We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 02:21

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
The mineral community has lost Mick P. Cooper

Index -> In Memoriam

View previous topic :: View next topic  

John S. White
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2008 08:46    Post subject: The mineral community has lost Mick P. Cooper  

The mineral community has lost one of its superstars. Michael "Mick" P. Cooper passed away this past weekend in his home in Nottingham, England. He has had a long history of heart problems and it is assumed that his heart finally gave out. Mick will be remembered most for his books, the first being Minerals of the English Lake District: Caldbeck Fells (co-authored with C. J. Stanley) and the other being his magnum opus - Robbing the Sparry Garniture - a 200-year history of British mineral dealers, published in 2006. He was the Registrar for the Nottingham City Museums and Galleries, an associate editor of Mineralogical Record, and the editor of the Bulletin of the Russell Society. He has made numerous other contributions to the mineralogical literature.

There will be much more written about Mick Cooper in coming months. He was a close personal friend and I feel a deep sadness over the loss of this exceptional person.

John S. White

Mick Cooper 2008.JPG
 Description:
Mick Cooper at the Smithsonian on April 2008
 Viewed:  14914 Time(s)

Mick Cooper 2008.JPG

Reply to topic Reply with quote

nitana2000

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2008 11:22    Post subject: Re: The mineral community has lost Mick P. Cooper  

I´m sorry John... receive a strong hug from Spain.

Ray McDougall

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2008 17:55    Post subject: Re: The mineral community has lost Mick P. Cooper  

Although I didn't know Mick well enough to feel remotely qualified to post a reply about him on this Forum, this sad news really sank in with me.

I made Mick’s acquaintance only recently and he likely would not have recalled me other than from this year’s Rochester Symposium. (For those who were not there, he was a featured speaker on two days, with two excellent talks – each, interestingly, a rather different approach from the other - on the subject matter of his amazing historical book, Robbing the Sparry Garniture). It might therefore seem a little odd that I’d feel quite this way. Perhaps one just knows a truly exceptional, intelligent, thoughtful and good person when one has the privilege to know one, for however brief an amount of time.

I genuinely enjoyed talking with Mick and I had no reason to believe he wouldn't be a mineral world contact/friend for a long time. We had some great conversations and good laughs together at different points over the course of Rochester - I'm now truly grateful for that. Maybe it says a lot about Mick that such a brief acquaintance felt as it did.

As I thought about this, it also came home to me (apologies, as I know this is largely self-evident) that any opportunity we have to get together with some of the incredible and talented people we’re so fortunate to have in mineral world - at any event that is accessible to us, whether the excellent Rochester Symposium, a local club meeting or any local or larger mineral shows - is a true, special privilege not to be taken for granted.

R.

James Catmur
Site Admin

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2008 09:55    Post subject: Re: The mineral community has lost Mick P. Cooper  

I got to know Mick when he was writing his recent book on mineral dealers. I last met him at the Oxford show where we traded notes about some dealers. His death is a sad loss to the community, and we shall all miss him

James

Index -> In Memoriam   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: