We use cookies to show content based on your preferences. If you continue to browse you accept their use and installation. More information. >

FMF - Friends of Minerals Forum, discussion and message board
The place to share your mineralogical experiences

Spanish message board

Newest topics and users posts
28 Mar-09:37:50 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-19:47:08 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Pete Richards)
27 Mar-16:15:44 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-15:18:59 Re: 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Alfredo)
27 Mar-14:39:29 2 unknowns co-occurring with caledonite, grand reef mine, az (Cfrench58)
27 Mar-05:21:48 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
27 Mar-05:03:26 Re: trying to find information on rose/pink quartz and tourmaline associations. (Ning)
27 Mar-02:39:50 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Tobi)
27 Mar-00:23:28 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
26 Mar-00:53:41 Re: collection of volkmar stingl (Volkmar Stingl)
25 Mar-13:32:10 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
25 Mar-00:25:58 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
23 Mar-13:35:22 Re: collection of firmo espinar (Firmo Espinar)
22 Mar-08:32:28 Re: collection of michael shaw (Michael Shaw)
22 Mar-04:20:41 Re: the mim museum in beirut, lebanon (Mim Museum)
21 Mar-22:49:19 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:47:40 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-22:45:25 Re: green seam. Looks like it in a state of decay. (Ning)
21 Mar-15:34:23 Re: the mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
21 Mar-14:35:08 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)
21 Mar-14:15:36 The 4th phoenix heritage mineral show (phms) hosted by mineralogical society of arizona (m (Chris Whitney-smith)
21 Mar-04:36:10 Re: the mizunaka collection (Tobi)
21 Mar-04:11:47 Re: jim’s mineral collection (James Catmur)
20 Mar-23:34:15 The mizunaka collection - quartz (Am Mizunaka)
20 Mar-18:13:16 Re: jim’s mineral collection (Jim Wilkinson)

For lists of newest topics and postings click here

RSS RSS

View unanswered posts

Why and how to register

Index Index
 FAQFAQ RegisterRegister  Log inLog in
 {Forgotten your password?}Forgotten your password?  

The time now is Mar 28, 2024 10:01

Search for a textSearch for a text   

A general guide for using the Forum with some rules and tips
The information provided within this Forum about localities is only given to allow reference to them. Any visit to any of the localities requires you to obtain full permission and relevant information prior to your visit. FMF is strictly against any illicit activities related to collecting minerals.
A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)

Index -> Off-Topic and Introductions

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jordi Fabre
Overall coordinator of the Forum

Access to the FMF Gallery title=

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2023 17:16    Post subject: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

Tobi wrote:

Thank you, Jordi and all the best for you!

Don Lum wrote:

...In 2012 Jordi encouraged me to post pictures of my collection. Jordi has been a source of inspiration and knowledge all these years. I cannot thank him enough. Very sad to see him retire from being a dealer.

Hello everyone,

I have always been extremely careful not to mix FMF with my professional activities, which is why I didn't want to post this until the beginning of October when I will no longer be a public seller of minerals. However, the messages from Tobi and Don have prompted me to advance this considering that even though there are still two weeks left, I will soon no longer have any commercial activity related with the public sells.

Thank you very much, Tobi and Don. I wanted to express my gratitude for your kindness and kind comments. As I am currently very short on time, I am copying things I have used before to explain my situation. I promise to return to this thread and respond to all messages starting from October 5th. In the meantime, a bit of 'feu d'artifice' as a French friend of mine played to say ;-)

A brief summary of the situation: I quit the public part of my professional activity. The Fabre Minerals website will continue to exist, but it will no longer be a sales page for minerals, becoming something more like a great Virtual Museum of the minerals that have passed through my hands. I would like this Virtual Museum to serve as a guide and help to future generations of collectors.

Both FMF Forums, Spanish and English, will continue as active as ever or even more, and I will continue to collaborate very actively with the diffusion of mineralogy in all its forms. In a very different style from the current one, but I will still be intensely involved in everything related to minerals, inanimate beings that, paradoxically, fill me with life.

I wouldn't trade the life I've lived for anything, I've always liked intensity and certainly I have had that. So many trips, so many friends, so many minerals...

Anyway, I am sure that you will continue to hear from me, mineralogically speaking, but it will no longer be through my website or exhibiting at shows but mostly here or at any place where interesting minerals could be.

Quartz after Fluorite - Akassi,_Marrakech-Safi Region_Morocco.jpg
 Mineral: 'The Screen'
 Locality:
Akassi, Tazarout, Sidi Rahal area, El Kelaâ des Sraghna Province, Marrakech-Safi Region, Morocco
 Description:
Specimen size: 28 x 21 x 11.5 cm
Main crystal size: (The screen) 16.5 x 11.5 cm

We've been offering minerals through a screen for 27 years. What better way to end our offers online than by offering a mineralogical screen!

Here you can see a screen of Fluorite pseudomorphed by Quartz!! ;-) ;-) :-)
 Viewed:  11999 Time(s)

Quartz after Fluorite - Akassi,_Marrakech-Safi Region_Morocco.jpg

Reply to topic Reply with quote

Riccardo Modanesi

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2023 08:18    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

hi Jordi!
I'm so sad you will be no longer a mineral trader! Ok, this is your choice and we all have to accept it. Neveftheless I am so sad I'm losing a reference point for Spanish minerals and a reference point in Barcelona!
Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

Hi! I'm a collector of minerals since 1973 and a gemmologist. On Summer I always visit mines and quarries all over Europe looking for minerals! Ok, there is time to tell you much much more! Greetings from Italy by Riccardo.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2023 08:42    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

I wrote this on Mindat:

In 1992, while living in Madrid, I met a Spanish mineral dealer called Jordi Fabre and I started to help him with his sales to non-Spanish clients. In 1995/96 I created a web business for him (I think he was the first mineral dealer to sell over the Internet). That business grew, and now many minerals from many dealers are sold over the Interweb.

Yesterday his business offered its last Interweb specimens and will shut down on 30/9/23.

I think we created the world's first Interweb mineral dealer and now that ends. Both Jordi and I have been involved in interweb mineral sales from 1996-2023. I will miss it all, and I am sad as it is the end of a great journey.

bob kerr

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2023 09:53    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

Greetings Jordi and I wish you the best of luck in your new "lifestyle".

I just loved your ultra poetic line:

"Inanimate beings that, paradoxically, fill me with life."

VERY appropriate for all of us.

Thanks for all you've done.

bob kerr

Tony L. Potucek

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2023 11:06    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

Jordi,
Of course, I have mixed emotions regarding your retirement as a mineral dealer. I am happy for you and have a number of fine specimens I acquired from you, which I treasure. I am sad to see you end your run under mixed circumstances.

I will continue to support your forum and I would like to post some of my past Powerpoint presentations given at various symposiums, if you want them. I thank you for your friendship, your professional ethics and decorum, and your vision regarding providing an internet venue to sell quality minerals. Marcie and I cherish our time we spent with you over the years, albeit not enough in our estimation.

Respectfully, Tony L Potucek

Jesse Fisher

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2023 11:23    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

It has been said that the only constant in life is change. After being involved with mineral collecting for around 40 years now, this is becoming all too evident. In recent years many of the dealers and other collectors I have had relationships with have moved on from the business/hobby. I always looked forward to seeing Jordi at the major shows, and without his input our collection of Spanish fluorites would be greatly impoverished. I wish him the best of luck in what ever comes next!

Cheers,
Jesse Fisher

F428-9815r.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite on Calcite
 Locality:
Llamas Quarry, Obdulia vein, Caravia mining area, Las Cabañas, Duyos, Caravia, Comarca Oriente, Principality of Asturias (Asturias), Spain
 Dimensions: 6x4x4 cm
 Description:
Acquired from Jordi Fabre in 2018.
 Viewed:  11726 Time(s)

F428-9815r.JPG

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2023 11:23    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

James Catmur wrote:
..I think we created the world's first Interweb mineral dealer a

Without you, nothing would have happened, James!

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2023 11:26    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

bob kerr wrote:

Thanks for all you've done.

And, hopefully, for everything I still have to do... 😉

Jordi Fabre

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2023 11:32    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

Jordi Fabre wrote:

...I promise to return to this thread and respond to all messages starting from October 5th.

Ricardo, Tony, Jesse... I promise to respond to all messages, but for now, I have to leave it until October 5th.

Thank you very much, everyone!

Roger Warin

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2023 14:39    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

Hello James,
It takes a lot of philosophy when the years add up.
For you, poor health does not make optimism easier.
But I believe that you have been a link in a chain and that it will not break.
Your action carried out with Jordi will not stop. On the contrary, thanks to you two, an extraordinary forum has been created. It will last because it is necessary for many collectors.
For me this forum surpasses any artificial intelligence because there is always an aficionado to resolve my questions.
I am thinking, for example, of Peter Megaw's answer on the origin of one of my colemanites.
ChatJPT was unable to correctly answer the first question I asked him:
“what were the first molecules that appeared in the nebula”.
I'm not even quoting Bing, whose answer was helium hydride.
An important step for the emergence of life!
The question was simple though.
James, Jordi, your union will never be forgotten or lost. Thank you, I had already told Jordi but I didn't know James' role.
Let me encourage you James. Your experience will remain useful to us for a long time.

James Catmur
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2023 15:30    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

Small but so elegant - a great memory

Y062, Fluorite, Baryte, La Cabana, Berbes.JPG
 Mineral: Fluorite, Baryte
 Locality:
La Cabaña, Berbes mining area, Valdelmar, Berbes, Ribadesella, Comarca Oriente, Principality of Asturias (Asturias), Spain
 Dimensions: 5 cm x 3 cm x 2 cm
 Description:
 Viewed:  11627 Time(s)

Y062, Fluorite, Baryte, La Cabana, Berbes.JPG

Carles Millan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2023 11:54    Post subject: Re: A phase coming to an end (but nothing about FMF ,-)  

Jordi Fabre has always been a very reliable and knowledgeable mineral dealer and a great person and friend. His early retirement is bad news for the entire mineral collecting world.

I've purchased 49 specimens from him in the last 23 years, many of high quality at a reasonable price. Here are just several of them.

8348M-aegirine1.jpg
 Mineral: Aegirine, Orthoclase, Zircon
 Locality:
Mount Malosa, Zomba District, Malawi
 Dimensions: 108mm x 51mm. Main aegirine crystal: 12mm wide, 92mm tall
 Description:
 Viewed:  11492 Time(s)

8348M-aegirine1.jpg

5473M-smithsonite1-JCallen.jpg
 Mineral: Smithsonite
 Locality:
Tsumeb Mine, Tsumeb, Otjikoto Region, Namibia
 Dimensions: 93 mm x 68 mm x 37mm. Largest crystal size: about 10 mm
 Description:
Photo copyright © Joaquim Callén
 Viewed:  11470 Time(s)

5473M-smithsonite1-JCallen.jpg

5632M-azurite1.jpg
 Mineral: Azurite
 Locality:
Milpillas Mine, Cuitaca, Municipio Santa Cruz, Sonora, Mexico
 Dimensions: Overall size: 70mm x 63mm x 39mm. Azurite crystal: at least 34mm tall x 27mm wide x 10mm thick
 Description:
 Viewed:  11467 Time(s)

5632M-azurite1.jpg

8135M-ilvaite1.jpg
 Mineral: Ilvaite, Calcite, Actinolite, Quartz, Andradite
 Locality:
Dalnegorsk, Dalnegorsk Urban District, Primorsky Krai, Russia
 Dimensions: 64 mm x 61 mm
 Description:
Ex Desmond Sacco collection
 Viewed:  11464 Time(s)

8135M-ilvaite1.jpg