We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 07:39

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Strange Quartz found In New York
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

NYFineMineralExchange

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2012 21:38    Post subject: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Greetings Fellow Friends of Minerals,

This is my first post in this forum, I have been an avid mineral collector since my teen years, as I grew up here in Herkimer Diamond Country. They were my introduction to Gems/Minerals and also helped school me on how to collect minerals properly. I have been collecting Herkimer Diamonds as my main profession for over about 10 years now. My other favorite activity is Hiking, mainly in the Adirondack Park which is my backyard basically.

Anyhow, one day out on a hike, exploring some state land I had yet to explore I came across a quartz vein in a rock face out in the wilderness. Having an eye for quartz always open I was thrilled and shocked to find quartz so far from "Herkimer Diamond Country". I quickly noticed that this quartz was very colourful and had some strange inclusions I was not familiar with. I harvested some weathered specimens from the topsoil and extracted the rest of the pocket as to preserve it from weathering like the specimens that had fallen out so long ago.

The vein was like a big "geode" with most of the quartz points emerging from matrix like "drusy". However I did find a few amazing "floaters" that are some of the most amazing and interesting quartz I have ever seen from ANY location. Some of the quartz also exhibits elestial growth adding much aesthetics. Such a wide variety in appearance of these specimens. The amount of inclusions in the quartz, and the style of the quartz, varies so much from specimen to specimen.

I collected all that was collectable, and have now am ready to share some of this exciting find with other mineral enthusiasts. Specimens include quartz that varies in color from red, yellow, purple, pink, clear, with Inclusions of red Hematite. Some silver/grey/blue metallic matter that may be hematite also. Most of the specimens also have rutile, ranging in color from red, to black to white, some are gold, others are so clear they are nearly invisible without the right illumination. Some of the quartz specimens have calcite on them also, which also has various inclusions inside.

Maybe some of you can help me Identify some of the various inclusions, I will be posting more specimens from this find in this thread, so keep an eye out and thanks for checking out my first post, and for being friends of minerals.

Adam Scanlon

036.JPG
 Description:
Quartz with Strange Inclusions , Unidentified Rutile, Hematite + others
Bonapartes Cave State Forest, NY
55x44x22 in mm
This specimen is a "floater" quartz specimen that has every color of the rainbow in it. Features Rutile inclusions and is also loaded with some sort of metallic particles that appear a bluish/silver hue. 100% Natural Specimen.
 Viewed:  38054 Time(s)

036.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

NYFineMineralExchange

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2012 21:45    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Here is the same specimen illuminated from the back with an led light to show the fine particles inside the crystal that make up the "metallic" inclusions shown in the first picture.

033.JPG
 Description:
Quartz with Strange Inclusions , Unidentified Rutile, Hematite + others
Bonapartes Cave State Forest, NY
55x44x22 in mm
Artificial Light / Illuminated from the back to show detail of inclusions.
 Viewed:  38152 Time(s)

033.JPG

gemlover

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2012 03:44    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Very interesting piece. Reminds me back to when I did field work for college in the Adirondacks. Have you considered removing what appears to be dirt from the sample?

John

NYFineMineralExchange

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2012 09:47    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Hello there, I did clean this specimen thoroughly with a toothbrush and some natural soap to remove some of the pocket mud that was bulit up on the surface. That "dirt" you speak of, I believe, Is hematiate matrix. It is part of the specimen, and in my opinion adds much beauty. Could be the same material that is included but changed colors due to weathering, as I have one other specimen that has the same "dirt" and also features the same "metallic" dust like inclusion that is featured in this specimen!

GneissWare

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2012 10:00    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Hematite inclusions are often as small shiny metallic flakes.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2012 13:59    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

What a joy to find and remove such a pocket of interesting crystals! Hurry up so we can see
some more.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

NYFineMineralExchange

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2012 19:10    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Here is another specimen from this pocket, largest single point found. Such a colorful specimen with nice elestial growth on the front face/termination of large point.

048.JPG
 Description:
Quartz with Hematite + Golden/Clear Rutile
Lake Bonaparte State Forest, Lewis Co., New York, USA
70 x 61 x 49 in mm.
Such a colorful specimen, This one features the largest single point found at this location.
 Viewed:  37884 Time(s)

048.JPG

055.JPG
 Description:
70 x 61 x 49 in mm.
Close-Up
 Viewed:  37870 Time(s)

055.JPG

NYFineMineralExchange

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2012 19:12    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Better Shot of Elestial growth

054.JPG
 Description:
70 x 61 x 49 in mm.
Elestial Growth
 Viewed:  37882 Time(s)

054.JPG

NYFineMineralExchange

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2012 19:15    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but the above point is super clear and illustrious. The iron on it masks the gem quality from the front angle, but the luster can be more easily seen in person, ever from the front. The Iron adds so much color/beauty to this specimen that I wouldn't dare remove it.

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2012 20:51    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

I think our viewers might like to know what you mean by "elestial." Additionally, I suspect that there is probably no rutile in this quartz. It does not appear that the environment in which these crystals formed is likely to include rutile. Just a guess.

NYFineMineralExchange

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 00:06    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Hello John,

By elestial I mean that is faces off intricately in a skeletal like manner. Also you are wrong about the rutile, as astonishing as it may be every specimen has rutile to some degree, here is another specimen that will show you more clearly the rutile. However it is in most of, if not all the specimens from this location.

The rutile is much easier to see in person, if you will be in Springfield, MA gem show I would be happy to show anyone a few specimens in person to examine.

076.JPG
 Description:
Lake Bonaparte State Forest
58 x 53 x 50 in MM
Rutile clearly visable is black / dark red in this specimen, color varies from specimen to specimen.
 Viewed:  37795 Time(s)

076.JPG

075.JPG
 Description:
58 x 53 x 50 in MM
 Viewed:  37782 Time(s)

075.JPG

077.JPG
 Description:
58 x 53 x 50 in MM
 Viewed:  37884 Time(s)

077.JPG

NYFineMineralExchange

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 00:32    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Close up of Rutile - Dark Purple / Black Rutile, other 3 pictures of this specimen are mislabeled as having clear/golden rutile. That label was for the previous specimen.

071.JPG
 Description:
58 x 53 x 50 in MM
Close up of Rutile - Dark Purple / Black Rutile
 Viewed:  37800 Time(s)

071.JPG

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 05:18    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Rutile is not the only mineral to occur in quartz crystals in long delicate fibers and the colors you describe, dark purple and black, are not characteristic for rutile. Have not yet decided if I will be at Springfield, but if I am I would love to see your quartzes.

NYFineMineralExchange

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 08:31    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

John,

Thanks for the information, I still have alot to learn about gems and minerals. I have been self taught all I know, thanks for the bits of information. Much appreciated. I Thought rutile was a general term for thin fibers included inside quartz, was unaware untill now it was specifically reserved for Titanium Dioxide.

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 11:46    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Hi to everybody!
Fully agree with John: it might also be riebeckite or arfvedsonite, however an amphibole mineral as well! And we mustn't forget tourmaline as a very common inclusion in quartz! I think this is not the case for tourmaline, but we all know well it exists this way too!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 11:56    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

John S. White wrote:
...dark purple and black, are not characteristic for rutile...

Hi John. When you say black is an uncharacteristic color for rutile, would you say it is just uncommon or a rarity. I have some quartz with black rutile. What could cause the black color? Perhaps oxidation?

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2012 20:54    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

Rutile can be impure, it is known to contain up to 10% iron which I would guess can make it quite black in massive crystals, but I would expect needle-like crystals to be lighter in color.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2012 02:25    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

John S. White wrote:
Rutile can be impure, it is known to contain up to 10% iron which I would guess can make it quite black in massive crystals, but I would expect needle-like crystals to be lighter in color.

Thanks for the reply John. I see on internet jet black rutile needles in clear quartz from India. It does not look like rutile to me; could it perhaps be schorl?

John S. White
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2012 04:09    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

That is very likely. I am unaware of any locality for rutilated quartz in India.

J. Lawsonite

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 13:36    Post subject: Re: Strange Quartz found In New York  

I have a strong feeling that the "fibrous" mineral inclusion that you see is hematite, less likely but still possible. it is another iron oxide of some sort e.g. goethite.

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: