We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 23, 2024 05:31

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Polarized Apatite fluorescence

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gerhard Niklasch

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 17:24    Post subject: Polarized Apatite fluorescence  

I've had an UV lamp for a while now, and more recently I had added a suitably-sized polarizing filter to my amateur-science arsenal. I had also noticed that some Apatites are slightly dichroic when viewed from their sides through the filter, and of course I had enjoyed the nice bright golden or yellow fluorescence from a number of them.

Last night I finally put two and two together, placed a succession of Apatites under the UV rays, and inspected their responses for (linear) polarization.

It was clear a priori -- since much yellow light is emitted through the basal pinacoids parallel to the c axis, where the electric field is necessarily at right angles to c -- that if any linear polarization is present, it could only be in the direction orthogonal to c. And indeed this is what I observed.

The effect was most pronounced with a dark-green specimen from the Sapo Mine, Minas Gerais (from Luis Menezes stock of course). Here, when the filter was oriented parallel to the c axis, it almost completely extinguished the yellow light emerging laterally through the prism faces.

The effect was weaker but quite definite with a Panasqueira Mine (Portugal) apatite, and quite weak though still detectable with a few specimens from Pakistan. (Those fluoresce exceedingly brightly, but are merely translucent. I suspect a lot of the emitted light is scattered off small internal fractures and inclusions and thus loses its original polarization plane before it leaves the crystal.)

So, if you're also in possession of the ingredients, this is an illuminating (in more than one sense!) exercise for long winter evenings!

Enjoy,
Gerhard
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 20:01    Post subject: Re: Polarized Apatite fluorescence  

Two years ago, Brian Jackson at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh showed me some extremely dichroic apatites they were working on...might be fun to run this past him and have him check those with your technique.

Elise

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2010 11:58    Post subject: Re: Polarized Apatite fluorescence  

Peter Megaw wrote:
Two years ago, Brian Jackson at the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh showed me some extremely dichroic apatites they were working on...might be fun to run this past him and have him check those with your technique.

Hi,
Brian had told me about these apatite crystals at a 2008 conference in London and later sent me a PowerPoint presentation he had made about collecting them (Slyudyanka, Baikel Region, Russia) and his research regarding the underlying cause. Looking at the images in that just now, I don't see reference to fluorescence results. His photographs of the pleochroism are beautiful: the ordinary ray is slightly yellow, almost colorless; the extraordinary ray is deep blue. Completely on the other side of the planet from that locality, a friend found an apatite crystal in the Northwestern Adirondacks (New York) which exhibited a similar colorless/blue eye-visible pleochroism. Very fascinating!
Best wishes,
Elise

Brian Jackson

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2010 06:15    Post subject: Re: Polarized Apatite fluorescence  

Hi. Elise notified these posts to me. My recollection was that the apatite from Slyudyanka showed no fluorescence. I checked this last night (SW-MW-LW UV) and indeed there was no fluorescence.

The effects shown by this apatite are exceptional pleochroism and polarisation by absorption. Being new to this I've tried to add some images but I only know how to do it one slide at a time.

Yes Elise I MUST write this up.

Slide1.JPG
 Description:
rough material
 Viewed:  17631 Time(s)

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG
 Description:
Diagrams showing orientation and colours
 Viewed:  17662 Time(s)

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG
 Description:
Absorption spectrum for ordinary and extraordinary rays
 Viewed:  17648 Time(s)

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG
 Description:
Pleochroism and polarisation by absorption with thickness
 Viewed:  17648 Time(s)

Slide4.JPG

Slide5.JPG
 Description:
Unpolarised light passes from behind the crystal at the back. A second crystal is placed in front and orientated at right angles to the first. The crystal at the back polarises the light by absorption and thus the crystal at the front only allows a single polarised ray through and that is orientated in the direction of the blue ray.
 Viewed:  17631 Time(s)

Slide5.JPG

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Nov 13, 2010 08:32    Post subject: Re: Polarized Apatite fluorescence  

Hi Brian, welcome here. A great pleasure read the scientific contents of your posts!

Jordi

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2010 00:48    Post subject: Re: Polarized Apatite fluorescence  

Brian Laddie...welcome aboard, glad Elise was able to lure you in! For those who don't know Brian and his museum...the National Museum of Scotland, I strongly urge a vist to Edinburgh, and some other excellent kindred museums nearby in Glasgow, especially if you like classic base metal secondaries and classic malt elixirs! His exhibits here at Tucson have never failed to enthrall the cognoscenti.

Yes, not only do you need to write this up, but you need to put in an exhibit here in Tucson on this...perhaps linked/shared with the fluorescence question. Should be a shoe-in for educational award recognition (No, I am not on the judging committee for that!).

Thanks again for the time you spent with us last year!

Gerhard Niklasch

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2010 17:10    Post subject: Re: Polarized Apatite fluorescence  

Many thanks, Brian, for chiming in and presenting your most illuminating slides!

I like those spectrum-to-hue translations, and using two crystals as a mutual polarizer and analyzer is a neat trick. (Of course, come to think of it, before the days of our modern filters, sliced tourmalines were used instead...)

It only took an evening of rummaging to unearth a Slyudyanka specimen from my own collection. This (about 25x40x35mm, with crystals to 30mm) comes with the original orange calcite matrix, so I can't directly replicate the two-crystals trick and am limited to front-lighting. And the apatites aren't as clear and gemmy as yours. The overall effect is therefore more subdued, but still quite obvious.

I get a very weak greenish response under SWUV, which may be due to impurities or inclusions; it isn't polarized as far as I can detect.

We certainly can't expect all fluorescence from optically nonisotropic crystals to be polarized. Just like there are many different kinds of color centers in visible light, some of which are and some of which aren't sensitive to the orientation of the surrounding lattice, there are many different kinds of luminescence mechanisms, and only some of them would involve transitions with a preferred orientation of the electric field. It seems this topic has not yet been widely studied...?

It's certainly fascinating what one can discover, non-destructively, with just a few simple tools!

Cheers, Gerhard

10RUAc001zz.jpg
 Description:
Slyudyanka Apatite on calcite matrix (my id: 10RUAc001) viewed through the polarizing filter (orientations indicated). Field of view 12x20mm. Halogen incandescent light with white-LED fill-in.
 Viewed:  17542 Time(s)

10RUAc001zz.jpg

Elise

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2011 20:33    Post subject: Re: Polarized Apatite fluorescence  

Brian Jackson wrote:
Hi. Elise notified these posts to me. My recollection was that the apatite from Slyudyanka showed no fluorescence. I checked this last night (SW-MW-LW UV) and indeed there was no fluorescence.The effects shown by this apatite are exceptional pleochroism and polarisation by absorption. Being new to this I've tried to add some images but I only know how to do it one slide at a time.Yes Elise I MUST write this up.

At Tucson, I was able to obtain a small pile of broken apatite crystals from the locality Brian wrote about - what fun to recreate his investigations tonight! Below are some photos through the microscope and just sitting on a florescent light (with a dying battery); both with and without a polarizing filter (refer back to his posting above for details).

Best wishes,
Elise

apatitepleo.jpg
 Description:
After Brian Jackson: Apatite, Slyudyanka, Baikal Region, Russia. Top row non-polarized light source; bottom row with polarizing filter (photo: Elise Skalwold).
 Viewed:  16753 Time(s)

apatitepleo.jpg

apatite6468a.jpg
 Description:
After Brian Jackson: Apatite, Slyudyanka, Baikal Region, Russia. Top non-polarized light source; bottom with polarizing filter (photo: Elise Skalwold).
 Viewed:  16746 Time(s)

apatite6468a.jpg

nimfiara

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2011 11:53    Post subject: Re: Polarized Apatite fluorescence  

Wow! Elise, Fantastic example of polarization in the apatite.
I love this last picture.

Thanks!!!

Gerhard Niklasch

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2011 14:26    Post subject: Re: Polarized Apatite (and other minerals!) fluorescence  

Fascinating, isn't it... I love minerals which "do" something (beyond just being interesting to look at) with the help of a simple tool or two, such as a UV light and/or a polarizing filter!

In the meantime, I've encountered two more examples where the fluorescent response to a SWUV light source is to some extent linearly polarized. Pictures to follow once I get round to preparing them.

One is... Benitoite, which changes color quite drastically depending on polarization already in ordinary visible light. Under SWUV, shining roughly along the c axis whilst viewing the crystal through the filter from the side, the blue response from the illuminated faces is brighter in the E||c orientation of the filter. But blue light traversing the crystal to emerge on the rear faces, those not directly hit by UV rays, is brighter in the other orientation. This may be the result of multiple scattering inside the Benitoite; of course any light rays travelling parallel to the c axis can't help having their electric fields at right angles to this axis, and some of this may survive a further scattering towards the viewer.

The latest example I've found is Scheelite, where the effect is less pronounced. I'm not yet sure of the orientation here, because the brightest Scheelites in my possession have very oddly distorted shapes and I'm not yet sure which axis is which in them!

However, the yellow response of Powellite seems to be unpolarized, as far as I can detect.

Enjoy,
Gerhard

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: