We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-18:25:15 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 18:28

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Freeware: Mineral Database
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

zanthal

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 00:58    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

I've been scouting for a good cataloging software (that is free) and most are out-of-date, mainly for scientific pursuits, or cost a bunch, or any combination there of.

Thanks for spending your time to put this together, I will be sure to put it to good use.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Carles Millan
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2010 04:52    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

zanthal wrote:
Thanks for spending your time to put this together, I will be sure to put it to good use.

Thank you for using it. If you ever find any flaw or bug, please, let me know.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2010 11:11    Post subject: Freeware: Mineral Database  

New version 2.2.8 already available

A new grid to manage your contacts database, displaying graphs of several types, specimen auto-numbering, field 'country' auto-filling, up to 5 photos and 6 species in every record, plus other minor new functions. Reached near 7,000 downloads.

More info.

ScrCapt3.jpg
 Description:
Contacts database for you to fill. The data shown are fictitious.
 Viewed:  36812 Time(s)

ScrCapt3.jpg

ScrCapt2.jpg
 Description:
The data shown are fictitious
 Viewed:  36816 Time(s)

ScrCapt2.jpg

ScrCapt1.jpg
 Description:
The data shown are fictitious
 Viewed:  36737 Time(s)

ScrCapt1.jpg

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2010 15:39    Post subject: Freeware: Mineral Database: Reached 10,000 downloads!  

Just today the software downloads have reached the round number of 10,000.

The latest program version is 2.4.8 with a lot of great new features added.

Anyone interested will get all the info by clicking here.

Philip Fox-Rousell
Unregistered user

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 10:05    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

Can anybody out there help? We downloaded the latest version of Carles Millans database but have been unable after hours of trying, to insert any of our own mineral photos into the database.
Please can someone advise how we do this. We are using a PC running Windows 7 Home premium.
Thanks
Michelle and Phil Fox-Rousell

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 10:37    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

Hi!

1. Store all your photos in the same folder. If it is not your case, create a new folder, no matter its name, and put there a copy from each one of your photos.

2. Then open the program, go to the Utilities > Preferences menu item, and fill the 'Images Folder' box by clicking on the attached button.

3. Open the File > Edit menu item of any specimen, click on the button next to 'Image 1' and select the picture associated with the specimen on screen.

4. And now let's go to the Windows 7's nags (Bill Gates is not known for making things easy). You should open Windows as an Administrator, and make sure you follow the recommendations contained in the point #54 in Q&A.

Let me know.

Good luck!

chris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 10:40    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

Hi Philip,

I'm not using Carles program, nor Windows 7 (I'm a linux fan) but there is something you can have a look at by the time Carles answers you. Since Vista, Microsoft unleashed a "right" policy to control applications needing writing rights to prevent potential threats to damage a computer.

Sometimes you need to explicitely allow a program to run with privilege rights to get writing grants. From memory, under vista you have to first select the program icon, then click on the right button and select the option "run as administrator". You should be able to find easliy a similar command under 7. Another guess :unlike previous home version of Widnows, 7 is a 64 BITS operating system not a 32 bits. As a result some applications working properly under a 32 bits Windows version no longer work under a 64 bits. If this is the case here, there might be no other option than to wait until Carles fixes the issue.

Hope it helps

Christophe

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2011 16:19    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

chris wrote:
As a result some applications working properly under a 32 bits Windows version no longer work under a 64 bits. If this is the case here, there might be no other option than to wait until Carles fixes the issue.

Nothing to fix (yet). The program works okay in Windows 7 too. At least in one of my computers where I have Win7 running inside Oracle VM VirtualBox 3.2.6.

Thanks for your help!

kappe

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2012 08:08    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

Hi Carles,

I am using your program for some time now and it is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for the program!

However, I have one suggestion for improving it. Can you make sorting by ID numerical instead of textual. So you will get 1, 2, 3, ...10, etc instead of 1, 10, 100, 2, 3, 4, etc?

Perhaps I am overlooking something and it is already possible. If so, can someone tell me how to do a numerical ID sort. Thanks!

Regards,
Guido

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2012 08:18    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

kappe wrote:
I am using your program for some time now and it is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much for the program!
However, I have one suggestion for improving it. Can you make sorting by ID numerical instead of textual. So you will get 1, 2, 3, ...10, etc instead of 1, 10, 100, 2, 3, 4, etc?
Perhaps I am overlooking something and it is already possible. If so, can someone tell me how to do a numerical ID sort. Thanks!

You'll get a reasonable workaround by reading Questions & Answers #38 here.

If you have any other question don't hesitate to post it here.

alex chaus

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2012 21:34    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database: Reached 10,000 downloads!  

Carles Millan wrote:
Just today the software downloads have reached the round number of 10,000.
The latest program version is 2.4.8 with a lot of great new features added.

Hi, Carles,
Thank you for great tool created. Even i'm living "at the end of the Universe", I still interesting in things going around in the world.
Alex Chaus, Kyrgyzstan, FSU

jaysminerals

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2012 12:20    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

Hello Carles

Due to a virus I had to set up my computer completely new. So I first made an backup to an external drive and then set up the computer new. After that I followed instruction #12 on your website:

12. How to proceed if I ever need to restore the backup copy?

Close the program and copy all the files from the folder where the backup is to the folder where the program is installed, allowing to overwrite all. You can learn which the backup folder is by opening the Utilities | Preferences menu item. Your files will be found inside a folder with a name equal to the day of the month inside another folder named Minerals.bak that must be inside it.

So I installed the newest version and then copied the files from the backup into the
folder you said in the instruction. But it did not work. The minerals and the index do not show up?!

Do you have an solution?
Thanks
Juergen

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2012 15:04    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

jaysminerals wrote:
So I installed the newest version and then copied the files from the backup into the folder you said in the instruction. But it did not work. The minerals and the index do not show up?!

Either you copied the files to the wrong folder or your backup copy contains no data at all. Or (less likely) your data got corrupted.

I suggest you try with a reindex from the Utilities menu. If the data is still missing look at the file minerals.db from inside the Windows Explorer and see what its size is. If it is only 6 kb or a little more I can swear it contains no data. Do not look only at that file in the program folder, do it also with the same file in the backup folder, and let me know both sizes.

jaysminerals

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2012 09:11    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

Hmm.... somehow it is now all messed up. I uninstalled the program and wanted to reinstall it, but it is now not working anymore. It show this mistake right away.
The backup folder has 432kb and the mb file is 142kb.
But I do not want to steal your time with my lousy computer.

Could it also be a problem that I made the backup with an older version and now installed a newer one?

mistake.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  33319 Time(s)

mistake.JPG

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2012 09:24    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

But did you try a reindex? Do it as recommended in the FAQs page.

What are the sizes of the file minerals.db in the program folder and in the backup copy folder?

rockhoundmike

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 08:19    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

I seem to have a problem. Saved my information to a memory stick but when I plug into another computer there is no information to retrieve. Also when I download the new version how do I transfer the information located in the last version.

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 13:24    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

rockhoundmike wrote:
Saved my information to a memory stick but when I plug into another computer there is no information to retrieve.

What steps did you take to have your info saved?

rockhoundmike wrote:
...when I download the new version how do I transfer the information located in the last version.

Nothing special is to be done. Just install the new version into the same folder the old one is in.

I also encourage you to carefully read the Q&A here to see the whole picture.

rockhoundmike

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 18:39    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

I use the drag method...do I have to save it to a file first then to a stick..I am not the best with computers

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 06:04    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

rockhoundmike wrote:
I use the drag method...do I have to save it to a file first then to a stick..I am not the best with computers

Let the program itself do the work of backing up the data and don't worry about it!

Tom Mazanec

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2020 13:20    Post subject: Re: Freeware: Mineral Database  

Well, the site is still online after all this time.
And I see you are approaching your star...maybe this post will help you over the million view hurdle!

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 3 of 4
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  

Jump to: