We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
20 Mar-14:06:43 Re: dry gill mine, caldbeck fells, cumbria, uk (Forrestblyth)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 09:26

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A Scientific and mineralogical trip to the Iberian Pyrite Belt - (6)
  Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Index -> Featured Columns of FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Mark Ost

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2013 20:43    Post subject: Re: A Scientific and mineralogical trip to the Iberian Pyrite Belt - (6)  

The Baryte is beautiful. Thanks for tour.
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Cesar M. Salvan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2013 22:13    Post subject: Re: A Scientific and mineralogical trip to the Iberian Pyrite Belt - (6)  

Here, I pick the tour through IPB up from the last addition about the interesting Neves-Corvo deposit.
As I explained in the beginning of this thread, the IPB deposits could be divided in two types, well differentiated in age and origin of the main mineralization. The Neves-Corvo deposit belong to the "Southern" class of volcano-sedimentary massive sulfide deposits in the IPB. This class of deposit is of interest to our research team, because of its main characteristics:
-shale hosted deposit: The mineralized massive sulfide bodies are included in the VSC (volcano-sedimentary complex), a complex formation that include dacitic-rhyolitic domes, sills, lava flows and volcanoclastics units interbedded with detrital sedimentary rocks, formed between 360-330 Ma.
- Age: The formation of the sulfides begun during late Fammenian (Devonian), in a black mud in a submarine environment and are coincident with the major biological crisis of the D-C boundary.

The origin of the mineral in this type of deposit is still a matter of debate. Some authors suggest that is exhalative, but some evidences suggest that is a brine pool type: the volcanic activity were formed in a small basin that suffered an anoxic episode due to the displacement of seawater by dense and saline hydrothermal fluids. This leads to the precipitation of sulfide, generated by the activity of anaerobic sulfate-reducing bacteria, among others parallel phenomena, as the formation of rich stockworks. The formation of pyrite in the form of fall-out of a very tiny crystals is the explanation to the extraordinary thin grain of massive pyrite in this type of deposits.

The deposits as Neves-Corvo and Tharsis show us a dramatic episode during Earth history: the volcanic activity and climate changes lead to a major ecological crisis and geochemical change that left the massive sulfide deposits as a generous clue.

The Neves-Corvo deposit has some particular features, that differentiate it from others deposits of similar origin, as Tharsis. For example, the contribution of magmatic-hydrothermal fluids to the mineralization, that generate an unique mineral assemblage, very rich in tin (with the presence of about 300000 tons of metal), associated with copper minerals in form of stannite and casiterite, among others rarer minerals. The origin and accumulation of tin is still a not fully resolved question, anyway.

Also, Neves-Corvo is a source of "high-tech" metals, particularly indium and germanium. The chalcopyrite and sphalerite of Neves-Corvo is one of the richest indium sources and this metal is recovered mainly from zinc concentrates. Despite of this indium richness, this metal rarely form visible minerals, observable at microscopic level (roquesite).

Other curiosity: the 23th april of 2013, the mine reached 1000 m deep, being the deepest mine workings in the IPB. To visit this mine is a exciting experience, although, as usual in active mining operations, is not easy to obtain permissions.
Anyway, as usual also in the IPB mines and in general in all volcano-sedimentary deposits, to obtain collectible specimens is very difficult, as Jorge Santos said. The Neves-Corvo mine was a unique case and beautiful crystals of tetrahedrite-group minerals, chalcopyrite, galena and Baryte occasionally appear.

...next chapters: Lousal mine, converted in a beautiful educational and divulgative initiative, and revisiting the most intriguing and complex deposit of IPB: Las Cruces.

Neves Corvo Pozo Santa Barbara .jpg
 Description:
Neves-Corvo Mine, Santa Bárbara de Padrões, Castro Verde, Beja District, Portugal
The impressive headframe of Santa Barbara shaft, used for the extraction of mineral.
 Viewed:  18902 Time(s)

Neves Corvo Pozo Santa Barbara .jpg

placa mil metros.jpg
 Description:
Neves-Corvo Mine, Santa Bárbara de Padrões, Castro Verde, Beja District, Portugal
The shores of hell: plaque remembering the day the miners reached the -1000 m level. The climate at that depth is oppressive: 50ºC and 120% humidity in a mist, dark and suffocating atmosphere in spite of air circulation system.
 Viewed:  18932 Time(s)

placa mil metros.jpg

tetrahedrita-tennantita neves corvo.jpg
 Description:
Tetrahedrite group
aprox. 10 cm FOV
Tetrahedrite group mineral taken in situ. The presence of tetrahedrite, tennantite and freibergite (usually in intermediate composition) has been reported. Without analysis of the sample, the correct label is tetrahedrite group or tetrahedrite-tennantite.
 Viewed:  18919 Time(s)

tetrahedrita-tennantita neves corvo.jpg

stockwork segunda parada.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite
View of a chalcopyrite stockwork in the Lombador orebody. Occasionally, epithermal veins and deformation fractures lead to the formation of crystals of chalcopyrite and other sulfides.
 Viewed:  18967 Time(s)

stockwork segunda parada.jpg

calcopirita 2.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite
crystal 4.7 mm
Chalcopyrite and carbonate crystals in a closed fracture in shale hosted pyrite stockwork from Corvo orebody. Chalcopyrite is a plastic mineral and tends to flow and recrystallize in fractures.
 Viewed:  18893 Time(s)

calcopirita 2.jpg

tetrahedrita neves corvo.jpg
 Description:
Tetrahedrite group
crystal 2 mm
Tetrahedrite-tennantite crystal surrounded by galena. Some authors suggest that these assemblages in volcanogenic sulfide deposits come from the mixing of hydrothermal fluids with cold seawater, with precipitation of galena-tetrahedrite group association.
 Viewed:  18954 Time(s)

tetrahedrita neves corvo.jpg

Cesar M. Salvan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2013 19:15    Post subject: Re: A Scientific and mineralogical trip to the Iberian Pyrite Belt - (6)  

And a little bit more on Neves Corvo mine...we found some rare secondary copper minerals in small fractures in chalcopyrite.

calcopirita + sulfate.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite, Redgillite
FOV 0.9 mm
Small balls (aggregates of lath like crystals) of the rare sulfate Redgillite, found in a small fracture of massive Chalcopyrite of Corvo mass.
 Viewed:  18808 Time(s)

calcopirita + sulfate.jpg

calcopirita + chloride.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite+undetermined chloride
FOV 0.9 mm
Crystals of a not fully determined copper chloride (Botallackite?, Bobkingite?) on chalcopyrite. Corvo orebody.
 Viewed:  18773 Time(s)

calcopirita + chloride.jpg

dolomita sobre calcopirita2.jpg
 Description:
Dolomite
A beautiful SEM image: dolomite, brochantite and copper chloride (Botallackite? Bobkingite?) on chalcopyrite. From the Corvo orebody.
 Viewed:  18817 Time(s)

dolomita sobre calcopirita2.jpg

galena.jpg
 Description:
Galena
FOV 2.5 mm
 Viewed:  18786 Time(s)

galena.jpg

2012-07-03 neves corvo 044.jpg
 Description:
Chalcopyrite
Usually is not the underground workings the best place to study the metallogeny of a mine. Instead, the drill cores gives us better and more complete information about the geology and mineralogy of a mine. In the picture, a chalcopyrite stockwork (a network of ore veins)
 Viewed:  18830 Time(s)

2012-07-03 neves corvo 044.jpg

Cesar M. Salvan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2013 07:57    Post subject: Re: A Scientific and mineralogical trip to the Iberian Pyrite Belt - (6)  

As promised in the latest post, I continue here with this brief trip along the Iberian Pyrite Belt, with the, by far, most interesting deposit of the belt from both a mineralogical and general scientific point of view: the Las Cruces mine (Gerena, Sevilla, Spain).

As the audience here seems to have a low interest in the metallogenic and ore deposit geological aspects, I will not annoy with long explanations. Instead, I will complete the glimpse of the deposit's mineralogy.

bornita fov 2 mm.jpg
 Description:
Bornite
Las Cruces mine, Gerena, Seville, Andalusia, Spain
FOV 2 mm
A recent novelty in the mine: beautiful (although small) pseudo-cubic crystals of bornite.
 Viewed:  18619 Time(s)

bornita fov 2 mm.jpg

bornita fov 2 mm 3.jpg
 Description:
Bornite
FOV 2 mm
Another view of the bornite crystals
 Viewed:  18599 Time(s)

bornita fov 2 mm 3.jpg

calcosina mayo 2013 copia.jpg
 Description:
Chalcocite
4 mm crystal.
Beautiful chalcocite crystal on calcite. The bests crystals have been recovered from recrystallization on fractures and hydrothermal veins, usually covered with carbonates.
 Viewed:  18592 Time(s)

calcosina mayo 2013 copia.jpg

harmotome.jpg
 Description:
Harmotome
FOV 2 mm
This low temperature barium zeolite is widespread along the hydrothermal veins and fractures that cut the secondary enrichment zone, giving clues on the complex processes that happened here.
 Viewed:  18630 Time(s)

harmotome.jpg

harmotoma.jpg
 Description:
Harmotome
FOV 5 mm
Harmotome radial groups, with pearceite on chalcocite matrix.
 Viewed:  18645 Time(s)

harmotoma.jpg

tennantita FOV 1.6 mm.jpg
 Description:
Tennantite
FOV 1.6 mm
The tennantite is a frequent mineral, although is rare in crystals higher than 1 mm. When crystallized, always form perfect tetrahedrons, usually covered with other minerals, in this case chalcocite in spheroidal groups of very tiny tabular crystals.
 Viewed:  18630 Time(s)

tennantita FOV 1.6 mm.jpg

galena plumosa lcc-0613-2.jpg
 Description:
Galena
Fast Sulphur sobresaturation in a zone of the deposit lead to interesting galena forms.
 Viewed:  18624 Time(s)

galena plumosa lcc-0613-2.jpg

silver las cruces.jpg
 Description:
Silver
FOV 1.2 mm
Native silver is a very rare mineral in Las Cruces, as expected given the mineralization processes. But, is occassionally found as small wires, usually accompanied by proustite.
 Viewed:  18574 Time(s)

silver las cruces.jpg

amigo

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2017 22:24    Post subject: Re: A Scientific and mineralogical trip to the Iberian Pyrite Belt - (6)  

hello, what a great site. Does anyone have any information or pictures of Lomero Poyatos mine. Australian mining company Winmar Resources has commenced drilling today. Would be very keen and interested if anyone could offer their thoughts on Lomero. Thankyou

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2017 16:33    Post subject: Re: A Scientific and mineralogical trip to the Iberian Pyrite Belt - (6)  

amigo wrote:
hello, what a great site. Does anyone have any information or pictures of Lomero Poyatos mine. Australian mining company Winmar Resources has commenced drilling today. Would be very keen and interested if anyone could offer their thoughts on Lomero. Thankyou

Some info here (them all in Spanish language) :
https://www.foro-minerales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125271#125271

https://www.mtiblog.com/2012/12/mina-lomero-poyatos-cortegana-el-cerro.html

https://contramina.blogspot.com.es/2009/03/mina-lomero-poyatos.html

Index -> Featured Columns of FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 2
  Goto page Previous  1, 2  

Jump to: