We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 04:17

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The Mineralogical Record

Index -> The Mineralogical Record

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2010 10:31    Post subject: The Mineralogical Record  

The quality of the magazine The Mineralogical Record ( https://www.mineralogicalrecord.com/index.asp ) has always been considered the best among the journals of minerals from around the world. I totally agree with this general opinion and as proof I refer to two facts.
- The first fact it is objective: the recent concession to the Record of the distinction of the most prestigious honor, the 2009 "Gold Ink Award” in the category scientific &technical journals for the printing's quality of the supplement "Private Mineral Collections in Texas" published in Vol. 40, No. 1, January-February 2009
- The second fact it is subjective. In my opinion the scientific quality of the magazine has notably increased in the last editions. I wanted to highlight the exceptional quality of the special issue devoted to Merelani, Tanzania in September-October edition of 2009 and the more recent of January-February 2010 with a prodigious article of the great Thomas P. Moore about the Alpine pink Fluorite of the Alps.

Congratulations to the Record to keep such excellent quality. From my side (and I believe that from most - or all - members of FMF) all the encouragement to keep up the good work they are doing.

By the way, if someone wants to buy old editions of the magazine, he can do it on line through the Record’s web page "Back Issues" -> https://www.mineralogicalrecord.com/detail.asp

The Mineralogical Record September-October 2009.jpg
 Description:
The Merelani's issue. September-October 2009, Vol. 40, No. 5
 Viewed:  63006 Time(s)

The Mineralogical Record September-October 2009.jpg

The Mineralogical Record January-February 2010.jpg
 Description:
The issue of January-February 2010, Vol. 41, No. 1, with the article of the Alpine pink Fluorite
 Viewed:  62869 Time(s)

The Mineralogical Record January-February 2010.jpg

The Mineralogical Record January-February 2009.jpg
 Description:
The January-February 2009, Vol. 40, No. 1 issue, with the special supplement of "Private Mineral Collections in Texas", winner of the "Gold Ink Award”
 Viewed:  62844 Time(s)

The Mineralogical Record January-February 2009.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2010 16:58    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

For its 40th Anniversary, it's great to see the MR get outside recognition...its been a too well kept secret for too long! Recognition within the community has also been good, especially since it is the community that supports it and keeps it on the kind of quality trajectory Jordi mentions. Let's also not forget that both the Mineralogical Record and its editor, Wendell Wilson have received the Carnegie Mineralogical Medal!

Here are some of the earliest covers...I can't remember whether Vol 1 #2 or Vol 2 #2 had the smallest press run and is actually the hardest to get. John???

I can't find a picture of John White back then...but he probably looked about the way he does now...some guys get all the hair

MR1-1.jpg
 Description:
MR vol 1 #1
 Viewed:  62850 Time(s)

MR1-1.jpg

MR1-2.jpg
 Description:
MR vol 1 #2
 Viewed:  62809 Time(s)

MR1-2.jpg

MR2-2.jpg
 Description:
MR vol 2 # 2
 Viewed:  62749 Time(s)

MR2-2.jpg

MR WEW.jpg
 Description:
WEW way back when
 Viewed:  62829 Time(s)

MR WEW.jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 04:28    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

Many copies of vol. 1 #1 were sent out free in order to win subscriptions and that was probably a very bad idea. It made the number of copies in circulation far less than that for subsequent issues. It was reprinted some time later but with the cover in black and white, not full color.

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 06:49    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

Hair indeed. On page 48 of the History of the Tucson Show issue of MR by Bob Jones, please find the evidence.

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 11:28    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

It is and has always been a great magazine. I have the complete set and treasure it as a reference source, or just an enjoyable thing to pick one up and browse through. I started subscribing, not sure if it was during their first year or the second, but I wisely and happily ordered all the existing issues when I did start my subscription.

Pete Modreski

stumpy

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2010 02:50    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

The Min Rec is a good magazine, but I think Rocks & Minerals is better these days and more accessible, not to mention the wonderful ExtraLapis. Min Rec is too pompous and sycophantic towards the millionaire American collectors that have taken over the hobby - it seems obsessed with the whole "culture" of mineral collecting at the expense of mineralogy. The choice of localities to feature is often pretty stupid too - why the hell pick Volodarsk-Volynski when there is already a whole issue of Mineralogical Almanac devoted to it? Surely there are plenty of other interesting Russian localities they could have chosen? So, Min Rec, take your head out of your backside, stop sucking up to the more-money-than-sense Yanks and start thinking about the other 99% of mineral collectors out there.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2010 03:14    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

Already discussed before...- > https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=792

stumpy

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2010 07:57    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

Quite!

Peter

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2010 13:58    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

stumpy wrote:
The choice of localities to feature is often pretty stupid too -
why the hell pick Volodarsk-Volynski
when there is already a whole issue of Mineralogical Almanac devoted to it?
Surely there are plenty of other interesting Russian localities they could have chosen?

To find the answer to a question, turn it around! Why the hell not!
If you read booth articles you might understand :)

Much of the MR article I intended as a compliment to the MA issue, which itself was excellent, only lacking some more collector related information which I tried to put into my Volodarsk article. There was no information at all about specific pegmatites.
It is as to write about San Diego pegmatites without mentioning what came from where. Now, in the old Soviet times each pegmatite only got a number, not a pretty or fancy, easy to remember name as "The Tourmaline Queen Mine, the Stewart Mine, The Pala Chief Mine, The Himalaya Mine etc"! Yes pegmatite number 521 is more boring but what can we do?

Volodarsk is in Ukraine, although it started out as one country a millenium or so ago.
I think it is excellent to subscribe to both the MA and the MR and very few articles are overlapping. I read any number articles on the same deposits. If written by people who have personal experience of the deposit I am sure that you will learn something from each author/article. The author of the MA Volodarsk Issue did as far as I know not visit the underground mines since 1973. but rather did a lot of serious laboratory based research on genesis etc which was superb but perhaps above the average collectors knowledge scope. But if you read only articles with information you already know by heart it does not add very much, does it?

Never stop learning. if you think you know even close to all in any subject, you have just not realized that you know closer to nothing!

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2018 22:34    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

Not rare minerals, but rare Mineralogical Records.

I actually received copies of the pictured covers in the mail! At subsequent shows, they provided me with normal copies. Rare Mineralogical Records so to speak.

Anyone else ever see or receive this periodical with cover mistakes?

BOB

DSC02128.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  45161 Time(s)

DSC02128.JPG

DSC02130.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  45122 Time(s)

DSC02130.JPG

DSC03941.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  45088 Time(s)

DSC03941.JPG

DSC03951.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  45117 Time(s)

DSC03951.JPG

Bob Harman

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2018 22:50    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

As an addendum, this odd coincidental occurrence occurred a number of years ago. As a result, the MR circulation manager has gotten to know me. When he sees me at recent shows, he has given me 2 additional issues with cover mistakes. I now have this small cover mistake collection.

In all the mistake issues, the cover mistake occurs, of course, on both the front and back cover. BOB

GneissWare

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2018 23:06    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

Very cool!

Gail

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2018 23:14    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

Well, as chair of the board of directors I will say I truly love our publication!

Peter Lemkin

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2018 02:25    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

Coins and stamps with such mistakes are worth MANY times more than the normal.....who knows....

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2018 16:23    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

stumpy wrote:
The Min Rec is a good magazine, but I think Rocks & Minerals is better these days and more accessible, not to mention the wonderful ExtraLapis. Min Rec is too pompous and sycophantic towards the millionaire American collectors that have taken over the hobby - it seems obsessed with the whole "culture" of mineral collecting at the expense of mineralogy. The choice of localities to feature is often pretty stupid too - why the hell pick Volodarsk-Volynski when there is already a whole issue of Mineralogical Almanac devoted to it? Surely there are plenty of other interesting Russian localities they could have chosen? So, Min Rec, take your head out of your backside, stop sucking up to the more-money-than-sense Yanks and start thinking about the other 99% of mineral collectors out there.

I agree that Rocks and Minerals is MUCH better than it used to be. The scientific quality of the articles is excellent (though, at times, the editing needs some work).

MR's article choices may reflect what's submitted by the community; I don't know whether they solicit articles. On the whole, I still look forward to each issue, and I'm not one of those more-money-than-sense Yanks you're talking about (I hope ??) The DVD supplements are also interesting--especially those of the Dallas Symposium.

Gail

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2018 16:19    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

Always delightful to hear from people without an identity. People who are so narcissistic as to make assumptions about wealth, origin and demeanor. People who choose a rather silly name such as stumpy to hide behind. Yawn. Wake me when you step up and let us know who you are, until then your voice is minimized by your anonymity.

stumpy wrote:

Philippe Durand

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2018 06:48    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

I don t know Rocks & Minerals magazine; it is surely pretty good.

As a long time reader of the Min Record, I always enjoy it. Yes, it is somewhat elite oriented.
So,where is the problem, it makes me dream.
Keep on going MR;

I am sure that extraordinary (with defects) issues will be collectibles :)

Bob Carnein

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2018 18:55    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

I've been thinking about this thread, and, at the risk of beating a dead horse, I would like to add a couple of things. First, the MR costs (in the US) about $80 per year and goes out to 5000 or so subscribers. That comes to about $400K of income from subscribers. I assume the magazine gets some significant income from those whole-page advertisers, whose full color ads are themselves a virtual museum of things most of us may never see in person. Considering costs of production and mailing, I can't imagine anyone is getting rich on this. It appears to be a "labor of love", and the fact that it has endured as a quality product and at a reasonable price is, to me, amazing. If you don't like the hype, try reading the articles. They're excellent.

Second, wealthy patrons are the reason many worthwhile things in our hobby exist. I go to Mindat.org whenever I need some quick information--it's, to me, the most valuable mineral resource out there. But, how many of us donate to Mindat when they send out their occasional appeals? I believe the answer is in the low hundreds. Once again, think of the expertise involved (I'm sure Jolyon Ralph could make a lot of money using his computer skills for some other end) and the enormous hole that would be left if it shut down. I'm thankful for those individuals and businesses that support worthwhile projects for which most of us can't pay nearly what they're worth.

Third, as I enter the fourth quarter of my mortal century, it dismays me to see a lot of clever but not very smart people railing against the "elites" and "elitists". When I was young, those people were called "experts", and many people, even those without much education, valued their contributions to civil society. In the US, we make fun of "elites" while worshiping some of the worst members of our culture. Granted, some mineral collectors are treasure hunters who don't care much about the science; a few of them might have more money than sense, but who am I to make judgments about that? They support high end dealers who, in turn, help to support things like Mindat and the MR. I say "Thank Goodness" for that.

Chris Rayburn

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2018 08:28    Post subject: Re: The Mineralogical Record  

Very thoughtful input Bob. This thread took a bit of a turn from Bob H's original purpose. I believe you've brought it back around to solid ground. I happen to agree with the points you've made; not all of us will (which is fine), but I thank you for expressing them so reasonably.

Index -> The Mineralogical Record   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: