We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
18 Mar-08:12:52 Green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
18 Mar-06:47:13 Mineralogy & museums 10 - cardiff - 12th-13th august 2024 (Roy Starkey)
18 Mar-02:50:32 Re: collection from dany mabillard (Dany Mabillard)
17 Mar-01:57:58 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
15 Mar-14:27:47 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
15 Mar-13:49:04 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
15 Mar-09:18:42 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
15 Mar-03:45:43 The mizunaka collection - rhodochrosite (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-21:29:31 Re: monthly mineral chronicles, mineral guides and more... (Crocoite)
14 Mar-14:47:27 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-13:56:01 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
14 Mar-11:24:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Jordi Fabre)
14 Mar-08:55:22 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
14 Mar-08:44:47 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
14 Mar-07:24:12 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
14 Mar-02:30:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
14 Mar-02:20:37 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Tobi)
13 Mar-23:40:08 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
13 Mar-14:22:58 Re: don lum collection (Don Lum)
13 Mar-14:02:43 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
13 Mar-00:57:48 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
12 Mar-07:36:06 Re: can you recommend a lab to analyse specimens (Luiz Oliveira)
11 Mar-16:19:18 Re: collection of philippe durand (Riccardo Modanesi)
11 Mar-15:18:26 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)
11 Mar-15:13:07 Re: collection of philippe durand (Philippe Durand)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 19, 2024 00:19

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Index -> Featured Columns of FMF

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ru Smith

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 11:54    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

So that's intriguing. What favoured this growth habit at Blackdene and Boltsburn and not at the other mines in the district (bar rare exceptions)? Enjoy the sun!
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Ru Smith

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 12:15    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Pete Richards wrote:
Our messages may have crossed... but those oscillations are typical, and I presume they represent small changes in the relative growth rates of fluorite and pyrite.

Yes, we posted simultaneously. The shared "microstratigraphy" of the pyrite columns confirms your balanced growth interpretation. I had never seen this before and yesterday was the first time I looked so closely at that particular crystal. Are there any "brackets" on possible growth rates available from lab work (or any other source)?

I thought to take a look at growth zoning patterns in the elongate crystals to look for further clues on growth patterns. I can see nothing in the Boltsburn crystal, but the Blackdene one is interesting. Two of the long faces grew much faster (one faster than the other) than the other two, such that the early core of the crystal is "left behind" against one long edge. Perhaps this is the explanation for Jesse's yellow corner zone in his Rogerley crystal over on the Fluorite growth zoning thread.

Dissection of such a zoned elongate crystal would be revealing.

Elongate fluorite end view.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite
Blackdene Mine, Ireshopeburn, Weardale, Co Durham, UK.
95 mm specimen with 45 mm elongate fluorite (L/W = 5).
 Viewed:  28688 Time(s)

Elongate fluorite end view.jpg

Steve Maslansky

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 12:25    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Here is a example from the Denton Mine of Illinois

M711.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite on sphalerite
Denton Mine, Hardin County, Illinois, USA
4 x 4 inches
 Viewed:  28741 Time(s)

M711.jpg

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 12:54    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Double-dealing: elongated and etched! ;-)

Florite with Calcite - Annabel Lee Mine_Hardin County_Illinois_USA.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite with Calcite
Annabel Lee Mine, Hardin County, Illinois, USA
Specimen size: 7.8 × 6.2 × 3.1 cm
Mined on 05/17/1985
Former collection of James Catmur
Fluorescent long & short UV

Photo: Reference Specimens
 Viewed:  28882 Time(s)

Florite with Calcite - Annabel Lee Mine_Hardin County_Illinois_USA.jpg

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 13:56    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Ru - the Rogerley "yellow corners" are always on an outside corner of the crystal, never at the base or core. Also, they often occur on crystals that are otherwise fairly equant in shape, and show no suggestion of preferential growth in a particular direction.

It occurred to me that, while twinning is common in North Pennines fluorite, the examples of highly elongate crystals I've seen are usually untwinned. Looking through the collection, I found a few examples of twinned crystals that show a tabular habit, but nothing as extreme as the Boltsburn and Blackdene crystals previously posted. Below is one from the Boltsburn Mine. I also have a few, though much smaller examples from the Rogerley.

F326-6488r.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite
Boltsburn Mine, Rookhope, Weardale, England
11x8x8 cm overall size
penetration-twinned crystal showing elongate habit
 Viewed:  28638 Time(s)

F326-6488r.jpg

Mark Ost

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 14:32    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Spectacular. My Goodness.

Malcolm Southwood

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 15:29    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Jordi, thanks for the correction, (thereby sparing future blushes!)

Pete,
I'd like to revisit, for a moment, the screw dislocation idea for these elongated crystals. Radovan (2004, Rocks and Minerals 79 (6) pp 415-417) attributes the development of vicinal faces and growth hillocks in fluorite to spiral growth as a result of such dislocations. Surely this would suggest that the mechanism might not be limited to whisker crystals?

Cheers
mal

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 15:41    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Malcolm Southwood wrote:
...I'd like to revisit, for a moment, the screw dislocation idea for these elongated crystals...

Recommended reading: Inclusions of spiral or helical growth and screw dislocations

Pete Richards
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 18:50    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Malcolm Southwood wrote:

I'd like to revisit, for a moment, the screw dislocation idea for these elongated crystals. Radovan (2004, Rocks and Minerals 79 (6) pp 415-417) attributes the development of vicinal faces and growth hillocks in fluorite to spiral growth as a result of such dislocations. Surely this would suggest that the mechanism might not be limited to whisker crystals?

Cheers
mal

You are right that screw dislocations lead to spiral growth on macroscopic crystals, and in fact they are probably the main promoter of growth in many environments where the level of supersaturation is low, because spiral growth eliminates the need to nucleate new layers of atoms, which is the growth rate limiting step in classical layered growth mechanism (in the absence of screw defects and their resulting "spiral staircase" of a single atomic layer).

The problem is that screw defects are abundant - a few to millions per square centimeter. And they should be expected to occur in roughly the same density intersecting all faces of the same form (e.g. a cube). They may promote growth overall, but unless they are selectively concentrated perpendicular to one cube face, they will not promote differential growth. I'm not aware of anyone suggesting a mechanism by which they are selectively present in one direction in macroscopic crystals.

In whisker crystals, it does seem to be the case that whiskers are promoted by a single screw defect.

Malcolm Southwood

PostPosted: Mar 24, 2013 20:04    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Thanks Pete,
That's helpful.
mal

John Medici

PostPosted: Mar 25, 2013 13:18    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

The midwest USA has produced many elongated fluorites and pyrites, and a few other elongated crystals that are usually not elongated. Below are a couple of examples, maybe a few duplicates of ones posted in USA-Ohio. Halls Gap, Kentucky has pyrite needles (and rings) that are often found in small quartz geodes. I have also found an elongated cube (only one, of around 500 collected over the years) at Fort Wayne, Indiana, which is similar to the Weardale ones shown; it is a yellow one, clear with sharp edges like the other ones found there.

093OHfluorite -Delphos'96needles5mmlong.jpg.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite (needles)
Suever Quarry, Delphos, Ohio, USA
5 mm long needles
 Viewed:  28454 Time(s)

093OHfluorite -Delphos'96needles5mmlong.jpg.jpg

087OHfluorite-Delphos-3-'87-sheaves1cm high.jpg.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite
1 cm high
sheaf of elongated needles, with cube on top
 Viewed:  28489 Time(s)

087OHfluorite-Delphos-3-'87-sheaves1cm high.jpg.jpg

096.1OHfluorite-Delphos'87needles on pin head.jpg.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite needles on head of pin
around 5 mm long
Most Delphos fluorites of this type were found in petroleum-filled pockets, sometimes associated with pyrite.
 Viewed:  28430 Time(s)

096.1OHfluorite-Delphos'87needles  on pin head.jpg.jpg

097OHfluorite-Delphos'87needles-SEM(Geo.Robinson).jpg.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite needle, bifurcated
around 5 mm long
George Robinson SEM photo
 Viewed:  28475 Time(s)

097OHfluorite-Delphos'87needles-SEM(Geo.Robinson).jpg.jpg

Ru Smith

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2013 18:50    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Fascinating specimens, John.

Do you know of any published research that attempts to explain them?

Duncan Miller

PostPosted: Mar 26, 2013 23:12    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

With rapid crystallization many minerals form dendritic, acicular or skeletal crystals. In slags for example, where crystal growth is stopped by rapid solidification, one commonly finds skeletal olivines and dendritic magnetite. Ice crystals in snow are a more familiar example. Micromounters see habits that are not frequently encountered in hand specimen. For instance, on page 15 of LAPIS 4/2010 there is a photograph of a clearly dendritic fluorite crystal 1,5 mm long. With more prolonged slow growth these dendritic, acicular and skeletal crystals may fill out and assume more equant shapes. It is not hard to imagine the fluorite needles illustrated above being the rapid-growth precursors to the fatter elongated examples, preserving the same aspect ratio. This would point to fast initial dendritic growth followed by a slower more prolonged equant growth. (This is speculative because I am not an expert on crystal growth, although I have studied a lot of slags petrographically).
Duncan Miller

Pierre Joubert

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2013 04:40    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Wow! I wish mr. Ploum could get hold of this fascinating little specimen: https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/files/0961ohfluorite_delphos87needles_on_pin_headjpg_387.jpg :-)

'The tree of silence bears the fruit of peace. '

bugrock

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2013 09:33    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

The image of the fluorite on the head of a pin from Ohio is not perfectly sharp but the pattern of growth suggests a series of small stacked cubes, perhaps some elongate and more rectangular than cubic.

Have seen elongate micro cuprite with small steps suggesting a series of stacked cubic to rectangular microcrystals. Without seeing fine detail such groups can look like tapering filaments when the diameter of the cubic crystals changes very gradually along the axis of stacking.

So for the smaller specimens of fluorite one could imagine that the component crystals are conventional cubic form. Might this also happen in the larger specimens? If so two or more cubes would have to grow together with the same diameter and with perfect fusion between the components. Seems unlikely but another possibility to consider?

George

ian jones

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2013 10:57    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

How could I possibly forget Rogerley, the place that I spend my summers drinking beer and digging rocks.

Although atypical, this rather grubby purple fluorite 6x3x3 cm on the top of the specimen came from the vein as we drove forward in 2012 rather than the flats to the side of the vein where the green fluorite occurs. For some reason the vein fluorites are purple and the flats green.

rogerley elong 800.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite
Rogerley Mine, Rogerley Quarry, Frosterley, Weardale, Co. Durham, England, UK
8x7cm
 Viewed:  27925 Time(s)

rogerley elong 800.jpg

ian jones

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 06:50    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

I'm starting to think that elongated fluorite crystals from the northern Pennines are perhaps a bit more common than previously thought.

In my collection I have a second Blackdene and also a Boltsburn piece, and, not mentioned as a locations elsewhere, also one from Coldberry Mine, Middleton in Teesdale and an elongated and a tabular crystal from the Cement Quarry, Eastgate.

Additionally, the frontispiece in the current issue of the UK Journal of Mines & Minerals shows an elongated crystal from Frazer's Hush Mine.

However, the extremely distorted crystals like the British Museum's Boltsburn piece shown above remain exceptionally rare.

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2013 13:49    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Another unusual specimen from the Blackdene Mine. A cluster of uniformly twinned crystals with one larger tabular, untwinned crystal perched on the face. The tabular crystal is 2.5 cm on edge. I haven't seen many that show both habits on the same specimen.

Blackdene-7578r.jpg
 Description:
Fluorite with minor chalcopyrite
Blackdene Mine, Weardale, England
11x7x4 cm overall size.
A cluster of twinned crystals with one larger, untwinned, tabular crystal on the face.
 Viewed:  27746 Time(s)

Blackdene-7578r.jpg

John Medici

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2013 19:28    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Ru Smith wrote:
Fascinating specimens, John.

Do you know of any published research that attempts to explain them?

Ru, I don't think anyone has done much studying of the Delphos fluorites. My sons and I have collected most of the existing needle type fluorites and the single needles, including a few bifurcated ones, were mainly from one pocket which was oil-filled, around 3+ cm diameter, and contained no pyrites. (We were lucky to notice the micro fluorites in the oil, which we eliminated with a gasoline wash. The only person who has looked at these is George Robinson, and he took the SEM photo of the bifurcated one (which seems to be more like a single crystal than stacked cubes, although that is debatable I guess). I also gave him a piece of another pocket around 15 cm at longest dimension which contained fluorite "sheaves" and some micro pyrites, with a few cubes, as shown in the one picture (and George also has some of the petroleum from that pocket in case it has any relevant value).

Sorry for the late response; I'm often away from the computer for a week or more.

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2013 02:04    Post subject: Re: Elongate and tabular fluorite crystals - (7)  

Considering its quality and interest I numbered and moved this topic to the Featured Columns of FMF section.

For more info about how the Featured Columns of FMF section works, please use this link

BTW, Ru Smith the author of the first post in this thread and therefore creator of it is already mentioned in the THANK-YOUs for the reference thread

Jordi

Index -> Featured Columns of FMF   All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 2 of 3
  Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  

Jump to: