We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 15:34

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean

Index -> MIM Museum (Beirut, Lebanon)

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carles

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2023 16:27    Post subject: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean

In December 2022 I managed to turn into reality something that had been a dream for me, up until then. I visited Lebanon, in particular the capital Beirut and even more specifically the mim Museum. If that wasn't enough, I had the opportunity to know the creator and alma mater of that museum Mr. Salim Eddé. I also met the people closest to him in the management of the museum -Suzie y Carole-. And if that wasn't enough on its own, I made the trip accompanied through his generosity and kindness by Jordi Fabre. And as the final touch to that group of amazing people we were also united, once there, with Bryan Swoboda the creator of BlueCap Productions who is well known in the mineralogical world for his visual report reports on the main mineral shows and for his 'What's Hot in...'

It is mainly thanks to the kindness and generosity of Bryan that we can offer as a first this interview / informal talk that we had with Jordi Fabre and Salim Eddé in the mim Museum talking in French with English subtitles. It is a little bit more than 15 minutes long, but it is wonderful to hear and learn from two such important figures in mineralogy. The work of editing and producing it done by Brian is excellent!

What can I tell you about my personal experience during the days I spent there? It's not easy to describe it with words the mim Museum, it is simply extraordinary both for the quality of the specimens on show, simply the best known, as well as the distribution of the museum itself which is thought through with incredible detail and with nothing left to chance, incredibly interactive (an attribute which probably reflects the personality of Salim). If mineral nirvana exists, I can tell you that the closest to that you will ever get is the mim.

I hope you enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed being there in real life, and you can take away from it the precision and intensity. Oh, for sure, we are working on a long article that will be published first here on FMF, before it is available though other media, and in which I will be able to explain many more things about what the mim means and its minerals, and in it there will be many images which will give you a good idea of what you can see, live, and experience there!

While you can enjoy multiple images of the minerals exhibited in the museum with extensive information on each of them in The mim Museum in Beirut, Lebanon and which is periodically updated.

Thanks to James Catmur for the translation

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Romain M

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2023 03:01    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

Extraordinaire présentation ! un grand MERCI pour cette mise en avant d'un musée que j'espère vraiment visiter un jour (cerise sur le gâteau, en français !)

I knew the name of the founder of this jewel of museum, but I never saw a in depth interview of the museum. I really wish this will further trigger mineral pilgrims to come there :) More visitors, more revenue, more minerals :)

A museum turned towards aesthetics.... The dream! I do not know if this feature is existing today through the QR code, but it would great to access explanations on the specimen itself and what makes it remarkable (as Salim explained it for the Azurite)

Romain

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2023 07:52    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

It was a pleasure to translate the introduction and review the English subtitles. I was in Beirut long before the museum opened (1997 or 1998) and would love to find an excuse to go back and see the MIM.

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2023 11:40    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

WOW! That collection and that museum are just fantastic. I always love Salim's explanation of the extraordinary beauty and amazing quality of billions of atoms and molecules lining up to form crystals and then doing various things to show color or transparency etc. I happen to know French, so was able to watch without the subtitles. Too bad it was not a full hour or more......but it was a great 'teaser' to get people to go to Beirut and see this amazing museum......one of the best private collections and museums in the World! That it was done in so few years is also amazing. Just top of the line minerals, displayed in a top of the line manner and explained by a top of the line collector extraordinaire! When I see this collection, it makes my heart and mind soar, but also makes my own collection look very pale by comparison....... What an achievement that collection is - and by one of the nicest persons I have gotten to know in the mineral world [and most are very nice indeed]. Bravo Eddé!! Bravo Jordi!

Firmo Espinar

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2023 17:41    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

Great report about an amazing museum.

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2023 18:51    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

If you would like to see more go to:

It's an hour and a half interview and tour of the MIM. You will want to go there even more.

Carles

PostPosted: Feb 19, 2023 14:16    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

Here we present the article about the mim Museum, as announced here. Let's remember that there is a link to Youtube where we can see Jordi Fabre's interview with Salim Eddé edited, in addition, in HD without forgetting the fantastic thread with multiple photographs of the minerals exhibited in the museum with extensive information on each one of them in the extraordinary The MIM Museum in Beirut, Lebanon and that's periodically updated.

It's a small miracle that with the hard socio-economic conditions that Lebanon is currently experiencing although the number of visitors to the museum are among the best ever recorded. Bravo for Salim and his team👏🏻👏🏻

This type of 'magazine’ display that we often use in this section does not allow photos to be enlarged by clicking the mouse on them. The solution to enlarge the screen is to use the keys: Ctrl + mouse wheel. By turning the wheel and holding the Ctrl (Control) key we can enlarge the image at will.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 10:37    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

An outstanding report! Thanks to everyone (Jordi, Bryan, Carles and of course Salim himself) who made it possible to bring at least a digital glimpse of the world's best mineral collection to those who can't easily travel to Beirut.

Simply amazing!

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 12:05    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

So difficult to choose only one "favorite" specimen, when all of them are spectacular, but if I were forced to choose, I'd choose the Franklin zincite. Thank you Carles for this wonderful trip report! And special thanks to Salim Eddé for allowing the public to see his collection, so well displayed. Unlike some other collectors we all know, his collection is not a "black hole" and it therefore has value for all humanity rather than just one person.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 12:14    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

Brillaint article. Thank you so much

One VERY minor comment - 'argent' should read 'silver' (p29)

Corrected

Carles

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 12:56    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

alfredo wrote:
So difficult to choose only one "favorite" specimen, when all of them are spectacular, but if I were forced to choose, I'd choose the Franklin zincite. Thank you Carles for this wonderful trip report! And special thanks to Salim Eddé for allowing the public to see his collection, so well displayed. Unlike some other collectors we all know, his collection is not a "black hole" and it therefore has value for all humanity rather than just one person.

Tobi, Alfredo & James, thanks for your kind comments.

Alfredo, very much agree with your thought. It's an act, to say the least, of great generosity. And since you have chosen the one that for you is the best piece, the Geocronite has my broken heart.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 13:14    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

Zunyite for me!

Bob Morgan

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 15:09    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

My soft spot is for the Frondel-Richard Gaines quartz twin which I've been told is there but not on display.
Bob Morgan

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 15:31    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

My favorite is this (page 28).

Beryl.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  6373 Time(s)

Beryl.jpg

bob kerr

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2023 15:45    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

Since we're selecting our favorite and dreaming - I think that Panasqueira Apatite and Siderite on Quartz is a real masterpiece. 20 cm tall!!!!!!!

bob

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2023 03:20    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

bob kerr wrote:
Since we're selecting our favorite and dreaming - i think that Panasqueira Apatite and Siderite on Quartz is a real masterpiece. 20 cm tall!!!!!!!
Which of the specimens is NO real masterpiece?! ;-)

alfredo wrote:
[...]but if I were forced to choose, I'd choose the Franklin zincite.
Alfredo, when the people who force you are coming - could you please tell them to contact me? ;-)

Jokes aside: If I had to choose, maybe I'd go with Carles (Millan) and take the 40 x 30 x 25 cm (!) piece of aqua, topaz etc. with that 30-40 cm aqua crystal (p. 28) ...
But I also agree with Carles (Manresa) who wrote "however, If I could choose, I would choose the whole museum!" (also p. 28)

BlueCapProductions

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2023 17:33    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

Carles and Jordi,

SUPERB article!!!! Congratulations on the skillful articulation of your experience. It truly was a mind-blowing trip. Your wonderfully illustrated article only shows a FRACTION of the specimens on exhibit. There are so many treasures there that it's a difficult task to choose one as a favorite. I join you in urging ANYONE wanting to visit to just do it!!

If I may do so, allow me to add to the reasons to visit Lebanon. Lebanon is perhaps THE number one spot in the entire world where fossilized remains of animals exist from about 100 million years ago - just prior to the formation of the Chicxulub crater in the Yucatan that was a result of the huge meteorite crashing into our planet causing the mass extinction of over 3/4 of all life on Earth. This is the reason that Salim has expanded the mim Museum to include fossils that are ALL from Lebanon. The main fossil dig for these pieces are about 20 minutes outside of the town of Byblos north of Beirut (the Bible got its name from this town).

In addition to this, Lebanon has an EXTENSIVE past history of Roman, Byzantine and Crusader-era ruins. These ruins can be seen in Sidon (just south of Beirut) and in the city of Tyre where there exists the second largest Roman hippodrome known to exist.

So for ANY ancient history fans out there, who also love minerals, a trip to Lebanon is not a trip you'll soon forget.

I look forward to seeing you again soon!!!

All the best,

-Bryan

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2023 22:15    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

Lebanon is a beautiful and friendly country and I really enjoyed my time there (unfortunately long before mim museum was established, so now I have a reason to go back again).

To add to what Brian said about Lebanese fossils, the amber from there is not well known outside the country but it has amazing numbers of creepy crawly and buzzy things fossilized in it! Not my field, as you can tell, but they are impressive. The amber localities are in sandstones in the far South.

Oh, and the food in Lebanon is great too, both for carnivores and vegetarians.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2023 04:58    Post subject: Re: What does the mim Museum and it minerals mean  

Like me, you were there before the museum. I went for a wonderful week of work and tourism. I always remember the food and kindness of the people. I loved it. Must go back to see the MIM (and eat the food - the best baklava I have ever had)

alfredo wrote:
Lebanon is a beautiful and friendly country and I really enjoyed my time there (unfortunately long before mim museum was established, so now I have a reason to go back again).

To add to what Brian said about Lebanese fossils, the amber from there is not well known outside the country but it has amazing numbers of creepy crawly and buzzy things fossilized in it! Not my field, as you can tell, but they are impressive. The amber localities are in sandstones in the far South.

Oh, and the food in Lebanon is great too, both for carnivores and vegetarians.

Index -> MIM Museum (Beirut, Lebanon)   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: