forget how much I paid to enter in 2018... but I know I would have been fine with paying as much as $20...(my web-search says it was 13 minus 3 with coupon this year?)
....some "program" to make hotels offer a "ticket included" in their costs during the show...as it could easily be done at no extra discount to the show, as the hotels are already so much higher during this period... etc...

Even though I'm 46 years old... it still seems I am in the younger group of collectors... though not properly so. Younger people I know that collect seem to focus on field collecting as it involves a "holiday" and the excitement of finding your own even if it's lower quality that the shows offer. As people get "older" they often have more disposable income they can spend on collecting... I wouldn't say that there are fewer people collecting now... it's just that their purchases are smaller and often focused on the side areas.
Their purchases might not present a solution to the main show, but getting them to attend is a great benefit and would help keep the amazing event running... as for me, the main show was just a show... not a venue to buy pretty much anything... thus I was prepared to pay more ..just as I would at a museum, where I know I won't buy acquiring anything, just the experience of the amazing pieces.

There are even more ways of making sure the main show keeps going, not to ask for an upfront participation payment, but a small percentage of sales... which would be a bit riskier, but could if managed properly in conjunction with slightly higher entry fee for people could make sure it continues to be viable for both the public and the vendors.
Yet one more way of boosting the show, would be for the prizes for the best minerals being exhibited in the show (not the sales booths) is to have monetary prizes, based on a fund obtained by how many attend, giving the extra possibility of a "public vote" for some too... that each attendee could vote on, and knowing that part of their entry fee would go towards.

Those are my thoughts... surely some if not all have already been considered... but given what I have just read, the main thing is to actually go against raising participation cost for vendors and in fact lower them... which is one I haven't seen as a suggestion so far.

Whatever direction is taken... I sure hope the show, and all the major shows continue and just keep growing.... and I feel certain that the mineral collecting world is a growing interest, even if there seems to be a bit of disconnect between generations :-)

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2023 16:16    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

P.S. as I forgot my point on inflation... in this case not in general (as possibly being a good reason to ask for higher entry fee) but rather the mineral specimens.

Yes, the best specimens are often of higher quality, or have attached to them a tag of being from a source no longer available, as well as a more difficult subject, provenance... ie.. being from a "famous" collector or collection adding value.
There are absolutely some old pieces that cannot be gotten anymore as the location is not producing anymore and that can affect desirability.
(sadly, there are also more and more vendors attributing "metaphysical" tags claiming even "healing" to their pieces saying this should increase value, but let's avoid that)

Apart from 3rd world especially, wanting higher prices because they see high prices on the internet...and in looking for a more "just" world where specimens from almost anywhere are expected to get higher prices.... and the fact there are several mining ventures in the "first world" exclusively for specimens, that do have very high extraction costs associated with them "justified" by labor costs and materials needed for extraction...as well as the obvious, the mine is not making money from a proper "resource" but rather just the specimens.

So..... I've seen threads, referring to *so and so* mineral/specimen cost *so and so* in this and that year... now look at the price....

I've used online tools to simply check for overall inflation... and on a world scene... yes.. perhaps not the most reliable, but as we don't really have any other more reliable currency... let's use the USD....
...very often, prices that a collector of some age, will refer to something they got in 60s-80s.... and then compare to a piece they saw in a recent show for x amount more
...but after applying the inflation calculations... in my experience, the price is more often than not actually quite close... yes... there will often have been a slight increase even after adjusting for inflation... but... as I mentioned before... specimens are more often than not of higher quality as well... and even from operations focusing solely on specimen extraction nowadays, where as they were a side-product of resource mining before.
Both are big factors... and in fact... if both are taken into account... many pieces are more affordable today than they were before. (unless one is to take into account how the super-rich have abused the fact that most households now NEED both the man and woman to contribute to making ends meet... which is the real culprit in much of modern inflation... beyond actual price increases... but rather them utilizing the "inflation" as a tool, to get more "productivity" from us in the public to get more, without us even suspecting it, as the salary of each one has numerically gone up... but that is a more socio-political thing than can be focused on in terms of just collecting minerals and may not belong as a discussion on this forum)

minsur

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2023 17:50    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

I absolutely disagree that mineral prices went up in line with inflation. Apart from the lowest quality stuff (which in many cases has even become cheaper), this is by far not the case.

Due to better education/training of the miners and modern extraction methods/tools, the overall quality of specimens has improved considerably compared to 30 or 40 years ago, so far so good.

I strongly recommend reading "An Essay on Mineral Prices" by Phil Perrson, an American junior dealer, particularly what he writes about the "dragging up" phenomena,.. - absolutely striking and apropriate!

As a serious old time/old style collector without VERY deep pockets, why the heck should one want to go to a mineral show these days - just to find oneself "priced out" by a group of zeros on the price tag of nearly every truly modest, not to say crappy quality specimen? The prohibitive and ever exploding plain cost of attending (transportation/hotel/food) a mineral show like Munich, not to mention Tucson, does not help either.
Things are as they are, complaints a mere waste of time.

When "we" old collectors started decades ago, certainly not everything was better, but there were at least no "modern natural art" dealers around yet - and no labs either;-)

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2023 14:34    Post subject: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin - Echoes  

Even without being there, some echoes have reached me from the 'deep Tucson'

John and Joan.jpg
 Description:
The Master John White kindly sent me this photo of him and Joan Massagué having lunch in the patio of the new Tucson Fine Minerals Gallery.
John was enjoying the midday break and Joan was about to leave to continue his hunt at Mineral City. There’s nothing better than mineral shows, both of them say!
 Viewed:  7790 Time(s)

John and Joan.jpg

Acanthite from Himmelsfürst Mine Freiberg Germany (1).jpg
 Mineral: Acanthite
 Locality:
Himmelsfürst Mine, Brand-Erbisdorf, Freiberg District, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 4.8 cm
 Description:
And talking about hunting...

The sister of a famous specimen in the Freiberg Bergakademie.
Now in the Joan Massagué collection.
 Viewed:  7793 Time(s)

Acanthite from Himmelsfürst Mine Freiberg Germany (1).jpg

Acanthite from Himmelsfürst Mine Freiberg Germany (2).jpg
 Mineral: Acanthite
 Locality:
Himmelsfürst Mine, Brand-Erbisdorf, Freiberg District, Erzgebirgskreis, Saxony/Sachsen, Germany
 Dimensions: 4.8 cm
 Description:
Another view of the same specimen
 Viewed:  7791 Time(s)

Acanthite from Himmelsfürst Mine Freiberg Germany (2).jpg

Beryl variety morganite from Dara-I-Pech District Afghanistan.jpg
 Mineral: Beryl (variety morganite) on Albite (variety cleavelandite) with Quartz and Tourmaline
 Locality:
Dara-I-Pech District (Pech District), Kunar Province (Konar), Afghanistan
 Dimensions: 14 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  7803 Time(s)

Beryl variety morganite from Dara-I-Pech District Afghanistan.jpg

Stephanite from Himmelsfürst Mine Freiberg Germany.jpg
 Mineral: Stephanite
 Locality:
 Dimensions: 3,5 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  7810 Time(s)

Stephanite from Himmelsfürst Mine Freiberg Germany.jpg

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 10:32    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson wrote:
[...]That said... even if I can understand that it's easier to offer minerals online than bringing stock to a show, I can't really understand a serious collector buying online... nothing matches seeing things in real life[...]
Sorry Bergur, I have to disagree here: You're for sure right, seeing things in person can't be matched. But: A good dealer today offers good photo (and often video) material, he provides more photos or videos on demand - and he will give you the chance to return the specimen within the first weeks if you don't like it or if it is not like you expected.

I myself could add many of my best specimens during the last 2 or 3 years when the pandemic deleted most of the shows and personal interaction between mineral friends. Many of my best pieces were purchased online from 2020 until now via the internet. When you have good and reliable dealers* - like our Jordi - buying minerals online can be a good thing. Maybe not for everyone, but in my personal experience it is without a doubt. And I consider myself as one of the "serious" collectors you mention ;-)

(*and when you are - like me - too busy to travel often and to introverted to talk to so many people at once in a crowded place ;-))

Best regards
Tobi

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 15:50    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

I just wanted to second the 'motion' that members [or non-members] should find and read "An Essay on Mineral Prices" by Phil Perrson. Just put it into a search engine and it is easy to find- and I think well worth reading. I do not believe mineral prices have 'followed inflation' and I bemoan daily those collectors [and their specialist dealers/buyers] who know little and care little about the science around minerals, but like using them primarily as ways of 'investment' and 'bragging rights'. I was at a show this past weekend, and happened upon one of the top persons in the mineralogy section of the National Museum here. He said he was unable to find many new minerals for the museum, as the prices were beyond the Museum's budget for new minerals. They have a great old collection from days of 'yore - and they get donations from deceased collectors etc. I don't go to the 'BIG' mineral shows as much as I used to for several reasons, but one is that in the past although there were out-of-range top specimens, now most prices are out-of-range for me [with my now more advanced appreciation for minerals/unusual habits/new or classic locations/ etc. I'm 70-something and I guess on minerals and many other things [except computers and the internet] long for the days gone by/buy/bye......

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 16:06    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

Peter, there are still plenty of venues in Tucson to find great minerals for inexpensive prices. The problem is that humans are quite similar to moths... drawn to the brightest lights. And the most famous names in the business. And the fanciest show cases. (When a single display case costs $10,000, who pays for that?) As the late Rock Currier said, "The prices of the specimens are directly proportional to the wattage of lights in the cases." Then the moth-like collectors come home and say there was nothing affordable anymore at the show.

To get good prices, you might need to poke around in the less famous, and more dimly lit venues, perhaps even bring your own flashlight (no, I'm not joking!), or you might need to buy minerals that still need a bit of work but after a little cleaning and trimming at home they turn into great specimens.

Michael Shaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 16:25    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

alfredo wrote:

To get good prices, you might need to poke around in the less famous, and more dimly lit venues, perhaps even bring your own flashlight (no, I'm not joking!), or you might need to buy minerals that still need a bit of work but after a little cleaning and trimming at home they turn into great specimens.

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 21:36    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

Michael Shaw wrote:
alfredo wrote:

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more.

Yes indeed, Alfredo is right on the money - to quote Smokey Robinson: "Shop Around". or actually - "walk around".

Focus on the international "Source Dealers" - avoid retailers. These international dealers have not been as prevalent as in years past but there're still around.

Although I don't like to give away secret spots, that huge tent just north of Top Gem produced for me some REAL trophies at excellent prices. They were all from international "Source Dealers" not retailers - and - you had to ask for prices, and at least ask "can you do any better on that price", negotiate more and maybe have to walk away - but come back with a smile and you may get what you want for what you want to pay.

Check out Min City Buildings B, E, F and G and the Riverpark Inn and the Top Gem annex and the Moroccan tent city at the JGM Show and the old Days Inn near Carl's Junior.

One other key strategy that has worked - buy late in the show - especially in Tucson while the TGMS Main Show is on and especially for larger specimens - no dealer wants to wrap up, transport and store something that he/she can move - even if it's at a small loss. However, this strategy is more appropriate to retail dealers - going to many of the "source dealers" late in the show may be disappointing - as i said in my reports, one south african dealer was sold out a week before the show even opened.

That's enough - if you're complaining about the high cost of specimens, just shop around and develop some relationships.

bob

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2023 01:26    Post subject: Re: Tucson Shows 2023 - let the fun begin  

So much of this is about relationships and working with dealers close to the source. All my best lower cost material came from working with them and knowing them.

I guess in this LED world it is not so much Wattage as Lumens that matter - avoid the bright lights (unless you really want that single specimen of an old find)

Index -> News about Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 4 of 4
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  

Jump to: