We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 03:00

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collection of Philippe Durand
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
  Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Philippe Durand

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2023 03:29    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

Hematite again :)

E240 D.JPG
 Mineral: Hematite
 Locality:
Ambatofinandrahana District, Amoron'i Mania Region, Madagascar
 Dimensions: 50mm x 40mm x 30mm
 Description:
As usual my photos are bad, so it is far better in real life
 Viewed:  7961 Time(s)

E240 D.JPG

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2023 05:48    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

Philippe Durand wrote:
Hematite
Ambatofinandrahana District, Amoron'i Mania Region, Fianarantsoa Province, Madagascar

A nice piece, Philippe!

Just a small side note: Madagascar changed its administrational structure some years ago, there are no provinces anymore, they were re-structured to regions.
So in order to be politically accurate, please chance your locality information to "Ambositra District, Amoron'i Mania Region, Madagascar" which is the locality for the hematite roses from that area.

Thanks & best regards
Tobi
Reply to topic Reply with quote

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2023 05:55    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

Tobi

I guess the FMF database of localities needs to be updated, as that is what he has used? We often have to do that as countries change their regions

Tobi wrote:

Just a small side note: Madagascar changed its administrational structure some years ago, there are no provinces anymore, they were re-structured to regions.
So in order to be politically accurate, please chance your locality information to "Ambositra District, Amoron'i Mania Region, Madagascar" which is the locality for the hematite roses from that area.

Thanks & best regards
Tobi

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2023 06:55    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

James Catmur wrote:
I guess the FMF database of localities needs to be updated, as that is what he has used? We often have to do that as countries change their regions
Tobi wrote:
"Ambositra District, Amoron'i Mania Region, Madagascar" exists already in our database and can be used ;-)

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2023 12:21    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

I see that it is done :)
thank you

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2023 10:41    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

scepter :)

E241.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz (variety smoky)
 Locality:
Chibuku Mine, Zambezi Valley, Mashonaland West, Zimbabwe
 Dimensions: 80mm x 35mm x 42mm
 Description:
the top and bottom points are amethystine, but can't see it in the photo
 Viewed:  7732 Time(s)

E241.JPG

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2023 12:52    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

Colombia :)

E242.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz
 Locality:
Cabiche, Quípama, Boyacá Department, Colombia
 Dimensions: 70mm x 70mm x 25mm
 Description:
the Halloysite is more yellowish than the orange of the photo
 Viewed:  7599 Time(s)

E242.JPG

Dany Mabillard

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2023 01:44    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

Beautiful new specimens in your collection. Très belle journée.

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2023 01:59    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

I love the sceptre from Zimbabwe, a magnificent quartz!

minsur

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2023 14:27    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

These inclusions are not Halloysite or any other mineral. Unfortunately just plain included clay, altered by acid cleaning and/or deliberate treatment.

Volkmar Stingl

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2023 23:15    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

minsur wrote:
These inclusions are not Halloysite or any other mineral. Unfortunately just plain included clay, altered by acid cleaning and/or deliberate treatment.

"Plain clay" also consists of minerals (mainly clay minerals). How can these be altered by any treatment, when they are included in quartz?

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2023 02:15    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

Thanks Dany and Tobi :)

as for Halloysite , I have already read something about that controversy

Hello Minsur, but, as Volkmar said,if the inclusions had been acid treated, that means that the quartz must be cracked enough.
with capilarity I doubt that without high pressure any liquid could go inside nano cracks from outside

but it must be proved that the quartz is cracked : I see no evidence on my specimen

do not forget as I mentioned that the right color is not this orange , but more yellow

By the way halloysite is a mineral , and yes it is a common clay and has yellowish color
And I am not sure that it can be acid modifiied, as it is commonly used in the catalyst industry as nano filter some times in acidic (refining) conditions . that means it should be very stable.

And if i read well it is a natural product of decomposition of rocks by acid waters, wirch
means it is stable too.

But as cheaters have no limits may be you are right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloysite

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2023 14:23    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

Hello,
About Halloysite.
Natural halloysite nanotubes are nanomaterials formed by the surface weathering of aluminosilicates composed of aluminium, silicon and oxygen. Unlike carbon nanotubes, halloysite clay nanotubes are inexpensive, available in quantity, environmentally friendly and easy to process. As a reminder, these are ultra-thin hollow tubes with diameters less than 100 nanometers (100 billionths of a meter) and lengths ranging from 500 nanometers to more than 1.2 microns (millionths of a meter). Halloysite is a high value clay. It is typically used in the manufacture of fine porcelain and for high-tech ceramic applications. Halloysite clay nanotubes are part of the kaolin clay family and are used in many industrial applications, particularly in the field of paints, cosmetics and pharmaceuticals. (Jean Detaille, AGAB-Minibul 2023- Vol.56(2) p.29-41.

I was surprised by the remarkable properties of halloysite, a Belgian mineral, dedicated to a great Walloon scientist. He described the geology of Northern France, and of course of Wallonia. His statue sits on a square in Namur: Jean-Baptiste Julien d'Omalius d'Alloy (born in Liege in 1783).
He discovered mineralogy at the right school, among Haüy in Paris.
Superintendent of the Circle of Dinant at the fall of the Empire, and after having been Governor of the Province of Namur (1815-1830), he ended his life as a senator (1951-1870).

Once again, these minerals which have OH groups, with moreover a texture (or structure?) in nanotubes, make relatively compatible phases which are not.
I think that with such structures, halloysite is resistant to the usual acids.
Here is the introduction to a very interesting article by J. Huang et alii.

Nanosized Tubular Clay Minerals
J. Huang, ... B.C. Guo, in Developments in Clay Science, 2016
21.1 Introduction
Halloysite has sparked considerable interest in the fabrication of halloysite polymer nanocomposites due to its unique characteristics that combine excellent mechanical properties, tubular microstructure, biocompatibility, flame retardancy and a versatile surface chemistry. To date, halloysite has been incorporated into various polymer matrices, including thermoplastics, thermosets and elastomers, to form halloysite polymer nanocomposites. The incorporation of halloysite into polymers gives rise to multiple effects on the pure polymer matrix. The mechanical performance, thermal stability and flame retardancy of clay polymer nanocomposites (CPN) can be improved compared to those of pure polymers. Moreover, halloysite can fine-tune the crystallization of the resulting CPN. For ease of processing, because halloysite is available in large quantities and can be dispersed in water and many organic solvents, halloysite polymer nanocomposites can be produced by various approaches, such as solution mixing, melt blending, in situ polymerization and spinning. The dispersion of halloysite in CPN is primarily determined by the surface characteristics and processing approaches. Generally, solution mixing and in situ polymerization can result in a CPN with uniform dispersion, whereas spinning leads to an orientation of the halloysite in the CPN.
To maximize the potential of halloysite in CPN, two factors (namely, the dispersion of the halloysite and the interfacial interactions between the halloysite and polymer matrices) play vital roles in determining the final performance of the CPN. Overall, halloysite is hydrophilic, but it is more hydrophobic than nanosilica and other layered silicates because of its lower density of surface hydroxyl groups at the outer surface, so the tube–tube interaction of halloysite is relatively weak. Therefore, it is expected that halloysite can be readily dispersed in many polymers even without modification. Halloysite can interact with polar polymers such as polyvinyl alcohol (PVA), chitosan and carboxylated rubbers via hydrogen bonding to strengthen the interfacial adhesion. However, halloysite interacts poorly with nonpolar polymers such as the polyolefins. To address this issue, various strategies such as physically wrapping halloysite with surfactants or polar macromolecules as compatibilizers, covalently grafting halloysite with coupling agents or polymer chains and charge transferring between conjugated molecules with halloysite have been explored as ways to enhance interfacial adhesion.

Cover-1-fev-2023-b.jpg
 Mineral: d'Omalius d'Alloy
 Description:
 Viewed:  7244 Time(s)

Cover-1-fev-2023-b.jpg

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2023 17:10    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

I have several pieces of Colombian quartz that would fall under the inclusion mentioned.

Most have "micro-tubes" along the quartz.
And usually, if they are not just "white" ... they have an opening near the top of the crystal.
When they do... they have that colouring of between an orange and all the way into the white.... depending on how long said pieces were left in acid (usually oxalic) to "clean" off most of the "crud" that they are found in.

I'm not one to say exactly what mineral is left over.... but from my observations... the Colombian quartz often referred to as "mango"... usually is just between those colours... depending on the time left in the "cleaning" process.
It's not "faking".... it's just how they are processed after being found.

I personally think they're overvalued as such... but it's a personal opinion.... looking at what I can get for my money here.

All the samples that I have that have the "desired" colour... have been given to me... as I refuse to overpay.
I've looked at them as well as others to see what is what.
And in every case... where they are of the golden colour, they tend to have "openings" near the tips.
This reinforces my opinion that those are not faked at all... but rather just partially "cleaned"... by the usual process.
Very many... most in fact... of the quartzes found in Colombia... Penas Blancas and more.. are found in a very "rusty" looking matrix or such.

I'm not overly familiar with "halloysite" as a mineral... and that may be my issue.
...overall... I do suggest caution in paying a lot for these samples... as they'e found in areas where there is plenty of quartz, and much has those "micro"tubular "inclusion.

To sum up... Colombia has awesome quartz... and the best from my perspective is the supremely clear pieces... not those with partial incusions, that may or may not be of a orange to yellow or white.... even tho some of those are very nice :-)

two pieces can be seen on my page :
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=5386&start=40

bob kerr

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2023 18:53    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

As some additional support for Bergur's thoughts - one of the main dealers who handles these mango quartzes lost a ton of money by leaving them in oxalic for too long - the acid slowly cleaned out the micro channels leaving a clear quartz with white tips - no color. it was a sad day for his dealership - he learned the hard way and now watches the specimens as they "clean".

As Bergur mentioned: " these are not faked at all... but rather just partially "cleaned.""

caveat emptor
bob

Bergur_E_Sigurdarson

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2023 19:24    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

bob kerr wrote:
As some additional support for Bergur's thoughts - one of the main dealers who handeles these mango quartzes lost a ton of money by leaving them in oxalic for too long - the acid slowly cleaned out the micro channels leaving a clear quartz with white tips - no color. it was a sad day for his dealership - he learned the hard way and now watches the specimens as they "clean".

As Bergur mentioned: " these are not faked at all... but rather just partially "cleaned.""

caveat emptor
bob

I would like to add...
I think that those quartzes are very nice... and some have very unique properties.
Just that the initial "value" attributed to them may have been misappropriated to some possible inclusions that may not have been there.
I watched here in Colombia, as the first ones went to market, bought by a select few, as if they were something very unique and from a very small discovery... knowing myself that they were from an area that had many quartzes to offer... and many of the "same" type.

...local prices went thru the roof... and still are ridiculous to me.

A good "friend" Inocencio... often referred as the "Gringo de Muzo"... had very many examples... even after an "attempt" of some foreign dealers to buy the "entire" discovery.... he also wanted and still wants much more for those than the usual quartz found in the region.

I hope the mineral community can get to terms of liking those pieces as very nice samples... and seeing them as something that isn't found just anywhere... but... not adding an extra zero to their price just because of a supposed incusion that may or may not be the "real" thing :-)

Personally, I've never seen quartz terminating in such a way, with "tubes" that seem to be "whispy"... ie... being not in a straight line, formed with the crystal... so... seeing those no matter their colour, is awesome... getting structures in crystals that aren't following the usual formation is always very interesting, as are those

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2023 00:55    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

thank you all,for your inputs, this is a very interesting subject.

I had it for a very reasonable price (much less than a La Gardette quartz).
if some one ad zero, my wallet can not :)

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2023 07:21    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

:)

E243.JPG
 Mineral: Hematite and Rutile
 Locality:
Cavradi, Curnera Valley, Tujetsch (Tavetsch), Vorderrhein Valley, Grischun (Grisons; Graubünden), Switzerland
 Dimensions: 40mm x 25mm x 5mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  6679 Time(s)

E243.JPG

E243BIS.JPG
 Mineral: Hematite and Rutile
 Locality:
Cavradi, Curnera Valley, Tujetsch (Tavetsch), Vorderrhein Valley, Grischun (Grisons; Graubünden), Switzerland
 Dimensions: 40mm X 25mm x5mm
 Description:
the other face
 Viewed:  6682 Time(s)

E243BIS.JPG

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2023 09:23    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

:)

E244.JPG
 Mineral: Quartz (variety smoky)
 Locality:
Strzegom, Strzegom-Sobótka Massif, Świdnica District, Lower Silesia, Poland
 Dimensions: 70mm x 30mm x 20mm
 Description:
minor chlorite is present on some faces
 Viewed:  5636 Time(s)

E244.JPG

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2023 07:47    Post subject: Re: Collection of Philippe Durand  

inspired by one of the last MR issue :)

E245.JPG
 Mineral: Dioptase
 Locality:
Altyn-Tyube deposit, Altyn-Tyube area, Kirghiz Steppes, Karaganda Region, Kazakhstan
 Dimensions: 75mm X 45mm X 30mm
 Description:
 Viewed:  5297 Time(s)

E245.JPG

Index -> Collection photos and Collector's page   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 16 of 18
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next  

Jump to: