We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
24 Apr-05:09:17 Re: need help with identification of minerals in an old video (James Catmur)
24 Apr-04:24:30 Re: collection of tobi (Carles Millan)
23 Apr-17:44:56 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Peter Megaw)
23 Apr-09:12:26 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-08:42:40 Need help with identification of minerals in an old video (Hababkhan)
23 Apr-08:12:31 Re: collection of michael shaw (Tobi)
23 Apr-07:31:29 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
23 Apr-03:24:05 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
22 Apr-07:43:53 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
22 Apr-07:37:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
22 Apr-06:59:29 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (James Catmur)
22 Apr-04:49:40 Re: in memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Carles Millan)
22 Apr-04:27:08 In memoriam - george robinson, a man of science, passed away (Jordi Fabre)
21 Apr-19:05:50 The mizunaka collection - fluorite (Am Mizunaka)
21 Apr-10:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
21 Apr-10:02:41 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-07:41:53 Re: collection of tobi (Tobi)
21 Apr-01:06:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
19 Apr-14:43:38 Re: tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
19 Apr-13:49:53 Re: tsumeb unknown (Jordi Fabre)
19 Apr-13:49:47 Re: tsumeb unknown (Roger Warin)
19 Apr-11:39:35 Tsumeb unknown (Cfrench58)
18 Apr-22:18:36 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-22:09:29 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Volkmar Stingl)
18 Apr-14:47:23 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Apr 25, 2024 02:19

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Oxfordshire Mineral Groups and Specimens

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Judith Chen

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2012 08:09    Post subject: Oxfordshire Mineral Groups and Specimens  

Good afternoon to you all,

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum. Apologies if I have made a mistake. I Hope it ok to ask this question on this forum. I have recently relocated to Oxfordshire and wanted to know if anyone knows of any mineral/geology groups I can join in Oxford to learn more about minerals. I would class myself as a beginner and wanting to learn more about minerals. I used to attend groups in London but can't seem to find anything in Oxford.

Since being here I haven't been able to find any shops locally that sell minerals either I was certainly spoilt for choice in London can anyone help and point me in the right direction. I do prefer selecting specimens by hand as opposed to the over the internet where possible.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you.

Happy New Year!
Judith
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Jolyon Ralph

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2012 08:22    Post subject: Re: Oxfordshire Mineral Groups and Specimens  

There isn't much in the Oxford region to collect, other than Gypsum.

However, you do have the nice, regular, Oxford Mineral shows to look forward to.

Do a google search for Oxford mineral show, unfortunately this system won't allow me to paste the link to it.

ian jones

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2012 08:41    Post subject: Re: Oxfordshire Mineral Groups and Specimens  

Oxfordshire is mineralogically rather dull, really not to much to collect apart from the occasional gypsum. However, the Oxford University Museum of Natural History has a fine collection and is well worth visiting.

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2012 09:01    Post subject: Re: Oxfordshire Mineral Groups and Specimens  

Jolyon Ralph wrote:
...Do a google search for Oxford mineral show, unfortunately this system won't allow me to paste the link to it.

Yes, you can! ;-) Please read: Links within the message forum

Happy New Year for you Jolyon, as well as for all members of the great site Mindat

Judith Chen

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2013 09:46    Post subject: Re: Oxfordshire Mineral Groups and Specimens  

Good afternoon

Many thanks for the replies. It is disappointing not much going on in this part of the country. Maybe I will become a collector of gypsum.

I hadn't come across the Oxford Mineral Show in my searches and good to know and look forward to attending this. Thank you for letting me know. If anyone knows of anything else do let me know.

Are there any geology groups about that I can join to satisfy my interest?

Best wishes and thanks
Judith

Peter Perkins

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2013 04:06    Post subject: Re: Oxfordshire Mineral Groups and Specimens  

There is an Oxford Geology Group. This setup would not accept the website address and 'send' the message I first wrote!. You should be able to find them if you google their name.
I hope you find enough mineralogy with them.
Peter

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2013 04:39    Post subject: Re: Oxfordshire Mineral Groups and Specimens  

In https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?p=27431#27431 Jordi Fabre wrote:
...Please read: Links within the message forum....

For links, please use the details mentioned in the above post or please read A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips, point 2:

"2.-) If you want to add a link to a particular point within another Topic on the forum you can copy the link to the particular point of interest and include it in your text. To see how follow this link

The forum does allow you to type in direct links to web page on the following web sites: FMF, FMF Gallery, Mindat, WebMineral, Mineralienatlas.de, Strahlen.org, strahlenfoundation.com, RRUFF-IMA project, Mineralogical Record, Rock&Minerals, MTI, Minercat (Grupo Mineralógico Catalán), Minval (Societat Valenciana de Mineralogía), Wikipedia, Fabre Minerals, Minerales.info
For links to other web pages outside the forum you should use the same method when writing them as that used when adding email addresses.
For example: https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/index.php, is a link within this forum so can be typed in directly, but had it been an external link you would have had to have added it as:

http(:)//www(.)foro(-)minerales(.)com/forum/index(.)php
"

So, the link you tried to publish should be written like this: www(.)oxgg(.)org(.)uk and then, us we will normalize as: https://www.oxgg.org.uk

Thank you

Judith Chen

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2013 14:03    Post subject: Re: Oxfordshire Mineral Groups and Specimens  

Thanks Peter, will look them up.

Fingers crossed
Kind regards
Judith

Colleen Thomson

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2013 20:09    Post subject: Re: Oxfordshire Mineral Groups and Specimens  

hi Judith,
unfortunately this part of the country is mostly glacial deposition , alluvial gravels, sand, and clay with the occasional outcropping of limestone. great for fossils -pretty dull (as was pointed out) for minerals.
there may not be many mineral clubs in the surrounding area -ours is about 40 miles from Oxford .
i'm the chairman of the MILTON KEYNES GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY (based in Milton Keynes, East of Oxford strainght down the A421 towards the M1 motorway) - takes about 45-60mins from Oxford.
We meet monthly the first Tuesday Eve each month and even manage a few mineral collecting trips (though the majority do still tend to be fossil collecting trips)

Check out our website:
https://www.mkgeosoc.org
(link normalized by FMF)

Copy of mkgs.org logo1.jpg
 Description:
 Viewed:  11514 Time(s)

Copy of mkgs.org logo1.jpg

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: