We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-14:25:29 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
18 Apr-10:23:19 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
18 Apr-09:23:31 Re: collection of joseph d'oliveira (Joseph Doliveira)
18 Apr-01:38:56 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
17 Apr-16:31:32 Re: mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Jordi Fabre)
17 Apr-13:20:51 Mystery stone, who knows what it is? (Flubbelyte)
17 Apr-01:49:17 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
16 Apr-09:46:56 Re: locality? (Bob Kerr)
16 Apr-05:47:22 Re: locality? (Tobi)
16 Apr-03:43:50 Re: locality? (Jordi Fabre)
16 Apr-03:36:35 Re: locality? (Tobi)
15 Apr-02:42:05 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Apr-20:48:16 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Apr-07:32:21 Re: locality? (Peter Megaw)
14 Apr-07:30:00 Locality? (Bob Kerr)
13 Apr-17:53:56 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
13 Apr-10:22:57 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
13 Apr-08:47:36 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
12 Apr-23:33:07 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
12 Apr-16:13:00 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
12 Apr-15:37:19 The mizunaka collection - beryl (Am Mizunaka)
12 Apr-14:55:06 Re: collection of carles millan (Carles Millan)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 19, 2024 02:51

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Collecting material and our environment

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Louis Friend

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 07, 2012 21:51    Post subject: Collecting material and our environment  

Honesty and integrity in all our dealings are points that frequently arise as a teacher. I often find students doing things that could get them into a lot of trouble. They might mean well but a wrongdoing is a wrongdoing and there is no middle ground or areas of grey!

The comments I now make are general and not directed at anyone in particular.

The hobby of mineral collecting does not attract good ink in the press if some members of our fraternity do things, which may be wrong. Collecting material from areas deemed off limits to collecting will give the broader community the impression that as collectors we have no objections to “raping and pillaging” our environment, and this makes legitimate field collecting difficult for the rest of us. It also makes the hobby of mineral collecting look bad.

I have many dealings with the local mining community and I have established many contacts, mainly Mine Managers. One of their main objections to collecting is the act of profiteering, and by this, I mean obtaining material on the “cheap” from naïve miners or “mothballed” mines to sell at a substantial profit to other members of the mineral collecting fraternity. If caught people face severe criminal and civil prosecution, and such headlines only make the mineral collecting hobby look bad. I know in many third world countries such as Peru, Bolivia and elsewhere some miners supplement their income by stealing from their employers. However as most mines are now run by western operators such activities are being dealt with through the criminal courts, and many companies I know would like the courts to deal with all members in the chain, from miner to collector.

If you know of any activity that may be suspicious, I strongly recommend that you contact your local or federal law enforcement. The bottom line is this, you would not like someone coming into your home and making off with your collection. A wrongdoing is a wrongdoing.

vic rzonca

PostPosted: May 08, 2012 06:55    Post subject: Re: The exact location of the Holyoke Trapps?  

Unfriendly ground = very steep to overhanging and only accessible with mountaineering techniques. Any arrangement I have with property owners is my affair and have worked to developed them for years. As far as rape and plunder go, Google Earth and view a large quarry operation and get back to me. Rape and plunder indeed. I know the commercial quarry sites in my area are closed to the casual collector, liability issues. But I have been given mine tours and access to these locations by mine managers themselves, even driven to the blast pile. The inference that a random good find is somehow suspect leaves me uncomfortable. I guess in this age of corporate personhood there is room only for large scale growth, no cred given to the little guy's effort. When I was on the sharp end of the rope, I didn't see anyone else there, and I share this small bit of natural history for your edification and enjoyment, not for your innuendo, I find no joy in that. I think I'm going to give up this mineral collecting if I'm viewed as in it for profit. What happened to adventure!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 09, 2012 10:53    Post subject: Re: Collecting material and our environment  

vic rzonca wrote:
I think my last post was more a reply to the post on the "Collecting material and our environment" and not to the topic heading The exact location of the Holyoke Trapps?. Sorry for the rant.

Absolutely Vic, your post previously published in The exact location of the Holyoke Trapps? is already moved to this thread.

nurbo

PostPosted: May 09, 2012 14:59    Post subject: Re: Collecting material and our environment  

I wholly agree with Vic too, but I thought the innuendo here was that poverty stricken miners and their families in third world countries should turn over the specimens they harvest for OUR benefit to the multi billion pound international mining companies so they can build roads with them, thus surrendering the feeble amount of extra money they make on top of the wages that we in the richer world would find laughable. I take it louis that you never ran a red light or parked in a no parking zone or any one of a thousand other things that fall into the grey areas of rules?

alfredo
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 09, 2012 15:15    Post subject: Re: Collecting material and our environment  

There is a very large overlap between "legality" and "morality", but not everything that is legal is moral, and not everything that is illegal is immoral.

A poor miner who supplements his income by saving a specimen from the crushers, and who sells it to a collector or dealer for $50, rather than let the mining corporation crush it for its $0.50 worth of copper, that poor miner has technically committed theft, a crime. But I have no problem with that, and I praise him for his "crime". The specimen is worth far more to the cause of science and art than it is as electrical wire or water pipe.

I'm reminded also of the laws prohibiting fossil exports ("national paleontological treasures") from most South American countries. If a cement company crushes thousands of fossils a day to make cement powder, that is perfectly "legal". But if I rescue one of those fossils from the crushers and export it to a museum abroad, I have committed two "crimes": theft from the cement company and violation of the export laws regarding "national patrimony". I proudly state that I have no problem at all with people who commit such "illegal acts"!

Tom H

PostPosted: May 09, 2012 15:18    Post subject: Re: Collecting material and our environment  

Mr. Rzonca,

I have been a lurker here and on Mindat for quite a while, but am posting now as I wanted to offer my sincere gratitude for posting your pictures and your story, and my encouragement to continue! It would be a pity for someone with the skill to extract such beauties (while dangling from a rope, no less!) to give up. "Louis Friend" (aka Samuel Fairfield) has a history of inflammatory posts, and of bannings and aliases on multiple message boards, so please do not take those comments to heart! I look forward to reading more of your wonderful finds as they progress!

And Samuel, how do you think all the Huang Gang specimens on your collection page made it from the mine (run by a Chinese corporation) to your collection? Miners snuck them out somewhere along the line, so as the saying goes, why throw stones?

Tom

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 10, 2012 02:33    Post subject: Re: Collecting material and our environment  

Tom H wrote:
..."Louis Friend" (aka Samuel Fairfield) has a history of inflammatory posts...

Hi Tom, welcome here!

Yes, Louis Friend, Samuel, Sam...he has multiple personalities and time to time, he like discuss inflammatory topics as well as write offensive, "viral", posts (and PM!)

I watched for him when he started again in FMF with his new personality "Louis Friend" and I warned some members of FMF about him, but as he published reasonable topics and posts like the thread from his collection: Louis Collection I let him proceed.

Unfortunately his personality seems don't have the ability to maintain discussions with other people without to be too inflammatory or too agressive, so as FMF is a common space which needs a lot of respect for the others, I banned again Sam-Louis Friend and I deleted all posts from him (and other people) related with this too flamboyant controversy. Sorry for the posts deleted from other FMFers but I can't leave just some...
As I usually do I copied these posts and I saved them, so if some one want to see them I can send to him a copy privately.

Sorry also to do it so late but some times I need to sleep and when the controversy entered into ignition I was on the bed... ;-)

I'm not too much optimistic about Sam, as although in the past I tried to block him in many different ways, is very easy for him to find new email/ IP adresses, so he can re-start in the future with a new name. Anyway, after all these bad experiences with him, as soon as he will do it I will try to catch him and block him again. I suffered him too much times in the past and now I don't want to repete again the experience.

Thank you everybody for your patience and comprehension.

John Medici

PostPosted: May 10, 2012 23:00    Post subject: Re: Collecting material and our environment  

No problem, Jordi. It is often best to ignore individuals who stray somewhat from reality.
Jordi Fabre wrote:
Tom H wrote:
..."Louis Friend" (aka Samuel Fairfield) has a history of inflammatory posts...

Hi Tom, welcome here!

Yes, Louis Friend, Samuel, Sam...he has multiple personalities and time to time, he like discuss inflammatory topics as well as write offensive, "viral", posts (and PM!)

I watched for him when he started again in FMF with his new personality "Louis Friend" and I warned some members of FMF about him, but as he published reasonable topics and posts like the thread from his collection: Louis Collection I let him proceed.

Unfortunately his personality seems don't have the ability to maintain discussions with other people without to be too inflammatory or too agressive, so as FMF is a common space which needs a lot of respect for the others, I banned again Sam-Louis Friend and I deleted all posts from him (and other people) related with this too flamboyant controversy. Sorry for the posts deleted from other FMFers but I can't leave just some...
As I usually do I copied these posts and I saved them, so if some one want to see them I can send to him a copy privately.

Sorry also to do it so late but some times I need to sleep and when the controversy entered into ignition I was on the bed... ;-)

I'm not too much optimistic about Sam, as although in the past I tried to block him in many different ways, is very easy for him to find new email/ IP adresses, so he can re-start in the future with a new name. Anyway, after all these bad experiences with him, as soon as he will do it I will try to catch him and block him again. I suffered him too much times in the past and now I don't want to repete again the experience.

Thank you everybody for your patience and comprehension.

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: