We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 12:48

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Calling all Mexico Experts
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Turbo

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2011 13:22    Post subject: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Does anyone know anything about yellow apatite from "Lake Jaco?" There is a cut stone that I'm interested in to go with a rough from Cerro de Mercado, but it's locality in Mexico is not confirmed. The gem is 23 cts., so it is a pretty large size. The question is whether it is likely to be from purported finds in Lake Jaco or from the more well known Cerro de Mercado site. Information affects value, so I'd like to know as much as I can.

Ed Bayley
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2011 14:03    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

I have never heard of apatite from the Sierra Las Cruces (aka Lake Jaco) locality. This is a skarn system with abundant garnets (black, pink, white, yellow, green, red) and vesuvianite with rare scapolite and rarer base metal oxides (it appears to be a HUGE barren skarn). Some of the vesuvianites get close to gemmy so it is possible that someone cut one of them and got a stone that resembles apatite, but I am not aware of any apatite found there...but certainly not in quality to be mistaken for Cerro de Mercado...and even less likely to be 23 carats.

If it's classic Cerro de Mercado "asparagusstone" color, it's 99.99% sure its from there

Virgil Lueth at New Mexico Tech probably knows the locality better than almost anyone else...although Dennis Beals (XTAL) is catching up quickly.

Turbo

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2011 14:17    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

I would say it does have that classic Cerro de Mercado "asparagusstone" color. The dealer had said that the "Lake Jaco area" was producing apatite again (I guess in the past couple of years) and that it had in the past as well. You probably have more knowledge, so he is probably mistaken. I don't know Virgil Lueth personally. Do you think he would mind if I sent him an e-mail?

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2011 15:26    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

I'm sure Virgil would welcome an e-mail. I am not sure how a locality can produce again if it hasn't before...I think your dealer is confused. If not, I want/need one of these for my collection.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2011 15:56    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

I collected for several years at the "Lake Jaco" (Sierra Las Cruces) locality, and there is no apatite present.
Bob

Turbo

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2011 16:29    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

I thank you for all the insight. I was hoping it was a Cerro de Mercado. Have there been recent finds of high-carat gem grade material from Cerro de Mercado?

Pete Modreski
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2011 20:05    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

A fellow from Mexico was selling Cerro Mercado apatite at the "Contin-Tail" rock swap in Colorado this summmer. He had a table full of material, from loose crystals to matrix specimens, a few large "museum size". It gave me the impression that a fair quantity of apatite must be being mined there right now. Here, I'll attach one of the pictures I took of them there.

PICT0054.JPG
 Description:
Cerro del Mercado apatite
 Viewed:  34874 Time(s)

PICT0054.JPG

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 08:54    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Cerro de Mercado was closed during most of the 90s and into the early 2000s. With the spike in iron prices over the last decade it was put back into full production after a modernization of the plant and installation of magnetic separators. These separators allowed them to crush lower grade ores finely and separate the iron minerals from the "trash"...volcanic host rocks, chalcedony and apatite, and make a high-purity, low apatite iron concentrate. Removal of apatite is especially important because phosphorous causes real problems in the smelting/foundry process. Previously, CdM operated with sorting belts where workers hand picked the crystals of apatite and lumps of apatite bearing breccia as they came by. The apaptite crystals went into buckets and you could buy them at the mine office for a pittance. Today many fewer apatites are emerging because the only ones being produced are those the equipment operators find in the pit. The good side of this is that they ones they find tend to be large and flashy...and they collect them before they get too heavily blasted. Since the apatites tend to occur in late vertically persistent breccia bodies that cut the massive iron ores, they learn where the best bodies are and keep an eye on them for specimens.

The picture Pete provided looks like classic breccia material...matrix of magnetite-hematite supporting large apatites that are in turn cemented with late chalcdeony. I have seen a fair amount of this material recently and am not surprised that 20+ carat stones are being cut.

It has been a few years since I was in CdM, but I know it is producing at capacity and the orebody is being depleted. I suspect that we are probably nearing the end of its life and that these apatites will vanish from the market sooner rather than later...good time to get one (or more) of these classics

Turbo

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 12:10    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Very cool. I'm glad I decided to add this apatite to my collection. Here is what Virgil Lueth said:

"I agree with you and Peter that the stone is probably from Cerro de Mercado. Although the geology is correct for the possibility of gem apatite at Hercules (Sierra de Cruces iron deposits), I've never seen any gem apatites from the Lake Jaco (Sierra de Cruces) area."

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 18:54    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Interesting Virgil should mention Hercules. This is a highly productive iron mine in the middle of nowhere...never heard of apatite from there, but it does have martite that looks very much like Cerro de Mercado...except it has good lustre.

What Hercules has, although lamentably little gets out because of its remoteness, is calcites reminiscent of the best from the Cumberland, England iron fields. These range from gemmy water clear (almost impossible to photogragh well) to red-pink crystals filled with hematite dust inclusions. Fishtail or "Bishop's Mitre" twins are common, though small.

Some shots below

Hercules CC 022.jpg
 Description:
Large cabinet piece
 Viewed:  34688 Time(s)

Hercules CC 022.jpg

Hercules CC 011.jpg
 Description:
cabinet...covered with 1 cm Mitre-twins
 Viewed:  34672 Time(s)

Hercules CC 011.jpg

Hercules CC 004.jpg
 Description:
small cabinet. Glassy complex twins
 Viewed:  34683 Time(s)

Hercules CC 004.jpg

Hercules CC 006.jpg
 Description:
cabinet...glassy twinned scalenohedra
 Viewed:  34679 Time(s)

Hercules CC 006.jpg

Hercules CC 016.jpg
 Description:
cabinet. Large crystal is 9 cm long
 Viewed:  34675 Time(s)

Hercules CC 016.jpg

Turbo

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 19:08    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Those calcites are gorgeous. I am beginning to find Mexican mineralogy very interesting.

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 19:35    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

In case you needed a push getting over the edge regarding Mexico...here are some more shots of what Mexico can do...subtle it ain't

azurites.jpg
 Description:
A small suite of azurite on malachite from Milpillas, Sonora. TN to cabinet
 Viewed:  34667 Time(s)

azurites.jpg

case 011.jpg
 Description:
A selection from Ojuela...mimetite is 25 cm across. Piece in lower front right is arsenbrackebuschite...4 mm xals!
 Viewed:  34636 Time(s)

case 011.jpg

case 017.jpg
 Description:
Selection from Chihuahua.,..mostly Lamentos
 Viewed:  34682 Time(s)

case 017.jpg

case 015.jpg
 Description:
Some Naica fluorites. Octahedron is 10 cm on an axis
 Viewed:  34675 Time(s)

case 015.jpg

case 020.jpg
 Description:
San Antonio Mne, Santa Eulalia smithsonites...big blue is 25 cm across
 Viewed:  34674 Time(s)

case 020.jpg

Turbo

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 20:59    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Very tantalizing! I see Mexico as a likely focus for my collection as it develops.

javmex2

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2011 02:56    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Hello. very interesting topic on the minerals in Mexico, thanks to Peter, I'd love to see the best of his collection,

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2011 10:03    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

When you visit Tucson...tienes tu casa!

Turbo

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 20:55    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Size aesthetics is what attracted me to this specimen. 7cm seems unusually large for this locality.

photo.jpg
 Description:
Fluorapatite, Cerro de Mercado Mine, Victoria de Durango, Cerro de los Remedios, Mun. de Durango, Durango, Mexico, 7cm
 Viewed:  34230 Time(s)

photo.jpg

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 21:27    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Turbo...nice big crystal. 7 cm is hefty, uncommon but not rare. What is rare is for them to survive...you see the little guys because they live through the initial blasting, few of the big ones come out in one piece like this. What makes you want to weep is apatites that grew during an early stage...up to 25 cm long...and were altered to a chalky white mess.

Darren

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 21:32    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Well, I have been thinking of making the plunge and concentrating on Mexico for some years now (at least the northern states, with NM and AZ), you might just have pushed me over the edge, Peter! Stunning stuff!

Darren

Peter Megaw
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2011 23:23    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Welcome Aboard!

Turbo

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2011 21:14    Post subject: Re: Calling all Mexico Experts  

Peter Megaw wrote:

...What makes you want to weep is apatites that grew during an early stage...up to 25 cm long...and were altered to a chalky white mess.

25 cm? Wow! That's a shame. This one has a tiny bit of chalkiness on the other side.

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: