We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 05:59

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show
  Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Index -> Mineral Shows

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2011 13:16    Post subject: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show  

At the moment I am receiving a huge amount of information, messages and questions about the change in location of the Show from Sainte Marie to Colmar, as well as about the wish of the Sainte Marie town hall for the show to continue in the town, which is creating headaches and doubts for everyone, visitors and dealers alike, so I have decided to start this topic.

I have started with a link to the original news on this subject -> https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=20517#20517 and now I would like that everyone interested gives their opinion in public, with the aim that this will help clarify the numerous doubts created by the change and by the decision made by the Sainte Marie town hall.

This is the official confirmation that was sent to me by the show we all know so well (Euro Mineral):

The reasons of the moving to COLMAR in 2012 (English) : https://www.euromineral.fr/share/why_a.html
Les raisons du départ vers COLMAR en 2012 (in French) : https://www.euromineral.fr/share/why_f.html
Notre site web EURO MINERAL & EURO GEM 2012 (in French): https://www.euromineral.fr/index.html
Les plans EURO MINERAL 2012 avec les détails par secteur (in French): https://www.euromineral.fr/f_/m_map.html
Les plans EURO GEM 2012 avec les détails par secteur (in French): https://www.euromineral.fr/f_/g_map.html

Sainte Marie Minerals Show 2012 move to Colmar 1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  44860 Time(s)

Sainte Marie Minerals Show 2012 move to Colmar 1.jpg

Sainte Marie Minerals Show 2012 move to Colmar 2.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  44852 Time(s)

Sainte Marie Minerals Show 2012 move to Colmar 2.jpg

Sainte Marie Minerals Show 2012 move to Colmar 4.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  44831 Time(s)

Sainte Marie Minerals Show 2012 move to Colmar 4.jpg

Sainte Marie Minerals Show 2012 move to Colmar 3.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  44806 Time(s)

Sainte Marie Minerals Show 2012 move to Colmar 3.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jolyon Ralph

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2011 15:51    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

The interesting thing is that now there will be TWO shows, one in Ste-Marie and another in Colmar.

I'm quite pleased with this - I think it will give more opportunities for dealers, and I imagine most visitors will visit both shows -

lluis

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2011 16:14    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Hi, Jolyon, Jordi, List

Well, Colmar is convenient for me.
Sainte Marie is a nightmare logistically speaking.

I would bid that Colmar will eat Sainte Marie (to be in nowhere or to be near an aerport)

Anyway, that happens when I and my wife thought to make a wine prospect trip thorough France to Sainte Marie.... :-)
But Colmar is very convenient and unexpensive.... :-)
Hard decission!

The Schoffit cellar is very good....

With best wishes

Lluís

Jolyon Ralph

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2011 16:22    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

I'm just worried that Colmar will ruin the atmosphere of the show - we don't need another Munich-type show

lluis

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2011 16:31    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Hi, Jolyon

Well, things happen...

We will see...
And, besides, what is wrong with Munich show?
I always have thought that is wunderbar.... :-)

With best wishes

Lluís

Jean Sendero

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2011 09:26    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Jordi,

unsure I understand this here. The Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines show moves to Colmar but there will still be a show at SMaM in the Town Hall at the same time? or not? have they identified which dealer will be where?
Cheers

jean

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2011 11:38    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Jean Sendero wrote:

Jordi,

unsure I understand this here. The Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines show moves to Colmar but there will still be a show at SMaM in the Town Hall at the same time? or not? have they identified which dealer will be where?

Correct Jean, I attach below the banner of the "other" Show. Is a very complex situation, that's why many people, especially the dealers, are slight confused currently.

I'm confused too, and I have no idea which dealers will be in one or other Show, we should wait to see what happens during the next months, that's why I opened this thread to share opinions and news about this unexpected and so complicated situation.

I'm not so optimistic as Jolyon about two Shows, but as the situation is what is it, I should accept it.

affiche Mineral et Gem PETITE.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  44663 Time(s)

affiche Mineral et Gem PETITE.jpg

lluis

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2011 14:51    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Good evening

Well, my thoughts

If there will be two shows, well, the pie is same, so, the slices will be smaller and would be no gain.

I understand that Sainte Marie City Hall is not happy with this (less taxes to collect...), but two shows at same time, well, that would be bad for all.

As said, time will say....

For me, is easy: Colmar.

With best wishes

Lluís

arturo shaw

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 04:05    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Talking to Fanelsa yesterday we both arrive at the same conclusion: the road between Colmar and Sainte Marie will be jammed!

See you there!

Arturo

Christophe Houble

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 09:03    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Jolyon Ralph wrote:
I'm just worried that Colmar will ruin the atmosphere of the show - we don't need another Munich-type show

I think it will...

This exhibition in Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines is set in a beautiful natural surroundings and I think that all the mineral lovers have this thing in common : their attraction to Nature. Why remaining cooped up into overheated buildings in Colmar while you can spend the day strolling in the picturesque and lovely streets of Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines ?

Besides, I have heard that a lot of famous exhibitors will be in Sainte-Marie, like Martin WESKAMP !

It’s up to you but personally I will be in Sainte-Marie ;)

Montanpark

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 11:01    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Hi all,
i also am concerned about the atmosphere of the show. I definitely know some dealers who will go to Ste Marie, not Colmar. And i will be in Ste Marie too. As Jolyon said, no need for a Munich 2.
But we will see,
cheers
Roger

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 11:06    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

For me, the main reason to attend the Ste Marie show was because it was in Ste Marie. The setting and atmosphere of the show was totally unique. Moving it to a conference center in Colmar will make it just another show, and there are plenty of them already (at least for the time and money I have available). I think it is unfortunate that the show organizer would not keep the show at a size that could be accommodated within the streets of Ste Marie. I personally hope that the people who are attempting to keep a show in Ste Marie are successful. If/when I go again it will likely be to go to Ste Marie, not Colmar.

arturo shaw

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 11:14    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

I've been told that the show in Sainte Marie will have to be very little... or they will get no authorization.

As a tourist I love little towns with "charme" but if I am watching, taking pictures of or even buying minerals I would prefer a "Munich style" fair but in a one single enormous straight corridor under a roof. I've seen the maps of the fair in Colmar and it is not going to be the sort I like, I'm afraid. ;-)

Cheers!

Arturo

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2011 11:15    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Like Christophe, Roger and Jesse, I will be in Sainte Marie too.

I'm sure Mr Schwab will put on a very nice professional show in Colmar, but (like many of my American friends) that was not the main reason to go to Sainte Marie. We go to Sainte Marie for its rustic european holiday atmosphere, + minerals. Without that rustic holiday charm, we can patiently wait 4 more months for Munich, no need to spend $1,400 on another plane ticket.

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2011 05:51    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

As I was writing on mindat on similar topic ( https://www.mindat.org/msgboard-6.html ) we will be in Colmar. Also majority of dealers which I know go to Colmar.
Do you know that Colmar is much more beautiful town than SMAM? And each evening we can meet together because we do not have to stay spread in hotels 50km around show...
Show in SMAM will be much smaller because only few dealers will attend and because they can not make it so big as it was (this was one of the reasons to move it).
Personally when I am going to mineral show I am going for minerals etc - everything around is secondary. And if I have choice to stay in the more beautiful town, close to the show, with all friends in one place comparing with normal small French town staying 1 hour drive from it I have very easy choice! See you in Colmar!
BTW Please click "photos" for "Colmar" in Google.
Tomek

Joan Kureczka

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2011 09:03    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

The center of Colmar itself is lovely, but I recall that the convention center isn't in town -- it's outside, along the motorway. And unlike Munich there is no convenient U-bahn to get into town quickly and easily.

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2011 09:18    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Thats true that hall is outside of town center. But this is walking distance. From the very center it is about 2 km.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2011 09:42    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Tomasz,

I read your arguments with great interest here as well as in the Mindat's thread.

As a "veteran" of Ste. Marie I got many requests from different people about the Show, and my hearth is divided. I'm firmly convinced that the future is Colmar considering the impossible circumstances already existing in Ste. Marie (just consider that if a day a fire started in Ste. Marie during the Show all of us would died broiled ;-) but I also firmly beleive that in this history is not only the brain which speaks but also the heart.

Many of the people involved in these discussions we are people that we visited / exhibited Ste, Marie during at least 30 years. A main part of our life is deposited there and is very complicated for the veterans of Ste. Marie approach to this crossroad as a "cold fish" because our sentiments are strongly involved.
Those terrific storms, that unforgettable deal, the soirées at the Cromer Hotel, that friend who already isn't with us.... too many memories! ;-(

If isn't enough hard move to Colmar, now with the new Show in Ste. Marie the situation is still harder because our brain is in Colmar but our heart wants to stay in Ste. Marie, so we are divided! ;-)

The only positive thing in this so complicated history is that due the new technologies something than in the past would happened "in the dark" now is publicly discussed here, in Mindat, GeoForum, FaceBook, etcetera.... and everybody can publicly explain their thoughts, which I believe is very positive.

Tomasz Praszkier

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2011 10:17    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Jordi,
I agree with you but... Of course if we can have "new Sainte Marie" in Sainte Marie there would be no problem.
Unfortunately we have to choose. Support both shows is the worst idea for me as a dealer and buyer in SMAM/Colmar.
For me it is clear that this is the end of SMAM, and if we will partly support them this just make this story longer, shows less profitable for sellers and more difficult to buyers.
This is time to make a choice.
Best!

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Nov 22, 2011 10:23    Post subject: Re: The historic Sainte-Marie-aux-Mines Show move to Colmar in 2012 & the future  

Having two shows at the same time is not necessarily such a bad thing. Competition between organizers will result in better services for all of us :))

In America we have Tucson (with about 25 different venues, some 10 km or so from the center) and Quartzite (also with multiple venues), with different styles, and MUCH further apart from each other than Colmar and Ste Marie. And does this bother anybody? Not at all.

And smaller shows are not necessarily worse shows. Do I care if a show has 200 dealers or 1,000 dealers, when I never can personally visit more than 20 dealers in any single show?

Index -> Mineral Shows   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 3
  Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: