We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 06:56

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Geodes are killing my lawn mower!

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

k4gap

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2007 12:29    Post subject: Geodes are killing my lawn mower!  

I live in an area of the country that is plagued by these darn geodes. They seem to pop up out of the ground from time to time and they are chipping my mower blades. I have cracked open a few and I must say the crystals are beautiful. The reason for my post is I'm very interested in knowing how a geode can just work it's way to the service? I am seriously considering having my lawn area bulldozed and new top soil put in.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Carles Millan
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2007 14:29    Post subject: Re: Geodes are killing my lawn mower!  

What are your geodes made of?

k4gap

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2007 15:26    Post subject:  

I have no idea what type geode I'm dealing with. To be totally honest, I wouldn't know a geode from a petrified ball of dooty. All I know is my brother-in-law sold 2000 lbs of them to a guy in Florida to use for landscaping. The ones on my property average the size of a softball, the ones on my brother-in-laws place range from tennis balls to basket size 2 1/2 to 3 feet in diameter.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2007 16:23    Post subject: Geodes are killing my lawn mower!  

Are you sure the balls you are talking about are really geodes? Do you know what a geode is? If not, you can search Wikipedia.

k4gap

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2007 18:53    Post subject:  

When cracked open the interior is lined with crystals. Mostly white but sometimes there are variations of different colors. A few rock hounds have stopped by to search these very geodes for Millerite. Ever heard of it? You can wiki it...

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2007 15:27    Post subject: Geodes are killing my lawn mower!  

Don't worry! If they're really geodes made out of millerite you must be quite happy. By marketing them you'll be able to purchase a new lawn mower as many times as you need it fixed, and much more. Just look at the mineral dealers websites to notice how much a good millerite is priced. No wonder why rock hounds are stopping by your home!

k4gap

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2007 17:29    Post subject:  

Millerite has been found in a few of them but, not enough to make me get out a hammer. I throw a lot of these blade chippers out over the hill.

jwjphoto

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2007 16:10    Post subject: Re: Geodes are killing my lawn mower!  

hi there,

I`m a rockhound and firefighter near St Louis, Missouri, hoping to be down your way in a few weeks on a geode and fluorite mission and wondered if you could tell me some locations where I could pick up a few geodes. I am collecting for my self as well as helping my nephew and nieces build their collection, would be happy to get some of those pesky geodes out of your way in your area as well if you want. :)

I would like to find a few of the bigger ones and a few of the Kentucky agate filled ones as well if possible, but if I am reading everything right, the agate filled ones are farther east in Kentucky than the quartz filled ones.

appreciate any information you can provide me on locations tho.

James Johnson
St Louis area

St Louis area
jwjphoto@fidnet.com

gwgirl

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2007 13:26    Post subject: Re: Geodes are killing my lawn mower!  

The geodes keep "popping up" due to a process called frost heave. This occurs in regions where the near surface soils undergo repeated freeze-thaw cycles. When the ground freezes, the water in the soil expands (just like ice in the freezer), disturbing the soil, rocks, vegetation or whatever else is in the soil. When the ground thaws, the water melts and the ground contracts. This repeated action actually serves to "push" the geodes to the surface over time. My children learned this lesson well when they had to "pick rocks" from their father's garden area before he planted. They would work so hard to clear the area one year, only to be faced with a new "crop" the next spring. It used to drive them nuts!! This same type of action is what causes those nasty potholes so commonly found in your neck of the woods (I went to college in Kentucky). I'm sorry you find your geodes bothersome, I think they are very cool and can be very special treasures. My children (now grown) give them to me as gifts.

ILIKEROCKS

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2007 20:40    Post subject: Re: Geodes are killing my lawn mower!  

Hi, I was wondering if I could talk you into sending me some geodes...
I will arrange shipping via DHL and even have the package picked up from your home. All you would need to do is throw em' in a box. And print the shipping label.
If you don't feel comfortable giving me your address I will gladly send you my DHL acct. number and you could send the package as 'Bill to Receiver'
Thank you
Sarah

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: