We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 16:12

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
What would you do if ... ?

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Gail

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2011 19:23    Post subject: What would you do if ... ?  

Jordi and I had a great discussion in Tucson and he asked me to bring it up on the forum.

I was talking about what I would do if Jim were to die, would I continue collecting or stop altogether? Jim and I collect mostly together, with a few items that I bring in or he brings in without the other seeing it beforehand, we are clearly very interested in collecting as a couple. We travel to shows together, invite people into our home to visit and see our collection together, and we talk minerals together. I mulled it over, thought about it, and said to Jordi that should something happen to Jim I would probably continue to collect minerals. I think he was a bit surprised, but like Dawn Minette, much of my life is wrapped up in mineral friends.

I can't be sure how it would be for me, many sad feelings perhaps, or would I honour my husband and continue to collect? I think it might be bittersweet, but I do love the minerals and cherish that we have decided to make this a lifetime hobby.

The question is, if you are part of a couple, would you consider collecting still, or would you sell your collection and quit? Or would you just stop collecting and keep your collection intact?

h.abbasi

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 05:08    Post subject: Re: What would you do if ... ?  

Hi Gail
I think we must ask from Jim :
what you would do if Gail were to die, would you continue collecting or stop altogether?
Is it good idea?

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 07:46    Post subject: Re: What would you do if ... ?  

Jim and I talked about that too, he said he would probably not collect in the same way, perhaps something more specialized.

GneissWare

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 11:27    Post subject: Re: What would you do if ... ?  

On a tangent...what would your kids do with the collection if you both died suddenly? In your case Gail, you fortunately have a son who is interested. But, I have known several collectors whose adult children thought the collections were junk and treated them as such.

So, I wonder if the question is not only of collecting going forward, but what happens to the collection if one or both parties succumb to entropy.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Gail

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 12:12    Post subject: Re: What would you do if ... ?  

Which does bring up another subject...estate planning.

Greg Toomey

PostPosted: Feb 27, 2011 13:53    Post subject: Re: What would you do if ... ?  

Gail,

You have raised a very good and provocative subject. I started collecting minerals when I was 10, left it at around 15, and resumed in my late twenties - although I always scoured the ground on hikes and found a very special piece of coprolite when I was in college. I met Ginny at age 32 and introduced her to the world of mineral collecting. Although she is not what I consider "a mineral collector," she has shared with me in this hobby and is always surprising me with her knowledge of minerals, and we are usually attracted to the same specimens - both the aesthetic and the "aesthetically challenged," the common and some rare species, although she is not (nor I very much) into the "butt uglies!" We have so many shared experiences at the Tucson show and mineral friends that it would be difficult to attend it if she passed, but I would continue to go and probably plunge further into mineral madness than I already am, albeit with a bittersweet edge. Ginny has kept me balanced and from being totally obsessed with minerals - I believe that I was born with a genetic mineral collector strand of DNA which will only disappear when I die! Seriously, I have been forced to think along these lines as recently Ginny has had a very serious health issue to deal with (which we both look forward to being positively resolved in the next few weeks).

That being said, we have begun making estate plans for the collection, and its disposal depends on who passes first. Ginny has told me that it would be very difficult to continue collecting without my presence, and she would probably not be able to have the collection itself around without me being alive. She said there are a very few pieces she would hold onto, and as such if I should die first we have made plans to sell all of the rest in order to help her financially. If I would be the last to go, or if we would die unexpectantly together, we have made plans to donate and sell parts of the collection, as the only heirs we have are not mineral collectors. The donation part is tricky as we have reservations about the current state of mineral museums and universities, and we are in the process of doing more research, so the donational aspect of the collection is an evolving one.

Then again, I've always wanted to cement the collection into the driveway of our home...

Greg

Leodore Champigny

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2011 08:26    Post subject: Re: What would you do if ... ?  

Gail,

You already know my thoughts on this but i will put another spin on it as well. As it stands right now my wife has no interest in my collection at all, other than the fact that the core of it is worth some good money. My children are ages 3 and 6 and the little guy loves looking at the minerals, my oldest does not seem to care about them at all, although he did want to come to the club meeting the other night, maybe a promising sign, but the best I can hope for is that one of them will get into collecting. With that said, if I were to pass prematurely my collection will be sold as I think this would be in the best interest of my family. If I pass when I'm older and my boys get into mineral collecting then they will get the collection. If they are not into collecting then it will be sold and they will get the money. I would like to see my collection go to other collectors who will enjoy my minerals as I have enjoyed them. Now for the spin I mentioned earlier; I am against donating to museums or higher learning institutions and here are two examples why. An area college was doing renovations and the workers were told to throw out the cases "rocks" and all. Thankfully most of those "rocks" were saved. A friend of mine has a very substantial and valuable collection, the kind of minerals you would expect to find in a museum or at a show like the Westward Look. His collection was to go his Alma mater. At the time, the current dean had $40,000.00 allocated to renovate the library with new display cases for the collection. He already has one case at the college library with minerals in it, some of them mine as well on display. A new dean steps in and wants the case tossed contents in all. Thankfully the custodian told the geology department head and it was saved. That is why i will not not donate my collection. With that said, do your homework carefully if you are considering donating your collection, that is just my opinion on donating.

Lee Champigny

Index -> The histories behind mineral specimens   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: