We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 04:48

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
I am curious to know what camera you are using...
  Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Index -> The Ten Thousand Club

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pierre Joubert

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2012 05:52    Post subject: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Hi Tobias. Nice Mimetite, nice photos ( https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=25474#25474 )

I am curious to know what camera you are using and what source of light. If it is a secret, I will understand. Best regards.

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2012 06:09    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Danke, Andreas ;-)

Pierre, it is not a secret (my pictures are very humble, why should i make a secret of it?). I use daylight under a garret window (of course no direct sunlight) and an older Canon Digital IXUS 60, so really nothing special ...

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2012 06:55    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Tobi wrote:
Danke, Andreas ;-)

Pierre, it is not a secret (my pictures are very humble, why should i make a secret of it?). I use daylight under a garret window (of course no direct sunlight) and an older Canon Digital IXUS 60, so really nothing special ...

Well Tobi, if you look at the quality of your pictures, eg. OjuelaWULF2.JPG, I would say you can be pretty proud :-) I think it is high time I buy a better camera :-)

Tobi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2012 12:30    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Thank you very much, Pierre, i'm glad you like my photos. Indeed i improved, some of the pictures are really good (e.g. the recent closeups of the German mimetite and the Ojuela wulfenite). I'm proud of them, sure, but not all of my photos are that good. Sometimes i can't find a fitting background, or the pictures are fuzzy, or too dark or too bright or the colours are not captured well etc. And some specimens are simply not made for being photographed, they look boring or ugly though they may be really nice in person ...

But the more it is good to hear that people like the good shots :-)

Tobi

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2012 13:07    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Tobi wrote:
Thank you very much, Pierre, i'm glad you like my photos. Indeed i improved, some of the pictures are really good (e.g. the recent closeups of the German mimetite and the Ojuela wulfenite). I'm proud of them, sure, but not all of my photos are that good. Sometimes i can't find a fitting background, or the pictures are fuzzy, or too dark or too bright or the colours are not captured well etc. And some specimens are simply not made for being photographed, they look boring or ugly though they may be really nice in person ...

Tobi

I understand reasonably well the principles of photography, but it seems to me that our two Kodak cameras are just not up to it when it comes to close up photography. What to buy next is the question; maybe a Canon??? Stay well.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2012 15:48    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Hi there,

I separate your last posts and created with them this new thread in order to keep coherent the Collection of Tobias Martin thread.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2012 03:02    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Hi there,

I separate your last posts and created with them this new thread in order to keep coherent the Collection of Tobias Martin thread.

Thank you Jordi :-)

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2012 08:08    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Hi Tobi! Well, don't worry about the photos, what you have shown is very nice! I made them see even to some non-mineralogist people and they like them very much! Then, I know for one photo you succeed there are some five or ten you don't! It's always this way in our life, whatever the job we are doing! Take for instance a football game: how many attempts of shooting on target should a player or a team do before scoring a goal?Ask yourself! A 100% success is never EVER done in our life!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Tobi wrote:

Tobi

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2012 06:52    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

I have come to the conclusion that, besides a good light source (a vast topic on it's own), you need a reasonably good camera with a good 80 - 100 mm lens to take photographs of smaller mineral specimens. If photographing in sunlight, a good filter is very important to reduce 'glare'. The aim is to take reasonably good photographs of minerals without having to spend your lifetime savings on photographic equipment. At present we are using two Kodak cameras, Easyshare Z710 and DX6490, and although they take fairly good photos, they are not very good at close ups of very small, 15mm and less, specimens. What camera and lens do you use together with a few short tips or (secrets) would be welcome :-) (please)

Milind

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2012 08:13    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

I use Canon IXUS 230 HS point & shoot camera. This gives best results for micromounts to thumbnails. It has macro of 1cm, which allows to get as close to 1 cm to the object. I take photographs in daylight.

480E Calcite with cavansite.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  52617 Time(s)

480E Calcite with cavansite.jpg

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2012 08:22    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Milind wrote:
I use Canon IXUS 230 HS point & shoot camera. This gives best results for micromounts to thumbnails. It has macro of 1cm, which allows to get as close to 1 cm to the object. I take photographs in daylight.

Nice photograph Milind! What is the size of the object? I find daylight to be the best. The only problem I have is that you are restricted to certain hours and good weather.

Milind

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2012 08:36    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

it is thumbnail ( 1.4 x 1 x 1 cm)

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2012 09:13    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

I found this 'nugget' of information from a good article on macro photography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_photography
(link normalized by FMF)

Lighting
The problem of sufficiently and evenly lighting the subject can be difficult to overcome. Some cameras can focus on subjects so close that they touch the front of the lens. It is difficult to place a light between the camera and a subject that close, making extreme close-up photography impractical. A normal-focal-length macro lens (50 mm on a 35 mm camera) can focus so close that lighting remains difficult. To avoid this problem, many photographers use telephoto macro lenses, typically with focal lengths from about 100 to 200 mm. These are popular as they permit sufficient distance for lighting between the camera and the subject.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2012 09:56    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Recommended reading: How to do better close up photographs of minerals?

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2012 11:58    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Jordi Fabre wrote:
Recommended reading: How to do better close up photographs of minerals?

Thanks Jordi. The photos of Ploum show what can be achieved with the use of a good lens. The standard 'point and shoot' cameras do not quite have that ability, it seems.
New pictures of Micros

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2012 13:06    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

After some consideration (you can't really go wrong following one of the best mineral photographer's advice), I have decided to purchase either a FZ28 or a FZ35 Panasonic camera. This camera is relatively priced (even I can afford it). I have also sorted my artificial lighting out. It is not perfect but effective. In time, I will share my findings with some links.

Doug

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2012 15:18    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

When using artificial light, it is nice to have a camera that you can set a custom white balance using a gray card. This works better than using any of the preprogrammed white balance setting in the camera. I bought a refurbished Canon G9 to use for mineral photography other than micro minerals. I also have a 105 micro Nikkor for use on my D300. The G9 is easy to use in manual mode.

Doug

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2012 15:46    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

Doug wrote:
When using artificial light, it is nice to have a camera that you can set a custom white balance using a gray card. This works better than using any of the preprogrammed white balance setting in the camera. I bought a refurbished Canon G9 to use for mineral photography other than micro minerals. I also have a 105 micro Nikkor for use on my D300. The G9 is easy to use in manual mode.

Doug

Thank you for the advice Doug, and thank you for sharing your lovely mineral pictures and the one showing your set-up. What type of filter would you recommend for sunlight?

GneissWare

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2012 21:23    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

You may want to try a circular polarizing filter.

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2012 02:46    Post subject: Re: I am curious to know what camera you are using...  

GneissWare wrote:
You may want to try a circular polarizing filter.

Thanks Bob.

Index -> The Ten Thousand Club   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 2
  Goto page 1, 2  Next  

Jump to: