We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 05:27

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Mineral specimens with inclusions - (28)
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Index -> Featured Columns of FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 18:40    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

Elise wrote:
Perhaps it would be nice to collect some links to those separate FMF threads within this current thread. This might make it a very useful and interesting resource.

Done. Here you all have the most relevant threads about inclusions (sorted by reverse chronological order):

Inclusions of spiral or helical growth and screw dislocations
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1337

Help about Quartz Inclusion from locality Ponteareas (Pontevedra) Galicia. Spain
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1557

Quartz variety: Prase
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=813

Odd inclusions in an unidentified mineral
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=1009

Determining corundum origin by inclusions - 'folded' healed fracture
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=879

Amethyst with unknown red inclusions
https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=87

Regards

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 18:58    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

The lacking of interesting examples of inclusions from my own collection (at the moment: "first the thread, then the specimen", the way the Forum influences me), I cannot help posting a couple of fine threads from the Spanish side. There we have Egor Gavrilenko, an expert in gems, to whom we owe the examples:

https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5584

https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4662

Regards

am mizunaka

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 19:43    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

Quartz with rutile inclusions.

QtzPak1.jpg
 Description:
Quartz
Dalbandin, Balochistan, Pakistan
7.5 x 5 cm.
 Viewed:  37073 Time(s)

QtzPak1.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 19:45    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

On re-reading my entry, it seems a little pedestrian to ask, is an inclusion confined to the inbound side of the of the included matrix? And do inclusions manifest themselves on the surface, where they might become a specimen on matrix? I just dropped in, pardon me.

Elise

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2011 20:37    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

vic rzonca wrote:
On re-reading my entry, it seems a little pedestrian to ask, is an inclusion confined to the inbound side of the of the included matrix? And do inclusions manifest themselves on the surface, where they might become a specimen on matrix? I just dropped in, pardon me.

This is one of my own favorite pieces - the included crystals break the surface and some form nice "specimens on matrix"- only appreciated under the microscope. The quartz crystal cluster below has blue tourmaline throughout, along with other inclusions I haven't identified. I am basing the tourmaline ID on that the crystals are strongly pleochroic (very dark blue and pale blue perpendicular to the long axis), striations along their length and the distinctive tourmaline cross-section seen as they break the surface of the quartz. They give the quartz a beautiful blue color, though in the top photo, while trying to get the sprays at the base of the quartz to show, they are blown-out. The blue is seen better in the crystal fragment in the next photo, oriented so two prism faces show. A tourmaline crystal is shown on the microscope monitor popping up through a cluster of unknown crystals embedded in the quartz face -- there are others coming through elsewhere sans yellowish crystals, but they don't show the form as nicely as this little one.

There is an interesting recently released paper on blue quartz for those who would like to know more about blue quartz colored by inclusions: Distinctive properties of rock-forming blue quartz: inferences from a multi-analytical study of submicron mineral inclusions.W. Seifert, D. Rhede, R. Thomas, H.-J. Förster, F. Lucassen, P. Dulski and R. Wirth. Mineralogical Magazine,2011, Volume 75, Number 3

Cheers!
Elise

bluequartzcluster149a.jpg
 Description:
Blue Quartz (quartz included with blue tourmaline)
unknown
35mm wide x 40 mm high
 Viewed:  37020 Time(s)

bluequartzcluster149a.jpg

bluequartzfragment157.jpg
 Description:
Quartz (included with blue tourmaline), crystal fragment showing prism face junction
unknown
30mm wide x 25mm high
 Viewed:  37042 Time(s)

bluequartzfragment157.jpg

bluequartzcluster153.jpg
 Description:
tourmaline on quartz and unknown xtls (detail of crystal fragment in above photo).
unknown
approx. 1.0 mm
 Viewed:  37019 Time(s)

bluequartzcluster153.jpg

Duncan Miller

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2011 02:00    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

Elise

You are scholarly, gracious, good humoured, and you write extremely well. I think there is great merit in your introducing some gemmology to this forum, Jordi's prejudice against crystal choppers notwithstanding! After all, the internal world of gemstones is also the internal world of minerals, and a crystal doesn't have to have faces to be crystalline.

I have arranged for the cutter of one of the Orange river quartz cabochons with haematite spots to bring it to our gem and mineral club meeting today, where I will photograph it and send you the photo privately, as we are now agreed the spots are artefacts, and so off topic.

Duncan

Duncan Miller

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2011 02:15    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

This is an edited re-post of a specimen in Peter Megaw's 'sand crystal' thread.

This smoky quartz with aegerine is from Malosa, Malawi. The aegerine crystals penetrate and poke out of all sides of the quartz crystal. Most of them are terminated, some of them doubly where they penetrate right through the quartz crystal. So, how did this grow? Did the aegerine nucleate before the quartz, which then partially engulfed it?

Duncan

Quartz & aegerine - Malawi.jpg
 Description:
Aegerine and quartz
Malosa, Malawi
70 mm long
 Viewed:  36966 Time(s)

Quartz & aegerine - Malawi.jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2011 05:29    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

Another one, this one a bit different. This is a chlorite-included quartz from the Tipling mine, Dhading district, Nepal, in which inclusion-free quartz grew over the termination creating a scepter. The piece is 8.5 cm tall.

quartz - Nepal 12-10-26 (3).JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  36978 Time(s)

quartz - Nepal 12-10-26 (3).JPG

quartz - Nepal 12-10-26 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  36958 Time(s)

quartz - Nepal 12-10-26 (2).jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2011 05:37    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

The inclusions in quartz from Pakistan described as rutile by am mizunaka look to me very much like astrophyllite, which appears to be relatively common in quartzes from Zagi Mountain in the Northwest Frontier Province.

al mar

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2011 05:45    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

Elise, I have seen some very similar blue quartz specimens from Brazil .

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2011 05:48    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

Here's one for Vic to scratch his head over. This is goethite in amethystine quartz from Rio Grando do Sul, Brazil. It would appear that the goethite grew first on the surface of a larger goethite-included quartz crystal, then it became engulfed by quartz. One assumes that the growth of the two minerals was almost simultaneous.

A John Koivula photo.

GoethiteInQuartzOvergrowth2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  36931 Time(s)

GoethiteInQuartzOvergrowth2.jpg

silvio steinhaus

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2011 20:40    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

Amethyst with various inclusions, calcite, cristobalite, goethite, and the red stuff in the picture, I do not know what it is.
The area of the photo is 14 x 12mm piece is 160 x 175mm, with many inclusions undetermined.

IMG_0332.JPG
 Description:
Amethyst with various inclusions, calcite, cristobalite, goethite, and the red stuff in the picture, I do not know what it is.
Ametista do Sul, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
The area of the photo is 14 x 12mm piece is 160 x 175mm, with many inclusions undetermined.
 Viewed:  36808 Time(s)

IMG_0332.JPG

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2011 21:25    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

It's really amazing how, on a molecular level these, these bits find themselves and arrange themselves in such a wonderful way that makes us ponder them. Simo-nucleotidic scilicic euhedral growth over goethite. I may be wrong. Just kidding, I know nothing. I still wonder what make's an inclusion. Where are it's boundaries. I would suppose it would be totally surrounded by it's binding mineral, no penetrations. Could someone clarify.

am mizunaka

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2011 04:20    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

Quartz with fluorite inclusions.

MadClusterSMQtz.jpg
 Description:
Quartz with Fluorite
Amborompotsy, Ambatofinandrahana District, Fianarantsoa Province, Madagascar
13 x 6.4 cm
 Viewed:  36790 Time(s)

MadClusterSMQtz.jpg

MadQtzSMDet.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite Inclusions
 Viewed:  36775 Time(s)

MadQtzSMDet.jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2011 04:50    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

The fluorite in quartz specimen just shown by Am provides an excellent opportunity to respond to Vic's question. These Madagascar specimens are really interesting because some of the fluorites are entirely embedded or inclosed in quartz and some are partially exposed at the surface. Those that are/were partially exposed are gone! The cavities are octahedral-shaped, but empty. It is very difficult to imagine how these could have been dissolved and removed via just a tiny opening where they were not covered by quartz. The piece in Am's photos beautifully illustrates this feature.

So, Vic, in my opinion inclusions do not have to be completely enclosed in a host mineral, they often extend beyond the surface. This is particularly true for extremely elongated fibrous or needlelike minerals such as aegirine from Malawi. I doubt that there is a definition in the popular literature that would exclude crystals that extend beyond the surface from being considered inclusions.

Antonio Alcaide
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2011 10:39    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

John S. White wrote:

So, Vic, in my opinion inclusions do not have to be completely enclosed in a host mineral, they often extend beyond the surface. This is particularly true for extremely elongated fibrous or needlelike minerals such as aegirine from Malawi. I doubt that there is a definition in the popular literature that would exclude crystals that extend beyond the surface from being considered inclusions.

Another example with part of one species inside and part outside the host mineral: quartz with possibly elbaite inclusions from Spain. The second example is an hydrocarbons included quartz interesting because of the centered position of the bitumen inclusions.

Regards

PICT9854.JPG
 Description:
Quartz with Elbaite inclusions
Badajoz, Spain
6 x 3,5 cm
Elbaite not analyzed. It looks like schorl but has green gleams at its edges and points. Most Elbaites protrude the quartz, but they can be easily seen inside it, so the greyish color.
 Viewed:  36662 Time(s)

PICT9854.JPG

quartz elbaite close up.jpg
 Description:
Quartz with Elbaite
Badajoz, Spain
Close-up of the previous specimen
 Viewed:  36690 Time(s)

quartz elbaite close up.jpg

PICT9857.JPG
 Description:
Quartz with bitumen inclusions
Jinkouhe District, Leshan Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China
7,5 x 4,5 cm
Although this is not the best example, other specimens from the same locality displays perfect centered inclusions at the junctions of the quartz crystals.
 Viewed:  36680 Time(s)

PICT9857.JPG

quartz with bitumen close-up.jpg
 Description:
Quartz with bitumen inclusions
Jinkouhe District, Leshan Prefecture, Sichuan Province, China
7,5 x 4,5 cm.
Close-up of the previous specimen
 Viewed:  36736 Time(s)

quartz with bitumen close-up.jpg

Jean louis lebret

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2011 14:33    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

A gaz bubble in a liquid inclusion (fluorite from Naica, Mexico)

PA120002.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  36633 Time(s)

PA120002.JPG

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2011 06:38    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

xenolithos wrote:
Elise

You are scholarly, gracious, good humoured, and you write extremely well.!

Absolutely!!!

xenolithos wrote:

I think there is great merit in your introducing some gemmology to this forum, Jordi's prejudice against crystal choppers notwithstanding!

I have nothing against great threads like this one, but against the junk basar of catchpenny "jewelry" that tends to flood many minerals shows as invasive species! ;-)

Here you have my humble aportation to this great thread. Please FMFers, add more!!

Apophyllite-(KF) with Julgoldite-Fe inclusions - Jalgaon_Maharashtra_India.jpg
 Description:
Apophyllite-(KF) with Julgoldite-Fe inclusions
Jalgaon, Maharashtra India.
Mined about 1988
Specimen size: 9.8 × 7 × 4.7 cm.
Former Jan Buma Zeolite Collection
Photo: Reference Specimens
 Viewed:  36672 Time(s)

Apophyllite-(KF) with Julgoldite-Fe inclusions - Jalgaon_Maharashtra_India.jpg

Smoky Quartz with inclusions and Chlorite - Diamantina_Minas Gerais_Brazil.jpg
 Description:
Smoky Quartz with unkown (maybe Albite) inclusion and Chlorite
Probably from Diamantina, Minas Gerais, Brazil.
Mined on November 2007
Specimen size: 11 × 10.5 × 5.1 cm.
Photo: Reference Specimens
 Viewed:  36638 Time(s)

Smoky Quartz with inclusions and Chlorite - Diamantina_Minas Gerais_Brazil.jpg

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2011 07:55    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

Here is a nice inclusion in a fluorite cleavage from Cave-in-Rock, Illinois. The cleavage is about 3 cm across. The inclusion is the tiny dot just to the right of the center of the cleavage. When magnified you can see a gas bubble in liquid and under the microscope it is possible to see that the bubble is flattened against all of the six sides of the rectangular hole in the fluorite.

The magnified photo was taken by Russell Feather, gemologist in the Mineral Sciences Dept. of the Smithsonian Institution.

fluorite 4-12-3.JPG
 Description:
 Viewed:  36579 Time(s)

fluorite 4-12-3.JPG

bubble in fluorite 4-12-3 Feather photo.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  36576 Time(s)

bubble in fluorite 4-12-3 Feather photo.jpg

vic rzonca

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2011 08:15    Post subject: Re: Mineral specimens with inclusions  

That is amazing John! Great shot!

Index -> Featured Columns of FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 5
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  

Jump to: