We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 25, 2024 12:54

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John S. White
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: May 30, 2012 20:49    Post subject: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

A friend has asked me if I have ever seen a yellow octahedral fluorite crystal. My sense is that I have, but I cannot remember where I saw it nor where the locality is. Therefore I am posting this query on FMF in the sure knowledge that at least some of our viewers will be able to provide examples and perhaps even photos. I will be eagerly awaiting a flood of responses.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: May 31, 2012 01:16    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

I can't remember any yellow octahedral Fluorite, excepting the handmade ones. Hopefully some other FMFer can find some example...

thehippi

PostPosted: May 31, 2012 01:55    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

You can check out this website they have a couple pieces of yellow octahedral fluorite

www jimcolemancrystals com

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 31, 2012 02:00    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

thehippi wrote:
they have a couple pieces of yellow octahedral fluorite...

They are handmade (using its property of exfoliation) as I mentioned on my previous post :

Jordi Fabre wrote:
...excepting the handmade ones...

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: May 31, 2012 07:52    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

Hi to everybody!
Jordi, do you remember? You sold me some yellow fluorite from Asturias, though it is cubic and not octaedrical. And what about the crystal you told about in this forum? Do you mean cleavage crystals as I think? Or what do you mean by "handmade"? I submit you this question because I have never seen yet a synthetic fluorite crystal. As a gemologist I mean an "handmade" crystal as a synthetic or artificial material.
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

GneissWare

PostPosted: May 31, 2012 07:56    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
I can't remember any yellow octahedral Fluorite, excepting the handmade ones. Hopefully some other FMFer can find some example...

I can't recall seeing any except for cleavages.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: May 31, 2012 08:06    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

Riccardo Modanesi wrote:
Or what do you mean by "handmade"...

I mean cleavage planes. You can check : Fluorite Octahedrons

Tracy

PostPosted: May 31, 2012 08:30    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

I have (had?) a handmade one...

- Tracy

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: May 31, 2012 08:47    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

Loving and collecting fluorite for many years, I have never seen a natural yellow octahedron.

mmauthner

PostPosted: May 31, 2012 09:46    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

I, too, have a yellow fluorite octahedron; a nice one, as they go, from Illinois. Alas, cleaved.
None of the collections I have ever looked after contained yellow octahedral fluorite, only colorless, green, pink/red, and purple. I cannot think of a blue octahedron offhand either.

See you soon!
Mark

Elise

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2012 10:02    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

John S. White wrote:
A friend has asked me if I have ever seen a yellow octahedral fluorite crystal. My sense is that I have, but I cannot remember where I saw it nor where the locality is.

Hi John, all,

If you look at the origin of the yellow color in fluorite and what growth environments lead to those color centers forming, would that lead to an explanation of why the octahedral form may be rare? (or hasn't been seen by members so far) There is quite a bit known about color in fluorite, but I don't know about how it correlates with the birth of a particular crystal form in this mineral. Perhaps understanding the relationship would give a hint as to what locality in which to look for specimens held in collections.

For background, I'd recommend the papers by H. Bill, especially Color centers, associated rare-earth ions and the origin of coloration in natural fluorites, H. Bill and G. Calas. (1978) Physics and Chemistry of Minerals. Volume 3, Number 2, 117-131. Quoting that, "the direction of the two outer oxygen nuclei is parallel to the fourfold crystal axis" ( ....at which point I could get out my tinker-toy/satay sticks and start making crystal models, but I have to get to work).

There is also the Canadian Mineralogist paper about yellow fluorite from a particular locality which includes a long discussion of the growth environment: Trinkler, M., Monecke, T., and Thomas, R. (2005) Constraints on the genesis of yellow fluorite in hydrothermal Baryte-fluorite veins of the Erzgebirge, Eastern Germany: evidence from optical absorption spectroscopy, rare-earth element data and fluid-inclusion invstigations. The Canadian Mineralogist, Vol. 43, pp. 883-898. (presently available for reading on the RRUF project site https://rruff.geo.arizona.edu/doclib/cm/vol43/CM43_883.pdf

Cheers,
Elise

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2012 13:26    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

Hi Elise:

The rarity or nonexistance of yellow octahedrons of fluorite may well be due to chemistry as little else appears to make sense. Recall, however that the claim has been made (by Fred Pough and others) that temperature of formation may influence the crystal habit of fluorite. Higher temps are thought to produce octahedrons and at lower temps cubes dominate. I am not sure that I buy into this theory but it may well have some validity. The absence of yellow octahedrons may perhaps be a good research project for someone, but unless fluorite crystals can be grown synthetically, I am not sure that much can be done.

Duncan Miller

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2012 02:33    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

In my sizable collection of Riemvasmaak fluorites all the yellow crystals are cuboid epitaxial overgrowths on the tips of green octahedra, sometime covering the original green crystal completely. Some of them are very stepped, creating a pseudo-octahedral habit, but none are flat-faced octahedra like the green crystals. As they are later growths, the conditions clearly were different and one suspects cooler, but the trace element content must be different too. On several specimens the yellow cubes are incomplete, as in the attached example, but they are not cleaved. Something on the pre-existing octahedral face must have inhibited epitaxial growth. At least, that is what it looks like to me.

Duncan Milller

Riemvasmaak fluorite compressed.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite
Riemvasmaak, Northern Cape Province, South Africa
6 x 5 x 3 cm
 Viewed:  24128 Time(s)

Riemvasmaak fluorite compressed.jpg

Elise

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2012 08:59    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

Hi,
A lot to think about! This morning I thumbed through the Lithographie issue on fluorite looking at yellow and at octahedral specimens - never the same! Unless you count the yellow fluorite twin on page 75. From the text: each individual in the twin is a "cube-octahedron-dodecahedron combination" (Naica, Mexico). On page 45 in the section on France, there is a statement "Cubes and octahedra tend to be smaller and are found in green and light blue as well as violet and yellow" (Buxieres-les-Mines). Perhaps a source, but maybe only the way the sentence reads. I didn't see anything resembling Duncan's enigmatic specimen (beautiful).
Cheers!
Elise

Duncan Miller

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2012 01:57    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

Here is another Riemvasmaak example of the partial cuboid yellow overgrowths on green octahedral tips to puzzle over. The green octahedral faces are also covered with small cuboid yellow overgrowths. (I suppose I may get into trouble from some quarters for describing this as 'epitaxial' growth, but it is a different generation of growth with a different colour and habit, so I am at a loss for a better term - and no, I am not trying to resurrect an old argument, just showing that I am aware of it.)
Duncan

Riemvasmaak 094 compressed.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite
Riemvasmaak, Northern Cape Province, South Africa
7.5 x 6 x 3 cm
 Viewed:  23924 Time(s)

Riemvasmaak 094 compressed.jpg

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2012 02:05    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

xenolithos wrote:
Here is another Riemvasmaak example of the partial cuboid yellow overgrowths on green octahedral tips to puzzle over...

Let me it add that the yellowish color seems to me to be more due to some tint of iron oxide intrusions than a real yellow color of the Fluorite.

Duncan Miller

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2012 04:00    Post subject: Re: Yellow octahedral fluorite crystals  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Let me it add that the yellowish color seems to me to be more due to some tint of iron oxide intrusions than a real yellow color of the Fluorite.

Hi Jordi - It may not show on the photos, but you will have to take it from me that the cuboid crystals actually are yellow right through, and surely any iron staining would have stained the green fluorite too. I no longer have free access to facilities to do trace element analysis but Bruce Cairncross published some trace element analyses of Riemvasmaak fluorites and there were multiple potential colouring agents. I don't know if he compared green and yellow crystals.
Duncan

Index -> Minerals and Mineralogy   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: